• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Zep

Banned
Have all the games gone gold yet? Im sure MS needs time to certify these games..then getting them made.

I wonder why some games are listed on Gamestop as being released on November 7th and before the 22nd...

Kameo: Elements of Power 11/07
Perfect Dark Zero 11/07
Project Gotham Racing 3 11/07
Tony H. Amer. Wasteland 11/15
Call of Duty 2 11/15
Gun 11/15
Madden NFL 06 11/15
NBA Live 06 11/15
NFS: Most Wanted 11/15
Quake 4 11/15
Dead or Alive 4 11/18

That can't be right?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The 7th was just the estimated launch date Gamestop guessed back in August. They haven't changed their site yet.

EGM92

Just a quick question, don't know much about the X360, since Sony is going with Blu-ray is MS going with HD-DVD?

Amir0x

Banned
EGM92 said:
Just a quick question, don't know much about the X360, since Sony is going with Blu-ray is MS going with HD-DVD?

Not in 360, they're not. Some slim rumours suggesting down the line they might add HD-DVD compatability, but 360 in its current form does not do it. In any event, MS supports HD-DVD now.

Yusaku

EGM92 said:

No, but stupid people blab on about adding HD-DVD later, just like Dreamcast fans talked about a DVD-ROM version. The Xbox is stuck with what it has on November 22nd.

EGM92

Yusaku said:
No, but stupid people blab on about adding HD-DVD later, just like Dreamcast fans talked about a DVD-ROM version. The Xbox is stuck with what it has on November 22nd.

Curious to add hd-dvd support wouldn't it require a new drive? or is it possible to do it with some sort of firmware update?

Yusaku

EGM92 said:
Curious to add hd-dvd support wouldn't it require a new drive? or is it possible to do it with some sort of firmware update?

It would obviously require a new drive. Which is why you'll never see HD-DVD in the 360.

Yusaku said:

For games most definitely. Hell for anything the way HD-DVD looks to be dying.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
As I read that we'll have the chance to change our gamertags, does anyone know if the gamertag "Velocity Girl" is actually taken?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You know, regarding the stuff with ship dates for games/accessories, EB has moved up their dates for almost everything. It looks like some accessories are shipping Monday, with everything else on 11/7. Kameo has been bumped up to 11/9? I don't think these dates are guaranteed, and it would definitely be odd to have stuff on sale two-three weeks before launch, but the fact that these dates just changed, so close to launch, is a bit interesting.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=Xbox+360

MetalAlien

Banned
MetalAlien said:
Hey I got to play an XB360 at walmart today.. Kameo.. was in..

Looks GREAT... every bit as good as the FMV we used to get in the intro of PS1/Saturn games and on the covers of the old game mags... except the edges... All the textures look incredible, the lighting, the effects, the models.... everything is wondeful... but the edge of everything still looks as rough as anything this gen... Maybe they will fix this later in the life of the new machines....

You know, back when the 3DO, PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, and Model3 were all new and we were dreaming of what games would look like 10 years from then. I don't think any of us had any idea that the edges of the objects in the game would be the hardest to perfect.

Still can't wait, the games otherwise look like old CGI... that's fantasic!!

Ok, got to play the other demos today.. while I was very impressed with Kameo... I'm am not so with the others.. I'm sure they games will improve but Brothers at Arms and King Kong looks more like slightly upgraded XB1 games....

The video settings of the monitor might have something to do with it but the jaggies were pretty bad on all 3...

Yusaku

MetalAlien said:
Ok, got to play the other demos today.. while I was very impressed with Kameo... I'm am not so with the others.. I'm sure they games will improve but Brothers at Arms and King Kong looks more like slightly upgraded XB1 games....

The video settings of the monitor might have something to do with it but the jaggies were pretty bad on all 3...

I'm sure you mean Call of Duty 2. :lol

I'm suprised people can't tell the difference between an LCD running in a lower-than-native resolution and aliasing. You only notice aliasing on edges, LCD scailing will have more of a universal pixelated look.

Having seen a kiosk actually running 720p NONE of the games have a problem with AA. COD2 is the only game with any real noticable aliasing (mainly because the demo level has more contrast betwen edges than the other demos), and even then you have to really look to see it.

I'm way way more concerned with the aparent lack of AF in Kameo. Fuck that shit.

MetalAlien

Banned
Yusaku said:
I'm sure you mean Call of Duty 2. :lol

I'm suprised people can't tell the difference between an LCD running in a lower-than-native resolution and aliasing. You only notice aliasing on edges, LCD scailing will have more of a universal pixelated look.

Having seen a kiosk actually running 720p NONE of the games have a problem with AA. COD2 is the only game with any real noticable aliasing (mainly because the demo level has more contrast betwen edges than the other demos), and even then you have to really look to see it.

I'm way way more concerned with the aparent lack of AF in Kameo. Fuck that shit.

Yea that game... :)

I tried to mess with the settings but you couldn't get to the buttons on the monitor I saw... I certainly hope the jaggies are only on that screen. They were PS2 bad.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm trying real hard to pretend the 360 isn't coming out until dec.
That way when it arrives in nov I will be pleasently surprised, LOL

Chittagong

Gold Member
DaddyZ said:
Have all the games gone gold yet? Im sure MS needs time to certify these games..then getting them made.

Games go Gold when they pass certification. It's certified to fill a certain (in this case no doubt lowered) set of requirements and a reasonably low amount of killer bugs - then it gets the go ahead to the production of the Gold Master that is used for pressing the discs.

They'll probably need several rounds in cert unless MS has made the process ultra smooth. With manufacturing one week and shipping another, I'd say the final dates to pass cert and make US launch would be around Nov 8th. That's pushing it really tight, so I think actually next week might be the final week to get it through. This weekend will be hell to a poor bunch of testers!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Chittagong said:
Games go Gold when they pass certification. It's certified to fill a certain (in this case no doubt lowered) set of requirements and a reasonably low amount of killer bugs - then it gets the go ahead to the production of the Gold Master that is used for pressing the discs.

They'll probably need several rounds in cert unless MS has made the process ultra smooth. With manufacturing one week and shipping another, I'd say the final dates to pass cert and make US launch would be around Nov 8th. That's pushing it really tight, so I think actually next week might be the final week to get it through. This weekend will be hell to a poor bunch of testers!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3140492

Dave Hasle (Monolith): There's a saying among history types: "Sufficient technology, to the unsophisticated, is indistinguishable from magic." Although game developers are a more cynical lot, the same axiom holds. XNA is the laser-guided bomb of the game industry. The tools that XNA provides keep us from sweating the time-consuming little things (certification requirements, user interface grunt work, etc) and instead focus more of our energy on visuals, sound effects, and outstanding gameplay experiences. XNA shaves months from a production schedule, or more realistically, gives us those months back to do other things to make the game better. With the raised expectations in terms of production values, those shaved months are rolled back into the intense content creation and systems work that next-gen games require.

Yusaku

The wireless controller out of the box uses AA batteries, right? I'm considering buying a AA/AAA charger instead of the play and charge kit, since I have other devices I could use it with and I already have the wired PC controller.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Agent Icebeezy said:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3140492

Dave Hasle (Monolith): There's a saying among history types: "Sufficient technology, to the unsophisticated, is indistinguishable from magic." Although game developers are a more cynical lot, the same axiom holds. XNA is the laser-guided bomb of the game industry. The tools that XNA provides keep us from sweating the time-consuming little things (certification requirements, user interface grunt work, etc) and instead focus more of our energy on visuals, sound effects, and outstanding gameplay experiences. XNA shaves months from a production schedule, or more realistically, gives us those months back to do other things to make the game better. With the raised expectations in terms of production values, those shaved months are rolled back into the intense content creation and systems work that next-gen games require.

But... but... XNA Studio is out next year! Actually, instead of a HDTV, I'll get a beta version of it from MS keynote in GDC. He promised this year.

vatstep

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've already got a charger that came with my camera, so I just picked up a package of Energizer 2500mAh AAs. Cost me like eight bucks for four.

ebgames.com updated their launch release list and edited down to:

1. Kameo: Elements of Power
2. Call of Duty 2
3. Quake 4
4. Tony Hawks American Wasteland
5. Gun
6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
7. FIFA Soccer 2006
8. Need for Speed Most Wanted
9. Madden 2006
10. Live 2006
11. NBA 2k6
12. Perfect Dark Zero
13. Project Gothem Racing 3
14. Amped 3
15. King Kong
16. Dead or Alive 4
17. NHL 2k6
18. Condemned: Criminal Origins
19. Ridge Racer 6

Looks like we are closer to a real launch day list.

Speevy

Banned
krypt0nian said:
ebgames.com updated their launch release list and edited down to:

1. Kameo: Elements of Power
2. Call of Duty 2
3. Quake 4
4. Tony Hawks American Wasteland
5. Gun
6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
7. FIFA Soccer 2006
8. Need for Speed Most Wanted
9. Madden 2006
10. Live 2006
11. NBA 2k6
12. Perfect Dark Zero
13. Project Gothem Racing 3
14. Amped 3
15. King Kong
16. Dead or Alive 4
17. NHL 2k6
18. Condemned: Criminal Origins
19. Ridge Racer 6

Looks like we are closer to a real launch day list.

That's actually larger than it was before (for day one). Top Spin is of course delayed and Oblivion isn't on the list. I'll check for the other missing titles.

Speevy

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Oblivion is listed for early Dec now. =(

As long as it makes 2005, I'm very happy. Kameo is my launch title I think, followed by Oblivion.

Can you imagine how long X360 owners will be playing Oblivion? What a holiday launch game. Longest RPG ever.

vatstep

Speevy said:
Can you imagine how long X360 owners will be playing Oblivion? What a holiday launch game. Longest RPG ever.
That's probably why I'm not going to buy it at launch. With four or five other games, Oblivion will just be too much. I might just wait until there's a lull in releases to pick it up and dedicate a lot of time to it.

Keep an eye on xbox.com tonight....its been up and down again and Major nelso just posted a "Stay Tuned ;)" when asked when we could log into the site.

My xbox features may be up sooner than we thought.

EDIT - the SIGN IN button is back but not working! :D

Tonight's the night.

EDIT - ITS UP!

swordsman

Banned
Damn MS europe.. MS doesn't deploy the demo kiosks here.
What a let down here..No great promo action like Mountian dews every 10 minutes...

But nevermind only 1 month and a few days.....My fingers itch..

8bit

Knows the Score
Just spotted this on Evil Avatar:

xbox360rel7yl.jpg

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6573&

vatstep

That list is the exact same as EBs. I'd say those are the likely launch candidates. And yes, I know that EB and Gamestop are merging so it's possible that their lists could be the same for that reason, but there are subtle differences between what the two stores list as next years dates. So I'm not sure of that.

If these lists are correct, though, for me it's gonna be:

PGR3
PDZ
Kameo
COD2
King Kong (if the finished product is as good as it looks)

If Oblivion does in fact come out a week or two later, I'll probably wait to buy it until after Christmas. Madden looks okay, but it's too late in the season for me to start a new football game.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I was going to start a new thread about this, but figured it'd be okay in here:

Shouldn't we be seeing more advertising now? The only TV ads I've seen even mentioning the 360 are the every10minutes commercials, and now they seem to have stopped. I just would've thought that with launch in less than a month the ads would've started up by now. As it is I'm not feeling that much hype among people who don't follow games that much, and I think some slick commercials would really help that.

Top Bottom