• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Just how do you manage to get your hands on this stuff anyway?

I don't know how legal that would be but I say you should rip and post images of unreleased/alpha/beta games on the 'net..

Ive helped put many of the unreleased Xbox titles that are on the net out there. The problem is, I really don't like having to do community releases where everyone pitches in because of the hassle of it all and the potential for unwanted attention, but at the same time when I buy these things you start talking about 300, 400, or in this case, $450, so it isn't something I can afford to give up for free right now, so putting them online isn't my number one concern.

Unreal Championship 2: the Liandri Conflict was ahead of its time. I would love to see a studio copy what they did and add to it.i

really makes me wish that there was a way to revive the OG Xbox Live Online (similar to how Wii's online servers were revived). many great games that you can't really play online anymore (some support XBConnet & XLinkKai, but those can get really laggy)

Borman

really makes me wish that there was a way to revive the OG Xbox Live Online (similar to how Wii's online servers were revived). many great games that you can't really play online anymore (some support XBConnet & XLinkKai, but those can get really laggy)

There are, but it would be less than legal (The entire source code for the Xbox leaked, mostly privately, during the Xbox's life). I believe there is also the possibility to patch some of the System Link things for better compatibility, but I havent heard of many people taking that initiative.

So my local retro shop has a $1 bin - or fill a bag for $5. Usually, it's full of sports games, 3rd party controllers, and empty cases. I normally don't even bother looking, but my brother was with me and asked about it.

I did a $5 fill-a-bag. Among other less interesting items, I got PGR2 (complete), and a copy of Phantom Dust without the manual.

Yep - got a copy of Phantom Dust, in a retail store, for less than $1. Feeling pretty awesome right now.

IrishNinja

fuck, Stubbs went up? that one was on my list forever...

buddy just showed me that Tecmo Arcade Classics was an xbox exclusive, i literally can't say no to those compilation discs

Borman

Success!

DtmRsPg.jpg

FyreWulff

The more reliable way is to get LAN modes working.

The problem with getting original Xboxes to work again is you need to do more than a basic master list match like what you had to do to get Wii working, you have to replace the entire account/etc system to even convince the Xbox to let you go online.

Borman

The more reliable way is to get LAN modes working.

The problem with getting original Xboxes to work again is you need to do more than a basic master list match like what you had to do to get Wii working, you have to replace the entire account/etc system to even convince the Xbox to let you go online.

Like I said, people have the source code for nearly everything on the Xbox. It isn't impossible.

Kowalski

Banned
I actually still have my original Xbox. It's been modded with XBMC and replaced the stock drive with a 500GB.

I have roughly 30+ games on it.

Still a great machine, which I have my four year old play Forza Motorsports on.

Can't forget that I also have two of the DUKE controllers and one small Halo edition controller.

Did Hori ever make a pad for the original Xbox? (lol) It seems like a stupid question, but they did make one for the 3DO in Japan, so anything is possible I suppose. I really want a nice d-pad for the Xbox.

Nope, completely unrelated

aRWuu9j.jpg

Is that the Fuel logo as part of the HUD? Don't forget what you are playing!

Borman

Did Hori ever make a pad for the original Xbox? (lol) It seems like a stupid question, but they did make one for the 3DO in Japan, so anything is possible I suppose. I really want a nice d-pad for the Xbox.

Is that the Fuel logo as part of the HUD? Don't forget what you are playing!

You collect the letters as you play to get boosts.

What are some good (or just interesting) obscure japanese xbox games? ntsc-j exclusive

I've already got some of the obvious ones- metal wolf chaos, the shikigami games, psyvariar, dinosaur hunting, magatama.

REDSLATE

What are some good (or just interesting) obscure japanese xbox games? ntsc-j exclusive

I've already got some of the obvious ones- metal wolf chaos, the shikigami games, psyvariar, dinosaur hunting, magatama.

Not good, but definitely interesting: SMT NINE
I've heard positive things about Rent-a-Hero No. 1.

[Didn't see that you'd already listed Dinosaur Hunting. Removed that as a suggestion.]

Borman

Thousand Land is a tough one for those of us with limited japanese knowledge.

Rent a Hero has a leaked English version. And i own an English Dinosaur Hunting

I actually still have my original Xbox. It's been modded with XBMC and replaced the stock drive with a 500GB.

I have roughly 30+ games on it.

Still a great machine, which I have my four year old play Forza Motorsports on.

Can't forget that I also have two of the DUKE controllers and one small Halo edition controller.

I dug out my OG xbox the other day to show my little nephew what games before his time were like, he thought forza 1 still looked good.

He became hooked on playing sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog, however :S

REDSLATE

Thousand Land is a tough one for those of us with limited japanese knowledge.

Rent a Hero has a leaked English version. And i own an English Dinosaur Hunting

They are all Japanese exclusives as requested.

You should upload the NA Dinosaur Hunting as it has yet to be archived.

what little I played of Rent A Hero seemed boring, but people say it picks up. it's a very good example of a quirky sega game, that's for sure.

thelastword

Banned
Red Ninja came out on XBOX too ? didn't know that. It was definitely the best xbox for me, so many awesome games. Ninja Gaiden, JSRF, HALO CE, GUN VALKYRIE, OTOGI's etc..and of course all the Sega games, Sega really sealed the purchase for me. I since sold it to a friend who constantly bugged me about selling it to him but in the end it was an XMBC machine for me which was great in and of itself.

Is it just me but did the xbox have a unique and pleasant smell? It seems like it persisted through quite a bit of use as well.

Borman

They are all Japanese exclusives as requested.

You should upload the NA Dinosaur Hunting as it has yet to be archived.

It is archived, but not publicly, like many games I have. Not that I am unwilling, but throwing away $350 isnt fun either hah.

Khaz

I'm learning about softmodding my console so I can play other region games in 480p. I want to make the least modifications possible, but the Internet is a bit confusing for me right now. Is it possible to have a slightly modified dash with just the added 480p option and region-free? All the tutorials I see replace the dash to something entirely different with loads of fancy options, which are probably great to expand the usefulness of the console but it's not what I'm after.

I'm trying to keep the experience as authentic as possible, how do I do that?

REDSLATE

It is archived, but not publicly, like many games I have. Not that I am unwilling, but throwing away $350 isnt fun either hah.

I got you. Maybe if you got enough people to chip in a few bucks each, it'd soften the blow. Kickstarter?

Not a high priority, but it's cool to have access to otherwise unobtainable game content. The Red Star is a good example of this.

Borman

I'm learning about softmodding my console so I can play other region games in 480p. I want to make the least modifications possible, but the Internet is a bit confusing for me right now. Is it possible to have a slightly modified dash with just the added 480p option and region-free? All the tutorials I see replace the dash to something entirely different with loads of fancy options, which are probably great to expand the usefulness of the console but it's not what I'm after.

I'm trying to keep the experience as authentic as possible, how do I do that?

Basically all you need to do is convert to NTSC for 480p support. The extra dashes arent necessary

I got you. Maybe if you got enough people to chip in a few bucks each, it'd soften the blow. Kickstarter?

Not a high priority, but it's cool to have access to otherwise unobtainable game content. The Red Star is a good example of this.

Ive done it in the past, but things take months and its a headache. If someone wanted to organize it and send me the money when they have it, that is my preferred way. Ive had 2 or 3 people say they would do it for DH, but they didnt follow through which just highlights why I dont do it myself hah. Ive made a lot of unreleased content available for the Xbox :)

Tain

Is Murakumo actually any good? I remember liking a video of it I saw waaaay back when it came out but I heard it wasn't a very good game.

I got a review copy of Rent-A-Hero No. 1 in '03 and finally got a chance to play it when I got a modded Xbox. It's a shame there isn't an Xbox emulator, because it's a pain to hook that giant system up just to play it. I definitely need to get some good component cables on this thing though - my current ones lead to some iffy-looking video.

Borman

I got a review copy of Rent-A-Hero No. 1 in '03 and finally got a chance to play it when I got a modded Xbox. It's a shame there isn't an Xbox emulator, because it's a pain to hook that giant system up just to play it.

If you have an original disk, Im always happy to work something out hah

Borman

It's just a review disc burned onto a DVD-R - it still requires a modded system, so just downloading the ISO and burning a disc would accomplish the same thing.

Some of them look nicer or come with review guides/fact sheets hah. And what can i say, originals are fun.

Khaz

If youre softmodded, you would be able to play any region. A lot of them should work without issue, but there is always a chance itll be a bit buggy.

I just downloaded the various stuff to softmod. The Xbox was able to recognise the USB drive and format it, I could transfer the hacked saves from the PC to the USB drive with the correct software, and from the USB drive to the console. However I was unable to backup my own game saves, the console kept telling me that the "transfer failed". Any thoughts on that? I wish I could backup my stuff, just in case anything goes wrong. I haven't started the mod yet, I have to wait until Monday so I can pick up the game ^^

Some of them look nicer or come with review guides/fact sheets hah. And what can i say, originals are fun.

That's how my Atlus PS2 review discs came - which was nice since the games lacked manuals and man should their stuff not come barren. LOTS of note-taking for major gameplay points.

Top Bottom