• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

A third party component cable I had gave me severe ghosting yet worked fine on my friends Xbox so I'd probably go for an official Microsoft one if you're able to. Also I think I've bought Jet Set Radio about 4 times now on different platforms. Maybe that will show Sega how bad I want a JSRF re-release. Did anyone ever play much of Toejam and Earl 3? The first is one of my favorite games ever, but I never played the 3rd beyond the demo for some reason. I heard it wasn't the best but wouldn't mind trying it again.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Xbox versions of the Splinter Cell games are still the best, right? Vaguely remember the PC ports having problems.

Just missing Double Agent and then my collection is complete.

Xbox versions of the Splinter Cell games are still the best, right? Vaguely remember the PC ports having problems.

Just missing Double Agent and then my collection is complete.

Chaos Theory looks amazing on PC but does require a bit of fiddling to get running perfect with a 360 controller, like the triggers don't register in the game's controls settings and there's no way to quick save while using a controller like you can on the Xbox version. What I did was map every button that you can in game to how it was on an Xbox controller and use this Xpadder profile in conjunction with my in game settings. http://www.mediafire.com/download/80c21eo848c88lj/chaos+theory.xpadderprofile

As for the first two, I don't think there's any controller support and Xpadder doesn't really work well with them because you have to scroll the mouse wheel to increase/decrease walking speed which is really awkward to map to a controller. Also Pandora Tomorrow has some graphical issues with shadows on modern PC's. Due to that and some other control issues, unless you're really into using a keyboard, I think playing those games is best on an original Xbox or a 360 where they benefit from increased resolution. The PS3 HD trilogy is a decent choice too, but there's some pretty severe slowdown in parts like on the oil tanker level.

oneida

Thanks ^^

My OGXB collection looks like:

Crimson Skies
Soul Calibur II
Phantom Dust
Shenmue II
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi
Otogi 2
Jade Empire
Ninja Gaiden
OutRun 2
OutRun 2006
Star Wars KotOR
Dead or Alive Ultimate (1&2)
Dead or Alive 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell PT
Splinter Cell CT
X-Men Legends
Indiana Jones Emperor's Tomb
007 Everything or Nothing

I wanna pick up Gunvalkyrie soon.

Phreaker

I just got the game but it won't wont work on my Slim since I need hard drive grrr

But I eventually played it on my brothers Xbox and its such an amazing game so far. I really wanna play 4 player multiplayer on it.

Yeah, backward compatibly requires the hard drive, glad you are able to play it though and enjoying it.

You can still play multiplayer, if you're willing to download and install Xlink Kai on a PC. There are still people that play it. It even has a "Phantom Dust" room under Xbox / Fighters.

Borman

Yeah, backward compatibly requires the hard drive, glad you are able to play it though and enjoying it.

You can still play multiplayer, if you're willing to download and install Xlink Kai on a PC. There are still people that play it. It even has a "Phantom Dust" room under Xbox / Fighters.

Really though the only game with regular people playing is Halo 2.

oneida

Another one down.

g3dYC0i.jpeg

Teknoman

Is there any way to fix the disc tray getting stuck, aside from having to smack the top of your Xbox when you press eject?

Borman

Is there any way to fix the disc tray getting stuck, aside from having to smack the top of your Xbox when you press eject?

Depends on the issue really. Could help to grease the drive properly, or fiddle with the belt (or even replace it).

Seik

Banned
Loved the OG Xbox, still have mine, but now it starts having problems reading discs, even after a cleanup, there's some specific games, like JSRF, that doesn't work on my Xbox and works on other's. I guess the laser is getting weak. :(

May get another soon though. There's many games that makes the console worth keeping.

tripleV

Damn I loved that machine. Panzer, Otogi 1 and 2, Project Gotham 2, Ninja Gaiden...I also painted mine after reading a "how to" in the official XBOX magazine. Wish I had pictures of it but now just have my black one that still works today although the disc drive gets stuck every now and then. My first online addictions were Unreal Tournament and Capcom SNK 2. Sucked my life away during my college years...I loved the duke as well, good times.

Borman

Just played DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball with a friend for far longer than I would like to admit. There may have been beer involved, but still really fun.

neoxdonut

The thread made me plug in my old xbox but I think somethings wrong, no picture on the tv and a olid orange light on the front of it.

I love the original Xbox. It pretty much got me to start buying better cables to start experiencing better picture and 5.1 surround sound. I ended up buying most multiplatform games on it.

Second biggest console game collection I have. First is Sega Genesis.

Note: I also had Halo, but I lent it to a friend and he never gave it back. I gotta pick that up next time I'm back in Miami...
Also, Conflict: Desert Storm was some game a friend of mine bought and left with me since he didn't have an Xbox anymore. It seems to be a pretty bad game, but I only watched my friend play it.

Storm360

Is it possible to get X-Link Kai working on my set up?

(PC - Wireless to router)
(Xbox/Xbox360 - Ethernet into back of PC)

I had this set up working months ago, but that was on a different windows install, and when it was working, I only played with a PS2 so not sure if its something on the xbox end?

Borman

If its been in a garage, start by cleaning the lens and all that. Worst case scenario is you can replace the drive if you care.

And the XLink setup should work fine, Ive tested it through wireless. Your router is more likely to give issues depending on how its handling everything.

Storm360

And the XLink setup should work fine, Ive tested it through wireless. Your router is more likely to give issues depending on how its handling everything.

Odd, i'll spend more time tinkering with it when I get the chance, the console is just not being detected at all, and i'm not getting any response what so ever from the game

Would it be easier to change my 360 to connect through wifi?

(Also, P.S, is there much of a community outside of Latin America? Seems to be the only place I can find players, could it be a PAL/NTSC thing?)

Borman

Odd, i'll spend more time tinkering with it when I get the chance, the console is just not being detected at all, and i'm not getting any response what so ever from the game

Would it be easier to change my 360 to connect through wifi?

(Also, P.S, is there much of a community outside of Latin America? Seems to be the only place I can find players, could it be a PAL/NTSC thing?)

Not really for the LA thing, but if I hop on Ill play on there because there are actually people hah. So there are English-speaking people.

Not sure on the Wifi, but it might help. Ive had issues in the past where the wifi and wired connections are on separate subnets and such.

Storm360

Not really for the LA thing, but if I hop on Ill play on there because there are actually people hah. So there are English-speaking people.

Not sure on the Wifi, but it might help. Ive had issues in the past where the wifi and wired connections are on separate subnets and such.

I'll hop over to the 360 and try it out in a bit I guess, thanks for the help

Storm360

Yeah, not having any luck at all with X-Link

Tried my original Xbox wired into back of PC with ICS, a bridged connection and no link what so ever, with no response, tried the same with my 360, and it even signs into live through this set up, but no response from x link finding the console, along with trying my 360 wireless

(My original Xbox has the splinter cell mod if it matters, and my 360 is a slim)

Cyprus

Banned
I still use my OG Xbox as a media player and mario kart 64 machine. I'm so amazed how far XBMC has come since I have used it for so long. I still love hacking v1.0 and v1.1 consoles through telnet.

CNCOMICS

$_12.JPG

So much good nostalgia in this thread. I just remembered I need to get Night of the Quinkan to finish the Ty trilogy.

Thinking back I can't remember too many games that stood out as true timeless classics, but perhaps that says more about my taste in games.

Thinking back I can't remember too many games that stood out as true timeless classics, but perhaps that says more about my taste in games.

Hmm, I think both Project Gotham Racing 2 and Halo qualify.

I always thought it was weird that, by a lot of people, Halo is seen as really good 'for a console shooter'. Except, I was way deep into PC games at that time, having played everything from Half-Life and Counterstrike to Quake 1 through 3 and Unreal Tournament and I still thought Halo offered something those PC games lacked. Certainly not in terms of input precision or whatever, but it looked incredible and something about it felt a lot more weighty than anything on PC at that time. Great game.

webkatt

I loved my OG Xbox, I remember buying it from a Blockbuster of all places, pretty much because I got a free month of unlimited game rentals when I did. I picked it up around the time that Morrowind was coming out because not only did Morrowind look absolutely incredible, the Xbox was a hell of a lot cheaper than upgrading my PC to be able to play it.

When I got it, I realized something. It was, for the time, the ultimate in gaming excess.

I mean look at this sexy
beast
monstrosity.

cCpQD2Otgn4RbANa.medium

It... was... glorious...

and the specs

Nothing could touch it at the time, and the price was insane for that level of power. The specs and the price meant that to me, especially since I was still bitter at Sony at the time for killing my beloved Sega, it was the best choice that generation. I mean, that system just says it gives no fucks about anything other than being a power gaming behemoth. Ok, yeah I keep saying it was big, Because it was.

But beyond that, it also actually took what MS learned when it worked with Sega on the Dreamcast and evolved it to the next level. High speed internet only, no modems allowed. Voice chat as the primary means of communication online. A console that was essentially a PC, hard-drive and all. It was powerful, easy to program for, and had great games.

Games like:

Halo
Halobox.jpg

Halo defined the shooter on consoles. Bungie was PC royalty, and them being bought out by MS in order to launch the Xbox changed the face of gaming. Yeah, Goldeneye was popular, but Halo controlled with a level of fluidity that earlier FPSes could only dream of. That and, repetition and all, its Single-player campaign was pure magic, mix that in with couch coop, up to 16 player lan style multiplayer, and mind blowing graphics for the time, and console gaming would never be the same.

Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge
Crimson_Skies_High_Road_to_Revenge_Boxart.jpg

I love this game. I love this game in ways that aren't healthy. This game was so damned different than pretty much any flight game on consoles before or since. It mixed flying with adventure, and it's online muliplayer was just amazing. And come one, it had SKY PIRATES! Take that, Ace Combat. Back then you didn't need to be an FPS to have a great time in multi, and I can't say enough about this title.

MechAssault:
MechAssault_Coverart.png

MechWarrior never worked on consoles. It wasn't a matter of power, but even the best control pad simply couldn't pull off the complex controls that would be required for a hardcore mech sim. So, FASA decided to make a more action based mech shooter. And it was one of the best games on the system. Add in Online via the nascent Xbox-live (it was a pack in), and you were in for a lot of Loki killing. You can never get enough of that.

Jet Set Radio Future
JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

Game of the gen. Take Jet Grind Radio, take out the horrible time limit, make the controls a wee bit more forgiving, and expand the world, and you get pure perfection. Not only was this game drop dead gorgeous, it was a hell of a lot of fun to play. The different districts were art, pure and simple, and exploring them while grinding, tricking, and tagging is some of the most fun you will ever have. Add on to that a huge cast of characters to unlock, and an unforgettable soundtrack, and you reach gaming nirvana.

Shenmue II

220px-ShenmueIIxboxcover.jpg

Game of the forever. Yeah, it came out on dreamcast, and yeah, that one was subtitled. But if you were in the US, this was what you needed to play. It was Shenmue one, with a lot more scope, and a little less detail. This was the game that turned the Shenmue Defense Force into the rabid lunatics that we continue to be today. Shenmue was the appetizer, this was when we realized the sheer depths of insanity that Yu Suzuki was willing to dive into to give us his magnum opus. No other game would touch the ambition of this title again.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
256px-Panzercover.jpg

This game came out nearly 11 years ago. It still looks fantastic. How they pulled these graphics off two gens ago I will never know. Smilebit was at the top of its game during the Xbox, and it showed. Take Zwei, crank it up to 11, and you get this. One of the best rail shooters of all time. It should have sold better. People suck.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
1228654991-00.jpg

Yeah, it came out on PC too, but in many ways this game defined what made the Xbox different than the other systems at the time. No other system could come close to giving console players a game of this scope. Morrowind was massive. And unlike Daggerfall the world was interesting to explore, the music was amazing. Jeremy Soule's main theme is still used to this day, but many consider his first rendition, Nerevar Rising to be the best of the bunch. Listen to it and don't get goosebumps, I dare you. With Morrowind the CRPG came crashing on to consoles, and it forced people to take notice. Other Elder Scrolls games might have been more polished, but none were as interesting.

Knights of the Old Republic I and II
xbox-kotor-101010-01.jpg

Bioware was making an RPG for consoles. A Star Wars RPG for consoles. It was simply unbelievable. A lot of people view the first game as the beginning of Biowares descent into mediocrity. They are wrong. KoTOR was a great game. True it started a lot of the Bioware formula, but that didn't make it any less revolutionary at the time. It was a Bioware game, fully voiced, mixed with Star Wars that didn't suck, which in 2003 was rather important as Episode 2 was still fresh in everyone's minds. KOTOR2 was in many ways a better game, and in many ways a worse one, but it is my favorite of the two. Kreia alone is the most interesting thing ever done in Star Wars, and being able to affect your party, and the amazing story being told far outweigh the fact that the release date actually got PUSHED UP and the game was rushed out the door unfinished.

Steel Battalion
76817-noscale-23214-steelbattalioncontroller.jpg

You know what I said about Mech sims and consoles. Disregard it. God I need to finally get this game. The controller is just too cool for words. Capcom you were so great back then.

Dead or Alive 3

250px-Dead_Or_Alive_3.jpg

This game looked amazing, and was an early reason to get an Xbox. Yeah Virtua Fighter is a better series, but DoA always did have it beat in pick up and play fun. I love this series, and DoA3 is what cemented that love. Plus, she kicks high.

Ninja Gaiden Black
ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg

This game. Oh lord this game. Character action at its finest. Tons of weapons, amazing gameplay, and graphics that STILL looked great years into the next generation. Ninja Gaiden is the best game of its type ever made. Tight gameplay, bloody fun combat, hard as hell difficulty. It has yet to be topped. Itagaki may be MIA, but he will always be remembered for this beauty. This is the best version of the game too. if you haven't played Ninja Gaiden Black, you haven't played the true version of this game.

and these games really are just scratching the surface. The Xbox was a breath of fresh air in the console space, and it really did so much to really bring more and more top western devs into the scene. This system had a great library.

The best way to play this bad boy is to hunt one down for yourself. Yeah the Xbox 360 has "backwards compatibility" but it generally sucks. Even games that are compatible often suffer from painfully bad slowdown (JSRF is unplayable in some areas.) and even more of them simply don't run at all.

And despite the fact that after it was hacked the Xbox had a metric crapton of emulators created for it, we still don't have an emulator for this thing. That blows my mind. Yeah yeah, I know emulation is hard, but come on, we have a pretty amazing Wii and PS2 emulation scene, yet the Xbox sits unloved in a corner. It's shameful.

So yeah, this thread is about loving all things Xbox, so share your memories, lost gems that you remember, and memories about hacking the thing. Anything at all really. Let's bask in the memories of a time when MS really cared about gaming.

If you were to mod your OG box, emulation would not be a problem.

Havoc2049

XBConsole.jpg

Halo2Pic.jpg

Love the Xbox! My favorite console of all time! It also had my favorite launch line-up as well, with Halo, DOA3 and PGR.

With all the Sega love and the continuation of the DOA and MSR/PGR series on the Xbox, I was in Dreamcast 2 heaven.

Sooo many great Sega games...
Gunvalkyrie
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Shenmue II
Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II
Crazy Taxi 3
House of the Dead 3 (w/shotgun lightguns FTW!!)
Headhunter Redemption
Jet Set Radio Future
Sega GT 2002
Otogi I & II
Outrun 2 & Outrun 2006

Then all the awesome time via LAN, XboxConnect and Xbox Live with games like Halo, Brute Force, Halo 2, PGR2, Unreal Championship, MechAssault, Phantasy Star Online, RTCW, Crimson Skies, Outrun 2, Dead or Alive: Ultimate, Splinter Cell: Spies vs Mercs, etc...Good times indeed.

Then sooo many other AAA games and hidden gems as well.

Hmm, I think both Project Gotham Racing 2 and Halo qualify.

I always thought it was weird that, by a lot of people, Halo is seen as really good 'for a console shooter'. Except, I was way deep into PC games at that time, having played everything from Half-Life and Counterstrike to Quake 1 through 3 and Unreal Tournament and I still thought Halo offered something those PC games lacked. Certainly not in terms of input precision or whatever, but it looked incredible and something about it felt a lot more weighty than anything on PC at that time. Great game.

Actually, in fairness, yeah Halo was perhaps the 'modern' DOOM in that it helped establish the FPS genre (again). Great storytelling and decent gameplay.

I still have the console, unfortunately renting was not illegal in Belgium at that time so I actually rented the large majority of what I played on it. I only own Brute force and Halo 1 on it so I never hook it up again since Halo has been rereleased on a more modern platform and Brute force is garbage. Also having giant man-hands mean I'm a huge fan of The duke and still think that was the most comfortable controller I've ever used.

Top Bottom