• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami video

That looked even better than I expected it too. It's still hard to figure out how exactly the game will play, but it looks amazing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that looks amazing, far better even than the screens would suggest. and i love how quickly the wolf moves. kamiya's got a history of style over substance, but i'm really pulling for this one.

Falch

Wooh, that looks incredible.

About the game (from IGN):

The first original title from Capcom's Clover Studio -- headed up by Viewtiful Joe producer Atsushi Inaba. Okami takes place in a time when people still believed in the existence of God. The world has become a lifeless place, as shown in the game's use of pen-and-paper style visuals. Playing as Ama Terasu, a sun god who takes on the form of a wolf, your goal is to bring life back to the world. Bringing life back to the world involves defeating lots of beasts. With each beast you defeat, the world's life force is restored just a bit, with colors and eventually people appearing. Famitsu reveals two of the game's main beasts, the Ama no Jyaku and the Nue. Ama no Jyaku has the ability to peep on what others are thinking and disturbs them by doing the opposite of what they want. Nue, meanwhile, gains strength with every sip of the alcohol that he carries with him.

In an interesting twist, humans see Ama Terasu as a mere ordinary wolf, minus the metallic "Yata no Kagami" plate on his back. Thankfully, you don't have to speak with people as Ama Terasu can read the minds of those around him.

Specific game mechanics haven't been revealed, nor has release information.

Sounds interesting.

belgurdo

Banned
In an interesting twist, humans see Ama Terasu as a mere ordinary wolf, minus the metallic "Yata no Kagami" plate on his back. Thankfully, you don't have to speak with people as Ama Terasu can read the minds of those around him.

His?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
So sold.

I wanted it just from screens, but if it looks like that in motion and is from the guy who made Viewtiful Joe, there's no way I'm not getting it.

Unless it's not brought over of course, though Capcom seem pretty good at releasing games in the west that a lot of companies perhaps wouldn't.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Clover Studios is going to do some amazing things for us.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:
Stunning. Nintendo should be kicking themselves for not jumping on that Capcom investment...

VJ, Killer 7, Re4, Okami. Would of fit in well with 2 of the Capcom 5 (4). :p

Oh wait, nothing stoping that from happening now ... on PS2.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wow, beautifull, most artistic game i've ever seen thats for sure, i mean, i was dreaming of a day where games could get really closed to an hand drawn feel, and thats what okami is delivering, even the black lines on the models are "shaking" to mimic an old school animation where the cels werent always perfectly placed.

I just hope it comes to the US. More reasons why we shouldnt hurry to the next gen, developers are just starting to feel comfortable with the hardware of this gen and are starting to express their visions without too much hassle, going with next gen hardware, it will start back at zero, back to learning a new architecture (especially multi CPU ones, wont be easy..), new graphic methods, investing huge ammounts of money to create complex models to compete against other bigger studios, complex lighting and shadow algorythms, shaders up the wazoo, etc.

daMandus

seismologist said:
cool. I bet this might even come to the US.

In Edge 138 there is a feature on Clover Studio and Inaba say that he can't see the Japanese soul of the game to be a cultural barrier and that it could be understood overseas as well.

They want to make games that are for all the markets, if it's a good game it will work anywhere.

Just because Inaba sees it as likely to do well in all markets doesn't mean that others at Capcom will.

Amaterasu is a sun goddess actually. She hid in a cave after her brother, Susano-o threw a dead horse in her house and frightened her maids into killing themselves with their needles. She is also supposed to be an ancestor of the first emperor.

From the pictures I thought it was going to be some weird game with a talking dog.
Now the gameplay looks like a pure action game so I can see how it would work in this market.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it really does look incredible... so, is it kind of an action rpg? i see lots of npc interaction, but the combat looks purely DMC/NG

daMandus

Diomedeskun said:
Just because Inaba sees it as likely to do well in all markets doesn't mean that others at Capcom will.

Apperently thats one of the reasons for setting up Clover Studio.

And by that I don't say the game will see a world wide release, just that the chances are some what increased.

Koshiro

Everyone needs to rally around this game and buy the hell out of it (ten copies each) just to make sure Clover continue to exist. :)

Oh and buy VJ2 too.

3phemeral

Wow, the art direction in this game is amazing. I can't believe I avoided this thread because I didn't recognize the title. Stunning *_* Love it love it love it :)

pcostabel

Gold Member
OMG! That was amazing! The animation of the wolf is breathtaking! And the animal's models, the monsters, the deers... simply beautiful. Pray the gods this game will be successful, I want more NPR games to be made. Hopefully, it won't be another ICO...

ourumov

It's an awesome game !!!

I like the locations, I like the art and if the trailer is any indication I seem to love the music too !!!

Ok. That was something. Fast, clean, smooth -- everything that smattering of screenshots wasn't. I'm so happy to see the visuals match the character designs near perfectly. The inky wind, terraforming land, and music show that detail is everywhere. Lots of wall-jumping I hope and many massive bosses -- that last shot of Orochi the 8-headed dragon was stunning.

Zenny

Banned
A lot of you might not acknowledge the play on words of the title. 'kami' means paper,
like the ink and paper style that we see. Okami meaning 'wolf'.
The game is absolutely stunning, and has just that touch of class and visuals unseen in a video game for a long time. Brilliant.
Release for Japanese version set for some time 2005, so we are probably looking at a late Nov 2005 for the domestic US version, but I'm only guessing here folks.
This game is a dead certain purchase for me.

Top Bottom