• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? More GBA cart detection for DS games

cvxfreak

In Kimi no tame nara Shineru, having these following GBA carts in the GBA slot of the DS unlocks clothing and wigs for characters in the game.

Software title --- Parts unlocked
Sonic Advance --- Sonic
Sonic Advance 2 --- Chao
Sonic Advance 3 --- Ulala
Puyo Puyo Fever --- Puyo Puyo
Sonic Pinball Party --- Nights

http://game-science.com/news/000865.html

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there are going to be any forthcoming GBA games that will take advantage of the DS wireless for multiplayer?

I don't see why it couldn't work if it was planned and programmed for.

cvxfreak

scola said:
I wonder if there are going to be any forthcoming GBA games that will take advantage of the DS wireless for multiplayer?

I don't see why it couldn't work if it was planned and programmed for.

I doubt it. The GBA Wireless Adapter would be more appropriate given that there are millions of them thanks to Pokemon.

Nester

CVXFREAK said:
I doubt it. The GBA Wireless Adapter would be more appropriate given that there are millions of them thanks to Pokemon.

Has it been confirmed already that GBA Wireless Adapter enabled games do not work with the DS proprietary wireless?

Coen

CVXFREAK said:

Wouldn't it be possible to support both?

aoi tsuki

Coen said:
Wouldn't it be possible to support both?
DS can't use the adapter since the adapter uses the link port IIRC. And the DS WiFi is incompatible with the Wireless Adapter, developed by Motorola, which operates on another frequency range than WiFi.

ulala2.jpg

Coen

aoi tsuki said:
DS can't use the adapter since the adapter uses the link port IIRC. And the DS WiFi is incompatible with the Wireless Adapter, developed by Motorola, which operates on another frequency range than WiFi.

Yeah, you're right, but wouldn't it be possible for GBA developers to insert both the Wireless Adapter support protocol (or whatever it would be called) and the DS WiFi support protocol? 'Cause I thought that was the original question. :)

I know both protocols wouldn't interact, but it would be possible to let GBA games interact both with multiple DSs or multiple wireless adapters, right?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Now I thought this lack of support was terrible until I realized I don't play GBA games multiplayer, and never owned an e-reader.

cvxfreak

It's not like I like the e-Reader or anything, but I was hoping that thing would work so the DS could _TECHNICALLY_ hook up to the GC, but alas, no luck.

Nester

Coen said:
Yeah, you're right, but wouldn't it be possible for GBA developers to insert both the Wireless Adapter support protocol (or whatever it would be called) and the DS WiFi support protocol? 'Cause I thought that was the original question. :)

Forget about the DS WiFi, I wanted the other wireless option in the DS to work with the GBA wireless adapters. It would have made sense.

aoi tsuki

Coen said:

I know both protocols wouldn't interact, but it would be possible to let GBA games interact both with multiple DSs or multiple wireless adapters, right?
No, because they operate on different frequencies. i'm sure the frequency range is locked, and regardless, it would have to pass FCC approval to operate legally in a different range that the one it's specified for AFAIK.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The eReader link port merely passes through to the GBA link port. It would do no good in the DS.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
CVXFREAK said:
In Kimi no tame nara Shineru, having these following GBA carts in the GBA slot of the DS unlocks clothing and wigs for characters in the game.

Software title --- Parts unlocked
Sonic Advance --- Sonic
Sonic Advance 2 --- Chao
Puyo Puyo Fever --- Puyo Puyo
Sonic Pinball Party --- Nights

http://game-science.com/news/000865.html

Just in case anyone else was as confused as I was, Kimi no tame nara Shineru is Feel the Magic.

It looks like I'll unlock Sonic and Nights outfits only. Drat.

Did Sonic Team / Sega have ANYTHING to do with the GBA Crazy Taxi or Space Channel 5?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the ereader problem is that on the american version of ereader, the linkport passthru gets in the way of the unit. it phyically can't plug in.

the logisitical problem is that the ereader has no link port, so even if you bought a japanese model without linkport pass thry, you wouldn't be able to use it for much else besides scanning in mini games.

cvxfreak

DavidDayton said:
The eReader link port merely passes through to the GBA link port. It would do no good in the DS.

That didn't stop the SP from working with it.

But wait, when the SP used it, did we use the link port on the SP or on the e-Reader? I think it was the SP one.

borghe

CVXFREAK said:

But wait, when the SP used it, did we use the link port on the SP or on the e-Reader? I think it was the SP one.
you used it on the SP.

but that still doesn't change the fact that the american ereader is physicallly unable to connect to the DS. The link pass thru is physically blocked by the DS (the SP was designed so that the link pass thru went over the top of the SP)

snapty00

Banned
CVXFREAK said:

Dude, it doesn't matter. Like someone already said, the e-Reader is just a pass-through to the GBA.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
krypt0nian said:
zero E-Reader support...
This might be a stupid question but how could it not work?
If the DS bangs out GBA emulation with no probs... Um hang on, does it even fit?
What's the deal?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
a) it wouldn't fit, the port barely grazed by on the GBAsp the DS is slightly more thick.

b) there is no link cable port the e-readers was a pass through, it wasn't the e-Reader that sent the info, but the GBA.

think about it

OK so if the reason for eReader not fitting being given is the link pass-through, what aboput if someone just chopped that off? Wouldn't expect a great many to do that, but hey.

borghe

JoshuaJSlone said:
OK so if the reason for eReader not fitting being given is the link pass-through, what aboput if someone just chopped that off? Wouldn't expect a great many to do that, but hey.
yes, that would work completely. (or you could import an original japanese ereader)

the problem is all you can do with it at that point is scan cards. granted you could still use animal crossing cards with a password, but that's it. no pokemon ru/sa cards, no SMB3 cards, no animal crossing island, etc. just minigames from cards.

Mofo

So, to get back on topic... the US version of Feel the Magic does in fact have the same unlockables. Or, at least, Sonic Advance does indeed unlock a Sonic head in Maniac mode.

I'm just upset that I got rid of Sonic Pinball a few months back - would have been cool to inappropriately touch a girl wearing Nights headgear...

FoneBone

Kobun Heat said:
Oh shit, GBA cart detection can work retroactively? Imagine the possibilities.
I pretty much assumed that that was how the Dash-Emerald thing worked, since it didn't seem like the game was actually getting any data from the GBA cart.

Top Bottom