• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG, NIS to localize Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana!!!

ferricide

jarrod said:
Taito's Ys Remakes, Shining Tears, Tengai Makyou 2-3, Home Land or Stella Deus...
this has been in the works for months. shining tears and the ys remakes are still fresh, and almost certainly shining tears is being shopped around right now. and has everyone forgotten that tengai makyou: namida popped up on EB coming from konami? it hasn't disappeared, either. i personally couldn't care less about the tengai makyou 2 remake. i mean, a 16-bit playing RPG now? i have enough really good JRPGs to play already.

i imagine stella deus will probably find its home at atlus USA. it looks like the kind of game they'd do (as opposed to growlanser, i mean.) but they also have to examine it as well, certainly. that one's not out in japan yet, either, so it's awfully early to complain about it yet.

NIS is trying to find games that will appeal to the fans of its games. and i agree that shining tears or stella deus could do so, too, but they're almost certainly spoken for. i think we'll see both of them in the US. this game is cute and it's a fan-favorite series in japan -- kind of like NIS' own games are. so it only makes sense for them to approach it. personally, i've always wanted to try an atelier game, so i'm excited that they're bringing this out here. even if it turns out to be average.

what's home land?

jarrod

Banned
True, I think both Stella Deus and Shining Tears will make it regardless... and Konami is on the prowl for RPGs so Tengai from them seems likely (given they're Hudson's parent company now)... but honestly I can't really muster any excitement for this game. It looks like an unispired Korean PC game from 1998 with low budget SNES animation. :/

Oh and Home Land is ChunSoft's new GC RPG... though I'm not sure if NIS America is even a GC licensed publisher? Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them branch out into GBA... there's tons of good stuff there that'd be right up their alley (Riveria, Summon Knight Craft Story 1-2, Monster Summoner, etc).

"It looks like an unispired Korean PC game from 1998 with low budget SNES animation."

It still seems like a good game. I don't know how you can put down how it looks and then go and ask them to bring over something that looks like those Y's games or the Tengai games, neither of which look nearly as good as this game does.

shoplifter

ferricide said:
i personally couldn't care less about the tengai makyou 2 remake.

ferricide said:
i personally couldn't care less

ferricide said:
couldn't care less

THANK YOU.

I'm totally psyched for Ys, and quite happy that some of the more obscure titles are finally going to start getting published here, thanks in no small part to Disgaea's success.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"It looks like an unispired Korean PC game from 1998 with low budget SNES animation."

It still seems like a good game. I don't know how you can put down how it looks and then go and ask them to bring over something that looks like those Y's games or the Tengai games, neither of which look nearly as good as this game does.
I'd say Tengai 2 looks better actually, even with it's N64-ish overworld map and backgrounds. The in game battles look excellent with extremely fluid animation and great character designs. And the Ys III remake looks really great too while Tengai 3 is in another league all together. Atelier Iris is just cookie cutter JRPG stuff in comparsion to any of those, only more last generation. :/

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
shoplifter said:
THANK YOU.

I'm totally psyched for Ys, and quite happy that some of the more obscure titles are finally going to start getting published here, thanks in no small part to Disgaea's success.

IAWTP, the same people who are the first to complain about a lack of fresh games are also the first to complain when something that IS new is announced. I've never had any experience with the Atelier series, and the great artwork and classic-looking gameplay sit really well with me. I mean, believe me, I'm probably a bigger fan of innovative RPG battles - Tales, SO, Grandia, than any of you... but some times I want a nice basic turn-based system. And those types of games still do have a large market (though you'll always find the jaded people on here complaining and bragging about how cool they are because they stopped playing RPGs back in 1998)

I don't think I've ever heard ferricide say one positive thing about an RPG since I started posting here.

djtiesto

jarrod said:
I'd say Tengai 2 looks better actually, even with it's N64-ish overworld map and backgrounds. The in game battles look excellent with extremely fluid animation and great character designs. And the Ys III remake looks really great too while Tengai 3 is in another league all together. Atelier Iris is just cookie cutter JRPG stuff in comparsion to any of those, only more last generation. :/

Let's get the Ys 1-2 remakes before Ys 3... that was definitely one of the worse games in that series. I'd rather see Tengai 3 than Tengai 2, since I own the original Tengai 2. Still have no idea how the hell a game so steeped in Japanese history and culture will sell in flag-trolling big guns and cowboy boots Middle America.

belgurdo

Banned
djtiesto said:
I don't think I've ever heard ferricide say one positive thing about an RPG since I started posting here.

Should he?

And I wouldn't call the Atelier series "fresh," considering they're just your typical JRPG with an item creation system attached to it. It's not doing anything new

djtiesto

belgurdo said:
Should he?

And I wouldn't call the Atelier series "fresh," considering they're just your typical JRPG with an item creation system attached to it. It's not doing anything new

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all... hence, why I've stayed out of the 10 page threads about ESPN NFL or Madden...

Halo 2 is your typical shooter with a dual weapon wielding system attached to it, but peopbbble are still going on and on about how fresh it is. Point is, it's fresh here in the States, where we never have gotten an Atelier game, or a game with an overly crisp hand-drawn style.

belgurdo

Banned
djtiesto said:
or a game with an overly crisp hand-drawn style.

saga_image_4.jpg

ss_sagafrontier23.jpg

Shouta

The game doesn't really play that well and it doesn't move that well either in motion. If there was anything that I wanted to come over now, it'd be the Generation of Chaos Next games or the Super Robot Wars games. Hell, I'd take Summon Night over Atelier.

ferricide

djtiesto said:
funny. they're my favorite genre. been staying out of the tales of symphonia and SMT: nocturne and digital devil saga threads, have we? i also had pleasant words for shadow hearts II recently. this is all stuff from the last week or two. =P

...and i just said i wanted to play atelier iris IN THIS VERY THREAD. contrary to popular opinion. apparently.

jarrod said:

You really think this game looks as good as Atelier?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game060603f.htm

That just looks bad, from an art standpoint and a technical standpoint.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You really think this game looks as good as Atelier?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game060603f.htm

That just looks bad, from an art standpoint and a technical standpoint.
Yep. Animation and character designs are lightyears ahead of Atelier Iris, even with the N64-ish 3D backgrounds (as I said earlier). Then again Manjimaru is intended to look simple, it's a 16bit update targeted at the nostalgia crowd... Namida is the true next gen installment that should wow us. :)

Being honest here, I'd say the Saturn Tengai Makyou is better looking even. :p

Shouta

Tengai 2 actually does look better in motion imo. Very solid stuff despite the slightly archaic graphics.

djtiesto

jarrod said:
Yep. Animation and character designs are lightyears ahead of Atelier Iris, even with the N64-ish 3D backgrounds (as I said earlier). Then again Manjimaru is intended to look simple, it's a 16bit update targeted at the nostalgia crowd... Namida is the true next gen installment that should wow us. :)

Being honest here, I'd say the Saturn Tengai Makyou is better looking even. :p

The Saturn TM is pretty nice looking... I don't like how the sprites look, but the monsters being giant anime-style portraits looked very cool. The TM2 remake is a bit ugly, it looks like it has a real distorted perspective, I think I prefer the Duo graphics (not to mention, the game was much more amazing looking for the time on the Duo). Those screens of Namida look pretty cool... I loved Apocalypse's setting - the $#&# up America, so I hope they make another Tengai with that setting.

Tsubaki

It's kinda disappointing to see the thread have so many posts of strong opinions either for or against Atelier Iris, yet outside of 1 or 2 people, no one has played an entry of the series, much less Iris.

belgurdo said:

I'm not sure why you say that... certainly the Atelier series is not groundbreaking, but I don't really see how the series as a whole is like a typical jRPG. The item creation system is what the game revolves around, not the exploration, not the battles, not the story. I don't know. I see it as far more of a "item creation game with RPG elements tacked on" rather than the reverse.

Shouta

yet outside of 1 or 2 people, no one has played an entry of the series, much less Iris.

Actually, I think like 4 people in this thread have played at least one of the entries in the series.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
No clue what this series/game is about but it sure caused a bunch of people to get their panties in a bunch about it. I'm interested, I'd like it if they brought this one over even if it is just to satisfy a small niche.

Top Bottom