• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon a Time in the West! Appreciate, bitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Time to appreciate the best non-Clint Eastwood western ever made by Sergio Leone! And who knew Henry Fonda could be such a cruel bastard? And Harmonica has probably the best revenge backstory of the genre too...

B0000AUHPG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Something that surprised me while I was watching the DVD last night, which has an amazing transfer, is how wide everything is. Leone soaks up the entire background with each shot.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
Is that the one with Charles Bronson? I haven't seen it in years.

Yeah, Charles Bronson plays the mysterious stranger out for revenge only known as HARMONICA for the harmonica around his neck that he plays from time to time.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Absolutely amazing movie. Cowritten by Sergio Leone and Dario Argento of Italian horror fame.

<3 <3

Willco

Hollywood Square
sefskillz said:
Absolutely amazing movie. Cowritten by Sergio Leone and Dario Argento of Italian horror fame.

<3 <3

Yeah, it is pretty awesome. A lot of people think The Bride has a great origin story for revenge, but - sorry, bitches! - that goes to Harmonica. Frank is a cruel bastard.

karasu

Though I consider myself to be one hell of a cinephile, I have never seen this. I'm gonna make an extra effort to now though.

MASB

One of my favorite movies ever gets the Bruce Campbell seal of approval? Yes!! ;) Once Upon A Time In The West really is one of the best movies ever. Charles Bronson is great in it. It's too bad he didn't act in or wasn't offered more roles of this caliber, because his acting is top notch in this movie. His looks say more than words, which is good since he doesn't have a ton of lines in the movie. :p

When I saw the DVD was out in November, I got it immediately, I was so excited it finally had a DVD version.

I also have to appreciate Jason Robard's performance as Cheyenne. Comedy and drama all in one character! "Do you only know how to play or can you shoot too."

HAOHMARU

Sergeo Leone is one of my favorite writers/directors.

Once Upon in the Time in the West is one of the best western movies ever made. Henry Fonda plays such a badass in that movie, and Bronson was perfect for that role.

My favorite part is the
opening scene with the 3 thugs at the train station. The waiting...the suspense. Then Bronson's character gets off the train and says something about how they brought 2 horses too many...then BAM BAM BAM. All dead :)

And the Ennio Morricone soundtrack has to be one of his best. A lot more orchestrated than most of his other stuff. An excellent movie all the way around, one of my favorite, if not the favorite Leone film.

Willco

Hollywood Square
MASB said:
I also have to appreciate Jason Robard's performance as Cheyenne. Comedy and drama all in one character! "Do you only know how to play or can you shoot too."

Yeah, Robards is great. I love the part where...

Harmonica "betrays" Cheyenne for $5,000 and he goes, "Y'know, Judas was content with four thousand, nine hundred and seventy dollars less."

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this movie is 15 bucks or less at most retail stores, every western fan should buy it.

Willco,

The revenge angle is good, especially the falshback scene, but I prefer how the revenge played out in High Plains Drifter even more so. Of course the story in that movie was more focused on that one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom