• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Live Action: Season 2 casting reveal

Here are the official casting announcements from their social media account:

GRFBOTNXAAEy2fb

GQ_7ea7XsAAUQ7d

GQ6yCgKWEAA1tQJ

GVgR13yWwAAyn-6

GVgR1oiXIAAo6av

GVlfL4zbwAA64VQ

Last edited:
I can't imagine myself ever watching this but I'm curious if/how they'll cast Miss Monday.
They actually do a good job of capturing the seriousness and wackiness of One Piece. Most of the performances fully commit to their characters and what they set out to do, which I feel is one of the biggest keys to success for a show like this.

It's worth checking out as an alternate retelling of events, sort of like an OVA or like FMA/FMA: Brotherhood.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
RobColletti just needs to be as punchable as possible, I wonder if they will give him a tin jaw prosthetic or just have him constantly chewing his scenes. :)
I think the MR 3 casting is perfect.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why's that?
Mostly because i can't stand this actor and i love n3 so i wanted an actor that i could at least like a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Also, i know n3 start as a villain but i ultimately see him as an ally (i guess you can tell why) and i only saw this actor doing evil roles.

Last edited:

Kar

Reportedly somewhere between 15 and 18 million per episode. Each season clocks over 100M.
You're joking right? The first season had some heart but everything looked so low budget.. what on earth ?!
Game of Thrones had less budget than that, where the fuck did the money go?

Also, i know n3 start as a villain but i ultimately see him as an ally (i guess you can tell why) and i only saw this actor doing evil roles.
In that case maybe this will be a good exercise for him to do something outside of his typecasting.

If it were up to me I'd also have them cast Gincarlo Esposito in a future season just to see him act vastly different than just another variation of Gus.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
In that case maybe this will be a good exercise for him to do something outside of his typecasting.

If it were up to me I'd also have them cast Gincarlo Esposito in a future season just to see him act vastly different than just another variation of Gus.
He probably already did some positive role, i haven't watched many things with the dude in it.

He probably already did some positive role, i haven't watched many things with the dude in it.
I've seen him in a lot, including being a villain character in the CW Flash show. This was one of his more well known positive roles:

Based on his past works I believe that he has the range for something like One Piece.

Minsc

Gold Member
The best live action tv series adaption of all time, can't wait. Looks good, but missing the one character everyone is waiting to see - I suppose they'll be CG or puppet though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've seen him in a lot, including being a villain character in the CW Flash show. This was one of his more well known positive roles:

Based on his past works I believe that he has the range for something like One Piece.

I remember him from the belko experiment where he was an absolute cunt :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
The best live action tv series adaption of all time, can't wait. Looks good, but missing the one character everyone is waiting to see - I suppose they'll be CG or puppet though.
I have a feeling that Karoo the duck will just be left out like Johnny and Yosaku.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think they’re going to save this character and Ace for season 3. Seeing Dalton on this list, I think it’s clear where last third of season 2 will take place.
One main antagonist per season, I get that. Only problem is that actors will be in their 60’s or older before we get to the current point in the current story arc in the anime let alone the manga 😂.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I think they’re going to save this character and Ace for season 3. Seeing Dalton on this list, I think it’s clear where last third of season 2 will take place.
It will be the whole Alabasta saga

Anything less would be slowing down the pacing they had in season one by a lot

Only up to end of Drum Island would be 54 chapters or roughly 7 chapters per episode. In season one they were doing about 12 chapters per episode

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It will be the whole Alabasta saga

Anything less would be slowing down the pacing they had in season one by a lot

Only up to end of Drum Island would be 54 chapters or roughly 7 chapters per episode. In season one they were doing about 12 chapters per episode
Shouldn’t they unveil Nico Robin and Crocodile’s characters then? What about Vivi?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I'm not a fan of the show or manga (it is a manga, right?), but that looks like some mostly spot-on casting.

I wish all shows that were adaptations cast this accurately. I'm tired of looking forward to some adaptation of a book or comic I love and then seeing them cast actors that are wildly, absurdly not like the characters from the source.

I'm not a fan of the show or manga (it is a manga, right?), but that looks like some mostly spot-on casting.

I wish all shows that were adaptations cast this accurately. I'm tired of looking forward to some adaptation of a book or comic I love and then seeing them cast actors that are wildly, absurdly not like the characters from the source.
Casting can be a fun game of 'how will this person play this character' but at the end of the day for me it all comes down to writing.

A classic example are Fox's X-men live action movies, which arguably had some of the best casting picks of any pop culture series out there. Over and over and over again, they managed to take such a star studded cast and screw things up consistently.

A person can outperform a bad casting, but perfect casting can't win against bad writing.

Hugare

Mr. 3 casting is so on point

I'm pleased with pretty much everyone, but not with Brogy and Dorry actors

They look to slim

Top Bottom