• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Finished the backstory at the end of Marineford. Garp was a giant asshole to Ace and Luffy but his struggle during Marineford was my favorite part of the arc so I'm not sure how to feel. Wish they gave a better explanation on how Sabo survived besides Dragon saved him but meh. Also don't get why he waited so long to show Luffy that he's still alive.

With Dressrosa getting near the end, I started to think about it. Would the Celestial Dragon's actually be upset if Luffy took out Doflamingo? Doffy told Law that he knows something about them that he uses against them as blackmail to get what he wants but I don't think he's actually told anyone what that secret is. If Doflamingo is silenced for good I wonder if they'd forgive him for what he did at Saobody.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Finished the backstory at the end of Marineford. Garp was a giant asshole to Ace and Luffy but his struggle during Marineford was my favorite part of the arc so I'm not sure how to feel. Wish they gave a better explanation on how Sabo survived besides Dragon saved him but meh. Also don't get why he waited so long to show Luffy that he's still alive.

With Dressrosa getting near the end, I started to think about it. Would the Celestial Dragon's actually be upset if Luffy took out Doflamingo? Doffy told Law that he knows something about them that he uses against them as blackmail to get what he wants but I don't think he's actually told anyone what that secret is. If Doflamingo is silenced for good I wonder if they'd forgive him for what he did at Saobody.

Amnesia __________________________

mrmickfran

On the English side of things:

91fyXpLzK5L._SL1500_.jpg

We in there!!! :D

BHK3

Banned
Hope it at least stays consistent, Shiki went from throwing islands to throwing rocks at a El Thor Luffy and Z's dynastones went from island nukes to grenades by the end of the movie.

GaimeGuy

Okay, which dumbass at Toei decided to have a bunch of cuts to other characters during the King Kong Gun punch?

Ug took some liberties with this episode. I understand I really do why they do it, but I hate how they dragged that punch out. Plus saying Luffy 20+ times. Still, I couldn't help myself but grin when Mingo got absolutely rekted.

ffdgh

Finally it's over...Dragged a bit with the extra added tension but it was worth it to see luffy finally wipe that smile off doflamingo's face.

smurfx

get some go again
pretty weak effort. doesn't seem like they poured any extra money into the animation either. one of the weakest endings to a major fight so far. i also didn't like how luffy struggled getting through doflamingo's final attack with the king kong gun. in the manga it seemed like luffy went through it pretty easily since it was luffy's new finisher.

Man what happened to the animation budget for this episode? So many barely animated scenes and they reused the fourth gear transformation animation from episode 726. Liked the shot of Doflamingo's glasses shattering but this episode felt really disappointing for what actually happened.

GaimeGuy

There were like 2 or 3 10-15 second panning still frames of doflamingo's flap/kill thread attacks. And the angles were constantly changing throughout the episode to hide the budget animation. And, of course, the aforementioned cuts made during the King Kong Gun punch itself.

Imagine if, during the Jet Gatling attack on Lucci, the show cut to Usopp yelling "GO!!", and then cut back to the second half of the attack, when Lucci was knocked through the tower.

That's what they did here. Except they did it with every crewmember (including the "temporary" ones like the samurai and law).

They also pretty much copied the audio mixing from the Lucci fight. Same track, same timing, and everything.

It came off as terrible, and the shattering of the ground came off as far less impactful because it wasn't fully animated.

The original Kong Gun actually came off as more impactful in the show than King Kong Gun did..

Also, they reused the entire G4 transformation sequence, I think.

Toei should be ashamed of how they are treating the most popular manga of all time.

Even with the same staff as 726, this episode was noticeably weaker and more rushed.
If it wasn't for Tomita animating the King Kong Gun, I would have been severely disappointed.

Don't know who thought it was a good idea to reuse Shida's cut, especially when the transition to and from the scene was sloppy. This isn't Sailor Moon.

That episode made me want to vomit.

Watching the Crocodile finish, Golden Rifle, and Jet Gatling Gun right now to get that filth out of my mouth.

Love the voices and music but I can't put up with this horseshit anymore. Going manga from now on, and I goddamn hate reading manga.

Watching the Crocodile finish, Golden Rifle, and Jet Gatling Gun right now to get that filth out of my mouth.

Love the voices and music but I can't put up with this horseshit anymore. Going manga from now on, and I goddamn hate reading manga.
Welcome!! We'll take u in the manga thread. Next arc will blow ur mind join us

You won't be disappointed trust me.

GaimeGuy

You should read from the beginning for superior pacing and awesomeness

Welcome!! We'll take u in the manga thread. Next arc will blow ur mind join us

You won't be disappointed trust me.

You should read from the beginning for superior pacing and awesomeness

sad-puppy-puppies-16144434-320-240.jpg

I did actually read the chapters up to 790 before since I was sick of the slow pace of the episodes back during Zoro's "fight" with Pica and it didn't do anything for me either. Same thing with the Ippo manga.

It's just when I read manga I feel like I'm reading a Wikipedia summary or I'm having a little kid tell me what happened. Since manga is a series of stills they can't really show the in-between so it's typically a still of the start of an action followed by a still showing the end of that action. Unfortunately I often have trouble telling what happened in between those stills so it kills the impact and momentum while I try to figure it out. Add to that me rummaging through my OST files trying to find a track I think fits the mood.

Is the next arc finished in the manga? And what's the better source or group of translated chapters? I'd actually prefer raws since in my experience scanlations are home to some of the shoddiest fan translation work around with their broken and emotionless sentences, but raws are obnoxious to find unless you get them right after they're published.

Cwarrior

I was expecting crap from the reaction but I have to say I like the king kong gun hell of a lot more then the way it come off in the manga by a large margin, they actually made it epic clash.

Yoshizkua tomita cut at the end was explosion of beautiful artsy colours.
-kazuya hisda cut was also cool of luffy getting impiled

They also brought over some guy called Higashide Futoshi from world trigger side (looks like world trigger is really ending).

The fact we can't get this regularly is absurd its freaking one piece

Yoshikazu Tomita has been around since Thriller bark, if we had this regulary the man would be long dead.

They also pretty much copied the audio mixing from the Lucci fight. Same track, same timing, and everything.

Just let know it's not the same sound track, this one wasn't even around back then it's from Strong world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwO4xkxGNo

That was probably the worst of the finisher scenes for the main villains TBH
Maybe it's also because this arc took so long to get to this point.

The way Gear 4th was presented I don't understand why he would even need a stronger punch against Doffy, he steamrolled Doffy in that form. I guess he needed something to get rid of all the strings.

Also, stop calling him Lucy.

GaimeGuy

That was probably the worst of the finisher scenes for the main villains TBH
Maybe it's also because this arc took so long to get to this point.

The way Gear 4th was presented I don't understand why he would even need a stronger punch against Doffy, he steamrolled Doffy in that form. I guess he needed something to get rid of all the strings.

Also, stop calling him Lucy.

No, the problem is they drew the scene out with luffy yelling and cuts to the other characters during the actual punch.

You know how Usopp motivated luffy to get off his ass against Lucci, right? Well, imagine if Luffy started his Jet Gatling attack, then the anime panned to Usopp cheering, then panned to the other straw hats shouting luffy's name, then panned back to the Jet Gattling attack.

You RUIN a final attack scene like that if you add padding to the actual point of impact.

Kong Gun was more hype because there were no interuptions or cuts to other scenes.

No, the problem is they drew the scene out with luffy yelling and cuts to the other characters during the actual punch.

You know how Usopp motivated luffy to get off his ass against Lucci, right? Well, imagine if Luffy started his Jet Gatling attack, then the anime panned to Usopp cheering, then panned to the other straw hats shouting luffy's name, then panned back to the Jet Gattling attack.

You RUIN a final attack scene like that if you add padding to the actual point of impact.

Kong Gun was more hype because there were no interuptions or cuts to other scenes.
Should've been like this.

Cwarrior

Even with the extra week this episode displays the effects of film gold already.

it's rare to see kazya hisad animated so much in one episode himself and tomita doing the finaly clash was odd was sure it was going to be takeshi nashino since he was in pretty much every other dressrosa episode but went missing a few episodes back, am sure the man got pulled to work on One piece Film gold same way he got pulled to work on the dragon ball z freiza film a while back.

Looks like the great One piece film gold talent drain begins, it's going to suck dry talent from one piece, dragon ball super, precure and thank god world trigger picked a great time to end.

king kong gun now with almost none of the great animation.

It's typical for manga purest to be outrage whenever toei go the extra mile with animation (reminds me if the time people being outrage at the lovely luffy vs smoker animation cause it wasn't identical to the anime and the same with luffy culvring to flamingo in 726 he stretched over 40 gomu gomu's omg).

I like the epic clash a lot better the extra scene with flashy god threads piercing luffy skin(should of been in the manga imo) and luffy flight like a jet was cool.

Now the part that sucked was the bit they reused some shida cut for the transformation with different background, this is not a robot or magical school girl anime toei,this doesn't fly in a shounen.

GaimeGuy

Rare footage of members of Toei's board of directors

HJd1x8R.jpg

Edit: And Cwarrior, it's not purist outrage. Doflamingo does NOT push back King Kong Gun with his strings. It's a fast, overwhelming, one hit KO punch that splits the island clean in two. Turning the sequence into a power struggle and spending the most animating the power struggle itself rather than the approach and impact of the attack, is bastardizing the property.

Rare footage of members of Toei's board of directors

HJd1x8R.jpg

Edit: And Cwarrior, it's not purist outrage. Doflamingo does NOT push back King Kong Gun with his strings. It's a fast, overwhelming, one hit KO punch that splits the island clean in two. Turning the sequence into a power struggle and spending the most animating the power struggle itself rather than the approach and impact of the attack, is bastardizing the property.
They pulled that crap with ceasear, it makes luffy look weaker than what he his. Luffy wrecked doffy in gear 4th there was np struggle no hits in nothing, it was a straight smackdown

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They pulled that crap with ceasear, it makes luffy look weaker than what he his. Luffy wrecked doffy in gear 4th there was np struggle no hits in nothing, it was a straight smackdown

They also did it with Hody.
After the Red Hawk, Hody tried to take more steroids but he got wrecked by Luffy. Toei added a scene where Hody actually got a couple more hits in. It made no sense.

Why is Toei making Luffy look weaker than he really is?

After the Red Hawk, Hody tried to take more steroids but he got wrecked by Luffy. Toei added a scene where Hody actually got a couple more hits in. It made no sense.

I really dont get it theres other ways to pad put an episode(as thet obviously are good at) leave the fights alone. Imagine if they would have had lucci going blow for blow against jet gattling...*burf disgusting.

The only filler I can see happening is a movie gold 2 parter. But really, it's pretty much impossible to inject a filler arc into the story as it plays out unless you go the route of completely ignoring what's currently going on in canon
Took them a week if I remember right to find Zou. Plenty of time to add something in there.

The only filler I can see happening is a movie gold 2 parter. But really, it's pretty much impossible to inject a filler arc into the story as it plays out unless you go the route of completely ignoring what's currently going on in canon
It took a week for luffy and co to reach zou they can actually create a good amount of filler between now and then.

Cwarrior

I had they done it excatly like the manga making one big clean hit then it would of been one urrpt anticlamtic ending i would been left staring at the screen think that it...

I like the emphasis on doffy god thread attack making more formidable and the clash more interesting to watch.

was it different then the manga? yes ,so are a lot best momments in the anime but the change made for a better tv viewing experience.

Toei have fucked up in the past *cough* whitebeard vs blackbeard*cough* this one isn't one of them.

The part I felt could of been imporved was the cut the straw hats they should kept it consistent by having tomita animate those scenes aswell instead of some else different entirely.

Works both ways they've been making luffy stronger then he is for years, luffy came of a lot more competent against magellen then he did the manga and in marine ford.

Top Bottom