• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SolidusDave said:
Though I don't like how it's e.g. just called Post-War arc, as it also contains the Sabo stuff and some more Strawhats stories.
I don't either. As far as I'm concerned, there's the Sabo Arc, THEN the Post-War Arc (or whatever you'd like to call it). Before the Sabo Arc there's, what, one episode between the end of the war and the start of Luffy's backstory? Yeah, it's all "post-war," but the flashback stuff is all a very clearly defined arc unto itself.

Maron

Anth0ny said:
Well yeah that's what's bullshit. Instead of a 1 min 30 sec OP and 1 min 30 sec ED, we get a 2 min 30 sec OP and fucking 50 minutes of Gold Roger monologue and last episode recap.

Actually the EDs are always more like 1 min and 11 seconds. I'm pretty sure no time is really lost with the longer openings. And I remember some OPs, like We Are and maybe Kokoro no Chize, being closer to 2 minutes than 1:30. Maybe more like 1:45?

BatDan said:
Don't forget that Strong World is canon, it takes place before Sabaody. Though the Little East Blue arc is filler, it has no impact on Strong World at all.

Even if you place SW before Sabaody it doesn't fit.

-Brook stated his fight with the Flying Fish Riders was his first fight in the crew.
-Zoro's injuries from Kuma are never mentioned
-Sengoku doesn't even mention how Luffy's only the second pirate to break out of ID. I mean, I know he doesn't have to, but it's a bit odd.

There's probably some other stuff too, but I haven't seen the movie in a long time so I wouldn't remember.

Oda may have written the plot, but that doesn't mean it automatically ties in with the manga. It should be viewed the same way as the other films: standalone adventures featuring the Straw Hats.

Steroyd

Maron said:
-Sengoku doesn't even mention how Luffy's only the second pirate to break out of ID. I mean, I know he doesn't have to, but it's a bit odd.

Sengoku may not have mentioned it, but I'm sure it was mentioned in the anime/manga that only one person had ever broken out prior to Luffy's breakout

Wiseblade said:
1zm1lqf.jpg

Brook hate is unnaceptable!

I have to watch this episode again, while most love War arc Luffy punching that asshole was one of those sogood.gif moments in the series....

Wiseblade

Steroyd said:
Sengoku may not have mentioned it, but I'm sure it was mentioned in the anime/manga that only one person had ever broken out prior to Luffy's breakout
The anime added a scene where Sengoku mentions that Shiki escaped Impel Down before.

survivor said:
With these kind of posts it would really help your case if you actually post comparison pictures so we can know what exactly you mean.

But I really dunno what you mean by less unique characters. What was unique before that isn't now? Or more precisely what's your cutoff chapter? I found most of the characters at Impel Down to be pretty unique. Even the ones in the current arc in the manga seem pretty alright.

Is it allowed to post scans? I dont think it is but I'd like to prove my theory.

Anywho, Ive been catching up on what I havent seen... Ive been thinking this series warrants a grand JRPG covering the whole story.

The lore, universe and characters are pretty much begging for a FF-JRPG-esque game. If done right people it could be really quite amazing!

One day when Oda wraps up the story I really hope it happens.

BobLoblaw said:
*Spoiler*

For those that haven't seen it yet, here are the Supernovas post time skip. And yes, this is official.

They don't really look much different.
btw I'm kinda annoyed that all of the Supernovas were already in the New World before the timeskip. It seemed that most of them were not stronger than Luffy and some were even one-shot by some Kuma-clone. Yet the Strawheads needed the extra training...
Would be nice if a few got killed in the new word or fled in fear with crushed dreams (like many crews before). (I don't know the manga, no spoiler hints necessary)

There's this pic that's been floating around for awhile now. The only thing I think got worse is the anime. The art in that changed around Amazon Lily. It got... "flatter" in it's coloring. Made it look kind of weird in my opinion.

wirl2e.jpg

SolidusDave said:
btw I'm kinda annoyed that all of the Supernovas were already in the New World before the timeskip. It seemed that most of them were not stronger than Luffy and some were even one-shot by some Kuma-clone. Yet the Strawheads needed the extra training...
Would be nice if a few got killed in the new word or fled in fear with crushed dreams (like many crews before). (I don't know the manga, no spoiler hints necessary)

Well, if the Strawhats weren't decimated and sent around the world they would have gone to the new world soon as well. It's been awhile since I've read or watched that pre-seperation era but they all seemed pretty excited to move on to the New World.

It kinda bothers me how much Eustas Kid's devil fruit reminds me of Tetsou from Akira.... just in magnet form instead of a huge mutated arm.

Steroyd

SolidusDave said:

Disclaimer - There's no manga spoiler hints to be had, the manga hasn't covered what happened to the supernovas post timeskip either.

They weren't exactly charging through the New world with ease when we saw them pre-time skip, all of them were struggling, Law sat back and waited, Kidd was the only one out of them all that looked like he was relishing the New World and looking at the post time skipped supernova pic
Kidd had his left arm ripped off at some stage.

2th said:
this is rather disappointing. Basil Hawkins ended up fighting Kizaru and should have been arrested and/or killed. And Bonny was captured by Blackbeard and handed over to Akainu...

Basil Hawkins went to fight/meet one of the four emperors (Kaido?), not an admiral.

And given the dialogue between Bonney and Akainu when she was captured, would make me assume it's not the first time she got caught or escaped.

Well they included my favorite Zoro moment of this mini arc, so epic. However my hopes that they would condense this arc as much as possible are being crushed steadily. Luffy's part was so cool.

SykoTech

Been going through the entire anime of this show for the past 3 months or so after hearing all of the good word of mouth. And it was definitely accurate. So many great things about the show. The action, sad moments, and especially the humor. Can't remember the last time an anime made me laugh out loud so many times (Sanji's poster! Lol!). And I character love all of the characters. Again, I can't recall any other anime show where there wasn't one or 2 characters that annoyed me to no end. Don't even get me started with Naruto and Bleach.

But the main reason I'm actually posting is because I just finished watching Episode 377. The one where
Zoro takes in all of Luffy's pain
. Just...wow. So badass. What a memorable series. I'm ashamed to have not gotten into it sooner. Though I guess you can blame 4Kids.

Welp, back to the show!

Wiseblade

SykoTech said:
Been going through the entire anime of this show for the past 3 months or so after hearing all of the good word of mouth. And it was definitely accurate. So many great things about the show. The action, sad moments, and especially the humor. Can't remember the last time an anime made me laugh out loud so many times (Sanji's poster! Lol!). And I character love all of the characters. Again, I can't recall any other anime show where there wasn't one or 2 characters that annoyed me to no end. Don't even get me started with Naruto and Bleach.

But the main reason I'm actually posting is because I just finished watching Episode 377. The one where
. Just...wow. So badass. What a memorable series. I'm ashamed to have not gotten into it sooner. Though I guess you can blame 4Kids.

Welp, back to the show!

One of us...
One of us...
One of us...

Thriller BArc's terrible pacing is what forced me to switch over to the manga, and I'm so glad I did. OP post Enies Lobby is chock full of sleazy budget saving reaction shots and extended flashbacks to things that happened in the previous episode.

Wiseblade said:
One of us...
One of us...
One of us...

Thriller BArc's terrible pacing is what forced me to switch over to the manga, and I'm so glad I did. OP post Enies Lobby is chock full of sleazy budget saving reaction shots and extended flashbacks to things that happened in the previous episode.

/high five

I'm exactly the same, so glad I made the switch.

SykoTech

Wiseblade said:
One of us...
One of us...
One of us...

Yeah...I've kinda noticed that too. Even though I went through this entire arc in like 3 days (whoo boy am I addicted to it right now) it moved a lot slower than previous arcs. Hell, one entire episode was just a flashback to when they first met Laboon. That was just unnecessary.

Still, I think I'll stick with the anime for now. I love the soundtrack and everything, and I'm skipping filler anyway. I'll switch over to the manga once I've caught up with all the episodes.

So is it me or they use the real crew voices for the fake crew? They basically just switched it around.

Fake Luffy has Sanji's voice
Fake Nami is Chopper etc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Stealth Editor said:
So is it me or they use the real crew voices for the fake crew? They basically just switched it around.

Yes.

Piecake

SykoTech said:

Welp, back to the show!

Watch Hunter X Hunter (the original). You'll love it

Anth0ny

SykoTech said:
Yeah...I've kinda noticed that too. Even though I went through this entire arc in like 3 days (whoo boy am I addicted to it right now) it moved a lot slower than previous arcs. Hell, one entire episode was just a flashback to when they first met Laboon. That was just unnecessary.

Still, I think I'll stick with the anime for now. I love the soundtrack and everything, and I'm skipping filler anyway. I'll switch over to the manga once I've caught up with all the episodes.

Haha, I remember those days back in 2006. Fucking blew through the entire series in, like, 2 weeks. Watched 14 episodes a day or some shit. One Piece is way too addictive.

Firestorm

SykoTech said:

Definitely recommended you do that. The pace isn't too bad if you're marathoning the show. It's when you have to wait weekly that it can get annoying.

jercruz

how come the conqueror haki's effect in the anime has been edited out? i'm talking about the bubbling of the mouth when the target faints.

Wiseblade

Stealth Editor said:

Fake Usopp has Franky's voice
Fake Franky has Brook's voice.

Cwarrior

Wiseblade said:
One of us...
One of us...
One of us...

Reaction shots are even in the manga so it stays ture to the source material plus they add to the badassery (example some big shot shows up everyones shits themselfs).

I don't think there saving anything since reaction shot only last for a second and if they really wanted to save money stock animation would be a far more effective, sleazy and annoying(rage inducing)

Im sorry but the episode just wasnt that good. Chopper has a cool design and all but the cluelessness was becoming of annoying levels. I would have liked for Sentomaru and those Pacifistas to have at least made it on the field and such.

Best moment was that Zoro and Sanji stuff, cracked me up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
New animation in the OP. Sweet. Nice to know that that random "Luffy running with old shots of Straw Hats in the background" segment was just a placeholder.

Dedication Through Light said:
Im sorry but the episode just wasnt that good. Chopper has a cool design and all but the cluelessness was becoming of annoying levels. I would have liked for Sentomaru and those Pacifistas to have at least made it on the field and such.

Best moment was that Zoro and Sanji stuff, cracked me up.

同感です :/

Oh man, the anime is soooo close to the manga now. A lot of these current chapters could easily have three chapters per episode if we weren't so close.

Wiseblade said:

Yep. That's what I did. Well, I started reading the manga in '02 but I was still watching the anime regularly. During Thriller Bark I had to actually stop watching for awhile so I could get through the story in a reasonable chunk of time in one go.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
VGChampion said:
Oh man, the anime is soooo close to the manga now. A lot of these current chapters could easily have three chapters per episode if we weren't so close.
So close? The anime is a full year behind the manga and has been for a long time. This is the third anime episode of this arc. The third manga chapter of this arc came out on October 6, 2010.

Also, this episode was pretty packed full. The recap was like 30 seconds or less on this one and there was very little in the usual stalling department. The chapters in this arc (and the previous one) were really content dense and even, at times, lacking in detail and transitional scenes/information, making them somewhat helter skelter in their storytelling.

The anime has been really helpful in smoothing things out in this arc so far.

Maron

MetatronM said:
So close? The anime is a full year behind the manga and has been for a long time.

I think he means close in that the anime's about to jump into an arc that still hasn't concluded in the manga.

And if the episode titles are any indication, we have some really slow episodes to look forward to.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Maron said:
I think he means close in that the anime's about to jump into an arc that still hasn't concluded in the manga.

And if the episode titles are any indication, we have some really slow episodes to look forward to.
The episode titles show this arc continuing at a one episode = one chapter pace, the way it's been going (though really the anime has been remixing things a ton in this arc so far, rather than just adapting it straight in its original manga order).

This arc was 6 chapters long in the manga. The coming episode titles show it being 6 episodes long in the anime.

Maron said:

Yeah. And it just means we're sticking with one chapter per episode. I'm not worried about them catching up, I'm just sad because it means we're staying this way and it will be slow at times. People seem to forget that the show wasn't always this slow and the anime could gain ground on the manga. At this rate we'll stay in this pattern until the end. But I'm thinking we may get some filler at the end of the next arc to maybe let the manga gain some ground and the anime can pick up pace.

SykoTech

Alright, caught up with all the episodes. I feel as if I overdosed on it, but it was totally worth it. This show is just too good.

Man, that Marineford arc. Luffy's face when...just....damn. (Major Marineford spoilers of course).
Water 7/Enies Lobby is probably still my favorite arc(s), but that one came really close.

And they're just now doing a timeskip after 500+ episodes? It's like this show will last forever, which is perfectly fine with me.

Also, I'm still addicted to this intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1D0pu0Q2I
And this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zseC1y53rtI

Welp, time to pick up the manga.

SykoTech said:
Alright, caught up with all the episodes. I feel as if I overdosed on it, but it was totally worth it. This show is just too good.

Man, that Marineford arc. Luffy's face when...just....damn. (Major Marineford spoilers of course).
Water 7/Enies Lobby is probably still my favorite arc(s), but that one came really close.

And they're just now doing a timeskip after 500+ episodes? It's like this show will last forever, which is perfectly fine with me.

Also, I'm still addicted to this intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1D0pu0Q2I
And this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zseC1y53rtI

Welp, time to pick up the manga.
aah this reminds me so much of my adventure through this series a few years back :D

An unfortunate side effect of this though is i am completely unable to watch this series in less that at least 40eps batch now though.

Top Bottom