• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only a couple of decades late to the party: the Alien movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
alien 3 is flawed in terms of story, but imo the visual style is stunning - the muted colours suit the series perfectly. the opening credit sequence is probably my favourite from any film i've seen.

jjasper

Ok quick question. I have always wondering when does Ridley (spoiler just incase)
get the egg put in her
is it the scene in Aliens or while she is sleeping in between 2 & 3?

jjasper said:
Ok quick question. I have always wondering when does Ridley (spoiler just incase)
get the egg put in her
is it the scene in Aliens or while she is sleeping in between 2 & 3?

Ridley is impregnated during the opening credits of Alien 3. We have to assume that somehow the Alien Queen got an egg aboard the Sulaco before Ridley killed her, and they never noticed it. Somehow she knew it was a queen, maybe from the EEV footage that showed it had a crest.
That's probably my biggest problem with Alien 3. Well, that and
the fact they offed Hicks and Newt so quickly.
Other than that, I agree that the Director's Cut is far superior to the theatrical release, and I also love the whole look of the film. The only flaws (for me) is in it's story, which has a long and troubled history.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks for the informative posts guys :). I'll check out Predator 2 soon, kinda more interested about it after more positive remarks here.

About the Ripley question
I thought killing of Newt and Hicks was fairly 'consistent' for the series. I mean, Ripley always ends up being the only survivor.

maharg

idspispopd
HomerSimpson-Man said:
God, I wish they would just pull a Highlander and make the rest of the series past 2 like it wasn't part of continuity and James Cameron back at the helm of course.

When people say shit like this it makes me wish Cameron had never touched the Alien series.

Rei_Toei said:
Thanks for the informative posts guys :). I'll check out Predator 2 soon, kinda more interested about it after more positive remarks here.

About the Ripley question
I thought killing of Newt and Hicks was fairly 'consistent' for the series. I mean, Ripley always ends up being the only survivor.

But there were only two movies before the 3rd one. I think James Cameron really hated what they did to his characters, he ends his movies with some type of hope, but it's all thrown away by the troubled history that is Alien 3.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah, you probably can't really call it a trend with only two movies before it. I don't know if Resurrection is gonna be 'consistent' (please don't tell, still gonna watch it :), or perhaps Ridley will once again get robot company.. The whole robot thing in the movies is something I really like, certainly adds something.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I think James Cameron really hated what they did to his characters

So did I. That's why I initially *hated* Alien 3.

But as a standalone, alternate universe movie, if you pretend that it had nothing to do with that which preceded it, Alien 3 isn't really all that bad.

I was really hoping that Alien 4 would have Ripley waking up on the Sulaco from a horrible dream (the events of Alien 3), then looking over & seeing Newt still safe in her hibernation chamber. And when they got back to Earth, finding out that Weyland-Yutani had already brought aliens back from LV-426, and Earth was now infested. But, alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom