• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Ambitious

When I connect my iPhone to my Mac and click on the iPhone item in Photos.app, it shows me about 250 pictures which are already on my Mac. I can't see any pattern: Some are from last week, some from last year, some from five years ago. Why is it displaying them? I'm using iCloud Photo Library and keep the originals on my Mac, so my whole library is already present.

Actually, right above the grid of pictures, it says "Already imported". So what's the point then? Why is it offering me to import the pictures when they're already in the library anyway? And why this apparently random subset of my photos? I don't get it.

mrkgoo

When I connect my iPhone to my Mac and click on the iPhone item in Photos.app, it shows me about 250 pictures which are already on my Mac. I can't see any pattern: Some are from last week, some from last year, some from five years ago. Why is it displaying them? I'm using iCloud Photo Library and keep the originals on my Mac, so my whole library is already present.

Actually, right above the grid of pictures, it says "Already imported". So what's the point then? Why is it offering me to import the pictures when they're already in the library anyway? And why this apparently random subset of my photos? I don't get it.

It should be all photos that you have already imported. Perhaps it's only displaying 250 and the rest are just under "..." Or something? Anyway it's important to show what you have so you know what it's not importing or have the choice to import again.

Majine

Banned
Tweetbot 2 released, with (finally) a Yosemite look.

Tweetbot-2-vs-Tweetbot-Mac-800x631.jpg

Number45

FINALLY!

Don't suppose they've released the iPad update as well?

EDIT: Nope, that's still coming.

Has anyone got the client working? Mine won't launch the authorisation page...

EDIT2: Restart fixed it.

Ambitious

It should be all photos that you have already imported. Perhaps it's only displaying 250 and the rest are just under "..." Or something? Anyway it's important to show what you have so you know what it's not importing or have the choice to import again.

No, it's just those 250 out of several thousands. It really doesn't make any sense. Like, some pictures show up in that import list, and some others I took literally a minute later don't?

When I re-import one of them, it just creates a duplicate in my library. Speaking of which, is there really no way to find duplicates?

It'll likely come with the new music streaming service, so I would guess by two weeks after.

You think so? I could see an iTunes update giving us that, but I don't know if I see the need for an OS X update.

Maybe they want to kill discoveryd with simultaneous iOS/OS X releases, though, so it's waiting on iOS 8.4 or something.

mrkgoo

No, it's just those 250 out of several thousands. It really doesn't make any sense. Like, some pictures show up in that import list, and some others I took literally a minute later don't?

When I re-import one of them, it just creates a duplicate in my library. Speaking of which, is there really no way to find duplicates?

Why not click the check mark that says "don't show/import photos I've already imported"? (assuming it's like iPhoto and has a similar import pane)

You think so? I could see an iTunes update giving us that, but I don't know if I see the need for an OS X update.

Maybe they want to kill discoveryd with simultaneous iOS/OS X releases, though, so it's waiting on iOS 8.4 or something.

Are we sure iTunes is going to get an update? If there was ever a time for a new app, this is it.

But yeah, it could go either way with 10.10.4. Apple seems to like syncing OS X and iOS minor version updates these days, however.

Edit:

Framework stuff for Apple Music is nice, but really, I just want bug fixes and performance improvements out of 10.10.4. This is the release by which most of the big issues should be solved.

My latest headache is Energy Saver preferences changing on their own, and not sticking/saving after I click "Restore Default". This basically equates to, "Huh, why is my battery life all of a sudden shit?" Oh, because Energy Saver has a mind of its own.

There's also some weird lingering Yosemite responsiveness/beach ball scenarios that I would really like cleaned up, Notification Center issues where my location doesn't update properly, and most frustratingly, if I delete an e-mail automatically from an Apple Mail notification, it doesn't actually get deleted, or even marked as read.

Are we sure iTunes is going to get an update? If there was ever a time for a new app, this is it.

But yeah, it could go either way with 10.10.4. Apple seems to like syncing OS X and iOS minor version updates these days, however.

I think iTunes will get an update only because I can't see an iTunes unbundling happening without a major OS X version update (not a point release), and because the new Music service is rolling out with iOS 8.4 and not with 9.0.

Magnus

Cross-posting for the more relevant thread:

Hi all,

My 2010 MBP is doing alright, though I seem to get the classic Beachball stutter during some applications (Safari, Photoshop, etc.). It's running Mountain Lion, and has both an SSD installed now, as well as 8gb of RAM total.

I'm concerned that I haven't updated the rig in awhile, and may be missing great new functionality and (more critically) security updates. Naturally, that's all gated behind an updated to Yosemite.

I'm really worried this thing won't handle Yosemite well, though. Thoughts?

ramyeon

Hi all,

My 2010 MBP is doing alright, though I seem to get the classic Beachball stutter during some applications (Safari, Photoshop, etc.). It's running Mountain Lion, and has both an SSD installed now, as well as 8gb of RAM total.

I'm concerned that I haven't updated the rig in awhile, and may be missing great new functionality and (more critically) security updates. Naturally, that's all gated behind an updated to Yosemite.

Before upgrading late last year I had a 2010 MBP with a regular HDD and half the RAM you have running Yosemite just fine.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?

Hi all,

You're more than fine. I'm still using a 2009 13" MBP, also decked out with an SSD and 8gb of RAM, and have been running Yosemite since release just fine. I'm a graphic designer, so I oftentimes work with heavy Photoshop documents, but I don't have any problems whatsoever. In fact, I couldn't be more happier, performance wise. The only thing I want is a retina screen ...

mrkgoo

Lol, I just noticed in Yosemite Safari...

the tabs are spaced out evenly, and change size according to how many tabs...I remember this going back and forth between set size and auto-sizing. Itt was annoying when you had auto-sizing tabs, but then tried to close a whole bunch at once and had to keep repositioning your cursor over the 'x' - but i noticed now it autosize,s but waits a bit so you can actually keep clicking on one space to close a bunch, then auto sizes AFTER.

nice.

Ambitious

At least once a day, the accountsd process starts using about 60% CPU and makes my fans go wild. The output in Console.app indicates that it's in some kind of infinite loop. I can fix it by disabling my primary mail account and re-enabling it again. Of course, at some point this happens again, and again, and again.
It's broken.

Why not click the check mark that says "don't show/import photos I've already imported"? (assuming it's like iPhoto and has a similar import pane)

Sure. I could do that. I'm ignoring the import pane anyway, as I sync everything with iCloud. I'm just curious. I would like to know why exactly it's displaying those specific pictures, as it doesn't really make sense to me.

edit: Found a thread in the Apple support forum, so it's not just me. It's a bug. For fuck's sake.

edit 2: I took four pictures earlier today. Thanks to iCloud Photo Library, they're all on my Mac. They show up in the import view as "already imported". So for the sake of testing, I re-imported all four of them. Result: Duplicates of all four have been imported into my library, but the "already imported" section now shows only one of them while the other three show up as "new photos". The number of already imported photos went up by two. Jesus fucking Christ. I can't believe it. What a load of crap.

Lol, I just noticed in Yosemite Safari...

the tabs are spaced out evenly, and change size according to how many tabs...I remember this going back and forth between set size and auto-sizing. Itt was annoying when you had auto-sizing tabs, but then tried to close a whole bunch at once and had to keep repositioning your cursor over the 'x' - but i noticed now it autosize,s but waits a bit so you can actually keep clicking on one space to close a bunch, then auto sizes AFTER.

nice.

Yeah, that's seriously smart design. About time they copied this; Chrome has had it for years.

mrkgoo

At least once a day, the accountsd process starts using about 60% CPU and makes my fans go wild. The output in Console.app indicates that it's in some kind of infinite loop. I can fix it by disabling my primary mail account and re-enabling it again. Of course, at some point this happens again, and again, and again.
It's broken.

Sure. I could do that. I'm ignoring the import pane anyway, as I sync everything with iCloud. I'm just curious. I would like to know why exactly it's displaying those specific pictures, as it doesn't really make sense to me.

edit: Found a thread in the Apple support forum, so it's not just me. It's a bug. For fuck's sake.

edit 2: I took four pictures earlier today. Thanks to iCloud Photo Library, they're all on my Mac. They show up in the import view as "already imported". So for the sake of testing, I re-imported all four of them. Result: Duplicates of all four have been imported into my library, but the "already imported" section now shows only one of them while the other three show up as "new photos". The number of already imported photos went up by two. Jesus fucking Christ. I can't believe it. What a load of crap.

Yeah, that's seriously smart design. About time they copied this; Chrome has had it for years.

I've never had many issues in that regard but i don't trust the cloud to manage stuff like importing. It just seems to have a mind of its own.

Ambitious

I'm pretty sure Safari was doing this before Chrome even came out. I remember actually being bummed that Chrome didn't do it when I switched to it.

You're wrong. Here's a blog post from 2009, detailing the behaviour of both browsers. According to Chrome's release history, this must have been version 3.0.

Here's John Siracusa's review of Mavericks from 2013, in which he describes the newly introduced tab behaviour. He explicitly mentions Chrome as the inspiration.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You're wrong. Here's a blog post from 2009, detailing the behaviour of both browsers. According to Chrome's release history, this must have been version 3.0.

Here's John Siracusa's review of Mavericks from 2013, in which he describes the newly introduced tab behaviour. He explicitly mentions Chrome as the inspiration.
You're probably correct. It was so long ago. I don't even remember or care who does what first anymore. As long as everyone ends up the same in the end. (Except Firefox who is so far behind in every single aspect of modern browser design it's ridiculous. They'll literally never catch up and have shown absolutely no sign that they're trying.)

I want my Favicons back. I miss them so much. Stupid broken SafariStand.

Kito

Is there a way to stop all future downloads saving with the file extension in the name?

E.g. Photo1 will always save as Photo1.jpg

Ambitious

At least once a day, the accountsd process starts using >80% of my CPU. When that happens, I have to disable Mail for my Gmail account in the Internet Accounts view of System Settings and enable it again.

Speaking of Mail, for me it's pretty much broken when it comes to Gmail. At some point, it stops receiving emails. Of course, there's no error message or anything, it just stops working. I only notice it because I receive the mails on my phone too.
Sometimes, it asks me to re-enter my Gmail password at some point, even though I use two-factor authentication. Sometimes, it doesn't.
Sometimes, re-adding my Gmail account fixes this issue. Sometimes, it doesn't. Sometimes, simply declining to re-enter the password causes Mail to immediately start working again. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Fucking hacks. Something something functional high ground.

Ambitious

Major zero-day security flaws in iOS & OS X allow theft of both Keychain and app passwords

Researchers from Indiana University and the Georgia Institute of Technology said that security holes in both iOS and OS X allow a malicious app to steal passwords from Apple’s Keychain, as well as both Apple and third-party apps. The claims appear to have been confirmed by Apple, Google and others.

"We completely cracked the keychain service – used to store passwords and other credentials for different Apple apps – and sandbox containers on OS X, and also identified new weaknesses within the inter-app communication mechanisms on OS X and iOS which can be used to steal confidential data from Evernote, Facebook and other high-profile apps"

The Register says the team reported the flaws to Apple in October of last year. At that time, Apple said that it understood the seriousness of the flaws and asked the researchers to give it six months to address them before the exploit was made public. In February, Apple requested an advance copy of the paper, yet the flaws remain present in the latest versions of both operating systems …

Researchers were able to upload malware exploiting the vulnerabilities to both iOS and Mac App Stores, despite Apple’s vetting. The compromised apps were approved for both platforms.

The team say that they tested the exploit against a wide range of both Mac and iOS apps, and found that almost 90% of them were “completely exposed,” allowing the malware full access to data stored in the apps – including logins.

Just an excerpt. More at the link.

Ambitious

Ever tried deleting several Safari history items at once, e.g. all items of a specific day? It's fun. There's a good chance of Safari locking up for a while. A few seconds, usually, but my record so far was >2min.

And from time to time, deleted history items just reappear in the history. For example, I've deleted all items up to March 2015 (I'm doing a bit of cleaning up today). When I deleted one more item, a few dozens items from December and January reappeared. So I deleted them again. When I deleted another item, several of them reappeared again. And again. And again.
So, 20min later, I thought I had finally successfully cleaned my history. I deleted one final item, and then a few entries from November 2014 appeared.

Long story short: iCloud history sync is broken.

Regarding my above post about Mail.app: Yep, it's dead again. It doesn't work. It just doesn't work. Had to disable my account and enable it again. It's broken.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned my pictures in Photos.app being partially out of order. That's still a thing. Nothing has changed. Apparently, sorting things is rocket science for Apple engineers. I don't expect this to ever be fixed. It's broken.

What else? I've mentioned this before, but it happened again today: Last week, I visited a website once. Just once, and it was the first time I ever visited that site. Today, it appeared in my "Frequently Visited" list in Safari's new tab page. It didn't show up there last week, or in the days since then. No, it appeared just today for whatever reason.
Well, maybe the word "frequently" has a different meaning in Cupertino, who knows.

I also just realized that the Frequently Visited sites on my Mac and the ones of my phone are completely different sites. Great.

Long story short: iCloud history sync is broken.

History sync is the only iCloud service I still have problems with. Thankfully it's not a feature I rely on, but every once in a while when I want to revisit a site I saw on one device and I still can't see it in the shared history... It's annoying.

Never had a problem with erasing history though.

I also just realized that the Frequently Visited sites on my Mac and the ones of my phone are completely different sites. Great.

This is annoying too, but I don't think Apple even makes an attempt to sync them. Not sure if its an oversight on their part or a conscious decision, perhaps they assume users have different use patterns on their mobile devices (I know I default to apps more than websites on my phone).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why has it taken Apple so long to offer a window snap feature?
Apple does things their own way. If they're going to copy a feature, they're going to do as much R&D and UI testing to make sure it works intuitively and fluidly. Copying the Windows way wouldn't have worked as well so they came up with their own thing. Plus they needed to do it for both iOS and OS X at once so they needed to come up with two different interaction methods.

I just hope I use it as much as I am hoping. I'm still hoping for PIP on OS X. I want that more than side by side.

PIP. I need PIP. I will use it so much. Make sure I can choose any space to be PIP and make it follow the focus of the background so it's always there. I would watch the hell out of so much stuff on YouTube, VLC and Plex and not need my iPad propped up next to me anymore. Please, Apple. Please. PIP on OS X. Please. Make it easy to use. Go into Mission Control and drag the window or space to the corners of the screen. Let us resize it, close it and move it by showing some controls and grips when mousing over. And make sure it remains usable like a normal space. Plus it could have uses other than video.

I will cry if PIP doesn't make it into El Capitan by release. Can't wait for the PB next month. Hopefully they make their apps have "sidebar mode" where they collapse to a narrower version when on the side like iOS apps will. (Twitter on iPad will switch to the iPhone view instead when docked in 1/4 mode I believe.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd like PIP on the Mac also, but if it was coming in El Cap, i'm sure they would've announced it already.
Let's just all send feedback when PB comes out. It's too useful not to be included. The benefit would be apps wouldn't have to be customized to work with it. OS X would just use already existing "full-screenable" windows since those are already designed to be resizable anyway. So any app that can already go fullscreen, VLC, an HTML5 compatible internet video player, Mail or Notes or everything else, will already be compatible.

Alternatively I'm going to be wasting a lot of space on the side of my screen with a tiny video player and a lot of black above and below it while in 1/4 mode.

Also, is the resizing limited to fixed 1/4 and 1/2 sizes or can you resize it to any width you want?

Ambitious

Oh, for god's sake. Just learned that when activating Time Machine, external monitors just show a black screen. This is so stupid.

edit: My main screen when I activate Time Machine while the active Finder window is on the main screen:

tm1fljyi.png

My main screen when I activate Time Machine while the active Finder window is on the external monitor's screen:

tm22tus9.png

I need a little help of how this works guys

first time buying an external drive
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro

I was just going to move all heavy apps like iTunes over to the external drive to free up space I had been deleting for years always running out

well setting this up I get the Time Machine pop-up asking if I want to use this disk as back-up?

so for my use I just wanted to clear up space in my internal drive
I had not really kept up with all these new features of this OS

what I don't want is to end up with 2 copies of everything I just want the external to free me up to learn iMovie editing

jts

...hate me...
I need a little help of how this works guys

first time buying an external drive
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro

I was just going to move all heavy apps like iTunes over to the external drive to free up space I had been deleting for years always running out

well setting this up I get the Time Machine pop-up asking if I want to use this disk as back-up?

so for my use I just wanted to clear up space in my internal drive
I had not really kept up with all these new features of this OS

what I don't want is to end up with 2 copies of everything I just want the external to free me up to learn iMovie editing
Not that TimeMachine is particularly new, mind, but yeah, it will create duplicates of your stuff. Because it's a backup tool.

And you know what they say, if you don't backup, your data is as good as lost.

Just as a suggestion, you could use DiskUtility to create a limited size partition on your external (like, say, 50GB?) to use for TimeMachine and then you'd exclude most folders from getting backed up on the TimeMachine options, leaving only important folders where you have important data. The remaining space of your external you'd use as you please.

I'm just preaching, but in any case you can perfectly choose not to use it as a TimeMachine device. Or you can enable it later. It's no biggie.

Not that TimeMachine is particularly new, mind, but yeah, it will create duplicates of your stuff. Because it's a backup tool.

And you know what they say, if you don't backup, your data is as good as lost.

Just as a suggestion, you could use DiskUtility to create a limited size partition on your external (like, say, 50GB?) to use for TimeMachine and then you'd exclude most folders from getting backed up on the TimeMachine options, leaving only important folders where you have important data. The remaining space of your external you'd use as you please.

I'm just preaching, but in any case you can perfectly choose not to use it as a TimeMachine device. Or you can enable it later. It's no biggie.

that is the concept I am not getting like right now I am moving 20GB of a music folder to the external drive the plan is to delete the 20GB music folder in the internal drive

say I do that what does time machine do if I allowed it to backup on the external drive does it leave my folder where I want it or does it mirror that 20GB right back to where I don't want it

I just need to know I can still free up space in the internal HD

jts

...hate me...
that is the concept I am not getting like right now I am moving 20GB of a music folder to the external drive the plan is to delete the 20GB music folder in the internal drive

say I do that what does time machine do if I allowed it to backup on the external drive does it leave my folder where I want it or does it mirror that 20GB right back to where I don't want it

I just need to know I can still free up space in the internal HD
If you allow it now, it should delete the data on it and become a TimeMachine formatted volume. Which shouldn't be messed with. It keeps your Mac files but in an obfuscated manner that is only meant to interpreted by the system.

However, let's say your external is 500GB? You can go to the disk utility app and divide it into 2 different 250GB volumes (or partitions). The size is variable. You can set almost any size to any volume and you're not limited to 2 volumes either. This will not delete your 20GB of music. That will stay on your first volume.

Your external hard drive will then be seen by your computer as 2 different external hard drives (volumes). On one you have your 20GB of music, and any other stuff you wanna throw to free space on your computer, data that you're not afraid to lose.

The other volume you can set to be a timemachine. Completely independent of whatever you have on the rest of your external hard drive.

I'm afraid I may be explaining this in a confusing way but let me try to make into more concise points:

-If you set your external hard drive as a timemachine as it is right now, it should delete your current external HDD data (it will always prompt you a warning anyway)
-But you can set your external HDD to be part time machine, part free data storage where you can keep that 20GB of music plus whatever you want. This is done with the Disk Utility app on your Mac, prior to enabling TimeMachine.
-You can set up TimeMachine to exclude from backing up any folder you don't feel it's necessary to backup, keeping only the essential ones.

EmiPrime

I recommend SuperDuper for making bootable clones of your Macs' drives.

I don't rate Time Machine as a serious backup option in any kind of "oh shit" situation although the versioning thing has its uses. I never bother with it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner over SuperDuper. The 4.x versions are amazing. Trust me. CCC is better. Costs a little more, but is so much more powerful.

SuperDuper! looks like its UI hasn't been updated in over a decade. Their current screenshot of their UI is so barebones and has brushed metal. And the website feels like it's also from the same timeframe.

CCC however got a complete rewrite and overhaul a year or so ago and is so much better than it used to be in every single way.

jts

...hate me...
There's almost always a better specialist tool for the many things Apple has to offer. But the truth is Apple's stuff is usually good enough for my needs and I prefer the convenience of not needing to research/download/pay for 3rd party stuff.

Just yesterday I tried El Capitain and it was too buggy. So I used TimeMachine and 3 hours later I was back to Yosemite like nothing happened. That and having my data safer is all I need from such a tool.

If you allow it now, it should delete the data on it and become a TimeMachine formatted volume. Which shouldn't be messed with. It keeps your Mac files but in an obfuscated manner that is only meant to interpreted by the system.

However, let's say your external is 500GB? You can go to the disk utility app and divide it into 2 different 250GB volumes (or partitions). The size is variable. You can set almost any size to any volume and you're not limited to 2 volumes either. This will not delete your 20GB of music. That will stay on your first volume.

Your external hard drive will then be seen by your computer as 2 different external hard drives (volumes). On one you have your 20GB of music, and any other stuff you wanna throw to free space on your computer, data that you're not afraid to lose.

The other volume you can set to be a timemachine. Completely independent of whatever you have on the rest of your external hard drive.

I'm afraid I may be explaining this in a confusing way but let me try to make into more concise points:

-If you set your external hard drive as a timemachine as it is right now, it should delete your current external HDD data (it will always prompt you a warning anyway)
-But you can set your external HDD to be part time machine, part free data storage where you can keep that 20GB of music plus whatever you want. This is done with the Disk Utility app on your Mac, prior to enabling TimeMachine.
-You can set up TimeMachine to exclude from backing up any folder you don't feel it's necessary to backup, keeping only the essential ones.

thanks I'll give 2 volumes a shot

EmiPrime

I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner over SuperDuper. The 4.x versions are amazing. Trust me. CCC is better. Costs a little more, but is so much more powerful.

SuperDuper! looks like its UI hasn't been updated in over a decade. Their current screenshot of their UI is so barebones and has brushed metal. And the website feels like it's also from the same timeframe.

CCC however got a complete rewrite and overhaul a year or so ago and is so much better than it used to be in every single way.

While the UI could be better (it's not an app I keep open so I am not that bothered), I bought my SuperDuper license 10 years ago and have got free updates since then and they always test it thoroughly for each OS update. John Siracusa uses it too and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for anyone.

There's almost always a better specialist tool for the many things Apple has to offer. But the truth is Apple's stuff is usually good enough for my needs and I prefer the convenience of not needing to research/download/pay for 3rd party stuff.

That's a bit of a waste if you don't mind me saying. OS X has some amazing independent developers while Apple's apps have gotten really stagnant (Time Machine is a great example of that) and crummy.

Fuchsdh

While the UI could be better (it's not an app I keep open so I am not that bothered), I bought my SuperDuper license 10 years ago and have got free updates since then and they always test it thoroughly for each OS update. John Siracusa uses it too and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for anyone.

That's a bit of a waste if you don't mind me saying. OS X has some amazing independent developers while Apple's apps have gotten really stagnant (Time Machine is a great example of that) and crummy.

Eh if it works, it works. There might be great OS X and iOS developers out there, but honestly I'm in the same boat—I can't really think of any third-party program I'm using that directly competes with an Apple one, aside from Microsoft Office and just using web-based Gmail rather than Mail for my personal accounts.

Yeah, it's kind of odd that SuperDuper hasn't updated a screenshot that is at this point nearing a decade old. Doesn't exactly give the appearance of an active program. *Scrolls* and their iTunes icons are six versions behind...

Top Bottom