• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Alright, so I'm still running Mavericks 10.9.5, and haven't made the switch to Yosemite yet in fear of bugs/software incompatibility/general instability.

I've noticed lots of people have had problems since upgrading, and just wondered what the risk is today?

If it helps at all I'm using a Late 2012 MBP (Non Retina), the 650M version.

What are the major benefits of upgrading for me and my laptop?

Anybody having trouble downloading the latest Public Beta?

I get about 10% into the download and then a dialogue box:

Available updates have changed
Click "Show Details" to see the available updates.

Hitting show details shows the exact same update I just tried to download, redownloading gives me the same error and so it just loops over and over.

bionic77

Übermatik;165289686 said:
Alright, so I'm still running Mavericks 10.9.5, and haven't made the switch to Yosemite yet in fear of bugs/software incompatibility/general instability.

I've noticed lots of people have had problems since upgrading, and just wondered what the risk is today?

If it helps at all I'm using a Late 2012 MBP (Non Retina), the 650M version.

What are the major benefits of upgrading for me and my laptop?
For me it was the way it works with your iPhone (assuming you have an iPhone).

Being able to respond to texts and answer phone calls on your computer is pretty amazing.

For me it was the way it works with your iPhone (assuming you have an iPhone).

Being able to respond to texts and answer phone calls on your computer is pretty amazing.

Hmmm I do have an iPhone. This sounds pretty cool. So someone rings you and you can answer through your laptop? Presumably using the laptop mic?

bionic77

Übermatik;165352409 said:
Hmmm I do have an iPhone. This sounds pretty cool. So someone rings you and you can answer through your laptop? Presumably using the laptop mic?
As long as your phone and mac are on the same wifi network all calls will come through your phone and laptop at the same time. You can answer them on the phone or laptop and yeah it uses the speakers and mic to do the phone call. It is pretty good quality and for me it is a lot better than using the iPhone speakerphone.

You also get all of your phone texts on the computer and can respond to the same there.

And there is something called handoff which automatically detects when you are near your laptop or iPad and it will let you finish your email or certain other things on the larger device.

Its pretty nice feature.

I have a MBP from 2010 that did not get any performance hit from upgrading so I think yo are safe.

Ambitious

Any idea why I get prompted to do this every 1-2 days? It's immensely annoying and all of my Google account integration breaks if I don't do it.
mnOeczf.png

Already tried totally wiping out the account and re-adding it, etc.

I used to get this pretty frequently.
When I realized I had still used app-specific passwords with Google, I switched to OAuth and made sure to remove all old credentials from both Google and OS X (System Settings, Mail). The issue appeared to be gone until yesterday, when fucking Mail stopped working once again, showing me the exclamation mark warning icon. Soon after, the message you posted showed up again. It just doesn't work.

Cleaning up my keychain right now. There's a lot of old stuff in there, including outdated Google credentials which might possibly cause this issue.

It's back. Shows up at least once a day, but for some reason Mail keeps working without me re-entering the credentials.

jiiikoo

Banned
Anyone else having the same problem I am having?

Every now and again my Macbook Pro (late 2014 retina) has a problem where the trackpad and keyboard stop working. It's strange because I am able to press the power button to force the Macbook to shutdown but all of the other keys and the trackpad are completely dead. After the restart everything works just fine. I've tried resetting PRAM but not sure if it has any effect. The problem comes and goes and it happens maybe like once every month.

kuppy

You can use something like Bartender to organize (or even hide) menu bar icons. One of my must-have app since the menu bar became a mess like the old Windows notification area...
Just wanted to say that I went MenuBar ReArranger 2, which does a little less than Bartender, but seemed more fitting to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dammit. The latest Public Beta of 10.10.4 breaks either SIMBL or SafariStand because I can't get it to work anymore with even the latest versions. I don't know what they changed because it worked fine in every other beta. Now all my favicons are gone and I can't tell the tabs apart. And since Safari removes the beginning of the page title from the tab if it matches another tab they all become impossible to tell apart. I can't stand it.

I hope they fix this soon. The beta only came out yesterday I believe. I would contact the developer but his Twitter is pretty much completely Japanese. I don't know if he'd understand me.

Why the fuck does Apple not want favicons? How can anyone in their right mind think this is okay for a browser? Favicons exist for a goddamn reason. Just put it in as an option that's off by default if you don't like it. That way you can show off your lovely OS in PR media and presentations but people who aren't idiots can still have the option.

mrkgoo

Dammit. The latest Public Beta of 10.10.4 breaks either SIMBL or SafariStand because I can't get it to work anymore with even the latest versions. I don't know what they changed because it worked fine in every other beta. Now all my favicons are gone and I can't tell the tabs apart. And since Safari removes the beginning of the page title from the tab if it matches another tab they all become impossible to tell apart. I can't stand it.

I hope they fix this soon. The beta only came out yesterday I believe.

Why the fuck does Apple not want favicons? How can anyone in their right mind think this is okay for a browser? Favicons exist for a goddamn reason. Just put it in as an option that's off by default if you don't like it. That way you can show off your lovely OS in PR media and presentations but people who aren't idiots can still have the option.

#teamnofavicons

Fuchsdh

How many items do you guys actually have in your menu bars? All I've got are the time, volume, WiFi, iStat, Dropbox, Rescuetime, Breaktime, Growltunes, 1Password, and Adobe CC. Plenty of room left on my 13" screen.

Ambitious

How many items do you guys actually have in your menu bars? All I've got are the time, volume, WiFi, iStat, Dropbox, Rescuetime, Breaktime, Growltunes, 1Password, and Adobe CC. Plenty of room left on my 13" screen.

Yikes, that's crowded.

Here's mine:
bildschirmfoto2015-04fvko7.png

I want to get rid of the battery icon as well. I could do that with TextBar, but iStat Menus would surely be the better option, just in case I ever want to display other system stats.

The rightmost icon is Bartender. There are five icons in my Bartender bar: CloudApp, Dropbox, Time Machine, Bluetooth and the Bartender settings.

GWX

What's is on my Mac mini right now:
screenshot2015-05-28aznp7i.png

Spectacle (window management), Alfred, BetterTouchTool and standard Apple stuff. Not much, I guess. I also have RogueAmoeba's LineIn set to start when the Mac boots, but it's a dock app instead of a menu bar applet =(

ramyeon

"All"? That's a lot to me haha.

I only have the time, date, battery, volume, wifi, Bluetooth, time machine and AirPlay default. Can't stand much more than that tbh.

DropBox, AirPlay, Keychain (for locking the screen instantly), Messages (though I really ought to remove it since I only use the app for iMessage), Time Machine, BT, WiFi, sound, battery, clock, login.

I should probably clear out a bunch of those since I never actually use them.

Fuchsdh

"All"? That's a lot to me haha.

I only have the time, date, battery, volume, wifi, Bluetooth, time machine and AirPlay default. Can't stand much more than that tbh.

Well, "all" in that I don't feel the need for any sort of hiding shenanigans. :)

That was also the work comp... on my main station, I've got more—

pMBPcNP.png

Twitter (only when the app is open), Skype (ditto), Creative Cloud, Dropbox, RescueTime, 1Password, Google Notifier, BreakTime, Growltunes, Flux, Backblaze, Razer Synapse, Lacie RAID manage, iStat, Vol, BT, Wireless, Time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Well, "all" in that I don't feel the need for any sort of hiding shenanigans. :)

That was also the work comp... on my main station, I've got more—

http://i.imgur.com/pMBPcNP.png

Twitter (only when the app is open), Skype (ditto), Creative Cloud, Dropbox, RescueTime, 1Password, Google Notifier, BreakTime, Growltunes, Flux, Backblaze, Razer Synapse, Lacie RAID manage, iStat, Vol, BT, Wireless, Time.
Scust.

Fuchsdh

Do you guys actually adjust volume through the menu bar? Surely it's slower and less precise than using the volume keys...?

Never, I just keep the icon so I can see with one glance whether my Mac is muted or not. It's also useful to quickly switch audio inputs/outputs by option-clicking it.

As Ambitious says, it's the fastest way to switch audio inputs/outputs to your Mac. I'm constantly changing from my speakers to headphones and from my different microphones.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's useful for quick switching to Soundflower too if you need to capture audio while you're recording the screen.

Ninja Dom

Over here I have:

Wifi symbol - Date & Time - Spotlight symbol - Notification bar

And that's it. As minimal as it can be.

Also, Dark theme too.

Ninja Dom

Seems like I have a bad download of the new Yosemite Public Beta.

The App Store says that the new Public Beta is available (14E26a). It then downloads about 78MB of the 1.26GB update and then attempts to install before the installation fails. saying that "Available Updates have changed".

Not a big deal though. It's only an update to the 10.10.4 Public Beta. I can wait until the next Beta and then try again.

What is the location on the Mac that Yosemite downloads the Beta to before installing it? I want to delete that and perhaps try again.

EDIT: In Macintosh HD > Library > Updates, I have a folder with an installer called Firmware Update which is 78MB big. It's also time-stamped to the correct time I tried the update. I'm guessing this is the faulty update file.

Ambitious

It's back. Shows up at least once a day, but for some reason Mail keeps working without me re-entering the credentials.

..unlike Notes.app, as I just learned. When I open it, it asks me for my Google password, even though I'm using two-step verification. Great.

Fuchsdh

Eh I don't think of a menubar as being cluttered, at least not in the same way as loose files on the desktop and such are. I do often go in and modify my menu bar icons so they fit with each other a little bit (usually it's just a quick trip to the package contents, but I haven't figured out how to do with with the Razer app.)

jts

...hate me...
Guys, if you worry about menu bar clutter or unnecessary icons, just get Bartender. It's great. Basically it adds a second menu bar layer, hidden until when you click the bartender icon (you can set it up in different ways).

I push notification center, TimeMachine, BTT, username, bluetooth and f.lux to Bartender and keep a pretty clean menu bar otherwise.

It was actually almost a necessity on my poor 1280*800 MBP.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is what my menubar looks like currently. We've had this discussion fairly recently actually.

I don't care how ugly you think that many icons is, I only have what I need. If I could I would change a couple things:
The green house is annoying, I don't understand how CrashPlan hasn't gotten their shit together yet and made their apps Retina and dark mode aware. Especially since Retina has been around for 3 years. And Dark Mode is so simple. (I tried editing their resources for that app myself but for some reason they didn't stick.)

If I didn't have an integrated card I'd rather be on discrete all the time. But since I can't permanently set my GPU to discrete I keep it to switch with. As soon as I log in I set it to discrete. I'm sad the app can't just do that for me at app launch. I only switch manually because I am rarely on battery for too long and I do hate the slight delay when switching that mainly gets annoying when constantly bug testing my projects.

I don't need volume there. It's just for at a glance knowing if my volume is set too high. But really I could drop it now.

And if I could, if the Network menu had a mode that acted identical to the current WiFi menu I'd replace that one too like I did the battery. But it doesn't let you choose networks or show signal so I have to keep both.

Since last time I did remove both Hazel and BTT from there because those both live in the background and only need the menubar for accessing preferences, which can be done other ways anyway. I had them on before because they had a tendency to crash and not restart themselves so I wanted quick access or the ability to look and see if they're still running. But I trust them now so I'll let them be hidden.

Now, all my iStats stuff is displayed neatly. I could easily move all the graphs into a Combined menu, and I did try it:
But I really like seeing all that info. Though if I could, too bad they probably can't due to Apple restrictions, I would put the graphs in the Widget sidebar if they displayed themselves combined with click to show the full thing menus like they do now in the current combined menu. But whatever. Also, when the battery is charged, it just shows a tiny white battery with a plug on it so it's out of the way.

Edit: Minus is broken today. Uploaded to Imgur.

mrkgoo

I like to be clean as possible. All I've got going on up in the menu bar is:

Spotlight, time, wifi, BT, time machine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't even show my BlueTooth icon because I know it's on and I never use it for connecting to devices. It's just there for Handoff and Continuity which is the only reason I use it on iOS too.

jts

...hate me...
x4Vrl8g.png

Just to illustrate my previous post, here's what Bartender does for me and how I have my menu bar set up.

Top Bottom