• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first heard that a new Mad Max was coming out, if someone told me, it was going to lead the Oscars in nominations, I would have laughed my ass to the point of collapse.

I cannot believe how good this movie turned out to be and the critical acclaim that followed.

Inarritu already used up his bullshit goodwill from Birdman to not get Revenant canned after he freaking had to double the budget

Nothing but one or two jokes and a few seconds of awkwardness will happen. That's it. He's going to have his kiddie gloves on for this. Same with Gervis for the Globes.

But he wasnt like that the last time he hosted. He roasted Jude Law right to his face and had people phoning in complaints about his Iraq War comments.

Wanderer5

Wow congrats to Mad Max! Deserves the recognition.

And aw Peaunts didn't make it to best animated feature, and I really need to see Anomalisa.

Apdiddy

Very surprised that The Hateful Eight didn't get any nominations besides Best Music, did Tarantino piss someone off that much or is the film not that great?

Jonm1010

Banned
Black writers
Black director
Black leads
set in a Black Philly neighborhood, about the Black son of a Black World Champion boxer.

The only nomination: Sylvester Stallone.

Beasts of no Nation is the better argument to be making for this then Creed.

Those performances legitimately deserved recognition. Idris Elba should be in over a couple nominees and Abraham Attah put in a performance WAY better then Damon did. As much as I liked The Martian.

Creed was legit good but I can see why it ended up the way it did. Stallone is getting a career achievement symbolic nominee, maybe a win. Outside that I am not sure who you kick out? And why Creed deserves the new empty spot over, say, Sicario or Beasts if we are talking about acting noms.

Blader

Happy to see Mad Max getting a nod, it would be terrific if the film somehow won the best picture. I'm not going to do the same thing I did to myself with Gravity and expect it to win though, shit's bad for health.

And with Carol not even being nominated, is there even a realistic chance Iñárritu doesn't do it again?

Spotlight, possibly The Big Short, is much more likely to win Best Picture than The Revenant. And the Academy rarely splits up the best picture/director awards, so I think it's more likely than not that Inarritu doesn't win again.

I assume you are talking about Maz, right? If the story dictates that the character has served their purpose, and there isn't a reason for them to reappear, then that's a story issue, no? I mean, it might be something you realize in the editing, but it's not like that's something that can be fixed in the editing by just inserting the character where they aren't needed. That would require rewrites and reshoots, which isn't an editing issue.

It was Maz, it was Phasma, Kylo, and those are the ones who just flat out disappear. There's plenty of other more subtle issues with the cut.

Rewrites and re-shoots happen a lot as a result of missing scenes. Well, maybe not a lot, but certainly when necessary.

I can already hear Chris Rock saying this

Black Stars
Black Director
Black Producers
Charting the rise of the first hip-hop supergroup, the mainstreaming of a Black Artform performed by Black Men, two of whom went on to build multimedia empires of their own, one of whom became a Black Billionaire

The only nomination: The two white people who wrote the screenplay.

yeah, I think there's a chance Spotlight or Max could take it. Much more for Spotlight, obviously (genre bias is already being brought up as a reason Max shouldn't expect BP)

I keep forgetting about Spotlight, I think you're right, it's the main competition for The Revenant. Sad about other films like Carol, Mad Max (even though it got nomination) and Creed that don't really fit the Academy's profile so they never had a chance.

BowieZ

Banned
Black writers
Black director
Black leads
set in a Black Philly neighborhood, about the Black son of a Black World Champion boxer.

While it's sad Creed was overlooked, I don't think it's fair to draw anything from motherfucking SLY being nominated for Rocky Balboa again. It's fucking SLY.

And Beasts of No Nation was overlooked because of Netflix, really. Nothing to do with colour.

I would also like to point out the many other minorities and foreigners who were recognised.

For example, three women were nominated in film editing!

Black writers
Black director
Black leads

Black Stars
Black Director
Black Producers
Charting the rise of the first hip-hop supergroup, the mainstreaming of a Black Artform performed by Black Men, two of whom went on to build multimedia empires of their own, one of whom became a Black Billionaire

The only nomination: The two white people who wrote the screenplay.

Sigh

Violet_0

Banned
What's the point of best animated feature when inside out is the only animation nominated for best picture.
Like saying inside out won, but these are other great animation this year.

'tis was a good year for animated movies, but the only other real competitor is Anomalisa (which I haven't seen yet). Inside Out is a lock, probably deservedly so. I'm a little surprised that the Peanuts Movie or Little Prince didn't get a nomination over Shaun

the Best Picture category looks kinda unimpressive. I'm rooting for Mad Max: Fury Road (not that I think it really has a chance). Bridge of Spies, The Martian, The Revenant are good to ok but not Best Picture material

and I say it again, I think Oscar Isaac deserves to be nominated for Ex Machina

-griffy-

Banned
It was Maz, it was Phasma, Kylo, and those are the ones who just flat out disappear. There's plenty of other more subtle issues with the cut.

Rewrites and re-shoots happen a lot as a result of missing scenes. Well, maybe not a lot, but certainly when necessary.

I guess I'm not seeing an issue with the other two. Phasma was more a problem due to marketing overselling her prominence in the movie, and Kylo
was there till damn near the end. He gets defeated, we have a scene right after where Snoke tells Hux to go get Kylo and bring him directly to Snoke. Seems obvious he makes it off Starkiller.
I think Maz serves a fairly artificial and obvious story purpose, and once she's done serving that purpose the movie no longer requires her to continue, which I don't see as an editing issue.

But the larger point of my post was that these types of issues fall under the "macro" side of editing, not the micro side. I'll also add that I edit video 40 hours a week as my job, so maybe I'm just paying attention more to micro things. That's absolutely not me saying "I'm right, you're wrong," just pointing out that maybe I have a different perspective on how I'm judging it.

injurai

Banned
Very surprised that The Hateful Eight didn't get any nominations besides Best Music, did Tarantino piss someone off that much or is the film not that great?

I think it was just more his turn to sit this one out. But I thought The Hateful Eight was fantastic compared to some of the other offerings this year. Even better than the past few Tarantino films.

That said, Tarantino doesn't play industry politics. He's got a free pass from Harvey Weinstein to basically be himself, with very little jeopardy of not having his movie produced. He has friends in high places, but he's made it more or less, and doesn't really need to ask favors, nor cash in on them.

Jennifer Jason Leigh deserves best supporting actress though.

What does that even mean?

Acting is an art form, and there are many different styles to practicing that art. If acting's always Joaquin Phoenix all the time it'd be boring because everybody's doing the same thing.

A muted performance doesn't mean it's a better performance, just as a flamboyant, boisterous performance--and not particularly method--doesn't automatically mean it lacks layers or depth. You're essentially illustrating why that Dustin Hoffman/Laurence Olivier story is so great.

I agree with you, there are varieties to acting, and in all forms nuance can be achieved, but a good actors can practice multiple forms of acting. To continue with the example of Daniel Day Lewis, his performance in Gangs of New York (Which has Leo in it too!), was 'flamboyant' and a general sold performance. What makes Day Lewis a great actor is the range of characters he can perform, and the range in his acting.

In my opinion, Leo is nothing more than a great performer, I enjoy seeing his movie. However, does he deserve to be an acclaimed actor? no because outside of the extreme emotions he can portray effectively, he's not a great actor.

A bad actor can give a good performance, that does mean they are a good actor, their body of work is what makes them good actors. (I'm not talking about leo in this sentence)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Beasts of no Nation is the better argument to be making for this then Creed.

Those performances legitimately deserved recognition. Idris Elba should be in over a couple nominees and Abraham Attah put in a performance WAY better then Damon did. As much as I liked The Martian.

Creed was legit good but I can see why it ended up the way it did. Stallone is getting a career achievement symbolic nominee, maybe a win. Outside that I am not sure who you kick out? And why Creed deserves the new empty spot over, say, Sicario or Beasts if we are talking about acting noms.

100% minus the Elba nom. I thought it was one of his weaker performances.

Beasts is the biggest MIA to me. I wouldn't just say Attah deserves the nom, but the award too. His transition from the innocent youth to the war torn child. He did it better than most adult actors. Deserves it more than Leo.

Creed would be 3rd in line for directing after Sicario and Beasts.

Where Creed deserves it is original screenplay. Bridge of Spies should be replaced by it. Creed's screenplay deserves recognition in managing to tie 40 years of history up into a nice package, giving it a fresh start, and while still being respectful to the original material.

Dabanton

A few things stood out

No Steve Carell for the Big Short? That's a damm shame, he was on fire in that movie.

How did 'Joy' get a nom for best actress. It was garbage. But I guess the Academy thought David O Russell+Jen Lawrence together again = a good film, not this time it seems, will be quietly forgotten no doubt.

Best Supporting Actor for Benicio Del Toro for Sicario would have been good. The man was a beastly presence throughout that movie leading to him taking it by the scruff of the neck in the last 20 mins. And if Judi Dench can get nominated for a glorified cameo then surely that would have been no problem?

Creed getting snubbed expect for good old boy Stallone. I see how you roll academy...

I have mixed feelings* about Chi-Raq, but no noms whatsoever? (Unless I missed one.)

* I actually think that's part of the point. Movie makes you think.

Blader

Shit, I didn't even realize Straight Outta Compton didn't make the BP cut. Thought that was supposed to be a shoo in, wasn't it?

injurai

Banned
A few things stood out

No Steve Carell for the Big Short? That's a damm shame, he was on fire in that movie.

How did 'Joy' get a nom for best actress. It was garbage. But I guess the Academy thought David O Russell+Jen Lawrence together again = a good film, not this time it seems, will be quietly forgotten no doubt.

Best Supporting Actor for Benicio Del Toro for Sicario would have been good. The man was a beastly presence throughout that movie leading to him taking it by the scruff of the neck in the last 20 mins. And if Judi Dench can get nominated for a glorified cameo then surely that would have been no problem?

Creed getting snubbed expect for good old boy Stallone. I see how you roll academy...

I agree with all of these. Especially Steve Carell in the Big Short. One of the most stand out roles this year for me.

Jonm1010

Banned
100% minus the Elba nom. I thought it was one of his weaker performances.

Beasts is the biggest MIA to me. I wouldn't just say Attah deserves the nom, but the award too. His transition from the innocent youth to the war torn child. He did it better than most adult actors.

Creed would be 3rd in line for directing after Sicario and Beasts.

Where Creed deserves it is original screenplay. Bridge of Spies should be replaced by it.

I thought Elba did great personally. Just as a for instance, I really don't think Bale deserved the nom when Elba and Del Torro are out there. Heck Carrell, in the same movie, was honestly the best performance. But hey it's someone playing a person with a clinical mental disability, so the academy drools.

As for Creed. I don't really think it's screenplay is anything to write home about unless you haven't ever seen a boxing arc before. It is pretty by the numbers and mostly a rehash of the first film helped by good performances. It's just executed really well. There is frankly no one on that screenplay list that Creed deserves the nominee over IMO.

I guess I'm not seeing an issue with the other two. Phasma was more a problem due to marketing overselling her prominence in the movie, and Kylo
was there till damn near the end. He gets defeated, we have a scene right after where Snoke tells Hux to go get Kylo and bring him directly to Snoke. Seems obvious he makes it off Starkiller.
I think Maz serves a fairly artificial and obvious story purpose, and once she's done serving that purpose the movie no longer requires her to continue, which I don't see as an editing issue.

Kylo was bad pacing.
From the point we last see him to when the planet explodes, there isn't enough time for him to plausibly escape. You look at ANH and Vader has ample time to get a safe distance from the death star. There's no assumptions to be made about our antagonist.

Maz and Phasma
What am I supposed to think, they're dead?

If that was really all the footage they had and the higher ups just said "fuck it," I would certainly be up for nominating this for the "I did the best with what I had" award.

injurai

Banned
I thought Elba did great personally. Just as a for instance, I really don't think Bale deserved the nom when Elba and Del Torro are out there. Heck Carrell, in the same movie, was honestly the best performance. But hey it's someone playing a person with a clinical mental disability, so the academy drools.

Bale was really good though, and clinical mental disability is a bit disingenuous, that wasn't even the main point of his character. He's just a normal guy that likes to immerse himself in math and numbers, and quite frankly it was his career of choice. It was one of the better depictions of someone identified as very high functioning aspergers. It's not even clear how accurate that diagnosis of him is. The real Michael Burry comes across even more normal and friendly than Bale does in the movie.

Elba... in my opinion that was a pretty ghastly performance by him. I was really disappointed in that movie.

-griffy-

Banned
Kylo was bad pacing.
From the point we last see him to when the planet explodes, there isn't enough time for him to plausibly escape. You look at ANH and Vader has ample time to get a safe distance from the death star. There's no assumptions to be made about our antagonist.

Maz and Phasma
What am I supposed to think, they're dead?

Rey runs to Finn, then Chewie shows up in the Falcon, lands the Falcon, gets out, goes over to them, carries Finn on board, takes off and leaves. That seems like enough time for Hux to get to Kylo in a similar fashion and get him off planet.

Don't know why you'd assume Maz is dead. We see her climb out of the wreckage with Han and the others, and tell Finn that he has a weapon in his hand. Once she says this, there's no purpose for her to be in the movie. Her presence would have no bearing on the outcome or climax, therefore she's unnecessary after that point.

Phasma is ambiguous.
We don't see what happens to her, so it's as likely she died as survived. If she turns up in the sequel that we already know is happening, than we'll have our answer.

And again, I don't see how these are editing problems.

If that was really all the footage they had and the higher ups just said "fuck it," I would certainly be up for nominating this for the "I did the best with what I had" award.

I mean, that's pretty much what editing is.

I'll again reiterate the point of my earlier post, that I think the micro level editing, and the good stuff, overrides the problems and makes it deserving of the nomination, but NOT deserving of the win over Mad Max.

Violet_0

Banned
as someone who loved Birdman and kinda disliked The Revenant, please don't let Leo or Iñárritu win. Hardy can have his Oscar, maybe

Ridley327

I have mixed feelings* about Chi-Raq, but no noms whatsoever? (Unless I missed one.)

* I actually think that's part of the point. Movie makes you think.

That one got pretty mixed reviews overall, and I can't imagine that a lot of Academy voters would be comfortable with giving Spike the opportunity to have a platform to say anything on, even if it is something that does need to be said.

burgervan

Shit, I didn't even realize Straight Outta Compton didn't make the BP cut. Thought that was supposed to be a shoo in, wasn't it?

I don't think anybody really expected it to get nominated for anything. It's not even that great of a movie (not that that has ever stopped movies from being nominated).

Violet_0

Banned
Lol, Leo is winning. Beyond that, idunno

I'd rather see this guy win, even if it's not earned
matt-damon-team-america.gif

My predictions. These are good as gold. Take em to Vegas.

Best Picture

Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Director

George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, Carol

Best Supporting Actor

Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight

Best Supporting Actress

Alician Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Music - Original Score

John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (nomination #50!)

Best Music - Original Song

“Til It Happens to You,” The Hunting Ground - Music and Lyric by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga

Best Original Screenplay

Inside Out - Screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Big Short - Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay

Best Animated Feature

Inside Out - Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera

Best Film Editing

The Revenant - Stephen Mirrione

Best Visual Effects

Mad Max: Fury Road - Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams

Best Cinematography

The Revenant - Emmanuel Lubezki

Best Production Design

Mad Max: Fury Road - Colin Gibson (Production Design); Lisa Thompson (Set Decoration)

Best Costume Design

Mad Max: Fury Road - Jenny Beavan

Best Makeup & Hairstyling

Mad Max: Fury Road - Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin

Best Sound Mixing

Mad Max: Fury Road - Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo

Best Sound Editing

Mad Max: Fury Road - Mark Mangini and David White

Best Foreign Language Film

Son of Saul - Hungary; Directed by László Nemes

Best Documentary Feature

The Look of Silence

Best Documentary Short

A Girl in the River

Best Live Action Short Film

Ave Maria

Best Animated Short Film

Bear Story

Anything Max Max is winning would have gone to The Revenant, had MM not been nominated.

Some of these I pulled out my ass.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Revenant seems like the favorite for best picture, so I hope there is a split this year and George Miller wins best director. Fury Road was two hours of expertly controlled chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom