• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another category not really being discussed is that steaming turd of an award for best original song. Lol at one of the worst Bond songs in series history being nominated.

The song that absolutely deserves to win is simple song #3 from Youth, a beautiful song that is performed in the film at its conclusion.

https://youtu.be/UCVnFUUI6X4

I appreciate it when the songs carry narrative importance instead of just being shoved in the credits...

Brothers in Arms and Storm Is Coming are fantastic but overall I think Williams' score is superior. It was unlucky not to get nominated though.

Emarv

You must be joking. What did he actually act in this movie? He was just being super cool and quite. I don't see what is so difficult about that in the sense of actual acting.

Hoo boy. If you don't see the nuance in performance in Rylance, man...Like ViewtifulJC said, don't confuse Best with Most. Great acting is about so much more than that.

sflufan

Banned
It's an absolute travesty that Bridge of Spies and The Martian received Best Picture nominations and Sicario didn't.

wapplew

Are we seriously ragging on Lubezki now?

What's wrong with you people

Nothing against Lubezki, but if you can't denied its been dominated by the most eye grabbing long takes, visual effect heavy film for few years now.
Which is why I think Lubezki going to win again.

Dicktatorship

giphy.gif

Tell me, does Fight Club promote anarchism and/or fascism in your opinion.

To some people you can't depict something they disagree with without the director holding their hand and assuring them that thing they dislike is very very bad and they are oh so right and oh so smart for disliking it

You think Leo plays Leo in every movie like Denzel or tom cruise? He changes drastically from role to role.

I didn't realize Magnolia and Collateral were both Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise.

Nothing against Lubezki, but if you can't denied its been dominated by the most eye grabbing long takes, visual effect heavy film for few years now.
Which is why I think Lubezki going to win again.

I don't understand this complaint. It's by design a visual medium. Yes Gravity and Birdman both look very pretty, but it's also core to both movies' storytelling. Just like non-showy movies with great cinematography like Spotlight or Room

I could definitely get behind that.

I'm also wondering if the major categories should be given a few more spots like they did with best picture.

I could definitely get behind adding more to the 4 main acting categories.

This year maybe isn't the strongest, but many years where only 5 spots for lead actor/actress means some very damn good performances get snubbed.

-griffy-

Banned
Not sure why Star Wars got a Best Editing nomination.

You know, I was thinking about this, and back when you mentioned around release (before I had seen it) that there was some weird editing.

Editing is kind of a complicated thing, since there's very much a macro and a micro side to it. Editing can dictate how the entire movie flows: the pacing, the scene to scene transitions, the overall intangible feel of watching a movie. It works in tandem with many other elements to inform if a movie feels boring, or exciting, or funny.

On the micro side, it's the cut from one shot to the next. How an individual scene, or moment, is constructed. They chose to cut from this shot of Han
saying he already has a copilot
, to this frantic shot of
Chewie resisting as Finn tries to treat his wound
, and the specific choice and timing makes the moment funny. Or they pick this moment to cut to a wider shot and have Rey pop out of the Falcon's floor, interrupting Finn trying to win over BB-8. Or this shot at this time to cut from
Han's death to Rey and Finn's reaction
. Or just juggling the many beats of a large, complicated action scene. I also feel that choosing to only cut away from the
climactic light saber duel to the aerial attack on Starkiller once
, rather than the usual modern blockbuster template of continuously cutting back and forth between disparate action scenes and lessening their individual impact, is itself worthy of high praise :p

I feel like Force Awakens mostly succeeds at the macro "feel", overall start to finish level, but it definitely feels rushed and pushed forward in places. But it is really god damn phenomenal on a micro level, barring one or two moments with Han/Leia that probably had more to do with performances and coverage than anything else. The movie is trying to do so many things, and succeeds at most of them, that I could see the overall effort being commendable, and the micro level pushing it into the list.

Having said all of that, I think Fury Road deserves the win. That shit gets so micro level they are manipulating the timing of individual frames in the middle of shots. And it's kind of awesome that both Mad Max and Star Wars were edited by women.

Hoo boy. If you don't see the nuance in performance in Rylance, man...Like ViewtifulJC said, don't confuse Best with Most. Great acting is about so much more than that.

Yeah, I thought he was great. Best part of that mostly underwhelming movie. It was alright, but I expected more from Spielberg and a Coen brothers script.

I really don't understand DiCaprio, to be honest he's not a very nuanced actor, he knows how to scream, and do bad accents. The movies he's in are good not because he's a greater actor, but because of the great directors he works with.

Fassbender is a better actor than him. So is Idris Elba:why the fuck was he not nominated for Beasts of No Nation? Matter of fact, why the fuck was that movie not nominated for anything? Its better than half the damn nominees for Best Picture. Embarrassing.

TheXbox

I wonder if Star Wars should've gotten a cinematography nod. Some of those David Lean-esque shots on Jakku are simply breathtaking.

I wonder if Star Wars should've gotten a cinematography nod. Some of those David Lean-esque shots on Jakku are simply breathtaking.

Lol fuuuuuck no
It looks nice but it can't compare to the heavy hitters. Luzbeki AND Deakins had a movie this year. The rest are just trolling for second.

Doof warrior should have got a supporting nod.

I wish Mad Max would clean up but thats a pipe dream

I'm surprised it got ten nominations, holy shit

I heard the The Martian was good, but I didn't expect to see it in the running for best picture. I just finished listening to the audio version of the book, which was great. I look forward to seeing the movie now.

Moppeh

Banned
Only one nom for Anomalisa? I didn't see many 2015 movies last year, but even with its problems, it stood out the most.

-griffy-

Banned

It's one of those things where TFA's cinematography was really good, but the nominees are all so good that I don't know what I would swap it out for.

^
Ditto for Mad Max's score.

Ridley327

To some people you can't depict something they disagree with without the director holding their hand and assuring them that thing they dislike is very very bad and they are oh so right and oh so smart for disliking it

Yeah, it's always been weird that so many people equate depiction with endorsement. I never thought of The Wolf of Wall Street as anything but laughing at the characters rather than with them, but that is the point it is trying to make by the end that a lot of people deep down really do want to laugh with them.

It's one of those things where TFA's cinematography was really good, but the nominees are all so good that I don't know what I would swap it out for.

Mindel's work was good, but not good enough to crack that top 5, is all.

(I think Seale's got a shot at it, honestly. Like, a real shot at it. I think Deakins is gonna continue being Susan Lucci, basically)

zma1013

Charlize Theron not being nominated for best actress for Mad Max is fucking criminal

I'm a huge fan of Fury Road and she's good in it and I love the character but I wouldn't exactly call it a performance of this calibur. She's doesn't even do the best acting in the movie, the dude that plays Nux gets that nod from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom