• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| ArcheAge - Queuing Simulator 2014

Won

Definitely interested in this, was a huge fan of UO back in the day and this looks as close as it's gonna get to that kind of MMO again.

Is the housing all gone already? Really? That would suck.

There was still a bit left on my server yesterday and that was one of the first servers that were up. The new ones should have plenty of space available for at least a week, probably for longer.

And of course enough people already try to sell their land.

Godan

I don't even know what class I want to play yet.

When I logged in yesterday I just picked a random class just so I could get my name. If i can get in tonight gona need to have a think about what I want to play.

Raxious

Isn't she a keeper?
lQlcSJI.jpg

Anyway, keep in mind that scamming is allowed in this game, and it's happening a lot currently. ( with all the new players and stuff ).

MidBoss

Definitely interested in this, was a huge fan of UO back in the day and this looks as close as it's gonna get to that kind of MMO again.

Is the housing all gone already? Really? That would suck.

The best spots are all taken but there's lots of room left if you look outside the starting areas. I play Harani in Naima, one of the older servers.

nothing

Finished building my house.
Now I'm not sure what to do next.

...lol

tons of stuff

you can questing
acquire blueprints for a ship
make an aquafarm
buy a donkey!
make an illegal farm/steal from an illegal farm
go to jail
escape from jail
cross continents and create havoc
camp trade run paths and steal packs
throw your wings in the air and glide around like you just dont care
go fishing

etc

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
okay, thanks. I'll keep ignoring this game then, life's too short to put up with gankers.

There are many safe zones where you can't get ganked at all and even the PVP zones have periods of peace time which last for an hour and a half and occur 2 or 3 times per day where no PVP is allowed as well. The only place where you can always be attacked is in the open sea and on the other continent where you are flagged as red.

Honestly it's really not bad at all. I've been playing since alpha and have been ganked maybe 3 or 4 times. Most people just want to be doing their thing since the game is heavily commerce based. Just get in a good guild for times when you need to venture into dangerous areas.

Prodigal

Banned
Trying to try this out but I'm not getting any confirmation e-mails! It's been 24 hours, are they having a lot of traffic?

Godan

Has anybody tried to buy coin's on the website so they can get the 30 Paton status i just get an error when i try to get them .

Namia plebeian checking in.

Any guides on class synergies? I rolled Occultist on one of my toons and I see witchcraft is available as a secondary among other things.

There is some cool quest design in this game. It's pretty much the standard stuff so far, but if you don't feel like grinding out a quest you can turn it in early for reduced exp. On the other hand you can keep grinding out stuff and get more exp for the quest. Really neat concept.

Retro

Yes, labor points are used for everything from opening coin sacks to crafting items, but it does not dictate power. A free-to-play player will have access to all items just like a paying player, but the paying player will just get it quicker.

There is no purchasable armour, and while you might argue that paying for subscription gets you armour quicker, it still doesn't lock out any armour for free-to-play users.

What about regrade charms? One of the estimates on their forums put the dollar value of full BiS gear at around $6,000 USD. Are they still in the Cash Shop?

It normally wouldn't concern me, but since there's open PVP in this game it means someone can effectively P2W their way to statistical superiority and run around destroying everyone who's playing it "legitimately".

Damaniel

Banned
Anyway, keep in mind that scamming is allowed in this game, and it's happening a lot currently. ( with all the new players and stuff ).

Seriously? Was interested in trying this, now not so much. The ability to steal and grief without consequence will do nothing but attract the worst possible gamers -- the kiddies who have too much time on their hands and no conscience to speak of -- to the servers; doubly so because the game is free (and free players are essentially encouraged to steal from others to make progress, as far as I can tell).

Sounds less like a MMO, more like 'Somalia Simulator 2014'. (Admittedly, I'm still a little curious, but the whole 'free for all' gameplay seems like such an unnecessary throwback...)

Tash

Seriously? Was interested in trying this, now not so much. The ability to steal and grief without consequence will do nothing but attract the worst possible gamers -- the kiddies who have too much time on their hands and no conscience to speak of -- to the servers; doubly so because the game is free (and free players are essentially encouraged to steal from others to make progress, as far as I can tell).

Sounds less like a MMO, more like 'Somalia Simulator 2014'. (Admittedly, I'm still a little curious, but the whole 'free for all' gameplay seems like such an unnecessary throwback...)

There are consequences for attacking your own faction. You can get reported for a small crime such as stealing (depending on what was stolen you leave footprints with your name on it and you can get reported to the judges). You go to trial after a certain amount of reports (and if you get killed I think?) and can get set to prison for a while.

Eventually you acculumate infamy points (iirc) and you become a pirate which means:
You will be kos from both factions on both continents. You have to trade on pirate island (limited housing and always full on pvp). Every time you die on the main continents you go to prison automatically and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Questing is also serveraly limited as pirate besides the dailies.

_woLf

Is there an official GAF server? I rolled on either Kymios or Naima (i can't remember) but could move. I haven't actually played yet, I just claimed my character name and then logged off.

kabel

I'm downloading right now. Is this game CPU heavy like most other MMOs?

My Xeon E3-1230v3 should be fine or? I don't know if it uses the 8 threads or needs 4Ghz+ because you can't overclock a xeon.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm downloading right now. Is this game CPU heavy like most other MMOs?

My Xeon E3-1230v3 should be fine or? I don't know if it uses the 8 threads or needs 4Ghz+ because you can't overclock a xeon.

It is, but it's not a killer like some more recent MMOs. It seems optimized better than Wildstar.

Korten

Banned
Question, does having 2 factions make us enemies? I know that's typically how it is, but I thought maybe since its more "sandboxy" that alliances could break the factions bounds.

Would be annoying having 2 GAF guilds for each side...

notworksafe

Only hit about level 12 so far but I'm really liking what I've played so far. Seems like a mix of GW2 and Rift. I haven't gotten into the crafting and farming yet and those seem like the real meat of the game.

Not sure why there's a coke nose facepaint option, but I'm using it!

WsUP4Ta.jpg

Also does anyone know if Founder's Pack stuff is supposed to be available on more than one character? I've put in a support ticket about not having anything on my second character but just was wondering if anyone else actually has their stuff on multiple characters.

RK9039

Also does anyone know if Founder's Pack stuff is supposed to be available on more than one character? I've put in a support ticket about not having anything on my second character but just was wondering if anyone else actually has their stuff on multiple characters.

Yeah it's on all characters now, before it was only on one character which was really bad. You have to get to the mail box to receive it, I think the exp boost is turned on automatically.

Razzorn34

Only hit about level 12 so far but I'm really liking what I've played so far. Seems like a mix of GW2 and Rift. I haven't gotten into the crafting and farming yet and those seem like the real meat of the game.

Not sure why there's a coke nose facepaint option, but I'm using it!

WsUP4Ta.jpg

I laughed way more than I should have at that pic. Lol.

Einbroch

Banned
AFK timers are too long.

I just ran across the street, worked on my bosses computer, had lunch, came back, and was still in game.

ZenVolta

Edit: Game is cry engine 3. Is it a far cry to expect I could run this at max settings with an i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4 gHz and a 780 Ti Classy?

You should be able to run it max but expect some hitching as I dont think anyone can get away from it.

Games pretty fun so far. Iv gotta wonder how long this population is going to last. People seem to be eating it up.

Soi-Fong

You should be able to run it max but expect some hitching as I dont think anyone can get away from it.

Games pretty fun so far. Iv gotta wonder how long this population is going to last. People seem to be eating it up.

Sounds good. I wanted to try this out since I've been burned out by FF XIV. Add to that, I couldn't justify the monthly payment anymore.

notworksafe

Yeah it's on all characters now, before it was only on one character which was really bad. You have to get to the mail box to receive it, I think the exp boost is turned on automatically.

Weird. I have the XP boost but my mailbox is empty. Hopefully I hear something back from the ticket I put in.

Top Bottom