• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owner of Lavabit Faces $10K Fine For Protecting His Users From Federal Spying

Status
Not open for further replies.
it'd be great

I picture some white old men getting together to order some IT Gov dudes to threaten the dude, and then the white young dude who owns lavabit sends an email that says no

directed by wes anderson

Don't worry, it'll have a prominent black man in a very high elected office ordering them to get his encryption keys at all costs. Your fears of an all-white cast can be put to rest.

gblues

Banned
They also fail to disclose that the warrant only allowed log-in information and the date, time, and duration of email transmissions for Snowden's account and the government was ordered to take steps in order to ensure no content related information was intercepted and to ensure Snowden's account was the only one affected.

Yes, because court orders are so effective at preventing unscrupulous government monitoring!

This isn't like tapping a phone line. Once the warrant expires, the phone company disconnects the tap and law enforcement physically cannot listen any more. Handing over the SSL certs gives the government carte blache to decrypt anything sent, past or present, irrevocably. That's too much trust to give anyone, much less a government.

Still, it could have been handled better. Feds could have colo'd a box, set up their own SSL cert, and had Lavabit redirect Snowden's logins to the fed's servers so that the rest of Lavabit's customers would be completely unaffected.

There's always one...

Read it as able to afford proper legal defense.
The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) briefly considered seeking his imprisonment, according to sources. But after Mr. Levison collected $100,000 USD in donations to support a legal defense, the DOJ declined to seek prison time for Mr. Levison's acts of civil disobedience. Instead it opted to just punish Mr. Levison with the financial penalty stated in the original contempt order -- a fine of $10,000 USD.
Its hard to throw the grey book at someone when a competent lawyer is standing in the way.

DiscoJer

Er, couldn't the government read the keys in a size 4 font? I mean, spies use micro-dots, or used to. Size 4 should be no problem.

Cyan

Banned
Decades ago I had a history teacher who often said "If someone comes up to you and says "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." run away.".

Our government is corrupt and broken.

Ronald Reagan was your history teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom