• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM February 09 Issue: Brutal Legends Cover, First Street Fighter IV Review

Rlan

Are they sure Death Tank is 1200 MSP? The prices on Partnernet are not always accurate. They're just a test number.

Ryan_IGN

Rlan said:
Are they sure Death Tank is 1200 MSP? The prices on Partnernet are not always accurate. They're just a test number.

We confirm all XBLA prices with publishers before we finalize the review, so yes, Death Tank is 1200 MSP. Plus, I should know, because I wrote that review. :)

sphinx

the piano man
armubaba said:
I'm still trying to pick between the PS3 and 360 version of SF4. Decisions, decisions.

fuck the 360. if you plan on playing the game intensively through out the rest of this generation, you risk having a RROD console.

you can't go wrong with PS3, besides online gaming is free there.

If I had both systems I would buy every single multiplat game on PS3, the 360 is a piece of shit hardware.

( yes, my 360 was RROD recently, I am VERY bitter )

Rlan

Ryan_OXM said:
We confirm all XBLA prices with publishers before we finalize the review, so yes, Death Tank is 1200 MSP. Plus, I should know, because I wrote that review. :)

Aww. If it is that's sad. Death Tank is one of my favorite games on the Saturn, and the XBLA version, of what I've played, is just as awesome. 1200 MSP will probably kill the online audience the game SHOULD have :(

AAK said:
Edge reviewed SF4 first. (9/10)

Arcade version though

Re: R-Type Dim.
I really don't think points should be docked for a game being niche. It's an arcade game after all and thus it fits right in to the XBLA service.

Adamant

Banned
Jtyettis said:
R-Type;
+Gimmicky video options are fun.
+Actually playable with infinite continues.
-Niche genre appeal, despite sexy upgrades.
? R-Type's Stage 4 sectional boss: Are you kidding?

Death Tank:
Tank delivers bite sized fun against bots or friends. But basic and advanced 20 round campaigns (which only take 10-15 minutes to complete) are all you get for solo play. At $15, Death Tank is ludicrously overpriced.

lol niche appeal? I'm surprised they have the price for Death Tank fixed already, must be coming quite soon (I hope)?

FrankT

Adamant said:
lol niche appeal? I'm surprised they have the price for Death Tank fixed already, must be coming quite soon (I hope)?

Yea, weird comment indeed.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Arcade version though

Re: R-Type Dim.
I really don't think points should be docked for a game being niche. It's an arcade game after all and thus it fits right in to the XBLA service.

They reviewed the arcade version, really?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If the phrase "Racing Sim" summons an image of solemn, cave like space kited out with a high end wheel, multiple monitors and a cockpit(rather than chair)-and that counts as a good thing-you are so gonna love Race Pro. It's monk-like devotion to pure race simulation is remarkable.... and it kind of a turn off for the rest of us.

Race Pro would really benefit from just one ounce of sex appeal. But instead, the career mode i an unapologetically dry list of races-you're tasked with a series of events in Groups A-H. No rookie drivers with stars in their eyes, no fictional leagues to master....not even a garage like hub for fiddling with your unlocked cars. The cars and environments are equally austere, and the slowdown when your car goes off the track is disappointing. Race Pro isn't ugly per se, but it seems hellbent on impressing you with the handling of it's cars and nothing else.

In that, it shines Switch to the cockpit view and turn off all the assists and you're in for one demanding ride. It feels extremely authentic, and it's gratifying to master the proper line around a atrack and start clocking better lap times it handles like a dream using the 360 wireless wheel-the finer degree control over the throttel and steering pays off enormously.

But some perplexing decisions make it hard for mere mortals to master. The medium setting becomes pretty easy after a short while, but he hard setting requires you to turn off all the assists-which means you'll barely be able to drive in a straight line unless your last name is Andretti. Since the difficulty levels don't let you tweak the opponent AI skill in the career mode, most players will be stuck 17+ seconds in Semi Pro, or screaming in frustration at their inability to stop spinning out every 10 feet in Pro.

Actually, most run of the mill race fans who try this game probably won't stay long before returning to Forza or Grid. The 12 player Live races might grab you a night or two, and you should try the oddball co-op mode that lets two players take turns driving one car in a race just so you can marvel at how weird it is. But Race Pro is really aimed at the hearts of a rare few, and you know who you are.

thanks Jtyettis, just saw that you had typed this up.

game sounds awesome by the way. stupid reviews.

Top Bottom