• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pabst Blue Ribbon Is Classy and Expensive in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

Kabouter said:
Bottle does not look that great, Scottish company BrewDog do it better:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.asylum.co.uk/media/2010/07/main1brew.jpg[IMG]

Probably the beverage choice of Ted Nugent from now on, that is, if there were more than twelve bottles of it.[/QUOTE]

that's the craziest thing I've seen all day. :lol :lol :lol

Get'sMad

I used to be a "beer snob", but now I'm so 45.00% abv IPA'd out and hate the feeling of a being pretty drunk after 3-5 beers that I don't give a fuck and will almost rather drink cheap, flavorless shit now.

Salazar

I only remember Pabst from the episode of the West Wing when Charlie's truck-sized footballer friend was wandering around and he'd been booked for having an open can of Pabst while driving.

It's about time for a West Wing rewatch.

JCX said:
Y'all should try Beer 30. I've only heard of it in Michigan. Comes in a purple box.

Fuck this troll. A buddy of mine gave me a 'Beer 30' last night(it's new in SC) and it was the most god awful shit I've ever tasted. It's like they took the charming cardboard taste of a 40 oz and absolutely RUINED it with a fruity aftertaste - and all tied in with a drop of gym sock juice. Burn in hell Beer 30, you'll never have my dollars.

modernkicks said:
I used to be a "beer snob", but now I'm so 45.00% abv IPA'd out and hate the feeling of a being pretty drunk after 3-5 beers that I don't give a fuck and will almost rather drink cheap, flavorless shit now.
I know that feeling as well, and that's the thing with IPAs, are you looking to get drunk, or are you just drinking to enjoy the flavor? I've never really understood the former mindset.

I can get pbr for 14.99 for a 30 pack, yuengling is much more expensive. but i only drink pbr cause it's cheap not because i like it.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
37jsqloFrmln3plhmjARqHU8o1_500.jpg
teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_shredder_costume-hoodie.jpg

animlboogy said:
I once described the Beer 30 experience as "licking the inside of a Buick's trunk that someone spilled a slightly more expensive beer in a few hours prior."

I like yours, too.

:lol :lol

Perfectly apt sir, well done.

Get'sMad

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I know that feeling as well, and that's the thing with IPAs, are you looking to get drunk, or are you just drinking to enjoy the flavor? I've never really understood the former mindset.

Well, at the height of my beer snob'dom, both reasons. I just need a rest from the powerful stuff for awhile.

owlbeak

While on the subject, OP I had heard that in the UK, Budweiser was like a big deal over there to the youth? Is this true?

GoutPatrol said:
Preferred beverage for middle school kids.

Pretty much. The only people I've seen drink Four Locos are underage kids or skanky ladies/actual strippers, though everyone is entitled to make the mistake of buying it once. The groups* I mentioned drink them by choice though..

As a young drinker I used to get a 6 pack of Sparks and get ripped. Energy and alcohol in a can? How could a youth not want it?

*personal anecdotes, please don't RC me

ToxicAdam

Futureman said:
Is Yuengling really that good that you'd go to the trouble to have it shipped? I mean, I have had it a ton, but it tastes like every other lager that's in the $25/case range.

I guess I'll never understand how people have such intense brand loyalty for low to mid range product (coffee is the same).

I'm not a huge fan of the taste, but Yuengling does not taste like every other lager. It definitely has a taste all to it's own. So, if it hits your sweet spot, I can see why people would prefer it to all other cheap(er) beer.

numble

Here's a rough guide to how much American beer may go for in China:
http://www.beijinghomedelivery.com/drink/beer/imported/non-german-beer/

This is a home delivery service, so it should be maybe 10-20% more expensive then people can get it from a store, and going somewhere like Wal-Mart might get you stuff cheaper. I think I've seen PBR before but I don't remember how much it goes for.

Edit:
1844 is not PBR.
http://www.danwei.org/advertising_and_marketing/pabst_goes_upmarket.php
I still like formulating specialty beers. In fact, with Pabst, I just made the first specialty beer in Mainland China. There’s almost no ale in China: I had to smuggle the yeast into the country. I formulated a special high-gravity ale called “1844.” It’s all malt, and we use caramel malts from Germany. The initial aging is dry-hopped rather heavily. Then we do a secondary aging in new uncharred American oak whiskey barrels. We bought 750 brand new barrels to the tune of $100,000. This is a very special beer; it’s retailing for about over $40 U.S. for a 720 ml bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom