• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pabst Blue Ribbon Is Classy and Expensive in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

soco

it was like 9$ a can when i was at this concert a while back. you'd have to pay me about 9$ a can to drink that shit.

Hari Seldon

TheLastCandle said:
Indeed. That beer is basically religion here in central/eastern PA. Great for the price for sure. Just wish they would ditch the green bottles, I hate getting skunked lagers at bars.

Yeah you get that in Western PA also. Pretty much my default beer when out somewhere, because everyone always has it. But it is no where near as low end as PBR. Two different classes of beer.

Flo_Evans said:
PBR is really not that bad.

I'll take a cheap pilsner anyday over 'light' beer.

Sam Adams Light and Bud Light Golden Wheat are the only two light beers I've ever found to be good. The new breed of super-lights (bud 55 and mgd 64) are a damned INSULT, I say.

Xeke

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Yuengling is godly.

I can't find it in Ohio, so the sister always has to bring me a case home from Maryland.

I love Yuengling, it's my beer of choice.

6pkbYuenglingLager12oz.jpg

Mmmm.

TheLastCandle said:
Sam Adams Light and Bud Light Golden Wheat are the only two light beers I've ever found to be good. The new breed of super-lights (bud 55 and mgd 64) are a damned INSULT, I say.

I agree with this. I was amazed at how drinkable Bud Light Golden Wheat was. Seeing as I hate regular Bud Light.

Kinda OT but why are there a bunch of beer snobs in here? I can drink anything from Natural Light to Heineken. Its beer, if presented you just drink it and be happy.

You mean to tell me a liquor company has superficially increased the quality of its product by pricing it high? For shame...

Some of the best (import) beer I've ever drank was no more than $3 a bottle.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I don't think Yuengling or Pabst are good beers by any stretch, but they're a hell of a lot better than Coors, Miller, and Bud. I'm not much of a lager person though. I prefer the heavier consistency and fuller flavor of an ale, porter or stout.

Also, Heineken is disgusting. Fucking skunk ass shit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
BakedPigeon said:
Kinda OT but why are there a bunch of beer snobs in here? I can drink anything from Natural Light to Heineken. Its beer, if presented you just drink it and be happy.

people who like beer != beer snobs

if we wanted to be beer snobs we'd be laughing at people calling yuengling their favorite beer

Davidion

BertramCooper said:
Yuengling is godly.

I can't find it in Ohio, so the sister always has to bring me a case home from Maryland.

Word, Yuengling and Sam Adams are good solid American lagers if you're looking for one.

I think the most expensive bottle of beer I've had is a bottle of Fantôme, and even that was only $30 and change.

$44...:lol That had better be one special ass bottle of Pabst.

Slizz

Xeke said:
I love Yuengling, it's my beer of choice.

6pkbYuenglingLager12oz.jpg

Mmmm.
There is constantly deals for a 12pk of Yuengling for $8.99 at my local supermarket. Whenever that deal is around I make sure to get it. $7.99 for a 12pk of Presidente is also a fucking amazing deal I take advantage of.

Flo_Evans

BakedPigeon said:

I agree, beer is beer. But if given a choice I would take a PBR over a bud light.

jon bones said:

if we wanted to be beer snobs we'd be laughing at people calling yuengling their favorite beer

Indeed. I love beer to death, but just can't bear visiting forums dedicated to the topic, mainly because you can't admit to enjoying a Budweiser or Yuengling on a hot summer day without being scorned at by some buffoon who just finished his '06 bourbon barrel aged vanilla imperial stout. Rest assured, there's little in way of snobbery being shown in this thread so far.

By the way, I love imperial stouts. :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Flo_Evans said:
I agree, beer is beer. But if given a choice I would take a PBR over a bud light.

that's like saying "games are games"

superman 64 is not (your favorite game)

Heres what you'll usually catch me drinking, in no particular order

PBR
Schlitz
High Life
Spotted Cow if I want to feel fancy.

I have tried dozens of different beers though

Hell, the barbershop I go to has PBR for customers to drink while they are getting their haircut.

Viewt

jon bones said:

Word. And honestly, beer snobs often give terrible advice. I've used BeerAdvocate to guide my purchases in the past, and for every Westvleteren there's a goddamn Smuttynose that gets an A- and tastes like sour trash. Seriously, NEVER drink Smuttynose IPA - it's loaded to the hilt with hops and pineapple juice, and instead of being an odd mix that tastes cool and different, it just tastes like shit.

But I'll echo the people in this thread praising Chimay. Chimay Bleue Grande Reserve is my favorite beer, hands down (and you can usually find it in your local grocery store!).

As for PBR, it's easily my favorite of the bottom tier of beers. I'll take a PBR over High Life or any kind of Natty 5/5 times. If you're getting a keg, it's easily the winner (Yuengling obviously tastes better, but it usually costs an extra $15-20, so it's not really worth it for something you're just going to be playing beer pong with / chugging).

BakedPigeon said:

There's a difference from being a snob and enjoying good beer. Your "drink anything" list on a beer scale of 1-100 ranges from about 1 to 3. You're missing out on 97% of beers.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you"range" of Natty Light to Heineken is missing most of the spectrum.

Viewt said:
But I'll echo the people in this thread praising Chimay. Chimay Bleue Grande Reserve is my favorite beer, hands down (and you can usually find it in your local grocery store!).

Chimay Blue is easily one of my faves as well. Love it, but sadly I disagree about being able to get it in my local grocery store. Stupid Pennsylvania.

Patriots7

"dad, what do we have left that's american owned" I say son, i mean there's not much to choose from. but that's what we have Pabst blue ribbon for. Pabst blue ribbon has been around for 200 years or more. that's longer than George Washington. what i like most about this beer is the the taste. it's not like smooth. it's not drinkable. but that's what is good about it. when you drink it down your throat, it gives you a good feeling like George Washington is actually going down your throat to fight the Brits and the redcoats, and the Indians."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Stella > All

Futureman

gamerecks said:
Hell, the barbershop I go to has PBR for customers to drink while they are getting their haircut.

That sounds hipster as fuck.

File me under "I don't give a titty what I drink, just give me a beer."

jersoc

gamerecks said:
Heres what you'll usually catch me drinking, in no particular order

PBR
Schlitz
High Life
Spotted Cow if I want to feel fancy.

I have tried dozens of different beers though

the fact that you drink spotted cow leads me to believe you live in wi.

where is this glorious barber shop?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ConfusingJazz said:
To be fair, Pabst Blue Ribbon did something really weird here in the states as well. People were drinking it so ironically, its now not cheap. Its a bit ridiculous that that happened.

Pearl and Schlitz have stepped in to take it's place.

I swear, if someone drives the price of Pearl up I'm gonna be pissed.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Funny. Although, I'm sure there have been incidents where foreign products have been marketed the same way for us.

We europeans have been doing it with americans for centuries now.
Mhmm oui Jacques bottle that shitty antifreeze! Those stupid yanks will never know the difference!

StoOgE said:
Pearl and Schlitz have stepped in to take it's place.

I swear, if someone drives the price of Pearl up I'm gonna be pissed.

You mean the beer produced by Pearl Brewing Company, a subsidiary of Pabst Brewing Company?

Oh, they also own Lone Star Brewing Company as well.

And Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company.

Pabst has cornered the market of barely tolerable beer.

andymcc

Banned
jon bones said:

so true.

ConfusingJazz said:
Pabst has cornered the market of barely tolerable beer.

whenever i'm slumming it and going to one of the redneck bars around here, the choice is between bud, coors, miller and pabst. pabst is always going to win, but not because it's the king of good beer or some shit.

fallengorn said:
Funny. Although, I'm sure there have been incidents where foreign products have been marketed the same way for us.
I just call that the "Bose" effect. Start with an average product and spend ludicrous amounts on marketing to cultivate the image of prestige and quality and reinforce that belief while unsuspecting consumers gobble it up. Meanwhile, products of equal or superior value can be had for the same price or less languish on the shelf.

I used to drink PBR all the time in college, but only because it was 10 cent drafts on weekends the bar I'd go to.

Yuengling is my beer of choice these days.

My older brother in St. Louis always gets it shipped to his annual International Beer Night party where people have to bring beer from different countries.

Davidion

chaostrophy said:
Nobody in Belgium actually drinks this stuff, do they?

Actually, IIRC, it's relatively low class/common beer in Belgium; "peasant" beer, I think I've read one article called it.

It's similarly "up-marketed" here in the US, just not to that extreme of an extent. In Belgium, I think it's almost like their Budweiser.

Talon- said:
I could go for a Chimay Red right now...

PBR is not worse than High Life. High Life is the worst shit.
High Life is fucking terrible as well but at least it taste like something. PBR tastes like water gone sour.

If I'm going to drink a cheap domestic I'd grab a Yeungling or a Rolling Rock. They are not the best but they will do on a hot day.

tokkun

GillianSeed79 said:
I used to drink PBR all the time in college, but only because it was 10 cent drafts on weekends the bar I'd go to.

Yuengling is my beer of choice these days.

My older brother in St. Louis always gets it shipped to his annual International Beer Night party where people have to bring beer from different countries.

Is your brother aware than Yeungling is a domestic beer?

tokkun said:
Is your brother aware than Yeungling is a domestic beer?

Yes. He mainly ships it because you can't get it in the midwest and everyone loves it. It's obviously not international, but it's not like it's sanctioned event or anything. Well they do give out ribbons for best tasting, but anyway.

Futureman

GillianSeed79 said:
Yes. He mainly ships it because you can't get it in the midwest and everyone loves it. It's obviously not international, but it's not like it's sanctioned event or anything. Well they do give out ribbons for best tasting, but anyway.

Is Yuengling really that good that you'd go to the trouble to have it shipped? I mean, I have had it a ton, but it tastes like every other lager that's in the $25/case range.

I guess I'll never understand how people have such intense brand loyalty for low to mid range product (coffee is the same).

Kabouter

Bottle does not look that great, Scottish company BrewDog do it better:
main1brew.jpg

Our old buddies BrewDog have done it again. Not content with winning back the "strongest beer in the world" title last February with its Sink the Bismarck!, they've now upped their game with a new brew that is 55 percent alcohol by volume and carries a $765 price tag. It's called The End of History.

Oh, and did we mention that the bottles come in stuffed animals-like stuffed animals that were once alive? The 12 bottles have been made featuring seven dead stoats (a kind of weasel), four squirrels and one rabbit. James Watt, one of the two guys behind BrewDog, put it better than we ever could: "The impact of The End of History is a perfect conceptual marriage between taxidermy, art and craft brewing." Just like we've all been waiting for!

For those interested in the actual beer, it's a blond Belgian ale with touches of nettles and juniper berries -- and in order to achieve the brain-blasting alcohol content, it had to be created using extreme freezing techniques.

Probably the beverage choice of Ted Nugent from now on, that is, if there were more than twelve bottles of it.

Flo_Evans

Kabouter said:
Bottle does not look that great, Scottish company BrewDog do it better:

Probably the beverage choice of Ted Nugent from now on, that is, if there were more than twelve bottles of it.

WTF? :lol

That is both awesome and gross at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom