• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

The Cowboy

Thanks for the pics, Aerocrane.

I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to the Win8 App Store - is everything there supposed to run on Win mobile as well as desktop? Anyone know if the game runs on a windows phone?

I guess I'm just asking so that we could maybe do a PSA on the news side of the board letting people know the Steam version of the game is sub par to the console version - IF that is in fact the case. My shitty PC can't play games of any type, really, so I can't compare at all.
I don't think its sub par per say (I recon they use the exact same assets), just how the increase in resolution has been handled makes it look worse (I think).

On the 360 for example, if you set the console to 1080p then the games get auto upscaled to that res if they run at a native lower res (using a hardware upscaler if I recall correctly). On the Pc version though, the native image is just 720p and stretched to a full screen borderless window.

As such if the 360 and PC version have the same 720p assets, the 360 version would look better simply because its using a better type of upscaling.

Aerocrane

I posted this on the other thread that is in Gaming, might as well post it here:

Everyone who is considering buying the PC version, please do try the demo first. There are lots of people on the Steam forums complaining about poor performance and crashes.
Looking at the Steam Database entry for the game, it seems that there is an update coming which will hopefully help with these issues.

Aerocrane

Patch incoming for the Steam version.

1. Show full game AppID store page in demo version.
2. Change channel mapping to 2 channels, disabled check for default audio change every 1 second which may cause audio problems on some audio cards.
3. Fixed a bug that game crashes after updating scores of Highway II and return back to Game Modes Select page.
4. Fixed a bug that game display wrong ranking (always S) in Game Modes Select page.
5. Add Leaderboards for DLC courses in 'Game Mode Total'.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/236450/announcements/detail/1729671232700392699

Very minor fixes so far it seems, there are more things causing crashes than just the bug listed in the patchnotes, and there is no mention of performance fixes.

The Cowboy

PC patch is now out.

Patch 1.0.2.0 Released.

The patch with the following fixes is now released:

1. Show full game AppID store page in demo version.
2. Change channel mapping to 2 channels, disabled check for default audio change every 1 second which may cause audio problems on some audio cards.
3. Fixed a bug that game crashes after updating scores of Highway II and return back to Game Modes Select page.
4. Fixed a bug that game display wrong ranking (always S) in Game Modes Select page.
5. Add Leaderboards for DLC courses in 'Game Mode Total'.
6. Issue regarding uploading Medals on Facebook.
7. Crash in Championship III, Big Eater, and Highway Levels while playing the game and/or when trying to retrieve the Leaderboards Information.

Seems to make the game work perfectly for me now, no crashing at all on any stages (I had no stuttering/performance issues).

Aerocrane

A new update has been released to the PC version that lumped all the files into a single .dat file, preventing modding of the game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Am I the only person on PS3 getting a system lock when setting a time on Championship III Time Trial?

Once you finish the maze and it tries to save the time, the system hangs. On subsequent reboot, at any point that you enter the Championship III to play a maze or see your scores, the system hangs.

Removing your save file fixes the problem, but then everything you unlocked is locked again.

Anyone? :( Is there a patch incoming?

Roto13

Am I the only person on PS3 getting a system lock when setting a time on Championship III Time Trial?

Once you finish the maze and it tries to save the time, the system hangs. On subsequent reboot, at any point that you enter the Championship III to play a maze or see your scores, the system hangs.

Removing your save file fixes the problem, but then everything you unlocked is locked again.

Anyone? :( Is there a patch incoming?

I haven't had that happen.

I am having medals refuse to unlock, though, so that's bullshit. Had to get half a dozen high scores to get the one for beating one of my best scores, and I still haven't gotten the one for beating my high score in 5 minute time attack three times.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hopefully things are fixed. :\

I'm really bummed -- this isn't the version of the game I want, with a permanent hang.

Roto13

So apparently this game got patched on PS3, but I'm not sure what the patch does. Hopefully it fixes the unlocks. Anyone want to test it out?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So apparently this game got patched on PS3, but I'm not sure what the patch does. Hopefully it fixes the unlocks. Anyone want to test it out?
Argh. I won't be able to test for a while. Damnit. Thanks for the head up, Roto13.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yes, looks like bug is fixed. I do not get lockups on Championship III anymore. Yay.

On the flip side, one of my PS3 controllers has started to constantly cause the game to fire off bombs. Switched to another controller, and the behavior goes away -- bad controller?

Fun game, still a classic for this generation.

Fugu

This has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. I can't believe how much fun it is. It took a little while to sink in, however.

Are people still having technical issues with the PC version? It runs perfectly fine for me (there are some score sync issues but that's it) and I'm wondering what the climate for everyone else looks like.

This has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. I can't believe how much fun it is. It took a little while to sink in, however.

Are people still having technical issues with the PC version? It runs perfectly fine for me (there are some score sync issues but that's it) and I'm wondering what the climate for everyone else looks like.

PC version works fine for me. I double dipped for the PC one after playing PS3 and I have to say that I am kinda disappointed that despite the CEDX+ name, the Dig Dug/Rally X etc. stuff were still DLC, but should have seen that they are only part of the special edition. Also the game running at 720p makes it really blurry on my display, which makes the game harder to play for extended time. Still, like you said, it's one of the best games ever. So simple, so addicting.

Fugu

PC version works fine for me. I double dipped for the PC one after playing PS3 and I have to say that I am kinda disappointed that despite the CEDX+ name, the Dig Dug/Rally X etc. stuff were still DLC, but should have seen that they are only part of the special edition. Also the game running at 720p makes it really blurry on my display, which makes the game harder to play for extended time. Still, like you said, it's one of the best games ever. So simple, so addicting.
My monitor is 4:3 and my desktop resolution is 1600x1200 @ 85Hz, which is what it runs at. I'm surprised that it opts to scale down in 16:9.

Can we all agree that Highway II is the best stage?

braves01

Banned
I'm really LTTP on this one, but I got during a Steam sale a while back and have only recently started sinking my teeth into it. It's such a fantastic experience playing this on my computer with a stick and headphones plugged in. I've got all the achievements, and am slowly working towards unlocking everything. My biggest complaint: why aren't all stages unlocked from the get-go? Also it's strange that there's a distinction made between achievements and medals. Why aren't they all just achievements? Anyways, the game almost makes me want a pac-man cab.

My biggest complaint: why aren't all stages unlocked from the get-go?

I guess it's there to offer some progression to make the game more... 2010 game than 1980 game. Well, at least pretty much all the stages are pretty awesome.

Still kinda bummed about the game being 720p, the blurriness is the only thing that's slighly bad about the game.

I'm really LTTP on this one, but I got during a Steam sale a while back and have only recently started sinking my teeth into it. It's such a fantastic experience playing this on my computer with a stick and headphones plugged in. I've got all the achievements, and am slowly working towards unlocking everything. My biggest complaint: why aren't all stages unlocked from the get-go? Also it's strange that there's a distinction made between achievements and medals. Why aren't they all just achievements? Anyways, the game almost makes me want a pac-man cab.
Glad you're digging it. I think there are separate achievements and medals because it was originally a console game with only 12 achievements per the old XBLA limit. The just added stuff for the steam release, I think, though I'm not sure because I don't have that version.

Using an arcade stick?

braves01

Banned
Glad you're digging it. I think there are separate achievements and medals because it was originally a console game with only 12 achievements per the old XBLA limit. The just added stuff for the steam release, I think, though I'm not sure because I don't have that version.

Using an arcade stick?

Yeah, it's not 4-way but I haven't really had issues with it, so I don't think I'm going to go through the hassle of opening up the stick to rotate the gate.

japtor

Yeah it plays fine on a stick, that's how I've been playing (well, not recently) with the 360 version on my cab. I have octo gates which work nicely for it, although I've played it with square too and really didn't like the feel, but ymmv there.

And one extra note about playing on the cab, it works fine on a vertical screen too, I took this pic a while back when I was messing with the audio. Course the game (360 version at least) doesn't support controller configuration but my JAMMA adapter does, so I have the stick rotated there. Nothing on screen is rotated so it's a bit weird at first, but once you get your mind off of trying to look at it the right way and just look at it as is, it plays totally fine.

I tried it with a SF4 Madcatz stick and it didn't work well. I never felt like opening the thing up to switch to a 4-way gate and eventually ended up selling the stick. So I never really got to try it.

braves01

Banned
Not bad. I feel pretty good about this score for a first run at championship I.

m3Y36bC.jpg

TrvlJEM.jpg

Top Bottom