• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

ghibli99

MrPliskin said:
That stinks that the XBL boards are fudged up like that :( I haven't encountered any of that on PSN yet.

What constitutes top 100 on XBL? I'm at 113 right now with 2.037Mil, trying HARD to get to 2.05, seems like it's going to take a lot more work. I'm loosing too much time to slow down right now, I really need to work on memorizing some more patterns.
For Champ II 5-min, just subtract 8 from your rank, since the 3mil+ scores are crap. Doesn't muck things up too much... glad there aren't more. You can tell they're bogus when you watch the replays.

I take it when you guys are talking about getting higher scores you're just talking about the Championship II table? Or do you work on different tables for fun?

MrPliskin

Banned
ghibli99 said:
For Champ II 5-min, just subtract 8 from your rank, since the 3mil+ scores are crap. Doesn't muck things up too much... glad there aren't more. You can tell they're bogus when you watch the replays.

Ah I see. So what was your new score!? You haven't told us yet :p

RyanDG

I've plateaued myself... On Championship 2 on the PS3 boards, I'm sitting at 96th with 2,044,600. Haven't been able to clear that for a long while (since earlier in this thread when I posted that I got to that point). I really should finally take a look at some of the replays now so I can see where I can clean a few seconds off my final chains...

ghibli99

MrPliskin said:
Ah I see. So what was your new score!? You haven't told us yet :p
I'm right around 2.04mil (like RyanDG). Sorry I don't have the exact number... I'm not in front of my consoles at the moment. I'm ghibli99 on both XBL and PSN if you want to add me, although I'm playing this on 360 only.

MrPliskin

Banned
ghibli99 said:
I'm right around 2.04mil (like RyanDG). Sorry I don't have the exact number... I'm not in front of my consoles at the moment. I'm ghibli99 on both XBL and PSN if you want to add me, although I'm playing this on 360 only.

Nice! I've been trying to break 2.05 for a while, but I'm pretty sure I've hit a wall. We're all around the same spot it seems, between 2.03 and 2.05. Seriously fighting for those extra points is BRUTAL.

It makes me angry that I can consistently get between 1.9 and 2 mill flat w/out any problems, when it seemed like a HUGE task before, lol.

MrPliskin

Banned
bkfount said:
great game for $5, but I wish the achievements were harder. Blew threw those pretty quickly.

It's all about the leaderboards here! I finished the trophies in a day or two, but trying to break 2mil on the 5 min leaderboards is epic.

Draft

What do you play with, the dpad or the analog stick?

I've been using the stick, because the Xbox dpad... well, you know.

Nikashi

Banned
I use the analog stick, it really does work best for this game.

Also my Pac Man video got linked somewhere by Notch, the minecraft guy. Getting my inbox flooded with comments now haha

lexi

Banned
Nikashi said:
I use the analog stick, it really does work best for this game.

Also my Pac Man video got linked somewhere by Notch, the minecraft guy. Getting my inbox flooded with comments now haha

How long until you have some sort of record deal? =P

loosus

Banned
Just when you get bored with gaming, something like this comes along...

My first experience with this was the Mini version for PSP and PS3. Good game.

Then, I decided to try out the Deluxe Edition on PS3.

Even if you're not really a Pacman fan, you'll probably like the Deluxe Championship Edition. It's just a very fun game. Plowing through thirty ghosts at once is really a mind-numbing experience. It's truly a thrill to watch those ghosts blast off the screen.

And if you are a Pacman fan, this is seriously like the upgrade between Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3. The controls are the essentially very similar (maybe even identical), the idea is similar, but the environment in which you play is both expanded and different enough to be a truly different game -- and yet, they didn't really add anything to complicate the gameplay, which is quite an accomplishment.

This is the third Pacman game ever (after Pacman and Ms. Pacman) that I truly, truly enjoy and don't feel is a Shamco rip-off. It's one of only a handful of games truly worthy of the Pacman moniker.

HeySeuss

I got this about a week ago and holy fuck what a fun game. Personally I like doing the time trials more than the standard 5 minute score challenge, although I enjoy that too.

I broke the top 400 last night in spiral or half...I can't remember which one. Now cones the fun of shaving time off each one.

Definitely worth the money. I bought it right before it went on sale for half off and I don't even mind a bit.

loosus said:
Just when you get bored with gaming, something like this comes along...

Ain't that the truth. I will end up putting 100 hours into this whereas most $60 so-called "AAA" games can't even hold my interest for 5 hours.

ghibli99

Haven't been able to best my score yet. My wife is gaining ground every day, though... she's up to 1.86mil, which is pretty damn good considering these kinds of games are not her thing. Further testament to how fun it is, methinks. :)

racerx77

Banned
I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this game.. not sure if it's a glitch or not (though I wouldn't think it was intentional).... I tried clearing as many of each side of the mazes as I could, and around 64th or 65th level, the dots are actually in the wall, where of course you can't get to them thus, ending the game (unless you just want to cruise around until time runs out.).. btw, I did this on several different modes with the 10 minute time limit, with the same result.

ghibli99

racerx77 said:
I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this game.. not sure if it's a glitch or not (though I wouldn't think it was intentional).... I tried clearing as many of each side of the mazes as I could, and around 64th or 65th level, the dots are actually in the wall, where of course you can't get to them thus, ending the game (unless you just want to cruise around until time runs out.).. btw, I did this on several different modes with the 10 minute time limit, with the same result.
I did a quick Google search and saw that some folks had this problem on PS3. I haven't seen this on 360 at all.

racerx77 said:

I would have been in TOP 10 of 5 min dungeon score trial without this bug. Thought 1.01 fixed this but I guess not.

Quick question... I noticed that the high scores for the entire spiral stage on my game says 367/2100

2100 seems like an awfully low amount of players since most other maps have around 100,000.

Is the number that low on everyone else's game?

(XBLA version)

added_time said:
Quick question... I noticed that the high scores for the entire spiral stage on my game says 367/2100

2100 seems like an awfully low amount of players since most other maps have around 100,000.

Is the number that low on everyone else's game?

(XBLA version)

Noticed the same thing and I couldn't make heads or tails of it either. Must be glitch because even Manhattan (the next board) has a ton more players.

The Culture Vulture said:
Noticed the same thing and I couldn't make heads or tails of it either. Must be glitch because even Manhattan (the next board) has a ton more players.

Glad to hear it's not just my console bugging out. The only thing I can possibly think of is if they decided to reset the leaderboard on that one stage due to some game-breaking bug that was fixed in the title update.

Something similar happened to the Rocky and Bullwinkle table in Pinball FX 2.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm struggling trying to get into the 2.1 mil zone, and man, it is hard as balls. I think I've just hit a wall or something, I'm going to take a break for a while.

I just played through the "Half" stages.. Man, those are so fun! It almost feels like a puzzle game during that part!

I haven't been this hooked on a game in a very long time.

Kujo

added_time said:

Yeah I noticed a couple of months ago

There's been a problem with that leaderboard for a while (XBLA). Nearly everytime I'd play it since January it wouldn't display my previous rank like the others until I went into it and got a new high score on one of the Spiral levels. So it'd only rank you against people who played a game in that board the past week or so and not all time like the other ones on the main menu. I played it yesterday and it actually did keep my rank from last time, so maybe it'll be fixed now, but we'll see. It doesn't affect rankings in the individual Spiral leaderboards so it's not a huge deal, I just like having 'S' on everything in the main menu :p

Mojo said:
It doesn't affect rankings in the individual Spiral leaderboards so it's not a huge deal, I just like having 'S' on everything in the main menu :p

I wish I had even 1 "S" ranking. Everything on mine is only an "A". :(

Oh well.. just have to keep at it!

Mojo said:
There's been a problem with that leaderboard for a while (XBLA). Nearly everytime I'd play it since January it wouldn't display my previous rank like the others until I went into it and got a new high score on one of the Spiral levels. So it'd only rank you against people who played a game in that board the past week or so and not all time like the other ones on the main menu.

Weird. Now it's even worse too. It went from only displaying a couple thousand players to not displaying any rank at all for it!

On a positive note: I got my second S rank today! So far I've got Championship II and Dungeon.

IGN really nailed the review giving this game a 10. This is the only game this generation besides Mario Galaxy 2 that deserves a perfect score in my opinion.

jintek

Banned
It's weird, first game since the SNES I've been able to get my mom (and fiance) completely addicted to. Something to be said for that. And I'd actually love to see this hit Steam at some point! DX on the road would be great.

Kujo

added_time said:
Weird. Now it's even worse too. It went from only displaying a couple thousand players to not displaying any rank at all for it!
Yeah when that happens you need to beat one of your high scores in the Spiral board. Getting an extra second in a quick time trial should do it.

PetriP-TNT said:
Championship II was the last one I got S from :/

I only think it's the easiest because it has the most players since it's the very first level. It means it's easier to crack the top percentage since a lot of the worst players who gave up on the game only played that level and probably posted bad scores.

Mojo said:
Yeah when that happens you need to beat one of your high scores in the Spiral board. Getting an extra second in a quick time trial should do it.

Thanks for letting me know. That is a lame bug though because eventually I won't be able to beat any more scores. Oh well. It's a small complaint for such a great game.

lazybones18 said:
My God, I haven't played the game in a long time. I'm probably rusty as hell. Have they fixed the rankings yet?

The rankings seem ok to me except for the Spiral stage. Also the top 5 scores or so are just totally fake. Other than that stuff it seems fine to me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone else have this problem: I go right past a sleeping ghost, and it wakes up, but it doesn't follow me, then goes back to sleep. This is frustrating because it fucks up future paths I need to take.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. The ghost snake wasn't going past the sleeping ghosts to add them to the train.

Ghosts don't follow Pac unless there's another ghost already in pursuit. Get one of the free-floaters to pursue you, then the the sleepers will take notice.

And if you already have a lot of ghosts, that's a problem, too. There's a 30 ghost max (IIRC) on your conga line of pursuers.

Nyx

Bought it last week and having a blast.

My GF also is in love with the game, which is good as we can compete for highscores. ;)

Best run I had so far was 1.146.230 on the first map.

I reclaimed my top 200 spot after falling into top 500 for a while, it's kinda shame I stopped playing for a month, if I would have seen that I can so easily rack up better scores in the 10min score trials I would have easily been in the top 100 or so :)

Top Bottom