• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pancakes and cheesecake collide at IHOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
MultiCore said:
Why is it suddenly disgusting, immoral, ect, when companies find fabulous new ways to make food?

The negative reponses to this, the Double Down, and numerous other cullinary wonders depresses me.

because it's making our fatass fat country even more fat. obviously personal responsibility is the primary factor in combatting obesity, but it certainly doesn't help when corporations seem hell-bent on hooking us up to IV's with sugar bags attached to them. This isn't laudable in any nutritional sense, which is the primary purpose of food.

EschatonDX said:
because it's making our fatass fat country even more fat. obviously personal responsibility is the primary factor in combatting obesity, but it certainly doesn't help when corporations seem hell-bent on hooking us up to IV's with sugar bags attached to them. This isn't laudable in any nutritional sense, which is the primary purpose of food.

People make themselves fat, not these companies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Is IHOP really the International House of Pancakes? I bet not.

BattleMonkey said:

Nah, it's kind of a dealer-addict relationship. Takes two to give someone an enormous lumpy ass.

Esch

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

I guess reading the personal responsibility part went over your head, but whatever.

If you're surrounded by a culture of burgers, fries, and double downs, of course obesity is gonna be a problem. I don't even see how that's debatable, really. The symptoms are all here in america.

daw840

EschatonDX said:
I guess reading the personal responsibility part went over your head, but whatever.

If you're surrounded by a culture of burgers, fries, and double downs, of course obesity is gonna be a problem. I don't even see how that's debatable, really. The symptoms are all here in america.

You leave the fucking double down alone asshole. Have you never had 2 chicken strips at the same time?

Alucrid

Banned
The more I think about this the worse it sounds. It just looks like a giant Cakester. And after having two of them I was ready to throw up.

EschatonDX said:

No it didn't go over my head, it just merely is completely a person's own fault. Healthy choices are everywhere, options, and person's own issues with being active are more at fault that companies trying to sell something that a person might find appealing.

Companies should stop trying to make food enticing for customers?

MultiCore

EschatonDX said:

What about being surrounded by a culture of freedom?

I don't believe that anyone should be able to limit my choices due to the percieved personal ineptitude of others.

It's great that you guys want to 'help' people, by preventing them from making 'bad choices', but isn't that really a subjective call?

It's really funny that we're essentially calling every idiots, but at the same time, we support 'their opinions', right to vote, ect.

I don't think all this nanny-state type stuff can actually co-exist with a democracy, at least from an intellectual standpoint. (Obviously it can, it's just horribly contradictory.)

Yes, I saw your personal responsibility comment, but that's obviously tertiary to many.

Esch

Banned
daw840 said:
You leave the fucking double down alone asshole. Have you never had 2 chicken strips at the same time?

yeah, but i would never pay 5$ for two chicken patties sandwiched together with fat and bacon because i'm not a lardass.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting that the state take over companies and force nutritional standards by any means. What i AM saying is that this shit is obviously making our country and people sick, and should be discouraged on principle. Freedom to eat fatty is an inalienable right, sure. But will it be worth it when obesity rates keep climbing, other countries keep laughing at us, and our overall health keeps declining? Because that's what's happening, and it will only get worse.

EschatonDX said:

I don't eat junk food, and I'm a big fan of eating healthy by any definition.

HOWEVER I think you're off base here. saying the "primary" purpose of food is nutrition (and so we should only eat nutritious things) is as silly as saying the primary purpose of sex is procreation (and should never be done for fun). some of it's just there for you to enjoy yourself. Have you ever had a beer?

There's nothing that says you can't eat this once in a blue moon and still have an otherwise healthy lifestyle. It's when people have no discipline or restraint and eat shit every day, for every meal that it's a problem, and as someone else mentioned, having my options limited because someone else doesn't have any sense is bullshit.

Freedom to eat fatty is an inalienable right, sure. But will it be worth it when obesity rates keep climbing, other countries keep laughing at us, and our overall health keeps declining? Because that's what's happening, and it will only get worse.

other countries manage to somehow have fairly healthy lifestyles without banning junk food, and I'm reasonably certain fast food restaurants are everywhere but on the ocean floor at this point.

Esch

Banned
Manmademan said:
HOWEVER I think you're off base here. saying the "primary" purpose of food is nutrition (and so we should only eat nutritious things) is as silly as saying the primary purpose of sex is procreation (and should never be done for fun). some of it's just there for you to enjoy yourself. Have you ever had a beer?

There's nothing that says you can't eat this once in a blue moon and still have an otherwise healthy lifestyle. It's when people have no discipline or restraint and eat shit every day, for every meal that it's a problem.

Whoa, I didn't say anything of the sort, man. Just that food should have some sort of nutritional value, is all. The problem isn't occasional eating of terrible food/vices, but the fact that there is too much of it overall. Think about how unhealthy pretty much all food served in restaurants(chain or otherwise) is. It's a fucked up situation.

other countries manage to somehow have fairly healthy lifestyles without banning junk food, and I'm reasonably certain fast food restaurants are everywhere but on the ocean floor at this point.

You guys really have to realize that I'm not gunning for fast food prohibition here, but an overall change in culinary trends in the united states. But you can't deny that fast food is inextricably linked with bad health.

EschatonDX said:
EDIT: I'm not suggesting that the state take over companies and force nutritional standards by any means. What i AM saying is that this shit is obviously making our country and people sick, and should be discouraged on principle. Freedom to eat fatty is an inalienable right, sure. But will it be worth it when obesity rates keep climbing, other countries keep laughing at us, and our overall health keeps declining? Because that's what's happening, and it will only get worse.

Even before fast foods went into the whole "fuck it" overdrive mode of food, we were still dealing with high amounts of obesity. Then came the healthy food trend and it did no good and no one was buying it.

We can't force or blame responsibility on companies who are doing nothing but making food people are willing to pay for. The consumer is the enabler.

Also many countries have horrible dietary habits, but they are generally healthy because of more active life styles.

MultiCore

EschatonDX said:
yeah, but i would never pay 5$ for two chicken patties sandwiched together with fat and bacon because i'm not a lardass.

Freedom will always be worth it.

I agree with you, people are dumb, and have a hard time making choices that are in their best interest. I don't, however, want anyone else claiming that I can't make those same choices, so I would rather afford others the roome to err, than limit all of us 'for the greater good'.

Educate the masses all you want, I spport you 100%. Just don't put 'sin taxes' on my food, outlaw the Quadruple Bypass burger, or tell me I can only have 2 strips of bacon on my BLT.

Ra\/en

Dude Abides said:
Is IHOP really the International House of Pancakes? I bet not.

Nah, it's kind of a dealer-addict relationship. Takes two to give someone an enormous lumpy ass.

when I was a young kid, I used to be impressed that they were called the "international" house of pancakes. As if they had some sort of worldwide rep.:lol Probably just a rep for being a place that makes you so full you need to skip 1 or 2 meals after.

MultiCore said:

I agree with you, people are dumb, and have a hard time making choices that are in their best interest. I don't, however, want anyone else claiming that I can't make those same choices, so I would rather afford others the roome to err, than limit all of us 'for the greater good'.

Educate the masses all you want, I spport you 100%. Just don't put 'sin taxes' on my food, outlaw the Quadruple Bypass burger, or tell me I can only have 2 strips of bacon on my BLT.

I'm all in favor of sin taxes on food. Tax the shit out of soda all you want. subsizide the healthy stuff. win/win.

MultiCore

Manmademan said:
I'm all in favor of sin taxes on food. Tax the shit out of soda all you want. subsizide the healthy stuff. win/win.
I completely disagree. Neither of those options are good.

First off, I don't want to pay more for things you don't like.(What if they decided to sin tax your favorite game franchise?) (That said, the sin taxes we already have need to be abolished, yesterday.)

Secondly, there is no reason to waste tax dollars on food. If they can't afford food, maybe they should ditch the iPhone with unlimited everything, DirecTV with HBO, and overly-expensive car first. (Random examples, yadda yadda.)

Since when is Social Engineering acceptable?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good fucking lord, that is fucking gross. What is wrong with American cuisine these days?!

Dude Abides

Banned
MultiCore said:

Sorry, you should have to pay for the costs your fatty fat fat lifestyle imposes on the rest of us.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thetrin said:
Good fucking lord, that is fucking gross. What is wrong with American cuisine these days?!

this doesn't bother as me as an armchair nutritionist.

this bothers me as an armchair gastronome.

MultiCore said:
I completely disagree. Neither of those options are good.

First off, I don't want to pay more for things you don't like.(What if they decided to sin tax your favorite game franchise?) (That said, the sin taxes we already have need to be abolished, yesterday.)

Secondly, there is no reason to waste tax dollars on food. If they can't afford food, maybe they should ditch the iPhone with unlimited everything, DirecTV with HBO, and overly-expensive car first. (Random examples, yadda yadda.)

Since when is Social Engineering acceptable?

:lol :lol

they ALREADY tax things I like. Beer, liquor, playing cards (!) all have sin taxes attached to them. I realize though that these things (minus the cards, which is just silly) don't really have any positive benefit, so attaching a premium to them to offset the societal cost is fine with me.

if it happens to discourage abusing the product as a side effect (and say...kids drink more water instead of mountain dew) then hey, that's great. but remember these things, nutritionally speaking, aren't food. They're not necessary, just sheer entertainment. Reasonably healthy stuff (eggs, bread, cereals, meat, etc) should remain tax free.

Wrekt

I'm waiting for the inevitability of someone splitting a double down in half, sticking it on the top and bottom of this and consuming it all at once.

gumshoe

Banned
This is different from the one I had a month ago. They were called cheesecake pancakes, and it was basically small chunks of cheesecake thrown in the pancake mix with strawberry syrup on top. They were really good

daycru

I don't understand the outrage over stuff like this.

If you eat a cheesecake pancake once every few weeks you'll be fine. Don't eat it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom