• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PancakeXR releases demonstration video of someone using the Pancake1 VR headset. Also promotes using it in your car.

Demonstartion video.

Can you play VR in a car? Our newly developed All-in-One VR Headset PANCAKE 1 can effectively reduce motion sickness. People are enjoying this revolutionary product in the car
Fqq5Z0YaIAEbTHb
Fqq5Z0PaEAAKKtH
Fqq5Z0NacAA1z9E
Fqq5Z0SakAEE7R0

If the car model they have in the pics is stationary than that wouldn't prove much, but I can't find anything if there was movement simulation or not. Either way even if it was decent while riding a car, I don't think people are going to keep the headset on while they are using their vehicle, but who knows maybe some people may use it. After all even Zucker said he wanted people to keep their headsets on across the house in everyday life. Maybe both companies saw data showing people want VR on all the time.

The demonstration video seems to have decent positional tracking.

Edit

New video as of march 15th 2023 demonstrating the Pancake1 VR headset by PancakeXR, showing off an upcoming exclusive game,

Pretty precise tracking.

Last edited:
New video as of march 15th 2023 demonstrating the Pancake1 VR headset by PancakeXR, showing off an upcoming exclusive game,

Pretty precise and accurate tracking starting at the near half-way point of the video.

ABnormal

If it's standalone it's good for things like Beat Saber and alike. In big games couldn't have more than PS3 graphics. You have to tether it to a PC for that.

Sony's target is not that: they are pushing for high end VR gaming. Obviously there are also smaller motion controlled games, but those are better on standalone VR platforms.

A.Romero

If it's standalone it's good for things like Beat Saber and alike. In big games couldn't have more than PS3 graphics. You have to tether it to a PC for that.

Sony's target is not that: they are pushing for high end VR gaming. Obviously there are also smaller motion controlled games, but those are better on standalone VR platforms.

It seems it supports PC tether (both Wifi and with cable)

we all know it will be chinese crap

There are some decent chinese electronics. For example Xiaomi branded stuff is pretty popular in my country and seems to perform well.

ABnormal

You might want to look at the Specs I linked again.
The only thing that pushes up is screen resolution. And it's even an LCD. You can understand by yourself that standalone chipset cannot be even in the same order of magnitude of a proper PC or a PS5. Stalone games are what it will run. For other things, it will require a PC or on a standalone version of the game (like Saints and Sinners 2 on Quest 2, which has PS3 graphics on the lower end). Physics are physics. They cannot do magic. And the gamers who buy PSVR2 are mostrly interested on ps5 level games, not standalone ones. As it is for PS5, I for one I'm not interested to play games at previous generations level. That's one of the reasons I quite adore PSVR2 design purpose: an hardware that allows to play VR games which are relatively on par with flat screen ones. Gone is the surrefed choice between high detail OR full immersion. That's one of the dreamed steps I wished for and it's here now.

The only thing that pushes up is screen resolution. And it's even an LCD. You can understand by yourself that standalone chipset cannot be even in the same order of magnitude of a proper PC or a PS5.

It allows tether via wire or wireless to the PC. That's what I was getting at, so you would be able to use it with PC VR for higher-end gaming and taking advantage of the resolution and 6DoF.

ABnormal

It allows tether via wire or wireless to the PC. That's what I was getting at, so you would be able to use it with PC VR for higher-end gaming and taking advantage of the resolution and 6DoF.
Yes, it was clear. The point is, that as a standalone unit, it can't do more than a Quest 3, so those who are interested on high end VR have to use a beefy PC to run it. And if you are interested in high end VR, almost every other high end VR headset is better in any way, aside resolution (which, above a certain number, falls into diminishing returns).
It's just a competitor for Quest 3 and Pico, but it's nothing special for high end VR.
And all of those don't play in the same field of console VR anyway. Most of console gamers interested in VR are not looking for casual motion controlled gaming (the Wii equivalent), but rather high end VR games (PS5/XBoX equivalent).
Those who are interested in Wii VR are not interested in PSVR2: they would buy something like Quest. And those who are interested in high end PC VR do not build a beefy PC only to undermine the final result using an average specced VR unit: they would look for a new Vive, or Varjo, or Pymax.
This Pancake is targeting standalone sector. Obviously ity can be used for tethered VR, but that's not its target, it could not be among the best in that (that do not means that it will not be good: it will, just at that price it will do better in its specific target).

Those who are interested in Wii VR are not interested in PSVR2: they would buy something like Quest.

Went from PS3 to Wii interesting.

Also this is incorrect, the best-sellers list for US and Europe for February show this. People are buying PSVR2 for similar experiences as they would have with Quest primarily, except of course PSVR2 is stronger so the graphics will be better by default, just like if you hooked THIS Pancake1 headset to a PC it would be stronger than standalone.

The dismissal and division of the Quest people from the gaming forum PSVR2 people is pointless also, since we need the former to actually buy the headsets so we can get better games and more investment in VR, and also more competition to create a healthy industry. VR is right now in decline (we don't know Pancake1 or PSVR2 sales numbers yet except for Spain and vaguely in Japan for the later) from the last reports, hardcore alone isn't going to be enough.

Sony launched with enhanced ports of popular casual or non-hardcore games from PCVR, Quest 2, and Steam for a reason. They want those to come over, or who have a PS5, to buy the accessory.

ABnormal

Went from PS3 to Wii interesting.

Also this is incorrect, the best-sellers list for US and Europe for February show this. People are buying PSVR2 for similar experiences as they would have with Quest primarily, except of course PSVR2 is stronger so the graphics will be better by default, just like if you hooked THIS Pancake1 headset to a PC it would be stronger than standalone.

The dismissal and division of the Quest people from the gaming forum PSVR2 people is pointless also, since we need the former to actually buy the headsets so we can get better games and more investment in VR, and also more competition to create a healthy industry. VR is right now in decline (we don't know Pancake1 or PSVR2 sales numbers yet except for Spain and vaguely in Japan for the later) from the last reports, hardcore alone isn't going to be enough.

Sony launched with enhanced ports of popular casual or non-hardcore games from PCVR, Quest 2, and Steam for a reason. They want those to come over, or who have a PS5, to buy the accessory.
PS3 as an example for the level of the graphics.

Wii as an example of the kind of games and audience.

Was it difficult to understand?

And really I don't know how you can think that people buying PSVR2 are primarily interested on standalone like games. But if you need to think like that, go on. Surely I'm not part of that.

VR is now on decline? I'm sooo worried. Don't worry: while you are here playng with "concerns", we are already enjoying some of the best VR experiences out there, and many will follow. You can be "worried" as much as you want, but even as a niche, VR will continue to be here, and technology will continue to evolve. So, this niche of gamers will continue to enjoy even better units and games.

I have already written answers to what you wrote here even before you wrote here, so I will not waste time. The direction Sony is going for VR games is obvious, as it is obvious that having all kind of games is better. It's really not difficult to understand.

And really I don't know how you can think that people buying PSVR2 are primarily interested on standalone like games

I'm not, I'm going off Sony's won best selling report.

VR is now on decline? I'm sooo worried.

I guess you don't want more investment for those better games then.

I have already written answers to what you wrote here even before you wrote here, so I will not waste time.

Lol, you are in a PancakeXR thread doing having this rant.

ABnormal

I'm not, I'm going off Sony's won best selling report.

I guess you don't want more investment for those better games then.

Lol, you are in a PancakeXR thread doing having this rant.
Look, it's simple: you are here with "concerns". Others are enjoying games NOW.

If you are so worried for the future of VR, I'm sorry for you. The "worried" part is ironic, of course. You can try as much you want to try to make things bleak. But when things are coming from a miserable purpose, it just make you pathetic.

But keep the good work, maybe you will manage to convince some retard that VR is doomed (PSVR2, obviously. If it's some other VR, it will be better surely). Go on with misery or get a life.

Look, it's simple: you are here with "concerns". Others are enjoying games NOW.

This is a thread about a headset that recently released. Giving a demonstration video of its capabilities.

Very strange rant you're having here. All I said was based on Sony's own report Quest 2 type experiences or casual SteamVR, are what most owners are buying the most.

Just like the two demonstration videos in this thread, shoes PancakeXR is also focusing on these same type of games. Not sure what the other stuff you're on about is.

ABnormal

This is a thread about a headset that recently released. Giving a demonstration video of its capabilities.

Very strange rant you're having here. All I said was based on Sony's own report Quest 2 type experiences or casual SteamVR, are what most owners are buying the most.

Just like the two demonstration videos in this thread, shoes PancakeXR is also focusing on these same type of games. Not sure what the other stuff you're on about is.
And the comments were not about the video, but about what you wrote. But I'm sure you already realized that, and you are simply trying to spin things and diverge attention.

Look, if only you would be sincerely and honestly interested to analyze the situation and discuss about it, that would be fine and interesting. But you are clearly trying to spin things for some low purpose, which is miserable.

And the comments were not about the video, but about what you wrote.

I literally just explained what my point was in the last post, did you read it? Here it is again,

All I said was based on Sony's own report Quest 2 type experiences or casual SteamVR, are what most owners are buying the most.

There's no spin here, you're imagining things. You're the one brushing off the games getting VR headsets sold as Wii games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom