• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papal resignation linked to inquiry into 'Vatican gay officials', says paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/21/pope-retired-amid-gay-bishop-blackmail-inquiry

A potentially explosive report has linked the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI to the discovery of a network of gay prelates in the Vatican, some of whom – the report said – were being blackmailed by outsiders.

The pope's spokesman declined to confirm or deny the report, which was carried by the Italian daily newspaper La Repubblica.

The paper said the pope had taken the decision on 17 December that he was going to resign – the day he received a dossier compiled by three cardinals delegated to look into the so-called "Vatileaks" affair.

Last May Pope Benedict's butler, Paolo Gabriele, was arrested and charged with having stolen and leaked papal correspondence that depicted the Vatican as a seething hotbed of intrigue and infighting.

According to La Repubblica, the dossier comprising "two volumes of almost 300 pages – bound in red" had been consigned to a safe in the papal apartments and would be delivered to the pope's successor upon his election.

The newspaper said the cardinals described a number of factions, including one whose members were "united by sexual orientation".

In an apparent quotation from the report, La Repubblica said some Vatican officials had been subject to "external influence" from laymen with whom they had links of a "worldly nature". The paper said this was a clear reference to blackmail.

It quoted a source "very close to those who wrote [the cardinal's report]" as saying: "Everything revolves around the non-observance of the sixth and seventh commandments."

The seventh enjoins against theft. The sixth forbids adultery, but is linked in Catholic doctrine to the proscribing of homosexual acts.

La Repubblica said the cardinals' report identified a series of meeting places in and around Rome. They included a villa outside the Italian capital, a sauna in a Rome suburb, a beauty parlour in the centre, and a former university residence that was in use by a provincial Italian archbishop.

[...]

La Repubblica's report was the latest in a string of claims that a gay network exists in the Vatican. In 2007 a senior official was suspended from the congregation, or department, for the priesthood, after he was filmed in a "sting" organised by an Italian television programme while apparently making sexual overtures to a younger man.

In 2010 a chorister was dismissed for allegedly procuring male prostitutes for a papal gentleman-in-waiting. A few months later a weekly news magazine used hidden cameras to record priests visiting gay clubs and bars and having sex.

The Vatican does not condemn homosexuals. But it teaches that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered". Pope Benedict has barred sexually active gay men from studying for the priesthood.

Marc Ouellet confirmed to be pope if this makes bigger waves by then. Guy is super conservative and will have the motive to do a "clean up". Big rift ahead if he wins as a purge potentially takes place to save face and find "purity" for a weakened church.

If it doesn't make bigger waves, he'll be pushed aside. Too dangerous to elect him if they don't want a pope that might use his position and popular support to attempt a conservative reform.

It's also possible that the people using blackmail want a pope that has skeletons in his closet, to be able to extort money from the Vatican through blackmail.

pirata

It makes sense that there's a lot of behind-the-scenes dissent and intrigue going on in the upper echelons of the Church, given that most of the world around them is starting to find the Church's doctrine not just old-fashioned, but downright inhumane.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is the rift is precisely about "gays" and other "vices" from their perspective, as in, some cardinals or other important church officials are leaking material trying to root them out. If their position is strong, or if they use blackmail, they might seek to push for the election of someone who will be on their side. I'm almost certain Ouellet would be. I wonder which side will win, and what happens when either side puts their pope in place.

Interesting times ahead for the Catholic church, if you like drama in your news:)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa. Very interesting. What I do wonder, is why they think homosexualism is the way to go around their votes. I don't mind that they're gay, but it does bother me that they did chastity votes that are not being followed.

Interesting nonetheless.

I can't fucking wait until someone exposes just how rampant pedophilia must be within the Vatican, with undeniable evidence

There are other reports its linked to the child abuse scandal. In effect, people are speculating the resignation is linked to anything controversial involving the Church.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Vatican dismisses reports linking pope's resignation to gay conclave discovery

The Vatican has attacked reports in the Italian media linking Pope Benedict XVI's resignation to the alleged discovery of a network of gay prelates as attempts to influence the cardinals in their choice of a new pontiff.

The Vatican secretariat of state said in a statement: "It is deplorable that as we draw closer to the time of the beginning of the conclave … that there be a widespread distribution of often unverified, unverifiable or completely false news stories that cause serious damage to persons and institutions."

The statement was made as Pope Benedict XVI had his final meeting with senior clerics, lamenting the "evil, suffering and corruption" that have defaced God's creation in a final address to Vatican officials.

[...]

The Vatican has attacked reports in the Italian media linking Pope Benedict XVI's resignation to the alleged discovery of a network of gay prelates as attempts to influence the cardinals in their choice of a new pontiff.

This means that if they are trying to influence their choice, there are some among the top candidates that those leaking the reports consider to be on their side or at least to be someone that would be more favorable to them. Could even mean they want someone weak in power who they can blackmail.

Chichikov

I'm holding out for a American pope. Lets make it happen Cardinal O'Malley.
The only one being (semi) seriously discussed is Dolan, and no one wants that idiot.

It's time for a Mexican pope, I already have many "they took our jerbs" jokes at the ready.

TheNatural

My Member!
I've always wondered how people in the Vatican can be either straight or gay. I'm sure they're attracted to some type of person as human, but they're basically secluded from any type of sex. They're supposed to be practically asexual. How can you even tell if someone is even gay or straight if they have no action?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've always wondered how people in the Vatican can be either straight or gay. I'm sure they're attracted to some type of person as human, but they're basically secluded from any type of sex. They're supposed to be practically asexual. How can you even tell if someone is even gay or straight if they have no action?

They have nights out of sex. Just because they pretend to be chaste means they are?

edit: Another report, maybe they'll push for this guy to be elected, unless they want someone to blackmail in power:

http://newsone.com/2241429/peter-turkson-catholic-pope/

A firestorm of criticism has erupted involving Cardinal Peter Turkson (pictured), who could be next in line to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, all because he has publicly suggested that gay priests are in part to blame for the child sexual abuse scandals within the Catholic Church that have broken and rippled worldwide.

Plenty of people on here know what they are even though they get no action.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Another article

UK's top cardinal accused of 'inappropriate acts' by priests

Three priests and a former priest in Scotland have reported the most senior Catholic clergyman in Britain, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour stretching back 30 years.

The four, from the diocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh, have complained to nuncio Antonio Mennini, the Vatican's ambassador to Britain, and demanded O'Brien's immediate resignation. A spokesman for the cardinal said that the claims were contested.

O'Brien, who is due to retire next month, has been an outspoken opponent of gay rights, condemning homosexuality as immoral, opposing gay adoption, and most recently arguing that same-sex marriages would be "harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual well-being of those involved". Last year he was named "bigot of the year" by the gay rights charity Stonewall.

One of the complainants, it is understood, alleges that the cardinal developed an inappropriate relationship with him, resulting in a need for long-term psychological counselling.

The four submitted statements containing their claims to the nuncio's office the week before Pope Benedict's resignation on 11 February. They fear that, if O'Brien travels to the forthcoming papal conclave to elect a new pope, the church will not fully address their complaints.

"It tends to cover up and protect the system at all costs," said one of the complainants. "The church is beautiful, but it has a dark side and that has to do with accountability. If the system is to be improved, maybe it needs to be dismantled a bit."

G2ZFUwC.jpg

Wilsongt

A strange bump, but I find this line here incredibly ironic.

The statement was made as Pope Benedict XVI had his final meeting with senior clerics, lamenting the "evil, suffering and corruption" that have defaced God's creation in a final address to Vatican officials.

That can be seen as both the world, and the church. Nice duality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom