• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario RPG: HP updated w/ new pics

neo2046

The game is really very cool
hope to get the game next week

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/g8mj/performer/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/g8mj/performer/chara1/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/g8mj/performer/chara2/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/g8mj/performer/chara3/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/g8mj/performer/chara4/index.html

main02.jpg
main03.jpg
main04.jpg

illust01.jpg
illust02.jpg
illust03.jpg

chara01.jpg

chara02.jpg

chara03.jpg

omake01.jpg

chara01.jpg
chara02.jpg
chara03.jpg
chara04.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
easily the best looking game this generation. the perfect example of how art is more important than technology.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is going to be like the best game on gamecube (until RE4 comes out, lol). I wouldn't even care if it ends up being only 5 hours long, they would be the most beautiful and memorable 5 hours on the system.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, why can't more games be that easy to read? Is the game primarily aimed at kids or something?

ge-man

It's definately not a children's game. The original Paper Mario was a decent challenge.

I think the legibilty is just an effect of the clean art style.

dark10x

ge-man said:
It's definately not a children's game. The original Paper Mario was a decent challenge.

I think the legibilty is just an effect of the clean art style.

It isn't the legibility I'm talking about, though. The actual dialog is extremely easy to comprehend when compared to many other games. Usually, when I play Japanese games, I have to flip over to a dicitonary or something to look up a word or two (or three or four :p)...but this is quite different. The simplicity of the dialog actually reminds me of Tomato Adventure (which I played a while ago for reading practice) for GBA.

I kind of assumed that the simplistic dialog suggested a game for children. It wasn't a Nintendo troll.

Mashing

dark10x said:
It isn't the legibility I'm talking about, though. The actual dialog is extremely easy to comprehend when compared to many other games. Usually, when I play Japanese games, I have to flip over to a dicitonary or something to look up a word or two (or three or four :p)...but this is quite different. The simplicity of the dialog actually reminds me of Tomato Adventure (which I played a while ago for reading practice) for GBA.

I kind of assumed that the simplistic dialog suggested a game for children.

That's called a good translation. Paper Mario had an awesome translation... they brought over the quirkeness in the japanese dialog perfectly.

ge-man

dark10x said:

I kind of assumed that the simplistic dialog suggested a game for children. It wasn't a Nintendo troll.

Ok, I see.

dark10x

Mashing said:
That's called a good translation. Paper Mario had an awesome translation... they brought over the quirkeness in the japanese dialog perfectly.

Wha? Translation from what? What are you talking about?

Zilch

Banned
In case his posts are difficult to comprehend, dark10x is talking about the simple language used in the JAPANESE version of the game.

dark10x

Laurent said:
Because the game is originaly... in... JAPANESE!!!

What do you think I'm talking about? I'm saying that, based on all of the screenshots I've seen (such as the ones above), the actual dialog in Paper Mario 2 is easy to read! I have no idea if Nintendo is doing a good translation because I haven't seen any English shots before and I've never played the original Paper Mario. My whole point was that the dialog presented in various PM2 shots suggests an easy reading level in comparison to many other games (such as Nintendo's own Fire Emblem series, which can be hard to handle). I wasn't trying to say the game is "kiddie", the dialog simply resembles stuff I've read that was clearly aimed at kids (hence my example of Tomato Adventure on GBA, which was very simple reading).

That's all. :p

DCX

DCX
I'm loving the look of the game, Nintendo's characters always seem to shine...not to mention they always have unique visual presentation from Donkey Kong Country to Yoshi's Island to this. Nintendo needs to be a software dev...they really need to get out of the hardware game.

DCX

dark10x

Laurent said:
Mashing was talking about the translation of the original Paper Mario, not Paper Mario RPG...

...but I wasn't and he quoted me. I don't understand why the original was even brought into this.

dark10x

ge-man said:
Okay people let's just drop it. Dark meant the Japanese dialog, there's nothing more to discuss.

Yes thank you. I wasn't trying to insult Nintendo. End of story. :p

Laurent

It seems like the characters are at a very high resolution, which allows good close up. Do you guys think that we'll get vectorial paterns games à la Flash anytime soon on a console?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
DCX said:
Nintendo needs to be a software dev...they really need to get out of the hardware game.

DCX

Guess what...They are a software company too!

Buy a Gamecube already.

dark10x

Laurent said:
It seems like the characters are at a very high resolution, which allows good close up. Do you guys think that we'll get vectorial paterns games à la Flash anytime soon on a console?

Well, The Rumblefish on AtomisWave actually uses a technique like that I believe.

Pellham

Banned
when you say childrens' game, you think of something like Elmo, where there is no challenge at all. Paper Mario RPG has extremely simple text that any little kid can read, but it's aimed at all ages, I think. There WILL be hardcore 20+ year old gamers buying this in Japan you know.

ohamsie

Punk Yoshi wasn't in the last game, although in my opinion he doesn't hold a candle to Lakilester, the punk rock Lakitu in the original game.

dark10x

Diomedeskun said:
No. he's new. Maybe he's related to the yoshi you raced against in Mario RPG? Probably not.

Well, his name is "Chibi Yoshi" and he was apparently just born. So he's just a little version of a Yoshi who just happens to look a little crazy. I think "Punk Yoshi" sounds better, though. :p

The game is actually looking pretty nice. Having just checked ou the GS E3 DVD this year, I saw some nice footage of this and it really looks kinda fun. I've never played the original, though, but it looks creative. Oh, and it's 60 fps. ;)

Mashing

Hey Dark10x, I apologize.. I thought you were talking about the english version of Paper Mario... I forgot that they are calling it Paper Mario RPG in Japan rather than Paper Mario 2 like they are doing in the US. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I love these character designs so much. They are filled with energy and quirkiness, a supremely awesome combination for this game.

I'm of course getting the US version of the game, so sadly I'll have to wait for you guys to get it to know how awesome it is.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
illust02.jpg

if that doesn't become the american box art, I'll......see a lot of people complaining about it probably.

Vashu

Holy SH*******T!!!! Paper Mario looks positively awesome! The characters are so wellmade, the Paper-Mecha surprised me, but it looks way too good! Punk Yoshi, Girl Koopa, they all have strong personalities! This will be the best game ever! Now, bring it to Europe, and don't wait a year and a half (time between the US and PAL version) like you did with Animal Crossing!

jooey said:
illust02.jpg

if that doesn't become the american box art, I'll......see a lot of people complaining about it probably.

Where's Kakusha when you need him?!!!! :p

Top Bottom