• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just started World 2 after completing World 1 yesterday and the level design in this game is FANTASTIC. Really rewards exploration.

Shaffield

got the game for christmas, and just thought I'd chime in here to say that i am LOVING it.
i was kind of wary of the game since it got mixed reviews around here, but i'm like halfway through World 3 and have loved every second so far

Intelligent Systems is on fire with the 3DS

Velcro Fly

Just completed the first world. It's rewarding sometimes to find hidden blocks with your hammer to get cool stuff. But other times it's like holy crap what do i do.

In 1-6, I had no idea I could take scraps while in paperize so I stood there like an idiot for probably 10 minutes or more trying to figure out what to do with that one switch.

A lot of the exploration and level design is an exercise in patience though. On to World 2 later!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
got the game for christmas, and just thought I'd chime in here to say that i am LOVING it.
i was kind of wary of the game since it got mixed reviews around here, but i'm like halfway through World 3 and have loved every second so far

Intelligent Systems is on fire with the 3DS

It seems extremely difficult for Intelligent Systems to make anything resembling a poor game. Super Paper Mario is their weirdest game and folks can be forgiven for being unable to get into it.

I suppose Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon could be called their weakest single game, and I know a lot of FE fans seriously dislike it. Yet it's still a very good game taken on its own, IMO.

Counting the days till Awakening for 3DS of course, everything I've seen / heard about it pegs it as fantastic.

Chopper

In paperize, I noticed there are sticker gaps over those mysterious doors behind the scenery and above circles of flowers. Will the game make it obvious what use?

In paperize, I noticed there are sticker gaps over those mysterious doors behind the scenery and above circles of flowers. Will the game make it obvious what use?
I think the doors will be explained. I'm not entirely sure about the flowers.

Anyway, I'm about to enter the final stage of World 2. I'm not a huge fan of the battle system. I don't like the Thing stickers. I hate being unable to attack enemies out of order. The lack of partners, countering, and an audience is disappointing. Bowser's inability to speak is odd.

It's a strange game. Nonetheless, I love exploring the different stages, and returning to stages to find secrets is actually quite fun. The humor is still great. I think so many things in The Thousand Year Door are vastly superior, but Sticker Star is still a solid game. I found myself grinning in World 1-5. I'll be sure to be thorough in my Post-Play survey.

Yup. I missed most of the Wiggler diary pages. I truly hate permanently missable stuff (at least in games that take over 10 hours to beat). Probably my only gripe with this game.

Ah cheers!
Guess I can go fight Bowser then. I'm 35 hours in and have 100%ed the game save the last boss fight.
Despite owning the N64, Cube and Wii Paper Mario's, this is the first one I have actually played (yes I have owned things for over a decade without watching/playing/reading them. I have problems) and admittedly I would've thought 'what was the fuss all about?' had I not heard how much this differed from other entries.
It has some glaring flaws and things I simply wouldn't expect from anything Nintendo was involved with, like having to manually stick 100+ stickers into the museum for example, but the presentation is fantastic. It's just a shame the game beneath it often feels so... empty.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So GAF, are you ready to....SNIFFIT..or...WHIFF IT!?

Also is the original Papah Mareoh game on the VIRTUAH CONSOLE?

Makonero

Alright guys, I know that the answers will be largely tilted in one direction, but I'm considering getting Sticker Star or NSMB2. I enjoy both series quite a bit, but I'm not keen on dishing out $80 for them both right now. Especially since the response to both has been fairly...tepid. Can you convince me one way or the other?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Alright guys, I know that the answers will be largely tilted in one direction, but I'm considering getting Sticker Star or NSMB2. I enjoy both series quite a bit, but I'm not keen on dishing out $80 for them both right now. Especially since the response to both has been fairly...tepid. Can you convince me one way or the other?

hard to compare, really...
NSMB2 is quite a good game. Lots of levels and competent design. It's your typical New game...nothing mindblowing but lots of fun

Paper Mario...I'm still at World 1 and so far I like everything about it: the sticker mechanics, the graphics, the soundtrack. It's not a RPG like TTYD and it's not a platformer. It's basically a puzzle game-platform hybrid in the PM universe, with zero handholding and an emphasis on exploration. It works for me...

zroid

Banned

I would characterize NSMB2's response as tepid. Sticker Star is more divisive.

I'm firmly in the "it's awesome" camp. Then again you should ask yourself why you like the Paper Mario series, because this game might not scratch those itches, necessarily. NSMB2 is definitely a Mario game, it won't disappoint in that regard.

oh wow, I don't think I've laughed this hard at a game in awhile

World 4 spoilers
When Birdo did that weird poll dance thing on the swing, singing an ambiguously gendered song, I nearly cried with laughter.

Currygan

just got to the Rube Goldberg moment in world 1-5

this game is making me giggle like a 12-years old schoolgirl

goddamned Nintendo

Currygan

I got there last night too. Absolutely amazing level. Really looking forward to seeing what this game has to offer.

I'm just glad I didn't listen to all the negativity..I'm trying to find a flaw but from graphics to sticker mechanics, from level layout to fantastic jazzy soundtrack I'm having a great time. Maybe some of the issues people are having are still to come, but so far, this is a bloody good game

AniHawk

I'm just glad I didn't listen to all the negativity..I'm trying to find a flaw but from graphics to sticker mechanics, from level layout to fantastic jazzy soundtrack I'm having a great time. Maybe some of the issues people are having are still to come, but so far, this is a bloody good game

basically, this isn't like paper mario or the thousand-year door, so it sucks.

i like both those games, but this does what it does pretty damn well.

goldenpp72

I just beat the game and did 100 percent of everything (even the wiggler diary stuff). It's a great game taken in it's own light, but it has flaws. While the Wii game had too much filler text, this game went way too far in the other direction, no characters at all, the sticker system is great but the constant risk of not having the right stickers on top of so many of the stickers being samey is a problem.. The level design, music, graphics, overall gameplay and such are great though and I enjoyed the experience. Solid 8 game, if they threw in some funny chars, more variety in stickers and perhaps a way to mail order stickers for a fee at any point, i'd probably knock it up to a 9.

Chopper

I completely ignored any feedback or impressions going in. I just figured "Intelligent Systems Paper Mario" and laughed my way to the shops. I've long since come to terms with the fact that Nintendo uses the Paper Mario series to vent quirky ideas, rather than establish any concrete genre or style to conform to. It is its own thing. Like, I always considered Super Paper Mario a celebration of the D-pad, and loved it.

So far I'm loving the complete lack of convention when it comes to level progression. Having to randomly travel about to retrieve things in order to unlock parts of certain levels is completely crackers and compulsive. There is a serious level of tension that comes with limiting attacks to individual stickers that I really dig, though I am constantly concerned about saving the best stickers, worried about losing important ones prematurely.

What are the permanent missables?

protonion

Noooo! I just found out about that missable!

I just returned the first piece to the tree house. Can I do it with the remaining three? The game didn't give even one small hint...

sinxtanx

Just finished the game, can't say I liked the mechanics or the lack of any deeper story, but level design, aesthetics, meticulous detail and MUSIC were all ace. There's REAL dedication to papercraft here, and the 3DS is PERFECT for it. It's those subtle thicknesses everywhere, where one layer is like one pixel in front of another that just makes it work.
I had no problem with running out of stickers or money, I always thought I had too much of those. Stickers especially. Please, IntSys, drop the stickers if you make another game, and give me an easily managable battle system for jfgsjfhsdbjfhasg sake. The bosses did not feel like bosses, instead they were only large, tedious, "I know what the fuck I need to do, stop stalling" puzzles, and can't agree with this being somehow fun. The absolute worst offender is the final boss, which I just beat after restarting a bunch of times because I did not have the correct sticker with me. (Final boss being horrible to play is counterweighted by the music though, dat remix)

One thing that stands out as odd: of those achievment flags in the sticker fest area, there's one that says something like "Collect all different types of stickers in the world" and my progress, after finishing the game, is 0%. Can someone explain this? Does it just go up to 100% once I've found every type of sticker?

Just the
Wiggler diary pages
in World 3, I believe

What is this, and how?
I'm guessing it has something to do with the book on the third floor of Wiggler's house?

EDIT: I also found this strange 16-digit alphanumerical code (like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx) while rummaging through the W5
trash pile in the jungle
. Anyone know what it's for?

I am having trouble with this game. I have a ton of stickers but never come across any mushrooms. I end up dying really easy and it's making me not like the game so much. Any ideas where I'm steering wrong? What stickers can I use that out multiple enemies?

zroid

Banned
I am having trouble with this game. I have a ton of stickers but never come across any mushrooms. I end up dying really easy and it's making me not like the game so much. Any ideas where I'm steering wrong? What stickers can I use that out multiple enemies?

you can buy mushrooms, shiny mushrooms, and flashy mushrooms in the Decalburg shop

lots of stickers can attack multiple enemies. the best thing to use against all land-based enemies are shells. flowers aren't as strong but they can hit low-flying enemies too. hurlhammers and line jumps are pretty good if you need to deal with multiple flying enemies.

use your battle spinner a lot!

you can buy mushrooms, shiny mushrooms, and flashy mushrooms in the Decalburg shop

lots of stickers can attack multiple enemies. the best thing to use against all land-based enemies are shells. flowers aren't as strong but they can hit low-flying enemies too. hurlhammers and line jumps are pretty good if you need to deal with multiple flying enemies.

use your battle spinner a lot!

What's a battle spinner?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just noticed that the PAL release calls the AWESOME MOMENT SPOILER
quiz Hit it or Snifit, not Snifit or Whiffit. I wonder why they changed it.

zroid

Banned
The trick to hammers (except the Eekhammer) is waiting as long as possible before the head falls off (push A when the sparkle is biggest). Jumps are just pressing A right before you land, for as many jumps as there are.

Boney

Banned
When's the best time to push A when swinging a hammer? When jumping on an enemy?
When jumping?
You gotta press A when the hammer shakes, right before it swings down automatically.
Also if you're dying, you do know that whenever an enemy is about to hit you, you can press A to defend yourself.

d_escudero

Neo Member
I really loving this game, translation to spanish is very good (others paper mario weren't translated in america, i think i missed some good jokes for that), really like the diorama ambient that the game has.
1st world was easy, accumulated a lot of stickers for avoiding some battles, so I go to every battle, I finished 2nd world boss now, clever puzzle

sinxtanx

And now I find the sticker museum. I am a goddamn genius who left a Toad under the fountain for the entire duration of the adventure.

Honestly, this seems like the second best Paper Mario so far. I'm glad Miyamato encouraged the team to do something different/change focus, because it has resulted in an extremely creative game with some really outstanding level design. This may not hit the same spots we've come to expect from the series, but So far it looks like it's a fantastic game regardless.

OMG Aero

I got this game for Christmas and am enjoying it so far but I think it's pretty fucking terrible game design that I'm able to get into a boss fight with a giant Cheep Cheep that I am literally unable to win because I'm not far enough to have the right sticker.
I'm okay with having a boss fight you can't win yet and have to come back to, but the game should at least tell you or give a hint or something. I was bashing my head against this boss for ages until I decided to look online and only then I found out there was nothing I could do and had to run.
There is a Navi character who has given hints in battles before and if she just said something like "maybe we should run away and come back later" then I would be completely okay with this but she didn't say a word.

Currygan

I got this game for Christmas and am enjoying it so far but I think it's pretty fucking terrible game design that I'm able to get into a boss fight with a giant Cheep Cheep that I am literally unable to win because I'm not far enough to have the right sticker.
I'm okay with having a boss fight you can't win yet and have to come back to, but the game should at least tell you or give a hint or something. I was bashing my head against this boss for ages until I decided to look online and only then I found out there was nothing I could do and had to run.
There is a Navi character who has given hints in battles before and if she just said something like "maybe we should run away and come back later" then I would be completely okay with this but she didn't say a word.

well mate, this usually happens in RPGs when you go to a certain place full of overleveled monsters and just run away. I met the same boss just yesterday, tried to fight for a bit then he just killed me...it's typical in those games

zroid

Banned

The bosses are basically puzzles. You're supposed to figure this stuff out before you waste all your stickers, and that's why you can run away from any boss fight with the same efficacy as regular battles. The bosses can be unforgiving -- or in this case impossible -- unless you have that one specific sticker, but that's just how it goes, annoying as it can be. The game was designed this way intentionally.

OMG Aero

well mate, this usually happens in RPGs when you go to a certain place full of overleveled monsters and just run away. I met the same boss just yesterday, tried to fight for a bit then he just killed me...it's typical in those games
In other RPGs I've played where that happens it will either tell you or make it clear you can't win. In this fight I was doing good amounts of damage before it jumped in the water and I was able to block and heal the damage I was taking for a long time. There was nothing to indicate this wasn't just a phase I had to tank until the boss came out of it then use the battle spinner to kill it before it could heal again.
All the fight needed was one line from Kersti and I would have no problem with this at all.

Top Bottom