• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Oxx

Damn. I just got an email about the sticker-book promotion.

Good for me, but probably not a good sign regarding sales of the game.

Ein Bear

Just started playing this, about two hours in so far. Quick question, is this one of those games where NoA and NoE did separate translations (like what happened with the most recent Advance Wars)? I'm in the UK, and all the characters are talking like they live here, which is pretty cool for a change.

So I just finished up the game and I have a number of thoughts: non-spoilers.

#1 - I really wish Intelligent Systems would've done more of a Zelda-like formula where upon when you get new stickers you are forced to use them so you can know what they do. Also, I wish they would've done this more with the "thing" items since they can be crucial to certain boss battles.

#2 - Boss battles. My god, what were they thinking. Just about every single boss battle has a very specific weakness, though it's not one of the regular stickers. Nope. It's all about knowing which "thing" item to use, even though the game never explicitly tells you or hints to you that they are necessary for combat once you first start finding them.

and #3 - DAT FINAL BOSS BATTLE!

Are you kidding me? Hey, I'm all up for trial and error but it is a VERY long sequence of boss fights that require VERY specific stickers to win. The entire battle can take up to 20 mins before you reach a certain part of that fight where if you don't have a certain sticker with you then you are boned, and the game doesn't hint at that either.

Take my advice: do not play this game blind. Read a FAQ!

Social

Finished the game just now. Took me 23 hours and my wife watched me play for at least 20 of those hours. I used a guide 3 times in total.

What an awesome game! Final battle was quite fun and not too long or hard. Took me 2 tries.

The hints from Kersti were way too vague most of the time and some specific sticker uses were very hard to "get" but overall this game was a blast!

zroid

Banned
I went into boss fights and if I couldn't figure out the weakness after a couple tries, I looked it up. Usually I figured it out.

Social

I went into boss fights and if I couldn't figure out the weakness after a couple tries, I looked it up. Usually I figured it out.

I only used a special sticker during the lava part. It made sense to me. For the rest I just survived and kept attacking til I won.

Busaiku

So finished this last night.
It was ok, I guess.

I couldn't really get attached to anyone (though it was about a month since I last played it), and I definitely wouldn't have gotten a number of things without a guide.
The fact that one level had me get to the end, but I couldn't proceed, and had to do it over got me really mad.
I also never got the hang of the raft, making another level pretty frustrating.

I absolutely loved World 4 though.
Everything about that World was great, the rest, not so much.

Last battle made me really hate the fact that you can't arrange the album yourself.
Had no clue about certain things, and I barely managed to make it through cause of that.

zroid

Banned
Same here. That boss battle was too long though, I almost ran out of stickers, the companion thing even told me that next time I should use stronger stickers =/

Nah, Kersti was telling you to next time find the boss' weakness. It happens to almost everyone on the first boss, as there's really no indication you're even supposed to do that, lol.

DonMigs85

Same here. That boss battle was too long though, I almost ran out of stickers, the companion thing even told me that next time I should use stronger stickers =/

Like I mentioned earlier, IGN's review actually recommended fighting bosses 3 times -
get killed the first time, wait until you get a hint the second time, then do it right the 3rd try.

Like I mentioned earlier, IGN's review actually recommended fighting bosses 3 times -
get killed the first time, wait until you get a hint the second time, then do it right the 3rd try.

What's the point? It's not that hard to find the weakness, sure you might have to reset 1 or 2 times but that's it. But if you can't figure it you can just fight with normal stickers.

The Bowser fight is indeed more annoying cause it takes so long (but I went prepared with a lot of special stickers, so eh), but for the others I think the system makes sense.

DonMigs85

What's the point? It's not that hard to find the weakness, sure you might have to reset 1 or 2 times but that's it. But if you can't figure it you can just fight with normal stickers.

The Bowser fight is indeed more annoying cause it takes so long (but I went prepared with a lot of special stickers, so eh), but for the others I think the system makes sense.

I guess they didn't want to waste a lot of stickers and have to waste coins buying them again.

protonion

I've never been so confused about a game.
I know it's no ttyd but from what I saw in the videos it looked like something I would enjoy. Then the impressions were all over the place...

So how's the exploration? Is there any or you just go from A to B doing only battles?

Qurupeke

I know it's no ttyd but from what I saw in the videos it looked like something I would enjoy. Then the impressions were all over the place...

So how's the exploration? Is there any or you just go from A to B doing only battles?

Well, battles are somewhat unecessary. There are some things and rare stickers hidden on the levels so there is exploration. And there is also decent interaction with the environment.

protonion

Got it finally. 3 hours in...

I'm so glad I bought it (I almost didn't due to all the negative feedback).
First of all yeah I know opinions and all, but for this game in particular the people that hate it gave a very false image of it.

Some random thoughts.

-It looks amazing on my xl.
-The paper mario charm is there.
-Lighter on the script. Enjoyable as always.
-Of course it's not ttyd (which I love), but I can honestly say that I have as much fun.
-The stickers are fun. Peeling, collecting, using... They're a neat mechanic.
-I like the lack of xp. You can battle at your own pace. And if you don't feel like battling you don't have the stress of the lost xp. For games that are not serious about being an rpg I don't mind.

One thing though that I fear may be an issue later on are the puzzles. There are dozens of thing stickers and since you cannot carry a lot might cause some frustration. I noticed however that my first thing (and the only one that I used where it's supposed to) has a blue background in the menu and the other red. Does this mean that I'm done with it? That would help a lot.

Qurupeke

One thing though that I fear may be an issue later on are the puzzles. There are dozens of thing stickers and since you cannot carry a lot might cause some frustration. I noticed however that my first thing (and the only one that I used where it's supposed to) has a blue background in the menu and the other red. Does this mean that I'm done with it? That would help a lot.

The backgrounds are about the use of the thing. Musical instruments had a yellowish background, on beds, pillows it was pink etc. Nevertheless, I'm sure that you won't have a problem. I always carried 2-3 things only.

zroid

Banned

In my experience you'll only have puzzle-related frustration as a result of having missed a Thing which you need. This happened to me just once, but luckily it was obvious enough what the Thing should be, so I just FAQ'd the location of that particular item.

Of course if you don't have the sticker version of what you need, you'll have to go back to Decalburg and purchase and/or paperize it, which can be a hassle. One of my gripes with the game is it completely prevents you from quickly returning to the world map unless you've already found every Comet Piece in that level. This isn't aberrant practise, but you WILL have to scamper all the way back the way you came sometimes just because you don't have the needed sticker on-hand, which is a pain.

Wiz

Just finished the game, and once the credits started rolling I learned
that you were supposed to collect those hidden Luigi's???

Wish I knew that earlier. But anyway, I felt like this game could have been and was supposed to be so much more. There were times where if felt like the main quest was not even relevant and I was just going level to level handling whatever business I had. I will say though, that I did enjoy the levels as far as design goes. The battles weren't what kept me enjoying the game, instead it was seeing what the next level/world had to offer. I think through the levels is where Intelligent Systems showed most of their freedom and creativity. Sad that the story and other RPG elements were ridiculously dumbed down. I hope that this game is not a sign of what the future of the series is, but for what it was, I liked it.

Just got this for Christmas, hooray!

I understand there are some tricky parts where it may not always be clear where to go or what to do next. What's the best site to go if I get stuck?

Tuck

Lots of exploring. Don't let the level structure fool you - this game is not strictly linear. Levels have multiple paths and lots to find. World 3 in particular has you bouncing back and forth between levels. Backtracking is present.

I'll admit, I'm using a guide just to keep track of the thing stickers. Think I'm enjoying the game more due to that cause otherwise I would probably get fustrated looking for them. They can be very vauge.

zroid

Banned
clocked it last night!

I enjoyed it.. Walkthrough helped me for sure!

those Infinite jump stickers are great.. :)

I was too much of a hoarder to use them

I didn't even use one in the battle where you practically need to :\

although I would have if I'd known I would get a second one for the museum soon after

I was too much of a hoarder to use them

I didn't even use one in the battle where you practically need to :\

although I would have if I'd known I would get a second one for the museum soon after

I had two big flash ones left for Bowser. Once I got to 5th phase it was a piece of cake :)

The way the game throws you into boss battles with no clues on weaknesses is madness!

Mzo

I went into the Bowser fight, sucked at it, then came back with a game plan and crushed it. Felt great. It doesn't take long at all if you know what you're doing.

Especially the third stage,
one raccoon tail whipping the chomp back at him ends that phase in one hit

All I hear is wah wah Nintendo holds our hands too much, but they second they don't it's wah wah hold my hand.

Never looked up a single thing about this game. It was excellent.

AniHawk

just beat the game.

that was a good one. i mostly enjoyed it. it was probably as close as we'll get to a 'paper zelda.'

nice music. and it's one of the few 3ds games that i feel the 3d enhanced or wasn't a hindrance to the experience. it's probably the first one since ghost recon where i never turned it off.

gerudoman

Ugh, I'm really disliking the autosave feature everytime you go to the main map. I hate paying a lot of coins for a Thing Sticker, go to the level where I'm stuck and realize that it wasn't the one required...

So I went through all levels again to check for missing stuff and fight enemies for the flags, and I found everything except 1 thing sticker. Argh.

It's the one to the right of the Sponge in the Museum. Can someone tell me in which level it is? Not going to replay all levels, but don't want to check the exact location either.

Also a question,
Does something happen when you find Luigi 5 times? Other than him appearing in the credits, that is.

Katzii

I'm really disappointed that Club Nintendo seems to be erroring so much. I wanted to try my chances at getting a Paper Mario Sticker Book. Because I got the game today - am up to World 1-3 and am digging it thus far!

-Stranger-

I just started playing this only an hour in. It's brilliant so far.
Charming visuals and good use of 3D, the sticker system is fun.
The Paper Mario games always make me laugh as well, great writing.

Ydahs

Just got done with W1-1 and I've got to say this game is brimming with charm.

Didn't know what to expect after all the mixed reactions, but early impressions are certainly positive. Going to take it slow with this game. How long does it take to complete? 10-15 hours?

eXistor

Wow, are reviewers out of their minds or what? This game is awesome. I came in expecting to be disappointed after all the negativity (vague puzzles, chore to play, grindfest etc.) but that couldn't be further from the truth. I just got the second island and I find myself having a blast throughout.

How are the puzzles vague? Seriously I'm not seeing it. The game present fairly clear objectives and it's up the player to figure out what to use and where. I will admit that it kinda sucks that you use up that sticker if it's the wrong one, meaning a (quick and easy) trek back to town, but that's hardly an issue. Same with battles. You're main incentive is coins, which you need to restock your special stickers meaning you'll never have to grind if you just play the game the way you're supposed to. Again, it's not perfect, a bit more incentive like exp. or stat ups would be welcome, but once again, it's hardly a deal breaker.

It's an adventure game, not an rpg, that much is clear and when you accept this you'll enjoy the game a lot more. It has more in common with point and click games than rpg's, the puzzles are the best example of this.

I also love that the game doesn't really hold your hand too much, figure shit out by yourselves and really, it's not that hard to figure out. I hate that people complain that the game is too vague, this'll probably mean that the next game will hold our hands all the time because people complained about it so much.

I don't miss the story at all tbh. I still think TTYD is the better game (thinking back I remember nothing of it anyway), but so far, this is a good second place.

Oxx

What is the promo? I just bought a digital copy of the game last night.

PMSS.png

I got the email 6 days after I registered the game, so it might be a while before you know if you get one.

Got this for Christmas. Really really loving what I've played so far - theres so many parts where am like 'this fucking game!'.

Its more a puzzle game than anything else but its lots of fun. I've jumped to the desert for a bit of fun atm and enjoying things.

Hopefully it keeps up. I think this is going to be a great game for just sucking up the spare hours with. Also some of these worlds are pretty great. The Yoshi Sphinx was awesome.

Top Bottom