• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday |OT| Showers are Duckroll's fetish

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(This is a quick and dirty OP after waiting a long while. I wanted to make this a two post OP, but this is a PSP/Cellphone game so most people probably won't give a shit. ;___;

Also my first OT. Be gentle, NeoGAF!)

After 10 years, Square has decided to reheat the game series they left out in the cold. "Parasite Eve." Given this is a ten year gap, I figure I'll give some backstory for those that haven't played the games that came before this.

2us9bnt.jpg

Parasite Eve:

The Cinematic Role-playing Game
Parasite Eve |OT| The Worst Foe Lies Within The Self...
Back of the box (Not sure if "scans" of back of the box are allowed? If not I'll edit it out)

Developer: Square USA (bet you didn't know that!)
Director: Takashi Tokita
Producer: Hironobu Sakaguchi
Artist: Tetsuya Nomura (Before he became known as "Mr. Belts and Zippers" Aya Brea's design was his magnum opus)
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Platform: Sony Playstation
Release date: JP: March 29, 1998 US: September 9, 1998

Genre: Role-playing game with Survival horror

Plot:

Christmas Eve 1997. During a date with an unnamed person that "wouldn't stop pestering me," Aya Brea is at an Opera in Carnegie Hall. During the performance, Mellisa Pearce, the actress in the Opera stares out into the crowd as she starts her solo. During her solo, the actors on stage AND the crowd starts to spontaneously combust. Mass panic and confusion happens as Aya narrowly avoids being killed by a falling person on fire. As everyone else leaves (and Aya knocks her date out of the hall) Aya goes to confront the mysterious person Melissa has turned into.

One of them is a police officer. The other is possessed by an ancient evil threatening all life on Earth. The horrifying bond between them will continue until one of them dies.

Features:
-Real-time polygonal combat in a "turn based" (wait, then shoot) Japanese Role-Playing Survival Horror game.
-Aya Brea's introduction/backstory and the series' roots.
-Levels and EXP gain new magic powers in typical JRPG fashion. (Bonus: Are you an insane bad enough dude/dudette to level Aya Brea to level 99 despite the fact the game can be beaten and probably will be beaten at level 25-30?)
-Kunihiko Maeda, who will be a part of Parasite Eve "3"/The Third Birthday!
-New Game Plus (NG+/"EX Game") featuring the Chrysler Building. Yes, you, the player and Aya can climb the whole 77 (non-1:1 recreated) floors of the building/dungeon and beat harder bosses than the normal game to get a new sub-par IMO ending!
-
Sperm banks! Impregnations! "My Body Is Getting Hot!"
-Terrible translation as was the norm of the 90's!

29e3q6x.jpg

Parasite Eve 2:

The "You-got-your-Biohazard/Resident Evil-in-my-JRPG!" Action Japanese Role Playing Survival Horror game.
Back of the box

Developer: Square PDD 5 (In-house developers in Japan)
Director: Kenichi Iwao
Producer: Yusuke Hirata
Artist: Tetsuya Nomura (character designer) Fumi Nakashima (character illustration)
Composer: Naoshi Mizuta
Platform: Sony Playstation
Release date: JP December 16, 1999 EU(some countries didn't get the game, however) August 25, 2000 US September 12, 2000

Genre: Survival horror with light role-playing game elements.

Plot:
September 2000. Nearly three years have passed since the tragic loss of life during the incident in Manhattan. Since then, I've quit the force and become an NMC Hunter, based in Los Angeles. I caught the creatures as they headed west from New York. We never saw any of the mutant mitochondria that created EVE again.
The creatures' numbers were dwindling. The end of my struggle was in sight.
Until one chilly, late summer evening...

September 18th 2000. The Arkopolis Tower is being "terrorized by terrorists." Aya Brea, now an FBI agent under the division of "Mitochondrial Investigation and Suppression Team" (M.I.S.T.) is called to the tower as the "terrorists" aren't normal terrorists, they're mutant humans attacking others.

What follows leads Aya Brea to the Mojave Desert, underground laboratories with exhibits, and to a plot point that isn't totally resolved to this day!

Features:
-Kyle Madagin and "Eve" who cameo in Parasite Eve "3"/The Third Birthday!
-Biohazard controls and camera angles! (Hatersgonnahateeagle.jpg)
-REAL TIME BATTLE SYSTEM! (No more "wait, then shoot." However, Parasite Energies/Magic have a casting time and casting them in battle can make you get hit and have you have to redo the casting)
-Multiple endings! (That aren't really that different other than a few changes and characters disappearing/appearing)
-Harder modes! (Bounty, Scavenger, and for those that want true pain: Nightmare, the Bounty Enemies and low money and high buying cost of weapons in Scavenger make this a true hardcore mode)
-New Game Plus(+)!
-Multiple rewards for playthroughs!
-Squall's gunblade as a weapon!
-Semi-bad-but-more-passable translation!
-Duckroll's fetish! (SOOO NSFW) (Also making a return in Parasite Eve "3"/The Third Birthday!)

Which leads us to...

(Banner link is SOOOOO NFSW for those of you not at home)

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday.
The Third Person Shooter with light JRPG elements that was formerly a cellphone game... wonderful... Game.

Developer: Square-Enix (in-house Japanese developers) story, Hexa-Drive for engine and gameplay
Director: Hajime Tabata
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
Artist: Tetsuya Nomura (Character Design), Isamu Kamikokuryo (Illustrator)
Writer(s) Motomu Toriyama
Composer(s) Yoko Shimomura, Tsuyoshi Sekito, Mitsuto Suzuki[3]
Platform: Sony Playstation Portable
Release date: JP December 21, 2010 EU April 1, 2011 US March 29, 2011

The Third Birthday is a third-person shooter very light RPG customization elements. Instead of playing like an RPG or allowing the player to use mitochondrial powers and pause the action, the gameplay now takes place entirely in real time. Aya can no longer use her powers, but in return she now possesses a new ability called Overdive, which allows her to dive into another person's psyche and temporarily control them from a distance. The main gimmick of the game is thus changing your playable "body" between the different soldiers or civilians you find through the game in order to take advantage of their unique weapons, their positioning or simply because a Twisted managed to kill your current host. On top of that, there are also some more abilities at the disposal of the player:

Crossfire

Aya's skills to control minds allows all barricaded soldiers around to temporarily focus on one target and fire at it, weakening it faster than usual. Using Crossfire requires locking on the selected enemy without firing or reloading until the bar is filled and then pressing the shoot button.

Overdive Kill

Overdive Kill is a special attack that allows Aya to momentarily enter a Twisted's body and destroy it from within. It requires shooting the enemy until its health bar starts flashing yellow, and after a little bit more shooting a tringle button prompt will appear. Although Overdive Kill is really powerful, it also weakens Aya for a bit after it's used, so she'll be completely exposed (though dodging can instantly stop the animation). Crossfire makes it easier for an enemy to reach Overdive Kill status.

Liberation

Aya's limit break-like attack. By filling the bar and pressing both Triangle and Circle, Aya unleashes an explosive burst of power and enters an enhanced state where she can't be damaged and deals more damage while making enemies reach Overdive Kill status faster. It also leaves her exposed when it's finished.

Over Energy

While in missions, you'll often obtain Over Energy Chips (OE Chips) when overdiving to targets. These chips are DNA fragments that can be placed on a 3x3 board in order to power Aya up. When the board is complete, you can keep placing chips on top of others in order to increase their level (which is limited by Aya's own level) or obtaining brand new skills. There are different types of Chips indicated by colour, and not all abilities are equally useful (the skills that boost Liberation aren't that useful because you aren't in that state very often), just keep in mind that the red chips are negative skills, but they can be morphed into other colours too.

Weapon Customization

At the beginning of a chapter or in one of the peaceful rooms, you can buy or customize your weapons. While it's not very complex, there are several weapon categories (handguns, rifles, shotguns...) that can be leveled up in order to unlock further attachments, and you can improve your weapons in different ways, like choosing between a magazine with more ammo capacity or a magazine with more powerful bullets.

Protective Gear

This game's idea of armor. During the first playthrough you can choose between two different outfits, and after finishing the game you'll start unlocking more that cover many different fetishes, from house maid to FFXIII's Lightning. As Aya receives damage, her clothes start dematerializing, and the gear becomes weaker, so you'll be faced with the daunting decision of choosing between virtual skin or more defense.

(Thanks, Peff, for saving my ass!)

Youtube of the tutorial level showing the battle system and gameplay systems. Thank you, Domstercool!

Priz wants you to listen to the theme song: Superfly.

----

USER WAS JUNIORED FOR THIS QUICK AND DIRTY OP

So, um, yeah. This is for the PSN (GO BUY IT, YOU!) and US UMD release. Discuss the gameplay and plot (pref. spoiler tags, but I'm not going to be a stickler if you forget this.) here?

TheSeks

Rahxephon91 said:
Opening the game and my first impression is "I don't want do show my mother this manual".

:lol Given the shower scene, I'm thinking Square really wanted to overly sex-up Aya. Which is a bit of a shame as Aya is probably one of the rare few video game females that doesn't really need to be sexed up. She can take on flipping monsters that mutate from our bodies, for raptor Jesus' sake!

Peff

Yeah, not much info there :p I can post some stuff about the gameplay systems/characters (lulz) if you want.

TheSeks

Peff said:
Yeah, not much info there :p I can post some stuff about the gameplay systems/characters (lulz) if you want.

Yes, please. I really do need a quick and dirty crash course in the system as I've been on media blackout toward this game. *avatar quote goes here*

Misleading title tbh.

Which bit? The "3?" Some people are calling it "PE3" so I figured I'd throw the 3 in quotes just for their sake. The pun? Well, yeah, it's a shitty pun but it's better than the placeholder "Square is trying to be their 90's self!?" one I had before (as by now people know that'll never happen. :()

Just picked up mine this morning. The Aya Brea costume voucher for Dissidia was a nice surprise. Nice packaging and manual too. Almost done with PE 1 so I might wait till I finish that and the second one before starting this.

played a bit this morning and sadly i'll probably never finish it because of the controls.

sucks because from the bit i played it seems like a fun game.

TheSeks

Domstercool said:
If anyone wants to know how it plays I have the tutorial level on my youtube channel :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTg4IzEE7A < Episode 0

If you want any others there are some more on there.

Added. Thanks.

WickedLaharl said:
sucks because from the bit i played it seems like a fun game.

I really hope it has the stealth "second joystick/thumbstick" upgrade that some PSP games are rumored to have/get from the PSP2 (er-"NGP") hardware if they're played on that system. I doubt that whole thing is true, but it would be a nice surprise and a really good upgrade for genre's like this one.

Watched the English trailer on Squeenix's channel yesterday, and I'm pretty intrigued. I'm always a fan of melding RPG elements with other genres. Problem is, I haven't played PE 1 or 2 yet, either. >_>

Teknoman

Looks cool...but I still dont like them treating Aya as a "rookie". I guess you could say she is a rookie when dealing with this new tech, but still...looking at the end of PE1, she should be confident in her ability to do anything.

xion4360

Please dont call it "Parasite Eve 3".. even if it might as well be, its still not. Theres the chance that a proper PE3 might come in the future and calling this PE3 just confuses people.

matmanx1

Just got it home tonight and opened up the package to be greeted by Aya's bra and butt cheek showing through her clothes on the game manual. Thanks, Square!

That being said the blood red game cover is pretty awesome and I dig the art. Can't wait to dive in here in a few minutes.

Teknoman

xion4360 said:
Please dont call it "Parasite Eve 3".. even if it might as well be, its still not. Theres the chance that a proper PE3 might come in the future and calling this PE3 just confuses people.

Well it's not a side story right?

TheSeks

Electivirus said:
Watched the English trailer on Squeenix's channel yesterday, and I'm pretty intrigued. I'm always a fan of melding RPG elements with other genres. Problem is, I haven't played PE 1 or 2 yet, either. >_>

DO EEET. PE1 and 2 are probably the best games on the PSX when it comes to merging genre's and the battle systems (for the time) were really innovative.

Xion4360 said:
Theres the chance that a proper PE3 might come in the future and calling this PE3 just confuses people.

Just like people call MGS: Peace Walker "5," even though there's a rumored MGS5 coming in the world: dealwithit.gif If it's really that bothersome I'm sure Duckroll will edit the title.

MechaX

I'm reading through the reviews so far and the two common complaints seem to be the story (which I already am fully braced for, unfortunately), and the controls. Does the entire "use PSP through a PS3 and use PS3 controller" work for the PSP-2000 or just the PSP-Go?

Peff

The 3rd Birthday is a third-person shooter very light RPG customization elements. Instead of playing like an RPG or allowing the player to use mitochondrial powers and pause the action, the gameplay now takes place entirely in real time. Aya can no longer use her powers, but in return she now possesses a new ability called Overdive, which allows her to dive into another person's psyche and temporarily control them from a distance. The main gimmick of the game is thus changing your playable "body" between the different soldiers or civilians you find through the game in order to take advantage of their unique weapons, their positioning or simply because a Twisted managed to kill your current host. On top of that, there are also some more abilities at the disposal of the player:

Crossfire

Aya's skills to control minds allows all barricaded soldiers around to temporarily focus on one target and fire at it, weakening it faster than usual. Using Crossfire requires locking on the selected enemy without firing or reloading until the bar is filled and then pressing the shoot button.

Overdive Kill

Overdive Kill is a special attack that allows Aya to momentarily enter a Twisted's body and destroy it from within. It requires shooting the enemy until its health bar starts flashing yellow, and after a little bit more shooting a tringle button prompt will appear. Although Overdive Kill is really powerful, it also weakens Aya for a bit after it's used, so she'll be completely exposed (though dodging can instantly stop the animation). Crossfire makes it easier for an enemy to reach Overdive Kill status.

Liberation

Aya's limit break-like attack. By filling the bar and pressing both Triangle and Circle, Aya unleashes an explosive burst of power and enters an enhanced state where she can't be damaged and deals more damage while making enemies reach Overdive Kill status faster. It also leaves her exposed when it's finished.

Over Energy

While in missions, you'll often obtain Over Energy Chips (OE Chips) when overdiving to targets. These chips are DNA fragments that can be placed on a 3x3 board in order to power Aya up. When the board is complete, you can keep placing chips on top of others in order to increase their level (which is limited by Aya's own level) or obtaining brand new skills. There are different types of Chips indicated by colour, and not all abilities are equally useful (the skills that boost Liberation aren't that useful because you aren't in that state very often), just keep in mind that the red chips are negative skills, but they can be morphed into other colours too.

Weapon Customization

At the beginning of a chapter or in one of the peaceful rooms, you can buy or customize your weapons. While it's not very complex, there are several weapon categories (handguns, rifles, shotguns...) that can be leveled up in order to unlock further attachments, and you can improve your weapons in different ways, like choosing between a magazine with more ammo capacity or a magazine with more powerful bullets.

Protective Gear

This game's idea of armor. During the first playthrough you can choose between two different outfits, and after finishing the game you'll start unlocking more that cover many different fetishes, from house maid to FFXIII's Lightning. As Aya receives damage, her clothes start dematerializing, and the gear becomes weaker, so you'll be faced with the daunting decision of choosing between virtual skin or more defense.

xion4360

TheSeks said:
Just like people call MGS: Peace Walker "5," even though there's a rumored MGS5 coming in the world: dealwithit.gif If it's really that bothersome I'm sure Duckroll will edit the title.

Peace Walker was MGS5 before they changed the title tho, so its a little different. But for the sake of accuracy and not confusing anyone its best to stick with the real title, at least in your OP were it says Parasite Eve 3: The Third Birthday in bold.

I havent had the best impressions of this game, but my PSP is pretty much the Square Enix machine.. is this worth picking up for $10? Is it more fun than annoying

Priz

Music Video for the Superfly song featured in the game. (Not sure if the song is still in Japanese or has an English version - ala Simple & Clean by Hikaru Utada)

I haven't played Parasite Eve 1 since it's release... never got around to the second game.

Doing what I can to promote Superfly in the US... was thinking maybe with her on this game's release, maybe Square would be willing to sponsor having her perform in the US as a cross promotion for the game, but considering how little we're seeing for this here... I don't think I've seen any promotion at all for this release. Ah well...

Atolm

MechaX said:
I'm reading through the reviews so far and the two common complaints seem to be the story (which I already am fully braced for, unfortunately), and the controls. Does the entire "use PSP through a PS3 and use PS3 controller" work for the PSP-2000 or just the PSP-Go?

I think the controls are ok. The game isn't designed with two analog sticks in mind (you just lock onto enemies and shoot; no need to aim), so I don't understand the complaints regarding that

TheSeks

xion4360 said:
Peace Walker was MGS5 before they changed the title tho, so its a little different. But for the sake of accuracy and not confusing anyone its best to stick with the real title, at least in your OP were it says Parasite Eve 3: The Third Birthday in bold.

Then I'll edit and make it "3," so those that call it PE3 get thrown a bone and anals like you and the other person don't get mad. Cool?

Honestly, like I said: quick and dirty OP after waiting 10 years for a "PE3" so I'm kinda in the middle of orgasming over getting another Aya Brea game.

dragonlife29 said:
I read the OP, but...

were r my piks and logos!1!! :[

You'll get them when I'm damn good and ready for you to have them.
Tomorrow.
I gotta upload them from another PC. I'm not sure if having "back of the box" scans of the PE1/2 boxes are kosher, though?

Kung Fu Grip said:
Dude can you like...post some sexy pictures of aya and the box in the OP? It's too bare.

deal with it. I really got get ready for tomorrow but I'll be getting the pictures up as soon as I can.

Peff said:
>>Stuff<<

Thanks. I'll add that in a bit.

I only clicked the thread for aya shower scene :mad:

Check the second link of PE2 and not the first one (placeholder). ;) ;)

(Unless you mean PE"3", then someone send me a Youtube so all the pirates and people that aren't going to buy the game and only give a shit about that can get it and then post :lol in the thread and forget the game exists. :()

Does the entire "use PSP through a PS3 and use PS3 controller" work for the PSP-2000 or just the PSP-Go?

The Go only. You can connect the game to a TV and blow it up with 2000/3000/Go's though.

After playing MGS5/PW, I'm not really complaining about the controls. They "feel" better than that outing. I still don't like using the camera on D-pad, though. :/

As it is, I just played a little of the tutorial and love the battle system already. It's really interesting. As for the story, I'm not sure I'm feeling the whole
Aya isn't using her mito powers and is just soul-diving with a machine to another person
. Hopefully that gets better after waiting 10 years for this. >:|

fernoca

MechaX said:
Does the entire "use PSP through a PS3 and use PS3 controller" work for the PSP-2000 or just the PSP-Go?
As far as I know, there's no such thing of "use PSP through a PS3".
What the Go allows (because of the included bluetooth), is to sync a Dual Shock 3 to it and play the game with the Dual Shock. If you add the component cables, to can play the game on your TV with a Dual Shock.

It doesn't change the controller setup or anything. You can't use the second analog stick or other buttons. Resistance on PSP, has an option that let you play wit ha PS3 controller and had a setup designed around it, but that's the only one and i think it even required the PS3 Resistance 2 game to allow it.

Though that's the official way, there are some other alternatives to sync controllers and stuff.

By the way, game's 1.16GB on PSN.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Obviously the people that have played it know better, but since PE 2 was such a different game from PE 1 I dont think the "This is not a proper PE game" argument holds much water, theres only been 2 games so far, each having very little in common with the other.

Semantics aside, I'll be getting this from PSN soon.

I watched a couple playthrough videos and the game looks... not good. I'm a huge PE fan, so this is pretty disappointing. Where's all the psychic powers and the horror theme? It just seems like another gimmicky half-assed portable game like Crisis Core. It even uses the same font.

BadWolf

To me this is PE3 precisely because it is so different to the other two, just like PE2 was way different than PE1 (which is why I simply couldn't get into it after absolutely loving PE1).

Anyhoots, T3B is an amazing game. Visually its simply splendid, the setting is great as well as the animation for the lead and everyone else. The music is excellent, again, expected.

The gameplay is what I wasn't sure about but came away floored. Aya handles extremely well with all the essentials and then some (like being able to cancel animations into evade, being able to do a triple evade which results in two normal evades and a third very long one etc). The dive system was implemented surprisingly well imo, it gives that much needed breathe of fresh air that such games usually lack. The mechanic can really make you feel like you are at a billion places at once and has been used to very good effect (like one minute your fighting big baddies hoping to stay alive and the next you are diving into a helicopter pilot and pumping them full of missiles).

The OE board again adds to the freshness of the experience making you feel like a lot of stuff is happening at once, I like this feeling personally.

Difficulty-wise, on normal, I would rate this game normal to easy. Nothing took more than a few retries and I don't recall anything being frustrating. Felt just right.

The story, would I give it any awards? Nope. Would I hate on it? Nope. These days the vast majority of the stories are predictable and/or butt ugly. The one is PE3 is very unpredictable and all the cut scenes are top freaking notch looking, which is good enough for me.

As for Aya not acting like Aya, just play the game and you will find out why.

TheSeks

Peff said:

:( ;_____;

God's Beard said:
At least the first two games shared the same aesthetic.

Am I disappointed that they aren't using her normal powers? Yeah. But so far the diving mechanic makes for interesting battles. You can actually die in this game if you aren't careful and managing the people you're diving into.

So why do people even call this a Parasite Eve game if the only thing in common with the old games is the main character? Don't give me "the old games were this different too!", because that's bullshit. All they really changed was the battle system, this game doesn't seem to have any connection at all.

It's like playing Chocobo Racing because I think Final fantasy is fun.

I bought it and was able to just squeeze in enough time to finish the beginning chapter. I love the controls, nothing too complicated and my fingers aren't twisted like most on the PSP.

And yes, the manual belongs in my Father's Playboy stack.

fernoca

God's Beard said:
So why do people even call this a Parasite Eve game if the only thing in common with the old games is the main character? Don't give me "the old games were this different too!", because that's bullshit. All they really changed was the battle system, this game doesn't seem to have any connection at all.
Well, there are some connections in the form of characters and other small things.

Then again, see Resident Evil 4. The game barely had any connection to the previous games, except the name and the main character (and a few that cameo through it); yet it was officially called Resident Evil 4.

3rd Birthday has some more connections, so of course people like to call it Parasite Eve.

TheSeks

God's Beard said:

-Aya
-Kyle (PE2)
-Madea (PE1)
-Eve (PE2)

Are all making it "Parasite Eve" related. I said it in the Japanese OT, I'll say it here. It's "Parasite Eve: Gaiden." It may not be the true "3" people are looking for, but it's off-hand related to the series.

Also uploading images. The banners aren't all the same and it's not the prettiest girl at the prom, but it'll get the job done for the whiners.

(Note: That means anyone with good graphic program experience can do banners and I'll gladly upload them. I had Photoshop but lost my copy somewhere and Gimp is a pain in the ass to use to where I don't bother with it)

Edit: And... done. Not sure if an OST scan/image is allowed, if not I'll remove it. But there you go. Images for the whiners. Now I'm sure they'll find something else to whine about. :(

Top Bottom