• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday |OT| Showers are Duckroll's fetish

Apath

fernoca said:
Yep, exactly like tthat. Some cables were really long for that reason too. :p
Though sucked for TVs (like mine) that had every output on the back.
Wow, now whenever I look at my list of games and lament the fact that Birth By Sleep will never be one of them, I'll reflect on all the times I used a DualShock 3 with my Go and was able to play it on a TV comfortably.

What are the chances of this game going on sale within the year? $30 seems like a nice price, but I'll kick myself if it goes on sale and I'm still digging through my backlog.

duckroll

fernoca said:
Really ..really far to the side-story. :p

I would say storywise... T3B to PE is more like the first Mission Impossible movie to the Mission Impossible TV series. A total slap in the face to anyone invested in the original characters, and essentially a reboot sequel that trashes everything anyone liked about the original series. :p

fernoca

Kenak said:
Wow, now whenever I look at my list of games and lament the fact that Birth By Sleep will never be one of them, I'll reflect on all the times I used a DualShock 3 with my Go and was able to play it on a TV comfortably.

What are the chances of this game going on sale within the year? $30 seems like a nice price, but I'll kick myself if it goes on sale and I'm still digging through my backlog.
Well, it's PSN. They'll probably do a sale close to the NGP release..probably as in 1% chances.
Though knowing PSN sales, the game price will go down when the retail price goes down.

duckroll said:
I would say storywise... T3B to PE is more like the first Mission Impossible movie to the Mission Impossible TV series. A total slap in the face to anyone invested in the original characters, and essentially a reboot sequel that trashes everything anyone liked about the original series. :p
hahaha.
Though is kinda nice.
Even when it sometimes feels as if Square Enix was like "Here's a game with Aya so, shut up about 'Where's my PE3 ?'" during development.

Peff

duckroll said:
I feel like no one here has finished the game, aside from me...

Well, it's tough talking about it in the open without giving the "twist" away to anybody paying attention anyways. That's not even the worst part of the ending though, and I totally agree that any PE will not want a direct sequel to T3B.

duckroll

rainking187 said:
Does the US version do the SE Members Stamps to unlock stuff, or how is it handled?

Probably not. They removed MogWeb from Dissidia012, so I see no reason why they would leave the online stuff in an even more insignificant title.

fernoca

Plus, NTSC peasants like me just got the game a few hours ago on PSN. :p

And I've been slow playing games lately too. I get reminded that I have Killzone 3, when I see the thread in here...then think about playing it...then forget ..then..see the Yakuza 4 thread.... remember I have Yakuza 4 too...and proceed to reply across any Mortal Kombat thread I see. :p

Ellis Kim

Banned
ViralMarketingDrone said:
Ugh... why do they do this? Why did japan move from strong female leads to battered housewives?
They...didn't?

I'll pick this up after E3. I'm holding out for some sort of news on what Sony's plans with NGP and latter-life PSP games are.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
I feel like no one here has finished the game, aside from me...

I'm going to, even if the story jumps off a cliff and makes me </wrists> over the 10 year wait for a new "Parasite Eve" game.

Finished the chapter 1 boss. Holy crap dodging that thing is hard. Died about 4-5 times against it until I got into the rhythm of Overdive "kill" damaging it. Stupid that you have to build up
Liberation powers
to even get the ability to dent it. And then you have to spread out to avoid the near death rush it does.

Anyway: Grenades are your friend there. Oh and using the ability to dent it/get it out of it's normal mode for heavy damage as well.

Level 6. Chapter 2. Going to start it in a little bit. Need to check some of the stuff I downloaded off PSN for the PS3 last night.

Also my Aya is nearly nude. :lol Is there some way to get her default outfit fully back or am I going to have to go through the whole game with a buttnaked Aya?

Peff said:
and I totally agree that any PE will not want a direct sequel to T3B.

The thing is, they don't have the "PE" title. They can use Mito powers, but probably can't call it Mito powers. I think this is Square's peace-offering to those of us (AKA: ME!) that were going "WHERE THE HELL IS MY PARASITE EVE 3, SQUARE!? YOU SAID THERE WAS A PARASITE EVE 3 IN PARASITE EVE 2, SQUARE!"

Expect more Overdiving if a "Parasite Eve 4" actually comes out. I doubt they'll go back to the base/normal Aya powers. :( :/

Atolm

TheSeks said:
Also my Aya is nearly nude. :lol Is there some way to get her default outfit fully back or am I going to have to go through the whole game with a buttnaked Aya?

In those safe rooms with soldiers sitting around, you can restock ammunition and repair Aya's clothes.

Peff

TheSeks said:

Yep, in the break rooms or the headquarters enter the computer, select the same outfit you're wearing and a prompt to fix it for some BP will come up.

The thing is, they don't have the "PE" title. They can use Mito powers, but probably can't call it Mito powers. I think this is Square's peace-offering to those of us (AKA: ME!) that were going "WHERE THE HELL IS MY PARASITE EVE 3, SQUARE!? YOU SAID THERE WAS A PARASITE EVE 3 IN PARASITE EVE 2, SQUARE!"

Expect more Overdiving if a "Parasite Eve 4" actually comes out. I doubt they'll go back to the base/normal Aya powers. :( :/

Didn't mean gameplay wise!

TheSeks

Square Triangle said:
I need to figure out the DNA fusion thing better. I'm a little confused on it.

Place icons on the board. If there is an icon already on the board where that "icon" would go, they'll fuse like the Demon Summoning System/whatever they call it in Shin Megami Tensai. And just like SMT, you can reload the fusion to get a outcome you want.

Peff said:
>>Repair at the HQ but at the cost of BP<<

Oh, so I can forgo upgrades to guns at the cost of giving Aya some modesty. WTF Square. I should just run Aya buttnaked through a NYC winter. :|

Peff

As far as I remember it's actually pretty cheap (200 BP? give or take) so thankfully there's no need to fight tentacle monsters while nearly naked!

Picked it up at Best Buy around lunchtime. Been following the game and general reactions but avoiding spoilers, just wasn't sure I'd pick it up immediately on release here. But Parasite Eve 1 and especially Parasite Eve 2 have long been favorites of mine, so supporting this up front.

Looking forward to starting it up soon and/or over the weekend.

Hey Square, I really hate your site. I tried logging in for the first time to enter the rewards voucher and it won't let me. Mind you I received the Square Enix iPod Touch last season, so would starting a new account make any difference?

Yikes, need help,
how do I beat the chapter 6 boss? The only time I can damage it is in that limit break type mode. What's my strategy supposed to be here?

How long is this game?

Gamespot says it's 5 hours while IGN said it was about a dozen. And I just read a above post that says it was beaten in 33 hours!

Does game length really depend on the difficulty?

TheSeks

Yeah, the length is dependent on difficulty and what you really do.

How do you get past the
stinkers
in chapter 2? I snipe all of them but they never stop coming to where I can progress. :/

I really like it, I think I just had first boss battle and it was really fun, but...I have no idea what's up with the DNA board. Anyone can summarize how to use this stuff? I know you put skills in slots, and I guess if put same skills on top of each other they will level, correct? Anything else?

Domstercool

TheSeks said:
Yeah, the length is dependent on difficulty and what you really do.

How do you get past the
stinkers
in chapter 2? I snipe all of them but they never stop coming to where I can progress. :/

There are ones even higher up in the sky. Those ones look a bit darker :)

TheSeks

Castor Krieg said:
I really like it, I think I just had first boss battle and it was really fun, but...I have no idea what's up with the DNA board. Anyone can summarize how to use this stuff? I know you put skills in slots, and I guess if put same skills on top of each other they will level, correct? Anything else?

That's mostly it. But you have to watch out as if you put a different color/skill in that same slot there is a chance it'll over take it.

You can also "link" same color slots together to level them both up.

I've got a ten-hour flight to Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon... contemplating picking this up even though I've still got Birth by Sleep to finish.

BadWolf

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yikes, need help,
how do I beat the chapter 6 boss? The only time I can damage it is in that limit break type mode. What's my strategy supposed to be here?

Which one specifically?
there were a bunch of boss battles towards the end

Atolm

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yikes, need help,

Which boss? You mean
The Queen? You do very little damage to the Queen, just be patient.

If you mean Hyde, you get an infinite ammo weapon for the last part of the battle, and only that weapon will damage him

Btw game took me 12h to complete, with normal difficulty.

AwShucks

2.5 hours into the game and loving the gameplay. The story hasn't really picked up that much, which is strange considering it's supposedly only 6-8 hours long, or stretchable to like 10 hours. But for what story has been there so far it isn't horrible. I read all the info in the files, which most people probably won't do, so I think I have a better grasp of what's going on than I would have had I not read those.

Sure I miss magic and items, but the gameplay has been changed enough that they would probably feel out of place. I like the new things like Overdive, Crossfire, the OE board and this games version of Liberation. And still being able to customize weapons is good, even if it is pretty straightforward.

I'll check back in when I beat the game.

Spiegel

Yeah, the gameplay is seriously awesome and I can see myself replaying the game just after finishing it. I think I'm nearly the end (9:30 hours).
Story is ridiculous but at least the cutscenes are pretty.

FF Type-0 should be good considering Toriyama is not writing the scenario and Tabata has proven himself as a great director. Can't wait to play it.

BadWolf said:
Which one specifically?
there were a bunch of boss battles towards the end
I guess I meant the
Episode 1, Chapter 6,
boss.

But I just beat it. Yeesh, only was awarded with a "D" rank for Act 1. Terrible.

What does replaying previous chapters give? I mean, if I play chapter by chapter, completing bonus objectives, will the exp/bp gained increase? Or should I just first finish the game on Normal and don't worry about other things?

TheSeks

Doing the bonus objectives gives you slightly more BP, but so far I haven't really needed it. I just saved
Cray
in Chapter 2 and am taking a little break. Like I said, I don't feel the game is built for handhelds given the huge gaps between savepoints. So yeah, I'm kinda burned out at the moment. I'll dive back into the game in a little bit.

Pooya

you don't need to beat the game 30 times it seems :D from the comments:

Actually, they changed it for NA according to the guide.

To get Lightning’s outfit in The 3rd Birthday US version, you have to achieve a score of 50% or more on the bonus missions on hard or higher difficulty. We don’t have to beat the game 30 times like with the Japanese.

kiryogi

Banned
miladesn said:
you don't need to beat the game 30 times it seems :D from the comments:

Actually, they changed it for NA according to the guide.

To get Lightning’s outfit in The 3rd Birthday US version, you have to achieve a score of 50% or more on the bonus missions on hard or higher difficulty. We don’t have to beat the game 30 times like with the Japanese.

We also had the stamp option :D

matmanx1

Hey I'm enjoying the gameplay and production values if nothing else. For a shooter on the PSP it's about as good as you can get and I'm definitely digging the whol sci-fi, horror, action rpg hybrid they have going on.

I can totally pretend that this is some sort of side story/ "what if" scenario that just happens to star Aya and isn't really canon to the Parasite Eve universe with the story and just enjoy the game for what it is. So far, I'm very satisfied.

I like the game and it's pretty cool. But these controls, ugh. SCE Bend did an amazing job making third-person shooters work on the PSP with Resistance Retribution and Syphon Filter. So did Kojima with MGS Peace Walker.

So it's mind-boggling that Square-Enix didn't put in a option to move the camera with the face-buttons.

I dig the game and want to play through it, but I can already tell that it's going to be insanely frustrating. I'm playing it on normal but if it gets too crazy, I'm not ashamed to put it on easy!

Arklite

Started it up. Liking it. The music is good, the visuals are nice, the cutscenes look great, the gameplay is fun, but the camera can be a pain.

I'm actually liking the feeling of helplessness the story has. She is sending her consciousness through several bodies, seeing death everywhere, and knowing she's sacrificing lives left and right as she ditches their useless husks. She looks and sounds tired the entire time. I think the game does a good job trying to portray this, especially running from the reapers early on.

Top Bottom