• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday |OT| Showers are Duckroll's fetish

Dead

well not really...yet
Not sure Im liking this :\

So far its just a repetitive dungeon crawler, and square went too far with just how tasteless the game is.

In all honesty I dont even remember how Aya was portrayed in the original 2 games, but Im not digging the completely helpless, all dialogue consists of "unh, ah, eh" shtick either.

daffy

Banned
xion4360 said:
Theres the chance that a proper PE3 might come in the future
:/

Can anyone that's played both Crisis Core and Parasite Eve 3 tell me which one is better? If there is anyone...

Oh oh and nice OP :D Subscribed of course ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, it's pretty much a third person dungeon crawler on a third person shooter engine so far. :/

That said, I'm really digging the Overdive (I keep reading it as "Overdrive" though, why?) system. It's been used in Chapter 1 in interesting ways.
(YOU CAN'T FIGHT THIS TWISTED! OVERDIVE INTO A DUDE THAT ISN'T LOCKED AND MOVE/RUN RUN RUN)
. I still haven't come to grips with it and preventing people from dying (not my fault, it seems the monsters will target them and the AI won't run/dodge), but it's a neat gimmick.

Do I miss PE1/2 Mito powers? Hell yes. Would I want them with this Overdive system? Hell yes. Combining the two into a Parasite Eve "4" would be REALLY interesting to see, though probably would make the game REALLY easy to play.

So far I've been updating the two default guns and the given revolver from the tutorial with Overdive Kill bullets and power upgrades with accuracy buffs. Seem to have done me well so far, but Chapter 1 is LOOOOONG. This game isn't built for handheld "pick up and play" I feel. There is checkpoints/save points in the middle of the mission, but they're very far (IMO) between.

The story so far isn't too bad. But I'm not sure how "plausible" the
time-travel
is. Yes, yes, mitochondria taking over peoples bodies isn't realistic either, but it's in the "realm of reality"/"suspension of disbelief."
Going back in time to change the future
just balks at my SoD. Still though, the body diving technology is neat to see in action.

Also the graphics are pretty good. I expected so from Hexa-Drive after playing PSP1/Phantasy Star Portable and the demo for PSP2/Phan Star Port 2, but the graphics aren't as grainy as MGS5/Peace Walker and PSP1. So that's good. There is bits where it's grainy/dithering but they're very rare (so far).

The cutscenes are really good, however. Pretty top-notch Square CGI as expected.

I'm a mixed bag. For the most part I'm enjoying it, but I do kinda wish it was more "Parasite Eve 3" than it really is.

Square Triangle said:
When this released in Japan, what was the general reception of it?

JPNGAF was kinda mixed like us USGAF. I dunno about the Japanese themselves.

Crisis Core/PE3

I haven't played CC so I can't tell you. But apparently the developers of that (CC) were part of the engine or gameplay design here.

TheSeks

Arklite said:
Well damn, I was leaning towards the PSN release, but all this manual talk is making me want the case too.

BUY BOTH!
So I can get a Parasite Eve 4. :(
IIRC The manual is included with the PSN release, isn't it?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As always I have to ask if the American version has inside cover art (Canadian versions never do, so I sometimes get the US version).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
Sweet thx. Misery loves company. Won't bother importing.

It looks like Square Enix is done with inside cover art on PSP (like most companies).. At least for non-flagship titles..

fernoca said:
Well, there are some connections in the form of characters and other small things.

Then again, see Resident Evil 4. The game barely had any connection to the previous games, except the name and the main character (and a few that cameo through it); yet it was officially called Resident Evil 4.

3rd Birthday has some more connections, so of course people like to call it Parasite Eve.

You know the only reason it was called Parasite Eve in the first place was because of the whole mutating Mitochondria thing, right?

RE4 was a resident evil game with a camera angle change. This is a throwaway marketing gimmick, a by-the-numbers, pandering waste of time and money.

Everything I've seen of this game being played looks terrible. Disinterested voice acting, repetitive gameplay, uninspired design choices and a complete thematic departure from the only things that made Parasite Eve what it was. They just took a bunch of characters people recognized and dropped them into a shitty cellphone game. It's shovelware trying to pretend it's a real game.

anaron

God's Beard said:
You know the only reason it was called Parasite Eve in the first place was because of the whole mutating Mitochondria thing, right?

RE4 was a resident evil game with a camera angle change. This is a throwaway marketing gimmick, a by-the-numbers, pandering waste of time and money.

Everything I've seen of this game being played looks terrible. Disinterested voice acting, repetitive gameplay, uninspired design choices and a complete thematic departure from the only things that made Parasite Eve what it was. They just took a bunch of characters people recognized and dropped them into a shitty cellphone game. It's shovelware trying to pretend it's a real game.
Pretty much. It may as well have been a new IP but S-E being S-E , refuse to establish a new game series and instead opt in tarnishing previous ones.

Game is pretty damn fun so far. I also like the story and the crazy ass timeline it has. What does it have to do with Parasite Eve zlich, but it's fun and looks like it has a ton of features to customize and tinker with.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
Also the graphics are pretty good. I expected so from Hexa-Drive after playing PSP1/Phantasy Star Portable and the demo for PSP2/Phan Star Port 2, but the graphics aren't as grainy as MGS5/Peace Walker and PSP1. So that's good. There is bits where it's grainy/dithering but they're very rare (so far).

Huh? Alfa System makes the Phantasy Star Portable games. Hexadrive made Rez HD.

TheSeks

duckroll said:
What the FUCK is with the thread title. I'm not laughing...

You know you love it. ;)

Alfa System makes the Phantasy Star Portable games. Hexadrive made Rez HD.

Wait, what? Hexa-drive was part of PSP1 and 2. I'm sure of it, man.

Edit: Okay, maybe not. Weird, I could swear they were a part of PSP's development. At least partially.

Apath

fernoca said:
As far as I know, there's no such thing of "use PSP through a PS3".
What the Go allows (because of the included bluetooth), is to sync a Dual Shock 3 to it and play the game with the Dual Shock. If you add the component cables, to can play the game on your TV with a Dual Shock.

~snip~
Holy shit, the Go is the only PSP that has bluetooth? I couldn't imagine not being able to use my DualShock 3 with it. How would you play a regular PSP with video out on a TV? Hold the PSP and look at the screen..?

Dartastic

Yo Square, this is a game of yours that I actually want to play. I don't have a PSP though and I don't plan on getting one, so if you could port this ish to the 3DS I'd buy the fuck out of it, okay?

TheSeks

duckroll said:
No, I'm getting very annoyed, and something will happen soon. Serious.

Then change it to some lame pun like all the other OT's. :(

Kenak said:
Holy shit, the Go is the only PSP that has bluetooth? I couldn't imagine not being able to use my DualShock 3 with it. How would you play a regular PSP with video out on a TV? Hold the PSP and look at the screen..?

USB to component cables, IIRC.

Dartastic said:
>>Port begging<<

See you in a month, man. Let this be a lesson to others that want this on something that isn't the PSP: Don't bother mentioning it in here, we can't care.

Dartastic said:
Yo Square, this is a game of yours that I actually want to play. I don't have a PSP though and I don't plan on getting one, so if you could port this ish to the 3DS I'd buy the fuck out of it, okay?

Port begging in a thread with an active mod, good idea friend!

Also is there a horror aspect in this game? I'm a big scaredy cat, but the mild horror in PE1 is something i enjoyed. It brings a different level of tension than im used to.

edit: that was quick, also beaten.

duckroll

Onion_Relish said:
Also is there a horror aspect in this game? I'm a big scaredy cat, but the mild horror in PE1 is something i enjoyed. It brings a different level of tension than im used to.

No, there isn't much (any?) actual horror in the game. It's more like a B-grade action horror sort of thing where it's really violent, there's weird shit as enemies, but there's no real suspense or scares - just a half naked woman being attacked by "horrifying" monsters and tons of gore in the background. :)

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
You don't understand, when I get angry, I start to turn green.

At least the thread title somewhat delivered. There were no showers or duckroll to be found in the thread before you came in.

TheSeks

Onion_Relish said:

Outside of monsters and attacking from them? No, not really. It's pretty straight up action so far.

duckroll said:
You don't understand, when I get angry, I start to turn green.

I'm so going to be banned for bringing your "interested in this for..." up, aren't I? :(

TheSeks

duckroll said:
Well, you got someone banned anyway!

Dodged a bullet, for now! How many overdives do I have to do to defeat Duckroll-Mod!?

Edit: Man, just started to play with the DNA board thingy. Pretty cool. It's kinda like SMT demon fusing. But I don't like losing leveled up abilities (like the power up bullets after an Overdive Kill) if you get a 3 hori/verti slotted OE. :/

Vamphuntr

If I buy the PSN version do I get the dissidia costume anyway since it's supposed to be a voucher in the retail version?

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
If I buy the PSN version do I get the dissidia costume anyway since it's supposed to be a voucher in the retail version?

No.

TheSeks said:
Edit: Man, just started to play with the DNA board thingy. Pretty cool. It's kinda like SMT demon fusing. But I don't like losing leveled up abilities (like the power up bullets after an Overdive Kill) if you get a 3 hori/verti slotted OE. :/

You don't have to lose anything. You can keep retrying until you get the configuration you want. But the higher the levels get, the more random the variables are, so it might take forever to retry until you get the optimal result.

TheSeks

duckroll said:

I'm curious if that voucher can be voided/worked around with a CWCheat code to unlock it. Wouldn't be hard if you just update your firmware and get a HEN with CWCheat for it.

You don't have to lose anything. You can keep retrying until you get the configuration you want. But the higher the levels get, the more random the variables are, so it might take forever to retry until you get the optimal result.

Ah, right. So it really is similar to the SMT demon fusing system. Neat. I have a bunch of random red/green/orange bits for the board already but the board is pretty small (about 9 slots?) and I have a level 2 bullet powered up skill right now. I just defeated the boss that needed
to be shot in the back after rushing past it to kill the net blocking the stairs to get up there
in chapter 1. Hopefully it makes me die less against bosses, as so far I'm coming to grips with evasion/placing the army where I need them.

//
I totally expect to be banned by the time I wake up now. :(

duckroll

TheSeks said:
I'm curious if that voucher can be voided/worked around with a CWCheat code to unlock it. Wouldn't be hard if you just update your firmware and get a HEN with CWCheat for it.

Huh? He's talking about a Dissidia costume. It has nothing to do with T3B itself.

TheSeks

duckroll said:
Huh? He's talking about a Dissidia costume. It has nothing to do with T3B itself.

Nonono, I know. I'm curious if using CWCheat on Dissidia would make buying the DD version of T3B not giving a voucher void. EG: You can unlock the Aya costume for Lightning in Dissidia through CWCheat instead of having to bend over backwards to get a voucher when you want T3B to have NGP backwards comp.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
Nonono, I know. I'm curious if using CWCheat on Dissidia would make buying the DD version of T3B not giving a voucher void. EG: You can unlock the Aya costume for Lightning in Dissidia through CWCheat instead of having to bend over backwards to get a voucher when you want T3B to have NGP backwards comp.

The DLC costumes are all real DLC. The data does not exist in the normal game. They're like 4 meg each.

TheSeks

duckroll said:
The DLC costumes are all real DLC. The data does not exist in the normal game. They're like 4 meg each.

Oh...

That sucks. :/ WTF Square and Sony. You'd think they'd throw DD content owners a bone instead of throwing them under the bus. But I guess Square wants that full $60 for having both versions (DD/UMD) of a game now for the bonuses!

/Okay, totally going to bed now.
//I expect a ban and a title insulting me by the time I get back. Make it good Ducky. :(

Apath

TheSeks said:
Oh...

That sucks. :/ WTF Square and Sony. You'd think they'd throw DD content owners a bone instead of throwing them under the bus. But I guess Square wants that full $60 for having both versions (DD/UMD) of a game now for the bonuses!

/Okay, totally going to bed now.
//I expect a ban and a title insulting me by the time I get back. Make it good Ducky. :(
I'm not sure about $60, but I'd pay $40-50 for a physical DD combo-pack like a lot of movies are doing these days.

Bought and played through the Japanese at the start of the year and really enjoyed it. Hopefully the US/EU versions sell at least a little decently. I'm not optimistic though :/

Dead

well not really...yet
ViralMarketingDrone said:
I've heard they have given this the OTHER M treatment by completely changing up Aya's personality to make her more meek and shy. Is this true?
Meek and Shy is completely accurate, if not a flatout doormat, at least as far as Ive played

fernoca

God's Beard said:

Well, you asked why some people call it "PE3", and I said the possible reason ,not the actual reason. :p

The official name is not Parasite Eve, so there's no marketing gimmick or anything. There are characters, teases, connections; is more like a side-story than a direct sequel.

The game's good too. Not for everyone, not the "sequel" many would've wanted though.

Kenak said:
Yep, exactly like tthat. Some cables were really long for that reason too. :p
Though sucked for TVs (like mine) that had every output on the back.

Top Bottom