• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

Ah the joys of having boys. If you are going to leave him exposed for more than a moment put a wipe on his penis. It seems there is a reflex when air is exposed to their genitals they take it as a signal to start peeing.

Yes! Placing a wipe over the exposed penis does the trick. Good lord it's a lot harder to clean a boy after they poop...particularly their ball sack.

They both made it through ok! He's 6 pounds 15 ounces and 20 inches long. Red hair just like pops.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Wreav

Banned
Son turned 3 last week. Amazing what a strong willed, independent person he's already becoming. Arguing with toddler logic is a special kind of fun that I'll soon miss.

There was a fun segment on Idle Thumbs where one of the host's mother gave him a diary she kept during his childhood of his favorite sayings/phrases and general attitude. I'll be doing this soon too because this segment was just too good.

https://youtu.be/UaoROxVn5yU?t=3570 53:40 mark

Everything will be fine. Emergency c-section was something my wife had to go through back in November with the twins due to preecclampsia and it went smoothly.

Yeah, we had one with my first too.

It feels scary as shit at the time, but like they told me: they do this stuff all day long, every day.

mrpookles

Ah the joys of having boys. If you are going to leave him exposed for more than a moment put a wipe on his penis. It seems there is a reflex when air is exposed to their genitals they take it as a signal to start peeing.

Definitely! It was my first week back at work, so I blame being out of the rhythm I was in on paternity leave.

I haven't done too badly with pee so far (5 weeks old), but my wife is convinced he takes aim at her when he lets rip.

So mastitis hurts like a bitch. -___-
I feel like a I've been hit by a truck.

Ugh, so sorry you have to deal with that. I was both lucky and unlucky in a way. I never got mastitis, but I had clogged ducts, latching issues, and I never produced enough for both of my children. Apparently I have shitty breasts that just can't produce enough no matter what. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but I found that out about a month ago, so I didn't feel like as much of a total failure as a mom like I did during my first go round. I will admit I was excited that my son was actually latching only to find out I'd never be able to give him all he'd need.

Has anyone else had to deal with their infant having a tongue or lip tie? I had concerns about my 7 week old, and I brought it up to my pediatrician, but he quickly dismissed me because my son's tongue could stick out. I did more research and decided to get a second opinion from an ENT. Turns out my poor little man had a tongue AND lip tie. Hopefully he'll start taking his bottle a little easier soon.

Ours had to have both a tongue and lip tie treated. They are short procedures, a few seconds each. There is not much blood. If you can, have them done by laser.

Unfortunately, the ENT on my insurance didn't offer it by laser. He had both snipped yesterday, and now he's been drooling a lot this afternoon. I hope that's nothing to worry about.

Well Day 1 down, that was different...lol. Pete wouldn't sleep in his crib so he slept on my chest all night. My wife is recovering from the c sec so I have to do everything but breastfeed. I'm trying to give her as much attention as possible.

Well Day 1 down, that was different...lol. Pete wouldn't sleep in his crib so he slept on my chest all night. My wife is recovering from the c sec so I have to do everything but breastfeed. I'm trying to give her as much attention as possible.

Yeah pretty much. I'm so glad I took a week 'vacation' to stay home. That first week was a blur and nights/days were just an illusion.

Ayumi

I actually heard it's harder with a girl since it can end up inside.
It can and it will, that's why you always gotta wipe inside too even when she only peed.
I kept letting our daughter nap on top of me, so now she refuses to nap in her crib when we are home.

Outside is fine though, she sleeps well in the stroller, but sometimes she prefers to sleep in the carrier.

But I don't mind her sleeping on my chest, I'm usually tired too and end up falling asleep.

I kept letting our daughter nap on top of me, so now she refuses to nap in her crib when we are home.

Outside is fine though, she sleeps well in the stroller, but sometimes she prefers to sleep in the carrier.

But I don't mind her sleeping on my chest, I'm usually tired too and end up falling asleep.
I am concerned he won't be able to sleep in the crib but I figured I'd cut him some slack as its his 1st day alive :).

Ayumi

I am concerned he won't be able to sleep in the crib but I figured I'd cut him some slack as its his 1st day alive :).
It usually takes a lot for newborns to sleep alone in a big crib since they just got out of a very comfy tummy. :3

We used a baby nest, and then swaddled her inside there. If seem to have worked. We stopped swaddling at 3 months, and removed the nest a few weeks after.

But swaddling is very good though, as long as you buy one in the right age range (ours says to stop when she can roll).

Wish I'd found this thread earlier, everyone seems very supportive! I have a 5 month old daughter and she has taken over our lives in the best possible way. A lot of what others posted has happened to us, and we are in very similar situations to a lot of you so it's nice to see things being normalised.

Our daughter has done many things, one of her biggest successes is in beating the sleep right out of us (for a variety of reasons, and through a variety of highly effective methods...like an insane military commander hell bent on nothing but keeping us awake). Any time a pattern emerges she decides to mix things up again...BUT the reality is that's what babies do, and they don't do it by choice. You also get what you get in terms of health, sleeping, feeding, temperament etc. and there are others much worse off out there. Acceptance is a wonderful thing too, so probably best not to compare yourselves to others, or worse still wish for a different baby that sleeps better or feeds better. As for the sleep deprivation it is only for now (he says naively), the hours may be long but the months are short.

Day time naps for adults, ie napping when baby naps, are one of lifes simple pleasures provided you can get them.

Icefire1424

I read somewhere (probably on Cracked) that infants and young toddlers basically utilize sleep deprivation of their parents as a survival mechanism. Essentially, after months, and months, and months of not allowing either parent to sleep, by the time that one time they sleep through the entire night, both parents are so grateful for the rest that they find they love their little one unconditionally. Sortof like how Stockholm syndrome works.

Also, the constant waking prevents parents from engaging in sexytime, meaning more attention is placed on the child preventing the parents from getting it on. Eliminating the competition, as it were.

The article was satire, sure, but I've got to acknowledge the validity of some of those thoughts.

First night home from the hospital since we went in Thursday night for my wife's induction. It's been an interesting couple days. Feels great to sleep in an actual bed...lol.

zbarron

First night home from the hospital since we went in Thursday night for my wife's induction. It's been an interesting couple days. Feels great to sleep in an actual bed...lol.

It all feels surreal, I'm sure. Congratulations.

My wife had her first day back at work today since the baby was born, so I had my first day as a stay at home dad of two kids. I could barely get anything accomplished since Nick only slept for 15 minutes at a time when I put him in his bassinet but for two and a half hours if he was on my chest. Any tips from anyone? I'd like to be more productive and less of a bed. I'll probably pick up a Boba Wrap in the next few days so he can be close to me and I can still have two free hands to get stuff done. Anyone here use it, the Moby Wrap or any other baby carrier? He's probably about 9-10 lbs and a little over two weeks old.

Guys the 3rd one is a game changer. they outnumber us now.

I have an 8 year old girl, 2.5 year old boy and 2 week old girl.

My daughter luckily is trying to be a good big sister, my son is a wild man. I have to be with him all the time, he has energy to spare. I am bonding with him quite a bit which is amazing but at 35 I am feeling my age.

Babies are the best I have realized I didn't prioritize work life balance like I should have with my eldest daughter. Will have to make amends now.

CatBert

Neo Member
It all feels surreal, I'm sure. Congratulations.

My wife had her first day back at work today since the baby was born, so I had my first day as a stay at home dad of two kids. I could barely get anything accomplished since Nick only slept for 15 minutes at a time when I put him in his bassinet but for two and a half hours if he was on my chest. Any tips from anyone? I'd like to be more productive and less of a bed. I'll probably pick up a Boba Wrap in the next few days so he can be close to me and I can still have two free hands to get stuff done. Anyone here use it, the Moby Wrap or any other baby carrier? He's probably about 9-10 lbs and a little over two weeks old.

I found the Boba wrap to be great when my son was still like newborn little. It was the only way I could get anything done around the house. I bought a Beco carrier second hand a while ago (he's 20+lbs and 8 months now) which has been a great next-step. I should try the Boba again but I'm just not sure it feels stable enough at his weight for me to feel comfortable with it.

effzee

Surprised I didn't find this thread earlier.

My son turns 2 next month and he is the best little buddy I could have asked for. As tiring and limiting a social life I have now, I can spend hours just watching him do things.

He is a little behind in talking - knows his colors, babbles, knows how to call me, his mom, and grandparents but that's about it. I don't mind I love the babbling.

Sleep is still an adventure. I thought by now he would be in a good pattern but he sleeps in his crib for the first 3-4 hours each night but around 1-2am wakes up and cries for one of us to come sleep next to him on the bed we have in his room next to his crib. Luckily once one of us lays next to him he passes out again for the rest of the night so it isn't terrible.

Hopefully the next one is better with sleep.

Icefire1424

What is the timeline for speech? My son has been doing "mama, dada, bubba," since about six months, but "mama" is the only one that has any meaning for him (he says it when he's hungry). He'll be eight months March 12th.

Something I came across, as I was pretty curious of this as well. Seems to be aligned to what our pediatrician told us as well. We raised a little chatterbox however.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1050145/your-childs-talking-timeline

Interestingly, our daughter only knows a few colors, but is getting pretty good at counting to 10, and is getting surprisingly close to the alphabet at 22 months. I keep forgetting how fast they learn.

I was looking forward to relaxing tonight after giving my 4 year old daughter a shower, maybe even play a few minutes of the new telltale walking dead game. She says to me that she has something in her eye, so she goes to look up at me and I can immediately tell she has pink eye.

Now I'm waiting in urgent care... :(

JeTmAn81

I read somewhere (probably on Cracked) that infants and young toddlers basically utilize sleep deprivation of their parents as a survival mechanism. Essentially, after months, and months, and months of not allowing either parent to sleep, by the time that one time they sleep through the entire night, both parents are so grateful for the rest that they find they love their little one unconditionally. Sortof like how Stockholm syndrome works.

Also, the constant waking prevents parents from engaging in sexytime, meaning more attention is placed on the child preventing the parents from getting it on. Eliminating the competition, as it were.

The article was satire, sure, but I've got to acknowledge the validity of some of those thoughts.

I'm glad my kid doesn't read Cracked. She's slept 12 hours through almost every night since age 3 months (17 months now). Yes, I am grateful.

Jacob is constipated tonight, ugh. We fed him a teensy bit of prune juice <I think its a bad idea, given Andrew's blowout 2 weeks ago> but it led to an absolutely hilarious situation right now where Jacob was laying there trying to squeeze out a poop and kicking his leg and doing a bodybuilder pose, fists clenched the entire time.

Something I came across, as I was pretty curious of this as well. Seems to be aligned to what our pediatrician told us as well. We raised a little chatterbox however.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1050145/your-childs-talking-timeline

Interestingly, our daughter only knows a few colors, but is getting pretty good at counting to 10, and is getting surprisingly close to the alphabet at 22 months. I keep forgetting how fast they learn.

I'm surprised I have never seen this thread! I Have been spending more time in the OT in recent months as well too....

Our son will turn 2 years old in about 3 weeks, and he is about on par with the above link which is surprising since our household is bilingual (English/Japanese with heavy leaning to Japanese). I always had the impression that an environment like that might slow down his development, but it really is crazy how well he seems to be able to understand both languages.

He still has trouble pronouncing things of course, and mostly babbles outside of a dozen or so words that are understandable. Hopefully, he will start improving over the next few months. That said, his ability to understand things in both languages really does blow me away on a daily basis.

choodi

Banned
Jacob is constipated tonight, ugh. We fed him a teensy bit of prune juice <I think its a bad idea, given Andrew's blowout 2 weeks ago> but it led to an absolutely hilarious situation right now where Jacob was laying there trying to squeeze out a poop and kicking his leg and doing a bodybuilder pose, fists clenched the entire time.

Constipation is awful. For some reason my little guy goes through it when he has new teeth coming through.

It sucks because there is almost literally nothing you can do for them. Prune juice works like magic though.

Icefire1424

I'm glad my kid doesn't read Cracked. She's slept 12 hours through almost every night since age 3 months (17 months now). Yes, I am grateful.

Yes, be grateful. Be very, very grateful. More often than not our 22 month old is still up once a night. Granted, she usually gets a quick diaper change, sometimes wants some milk and is back asleep rather quickly, but still up once a night regardless.

We've always kept a jar or two of pureed prunes on standby for those times our little one gets constipated as well. Usually half a jar does the trick. For the record, I personally would much prefer the resulting diaper blowout than her being very uncomfortable. She has been "bound up" to such an extent sometimes that "parental intervention" was required to help. Not fun.

We've also found it helps to avoid the B.R.A.T (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) diet and cheese when she is constipated, as those foods tend to be binding. Conversely however, if your little one gets the runs, we've found those foods help tremendously.

Aaaaand...it's over!

Mia was born yesterday at 39 weeks +2 au natural via water birth, weighing in at 6lbs 7oz. She kicked ass on her Apgar test, loves being burrito-ed, and so far I've had great and consistent success breastfeeding her. She also sleeps like a champ (won't last, I know), and this all feels very, very strange and surreal. :D

jCBimJ5.jpg

Sounds like it went about as well as could be hoped for. Congratulations.

Cheers!
I did leave out all the screaming and amazing stitches part, though...

We're watching AFL highlights now, so I'm hoping it continues to go well and she becomes a sports nut too. :D

Keri

Congratulations H.Protagonist! She's lovely!

While I'm here, does anyone have advice for sleeping, while pregnant? I'm only 19 weeks, but the last couple of nights, I've started waking up, every hour or so, due to pain in my hips. I'm sleeping on my side, but I can only seem to handle it for so long, before the pressure on my side feels like too much and I have to wake up, to move to the other side. It's super bumming me out, because I still have 20 more weeks to go (not to mention the sleep deprivation of having a baby).

I've done some light reading on the internet and some women say those wrap around body pillows help, did anyone have good luck with them? They're kind of expensive as far as pillows go, so I'd like to know it's going to work. I'm not sure how the wrap around pillow will take pressure off my hips though...Some other women said they bought memory foam mattress toppers, which helped (obviously that's still expensive). I already have a pillowtop mattres topper, would memory foam make a big difference?

I just want to be able to sleep again, while I still can. I feel like I'm at that point where I'll buy ANYTHING if I know it will work and let me sleep, but I don't want my sleep addled brain to result in me buying a bunch of expensive things that won't make a difference...

Top Bottom