• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Part II] Thoughts on six patent applications related to a unique PS5, and what it may mean for SIE's future

GAF machine

Aside from most likely being a retail CELL-integrated PS5, game console 1400 (which seems to also be device 600) appears to be the base of a new game server. Entry [0203] of the first application says that game console 1400 can be "located within the data center", which leads me to think that SIE will replace failed PS3 servers with game console 1400s and make them central to the "unique" cloud-gaming strategy Jim Ryan mentioned.

An element of PS3 distributed computing may be part of the unique strategy because the same PS3 illustration (i.e., FIG. 14) discussed in Part I is the same illustration associated with the new console based game server (i.e., the dual CPU device 600 that is likely game console 1400 with a different label) that SIE filed two patent applications for:

third application -- Systems and methods for using a distributed game engine
fourth application -- Systems and methods for predicting states by using a distributed game engine

These new PS3-like servers rack into a game cloud system (GCS) that entries [0033] and [0039] of the second application say can distribute an MMO game engine across a region or around the world. Notably, the third application discusses distributing a cloud-native game engine on server hardware that FIG. 11 associates with a PS3 labeled '1100'. The fourth application continues the subject of distributed game engines, but in the context of running distributed AI prediction on server hardware associated with a PS3 illustrated in FIG. 7 labeled '700'. In both instances, the servers are associated with the same PS3 illustration that game console 1400 is associated with, even though FIG. 2A and FIG. 2B of the fourth application show GCS servers (i.e., Node A and Node 1, respectively) having two CPUs.

The fact that these dual CPU GCS servers (i.e., Nodes) are associated with PS3 in this way harkens back to Terra Soft/Sony's E.coli and Amoeba clusters, but even more so to LANL's Roadrunner. Throughout the fourth application the GCS server node reads like it's SIE's take on LANL's Roadrunner compute node, but with a GPU added to the equation.

If I had to summarize what the GCS is and what it does, I'd say it's a CELL-accelerated system governed by AI (AI details are in entries [0081] and [0090] of this fifth application) that's designed to distribute cloud-native single-player, multi-player or MMO game engines across centralized or distributed CELL-integrated PS5 based server nodes. The system's AI is also distributed across these nodes, and each node's AI agent allocates compute/rendering resources between nodes and makes predictions about what will happen in the next frame before players send their inputs. If their guesses match player inputs, they keep processing their predicted frames. If no match, they abort their frames and start processing new ones based on player inputs. They do this in order to give players the perception of reduced input latency. It's the stuff of Ken Kutaragi's dreams and Stadia's promise.

Speaking of Kutaragi, he told PCWatch that he hoped to see Polyphony Digital create "a cyber world with more than 1,000 Cells, or thousands of them" (translated by DeepL). If 'past is prologue', then in the coming years he may get to see a free-roaming world governed by GT Sophy on the GCS... If he hasn't already.

Speaking of prologue, PD knows their way around distributed game engines. They ran GT5 Prologue across four networked PS3s. Imagine importing cars from a retail GT game into a fully simulated photo-realistically rendered "GT World" for competitive circuit racing then after the race, motoring around the world with human players and NPC drivers controlled by GT Sophy. Maybe even stopping by The Cafe to chat with other visitors in 3D social/recreational hangout zones while spectating races and other happenings from different player POVs (per [0040] of the fifth application, subscribers to a service can spectate a single GCS game player or a group of players), self-controlled camera angles or a default camera mode. Then when adventurism strikes, heading down to the lake to have fun riding the waves on boats, jet skis and kayaks. Even using them in live service events to earn PS Stars.

Of course the best visual experience will likely be locked behind a Plus Premium sub. I say this because entries [0071], [0075] and [0076] of the third application give the example that when players log in, the GCS determines how many sever nodes should be assigned to each player based on their subscription tier (e.g., level 1/Essential = 2 nodes, level 2/Extra = 3 nodes and level 3/Premium = 4 nodes).

Cloud-native games that render and simulate better than anything possible on local hardware has been the talk of David Perry (Gaikai) and Tom Paquin (OnLive) for years. It's a safe bet that the FTG is working to turn Perry/Paquin's talk into GCS action.

[Part I]
[Part III]

Last edited:
Sony could have its own machines for the cloud but I do not see them use that outside Japan at least for the beginning. Microsoft did use SeriesX for their cloud so it would be cool is Sony could do the same.
Would be a twist if Sony did cloud gaming better than Xbox.
If they manage to be better than Microsoft in that area that would be crazy. We can only dream but I would love it!

Top Bottom