• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Bundled with five games (that are probably worth ~$5 each at best), it was CAD$105.

Was in a local pawn shop that I've been dealing with for years. I didn't even know it had the TurboBooster in it and I was really hestiant to pay what I paid for it because it felt like an overpayment at the time, but now I think I got a solid deal on it (especially compared to online + the shipping fees I'd have paid).

Splatterhouse has been on the rise in terms of value too. You made out fine.

dock

Legendary Axe (JP name is different), Momotaro Katsugeki, Bomberman 93/94, Bonk (JP name is different) games, New Adventure Island, Soldier Blade, Aero Blaster, Air Zonk, Download, Devil Crush and more...

Excellent recommendations! These PC Engine oddities are the reason I own the machine. Considering getting Legendary Axe and Momotaro Katsugeki.

Bomberman 94 I prefer to play on Wii/PS3 because of the ease of 4-5 player setups.

woodypop

Haven't tried the Avenue pad, but i'm in complere love with the Hori FC. Almost feels like a SNES controller and the overall build is rock solid. The D-pad is so much better than stock PC Engine pads.
The Avenue pad's okay. I've never used the Hori FC, but it looks great! Would love to get my hands on one.
Splatterhouse has been on the rise in terms of value too.
Just doing a cursory Ebay search for Splatterhouse (and the TurboBooster) and it seems Turbografx stuff in general has gone up since last I looked. :(

espher

Splatterhouse has been on the rise in terms of value too. You made out fine.

Well, I paid extra for Splatterhouse and Neutopia II, but still well below the going secondary market value. The pawn shop in question recognizes rare titles as rare and prices them accordingly, but with only one or two exceptions that I can think of (the PSX FF games, I guess, and PSO for GameCube) they still price them cheaper than anywhere else I tend to look.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bundled with five games (that are probably worth ~$5 each at best), it was CAD$105.

Was in a local pawn shop that I've been dealing with for years. I didn't even know it had the TurboBooster in it and I was really hestiant to pay what I paid for it because it felt like an overpayment at the time, but now I think I got a solid deal on it (especially compared to online + the shipping fees I'd have paid). I think it's just the vanilla one, though, and not the plus (I haven't had a chance to hook it all up yet and double-check).

Dude even with a regular turbobooster, those things are worth up to $100 on their own. You lucked out man. You might try selling it and put the cash toward a CD unit or resell the whole thing and put the cash towards a Duo.

woodypop

It's funny that, from personal experience, I've had a harder time finding the standard TurboGrafx cover than the TurboBooster. I didn't acquire a standard cover until last year, but I've had 3 TurboBoosters since getting my first console. Still no luck getting a TurboBooster Plus tho. ;_;

ZealousD

Ugh. Bought some imports on eBay and the seller keeps raising the price every time I request a new invoice. I can't tell if this person is trying to screw me or is just stupid. :(

It's funny that, from personal experience, I've had a harder time finding the standard TurboGrafx cover than the TurboBooster. I didn't acquire a standard cover until last year, but I've had 3 TurboBoosters since getting my first console. Still no luck getting a TurboBooster Plus tho. ;_;
Don't hold me to anything, but I have a Booster Plus WITH box that probably isn't going to get any use since I have a Duo-R.

Um, it's probably deeply hidden somewhere though. I just moved into a house (just meaning five months ago) and most of my game room is in shambles and boxes while I try to figure out what to do with the awful looking floor and walls so it can be inhabited by a human with some semblance of taste. I'll try to clean up some of the mess soon and peek back in this thread, maybe we can work something out once I locate it.

Harts316

What is the best way to get into collecting TG16 games and systems? It the answer as simple as "go to eBay"? Living in the US, is it even worth looking at the PC Engine stuff?

ZealousD

What is the best way to get into collecting TG16 games and systems? It the answer as simple as "go to eBay"? Living in the US, is it even worth looking at the PC Engine stuff?

Japanese versions of certain games can be cheaper than US counterparts, so either getting a PC Engine or a region modded system can be worth it if you plan on buying enough games. Plus the PC Engine library is just bigger than the Turbografx library, so there's a lot of Japanese exclusives.

I think getting a region modded Duo or PCE+CD combo is the best way to do it. I tried just getting a regular TG16 and buying just some US HuCard games but I didn't have enough self-control to keep it at that. Once you start learning about some of the best CD games it's kinda hard to stick with the basics. Especially if you consider yourself a collector.

antibolo

Banned

Sure, but expect to import a lot of stuff from Japan, most games are cheaper in their Japanese versions (but it's not always true for games that were reasonably popular in the US, like Ninja Spirit or Blazing Lazers). Make sure you can read HuCards from both regions so you can maximize your options.

There are a few really good retro gaming Japanese eBay sellers out there, with huge PC Engine inventories and reasonable prices.

Teknoman

One of these days i'm going to ship my PC Engine Duo to be modded...one day.

Im kinda nervous about shipping a system and having it shipped back though. Especially an older CD based system.

Harts316

Sure, but expect to import a lot of stuff from Japan, most games are cheaper in their Japanese versions (but it's not always true for games that were reasonably popular in the US, like Ninja Spirit or Blazing Lazers). Make sure you can read HuCards from both regions so you can maximize your options.

There are a few really good retro gaming Japanese eBay sellers out there, with huge PC Engine inventories and reasonable prices.

How can you get a Japanese PC engine to play all regions? Is the mod complicated?

antibolo

Banned
How can you get a Japanese PC engine to play all regions? Is the mod complicated?

I bought my PC Engine Duo-R from the great eBay seller doujindance so it was already fully modded.

From my understanding the mod required to defeat the US game lockout on a Japanese unit is only a single solder. Someone posted the exact details on this thread a few pages back.

Afterwards you still need a way to reverse the data pins on the HuCard slot, just like when playing Japanese HuCards on a US unit (again, the units doujindance sells are already modded for that).

(And in case you didn't already know this is only for HuCards, the CD-ROM games have no region locking whatsoever.)

What was the deal with that anyway? The only other region locked controllers I can think of are the Famicom/NES (And that was rectified with the AV Fami) and WiiU game pad.

baphomet

I know they switched the actual console because of the idea bigger is better in the states. Why that would also apply to the controller port is beyond me though.

I know they switched the actual console because of the idea bigger is better in the states. Why that would also apply to the controller port is beyond me though.

Bigger is better sure, but I read another reason for the size difference is due to FCC rules for sheilding in electronics. Shielding is one of the reasons American Genesis 1 is like twice as heavy as JP Mega Drive despite being the same size.

antibolo

Banned
And to add further confusion, the Turbo Duo went back to a regular PCE connector since it's physically identical to the first gen PCE Duo.

woodypop

Cross-posting in multiple retro threads...

Went to the NWCGE Swap Meet in Portland this weekend. Didn't find anything on my want list, but picked up a few unexpected items.

40423676-B99B-4B36-B9B9-08758FDCC045_zpshjxcp7dq.jpg

PS2 stuff!
Found a slim PS2 with carry case and memory card for $10. It's the first model with power brick, but for that price I ain't complaining. (The only other PS2s I have are old fatties.) Got a $3 copy of SFEX3 to try out the slim in the hotel room. I was missing the soundtrack disc in my SH3, so I was happy to get this one for $5.

SEGA Genesis stuff!
$10 for a 6-button stick. Now I've got a pair, for even SF2 matches! Added Alisia Dragoon and Dick Tracy to the collection. And found the elusive pink Konami Justifier, $5 for the blue/pink pair. Looks like someone took exception to the pink and tried to rub it all off. lol

More SEGA stuff!
Fatal Fury Special and Ninja Gaiden for GameGear, but it's gonna be hard to play them, as the system's packed away somewhere in the garage. I hear Sega Rally 2 isn't all that hot, but I figure it's worth $3 to add to the DC collection. I already have Virtua Cop 2, but the disc is a Not For Resale one, which irks me to no end. So I bought another regular one. =)

Turbografx-16 stuff!
Don't know much about either Sinistron or Valis II, but looking forward to another shmup and some anime cut scenes. Surprised to see a decent selection of TG-16/PC Engine stuff at the show, as it seems they make fewer appearances than Nintendo/SEGA stuff.

Manuals!
Waded through stacks of manuals and found a few to match my cart-only copies of Illusion of Gaia, World Heroes 2, Super Bomberman 2, Fatal Fury Special, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Nintendo Power!
I really don't need more magazines cluttering up the house, but these two issues have features on Illusion of Gaia, FFIII/VI, Super Mario RPG, SFA2, and Super Punch-Out!!

All-in-all it was a fruitful event. Met some cool peeps, got a few good deals, and spent less than I expected to. Can't wait to do it again. =)

woodypop

^I don't have high expectations for Valis, as I vaguely remember playing one in the series on Genesis/SNES when I was younger and wasn't impressed. But maybe I'll appreciate this one more?

Still kicking myself that I missed out on Military Madness for $23. Went to the ATM, and when I returned to the show, it was gone. ;_;

woodypop

It's a LOT easier to find the PCE/Duo cable type than it is the TG16 cable type.
Guess I'm lucky that my only cable is a TG-16 one. Is it possible to use one extension cable between the system and a tap, rather than one each from the tap to multiple controllers? (I don't see why not, but I'm too lazy to try it out.)

really? how much does it go for regular?
I think in the $40 range. It's not a must-have for me personally, but it would have been a deal.

Waiting as my Duo gets modded:

Outside of what I have from the 90s with my TG-CD, been looking for a few things.

Picked up:

Legendary Axe
J.B. Harold Murder Club
Sherlock Holmes 2

First I always wanted to play, the second was pretty cheap so I figured why not.

The main games I want for CD are:

Dragon Slayer
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Vasteel
Final Zone II
Forgotten Worlds
Last Alert
Loom
Lords of Thunder
Monster Lair

Dragon Slayer especially, as I am a huge Falcom fan and was always sad I couldn't play it back in the day because I didn't have the Super System Card. I'm also hoping that the price on Vasteel drops a bit. Most of the rest aren't too bad, save Lords of Thunder.

But yeah, if anyone is willing to part with Dragon Slayer let a brother know.

I have to say though, I am kinda surprised at the prices of a lot of the US games, most aren't horrible, but still a fair bit more than I was expecting, R-Type for over $50 seems strange as hell. Will probably just end up getting the CD for it.

As for Hu-Cards my list of must haves is basically:

Splatterhouse
Blazing Lazers
Legendary Axe II
Neotopia
Neutopia II
Ninja Spirit
Devil's Crush
Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer
Bomberman
Star Soldier
Soldier Blade

Now to go into storage and find some of my missing games, Air Zonk I know you're in there.

Yes Boss!

Set up a little PC-Engine spot for the morning. Need some more games as I've only got about four Hus and one CD game.

And the little mini PVM has a tiny speaker on it so I'm rocking it mono.

[
7886EFC2-2342-4C69-8E97-F9C82DA4F386.jpg

That's a nice TV.

I need a good 19" or under with s-video for my retro game room setup.

Or maybe I should aim bigger, real estate is not an issue.

Teknoman

That's a nice TV.

I need a good 19" or under with s-video for my retro game room setup.

Or maybe I should aim bigger, real estate is not an issue.

Nah, a decent 20 something inch is about all you'd need CRT wise. Check out some thrift stores for a Sony Wega.

emb

I just picked up a Turbo Grafx over the weekend. I've never owned one before, so it's pretty exciting I guess.

Impressions so far:

Wow, these games are expensive. I thought stuff like Neutopia and Military Madness were supposed to be cheap, but apparently not. I decided to go ahead and order Keith Courage just since it's cheap and ubiquitous. Not sure what I'll go for next. I'm thinking maybe Blazing Lazers, or one of the two I mentioned at the start of this paragraph. Not sure how much no saving would kill those two though.

The only game I have for now is Alien Crush. I'm not huge on pinball games, but this is pretty fun. The theme and presentation are really well executed.

The controller feels better than it looks. The cord is ridiculously short though. Turbo feature on buttons is a great thing to include on a stock controller.

Hucards are way nicer than I expected. I always thought they would be thinner and have stickers/labels on them, like big DS games. Having the title painted right on there feels so classy.

I hate that the back half was released separately though. I don't care that much about composite video, but the expansion port hanging open + the odd shape really bother me, lol. I suppose the solution will be to get a Turbo CD add-on someday, but it's out of my price range for now. It doesn't seem worth it to splurge for the Booster/+ when I know I'd eventually want to upgrade to the CD.

Dicer

Banned
I just picked up a Turbo Grafx over the weekend. I've never owned one before, so it's pretty exciting I guess.

Impressions so far:

Wow, these games are expensive. I thought stuff like Neutopia and Military Madness were supposed to be cheap, but apparently not. I decided to go ahead and order Keith Courage just since it's cheap and ubiquitous. Not sure what I'll go for next. I'm thinking maybe Blazing Lazers, or one of the two I mentioned at the start of this paragraph. Not sure how much no saving would kill those two though.

The only game I have for now is Alien Crush. I'm not huge on pinball games, but this is pretty fun. The theme and presentation are really well executed.

The controller feels better than it looks. The cord is ridiculously short though. Turbo feature on buttons is a great thing to include on a stock controller.

Hucards are way nicer than I expected. I always thought they would be thinner and have stickers/labels on them, like big DS games. Having the title painted right on there feels so classy.

I hate that the back half was released separately though. I don't care that much about composite video, but the expansion port hanging open + the odd shape really bother me, lol. I suppose the solution will be to get a Turbo CD add-on someday, but it's out of my price range for now. It doesn't seem worth it to splurge for the Booster/+ when I know I'd eventually want to upgrade to the CD.

You can do the composite mod cheap and easy enough...

I am bidding on a pce/cd combo right now, and I hope I land it, I want this hardware back in my home.

Hinomura

Sorry for being late, but I really, really do love the PC Engine ^__^

I have great memories of it (and I've still got a working Duo RGB modded with a dozen games ie Gunhed, Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Final Match Tennis, R-Type CD, Bomberman, etc ^__^)

It was really a great console, full of fun games I still play today, and I really do miss "old style" Japanese focused console gaming.

Long live, NEC prince ^__^

I just got a super cheap HuCard only copy of Super Star Soldier for PCE.. Really excited, it was only $9 and not a fake. I'm looking forward to playing it when my Duo is done with it's duties at the store I work at. We are going to have a Kick Ball tournament and it's set up for people to practice on.

ZealousD

Impressions so far:

The problem is that once you decide to get a CD unit, it can be really easy to fall into a deep, dark hole. What you'll really want is a region modded pc engine duo or briefcase setup.

antibolo

Banned

Japanese games are generally cheaper, but you will need a mod or adapter to read them. There's also more games on CD-ROM, if you don't have a CD addon you only have access to less than 50% of the entire PC Engine library.

Dicer

Banned
Lost the one I was bidding on, I am considering getting a coregfx, then sending it out at some point to get the flip switch/video mod. I'll then hunt up a IFU in the meantime

Anyone know the best way to get this done?

antibolo

Banned
Lost the one I was bidding on, I am considering getting a coregfx, then sending it out at some point to get the flip switch/video mod. I'll then hunt up a IFU in the meantime

Anyone know the best way to get this done?

Any reason why you're not looking for a Duo instead?

Dicer

Banned
Any reason why you're not looking for a Duo instead?

I'm looking at both, but I've always wanted the suitcase...

If I find one all pre-modded I'll be happy camper, the one I just missed was all component modded and region modded, kinda wish I put up the extra cash but $370 was pushing it for me.

antibolo

Banned
I'm looking at both, but I've always wanted the suitcase...

If I find one all pre-modded I'll be happy camper, the one I just missed was all component modded and region modded, kinda wish I put up the extra cash but $370 was pushing it for me.

Looking at their "completed listings" history, doujindance sells like 10 fully modded Duo/Duo-Rs per month, if you keep them in your eBay alerts you should get your hands on one fairly quick. And probably cheaper than $370 unless it's an RX or something.

Top Bottom