• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

I did some months ago and he didn't have any at the time. He has been listing some regular black Duo's recently though.

don't hesitate to stay on him, he can be a forgetful dude. what's also funny was when i asked him about games, he doesn't seem to care for them very much at all, just hardware, haha.

Waiting as my Duo gets modded:

Outside of what I have from the 90s with my TG-CD, been looking for a few things.

Picked up:

Legendary Axe
J.B. Harold Murder Club
Sherlock Holmes 2

First I always wanted to play, the second was pretty cheap so I figured why not.

The main games I want for CD are:

Dragon Slayer
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Vasteel
Final Zone II
Forgotten Worlds
Last Alert
Loom
Lords of Thunder
Monster Lair

Dragon Slayer especially, as I am a huge Falcom fan and was always sad I couldn't play it back in the day because I didn't have the Super System Card. I'm also hoping that the price on Vasteel drops a bit. Most of the rest aren't too bad, save Lords of Thunder.

But yeah, if anyone is willing to part with Dragon Slayer let a brother know.

I have to say though, I am kinda surprised at the prices of a lot of the US games, most aren't horrible, but still a fair bit more than I was expecting, R-Type for over $50 seems strange as hell. Will probably just end up getting the CD for it.

As for Hu-Cards my list of must haves is basically:

Splatterhouse
Blazing Lazers
Legendary Axe II
Neotopia
Neutopia II
Ninja Spirit
Devil's Crush
Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer
Bomberman
Star Soldier
Soldier Blade

Now to go into storage and find some of my missing games, Air Zonk I know you're in there.
You're probably planning on doing this, but you are going to get Japanese titles too, right? Sticking with just the US TG16 library is expensive and kind of pointless, when so many of the games have minimal or no text and the Japanese games are easier to find and cheaper.

The only problem with the Japanese library, really, is the temptation to buy lots of games and thus pay a lot for shipping from Japan... but given how good the system is and how interesting many of the games are, it's worth it if you can afford it. :)

You're probably planning on doing this, but you are going to get Japanese titles too, right? Sticking with just the US TG16 library is expensive and kind of pointless, when so many of the games have minimal or no text and the Japanese games are easier to find and cheaper.

The only problem with the Japanese library, really, is the temptation to buy lots of games and thus pay a lot for shipping from Japan... but given how good the system is and how interesting many of the games are, it's worth it if you can afford it. :)

Oh I'll be getting some Japanese games too, just focused on the US stuff for now. Generally if there is a US version I want to have that one, even for stuff like fighting games. One of my idiosyncrasies I guess.

What are some of the best Japan only games not named Sapphire or Dracula X? There are so many games it can be hard to parse them all.

Mzo

Same. If there's a US release of a game, I want it. If it's been changed significantly from the J original, I'd get both. The only time I buy a Japanese game is if there was no US release.

Off the top of my head, some cool hucards we never got: Bikkuriman World, Bomberman '94, Soldier Blade, Gekisha Boy, Gradius, wacky, wacky Batman and Valkyrie no Densetsu.

on CD there's a cool version of Strider (requires the Arcade card to play), Forgotten Worlds with the 3-button controller pack-in, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (aka River City Ransom), Gradius II, Chiki Chiki Boys, and like a million more.

The PC Engine runs deep.

IrishNinja

^as a big Strider fan, playing that on at Mzo's (thanks again man) was a really neat experience; it doesn't move or sound quite as nice as the genny, but the extra stage is cool to see, as well as more gibberish cutscenes (with better art!). gonna get an arcade card one day just for that.

and i can see wanting US ones but not if the price difference is too high, personally. Saturn for example (and what a great example, there really should be more comparisons between 2 excellent core systems with shit us sales/printings and far more love/copies to be found in japan), i'm doing most fighters from there because $60+ for marvel superheroes is stupid. if we missed stuff, i make peace with the J one, unless it's highly moonspeak, personally...almost bought Valis III this morning on an auction but eh, i like the cheesy dialogue.

but i respect idiosyncrasies. i want my big clunky boxes and the awful US art (hey look at that, another thing they have in common).

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (aka River City Ransom)

...oh my god

Mzo

Almost forgot there was also a Super CD port of the NES version of Double Dragon II, aka the best version of Double Dragon II.

That's on my list.

Sticking with mostly the US library may make sense with most systems, but it really, REALLY doesn't with the TG16; even the Saturn has a better US library than the TG16 does, and US Saturn games are on average much cheaper too. Sure there are some expensive Saturn games, but there are a bunch of cheap ones. TG16? Not so much, almost everything except for the most common stuff (sports games, Keith Courage...) is pricey.

And as for the US CD library... yeah, almost all of them will cost you.

Now, there certainly are games which will be better in the US versions, thanks to language issues. Games with lots of text or voice acting, such as many of the CD titles (the ones with voice in them; some, like Terraforming, Buster Bros/Pomping World, and the like, don't have any) or HuCards like Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia, Dragon's Curse, and the like... I'd get US versions of those games, yeah. But with so many other games you'll spend a lot less for the exact same game if you get the import; the only difference really would be a Japanese-language manual.

Oh yeah, and in late '92 to mid '93, TTI stopped using jewelcases for US HuCard releases. Go look it up -- those games just have a plastic tray inside the outer cardboard box. This means that you'll either need to spend the significant sum to get it complete, or just deal with card-only for those titles. '89 to '91 (and maybe early '92) US releases do have jewelcases, so for those I don't mind not having the outer cardboard boxes, but the later ones... I don't own any of those games' US versions yet, both because of the cost and the packaging issue. All CD games do have jewelcases though, at least.

I know that language is an issue, and getting many import games for this system WILL end up with you having games with lots of Japanese in them, but there's really no way around it if you want to see most of the library. And anyway, the shmups don't require language, and many of those are import-only. Some are expensive, but not all.

As for places to look for reviews and the like, two of the best, I think, are The Brothers Duomazov and Video Game Den. Both have extensive review libraries on their sites. There are some other good sites too, though very few have as many reviews as those.

Also I've started to do some myself, of course; so far I've done some TG/PCE CD game summaries (regular CD titles only so far), and full reviews of Avenger and Hihou Densetsu: Chris no Bouken.

baphomet

Blah....i really want a duo r from doujindance after playing one. I have the money, but i cant decide if it should go towards that or a mini. The mini would be used basically just to capture footage. I enjoy my pvm for actually playing the games.

Sticking with mostly the US library may make sense with most systems, but it really, REALLY doesn't with the TG16; even the Saturn has a better US library than the TG16 does, and US Saturn games are on average much cheaper too. Sure there are some expensive Saturn games, but there are a bunch of cheap ones. TG16? Not so much, almost everything except for the most common stuff (sports games, Keith Courage...) is pricey.

And as for the US CD library... yeah, almost all of them will cost you.

Now, there certainly are games which will be better in the US versions, thanks to language issues. Games with lots of text or voice acting, such as many of the CD titles (the ones with voice in them; some, like Terraforming, Buster Bros/Pomping World, and the like, don't have any) or HuCards like Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia, Dragon's Curse, and the like... I'd get US versions of those games, yeah. But with so many other games you'll spend a lot less for the exact same game if you get the import; the only difference really would be a Japanese-language manual.

Oh yeah, and in late '92 to mid '93, TTI stopped using jewelcases for US HuCard releases. Go look it up -- those games just have a plastic tray inside the outer cardboard box. This means that you'll either need to spend the significant sum to get it complete, or just deal with card-only for those titles. '89 to '91 (and maybe early '92) US releases do have jewelcases, so for those I don't mind not having the outer cardboard boxes, but the later ones... I don't own any of those games' US versions yet, both because of the cost and the packaging issue. All CD games do have jewelcases though, at least.

I know that language is an issue, and getting many import games for this system WILL end up with you having games with lots of Japanese in them, but there's really no way around it if you want to see most of the library. And anyway, the shmups don't require language, and many of those are import-only. Some are expensive, but not all.

As for places to look for reviews and the like, two of the best, I think, are The Brothers Duomazov and Video Game Den. Both have extensive review libraries on their sites. There are some other good sites too, though very few have as many reviews as those.

Also I've started to do some myself, of course; so far I've done some TG/PCE CD game summaries (regular CD titles only so far), and full reviews of Avenger and Hihou Densetsu: Chris no Bouken.

This was clearly the case for a while, a lot of PCE games are still cheaper, but with shipping it's becoming less and less so as importers for PCE stuff over here are starting to charge up the ass for a lot of titles. Legendary Axe 2 import is a $55 BIN, and hell even stuff like the R-type CD is pretty pricy. Gate of Thunder is similarly priced. Not sure how prices are in Japan proper, but recently it seems like a lot of the importers are trying to gouge the market. Especially for any games that either had a) A US equivelant or B) Are good, and don't require much Japanese. Even stuff like Arcade Cards are shooting up in price on the bay. Any GAFers in Japan that can pick stuff up? Seems like the last place with cheap PCE stuff is Japan.

Blah....i really want a duo r from doujindance after playing one. I have the money, but i cant decide if it should go towards that or a mini. The mini would be used basically just to capture footage. I enjoy my pvm for actually playing the games.

I want a PVM so very bad. Will need to mod my Duo for RGB when it gets in, but I may just go component modded instead. Not sure.

antibolo

Banned
Haha you guys are nuts, Japanese versions are always better, why would you deliberately want the shitty boxart of the US versions? Hell, most US HuCards don't even have artwork on the card itself, just the game name on a single color background. That's just sad.

Of course I make an exception for games with too much text (because I also want to play them, not just collect them), but apart from that it's definitely Japanese versions all the way for me.

This was clearly the case for a while, a lot of PCE games are still cheaper, but with shipping it's becoming less and less so as importers for PCE stuff over here are starting to charge up the ass for a lot of titles. Legendary Axe 2 import is a $55 BIN, and hell even stuff like the R-type CD is pretty pricy. Gate of Thunder is similarly priced. Not sure how prices are in Japan proper, but recently it seems like a lot of the importers are trying to gouge the market. Especially for any games that either had a) A US equivelant or B) Are good, and don't require much Japanese.
Then don't buy overpriced buy it nows. Wait for auctions of Japanese games and pay less. Sure there has been some price inflation, but not so much that most BIN prices are actually sane.

Even stuff like Arcade Cards are shooting up in price on the bay. Any GAFers in Japan that can pick stuff up? Seems like the last place with cheap PCE stuff is Japan.
Arcade Cards have always been expensive, but yeah, they do seem to have gone up even more recently. I really want an Arcade Card Pro (Duo would be useless for me, since I have a region-modded TG16+Turbo CD), but they're way overpriced now... it's annoying.

woodypop

Photo time!

My (domestic) stuff:
62270A47-ECC3-4B43-8D44-D027F52C6E76_zpszqafstum.jpg

7E95D512-2BA8-4402-91EB-E157440870CF_zpswso2kgr4.jpg

53864F72-706F-4191-B114-144E3745F4F2_zpsg6cp92bu.jpg

E9B21AD9-E694-40F6-B7D9-4875DF8D55E4_zpsfhyffqli.jpg

FE3B27C4-CD4F-443F-A72F-3BAFD0682D46_zpseytsxca1.jpg

Celine

^ Some really good game you have there.

Even stuff like Arcade Cards are shooting up in price on the bay. Any GAFers in Japan that can pick stuff up? Seems like the last place with cheap PCE stuff is Japan.
Yeah, Arcade Card Pro goes generally from $37 and up (including shipping) .

I paid mine $40,50.

Mzo

I've built up what I feel is a pretty impressive TG16/CD library starting from scratch this past summer, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

A big lot is the best way to get started when you have nothing, and will usually be a better deal than getting everything piecemeal. Since prices are so inflated there's nothing you can't sell and turn around on. From there, forums and local shops are the way to go. I know those options can be super limited, but if I can do it in a shithole like south Florida, it's possible in better cities. TG16 stuff isn't as common, but it still shows up. Best thing to do is get involved in the community. Join and take part in TG16/PCE forums. Meet the local people that deal in games. It helps to be personable. Don't ask people to run certain games exclusively through you before they sell after only meeting them once *cough*IrishNinja*cough*. Being in a rush is the worst thing you can do. Relax, enjoy what you have, and save up for the real deals because when they come by, you're going to want to snap up as much as you can.

As for only buying the US version of a game, that's what I want to do. Sorry. If a game is too expensive or ridiculously overpriced on eBay, I just won't buy it. Maybe it'll show up locally some day, maybe it won't. Maybe the market will crash like Atari prices did a couple of years ago and I can come back in and snap it up on the cheap. Maybe I'll never own it. I don't even know if I can finish all the games I already own before I die. I'm not in a hurry.

antibolo

Banned
A big lot is the best way to get started when you have nothing, and will usually be a better deal than getting everything piecemeal. Since prices are so inflated there's nothing you can't sell and turn around on. From there, forums and local shops are the way to go. I know those options can be super limited, but if I can do it in a shithole like south Florida, it's possible in better cities. TG16 stuff isn't as common, but it still shows up. Best thing to do is get involved in the community. Join and take part in TG16/PCE forums. Meet the local people that deal in games. It helps to be personable. Don't ask people to run certain games exclusively through you before they sell after only meeting them once *cough*IrishNinja*cough*. Being in a rush is the worst thing you can do. Relax, enjoy what you have, and save up for the real deals because when they come by, you're going to want to snap up as much as you can.

I live in Montréal and I can assure you that TG16 games are impossible to find here. The only place I've ever found some was a shitty retro gaming store that sells everything at massively inflated prices.

I've long since given up and just go to eBay for anything retro that's not Nintendo or Sega.

Mzo

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. If anything you should try to be more active in forums and online communities. Neogaf is cool for news but overall, it sucks for buying/selling/trading.

When things are scarce like this it's all about community. It's all about knowing people, and now you know me! Tell me what you're looking for and I'll keep an eye out for you. Anything I send your way would be whatever I spent on it plus shipping.

I've built up what I feel is a pretty impressive TG16/CD library starting from scratch this past summer, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

You actually see TG16 games in local stores? Lucky! I've seen TG16 stuff in stores exactly twice: a TG16 with 6 or 7 games and controllers and stuff, which I bought and was my first TG16 (in '09), and one copy of Keith Courage once. And that's it. Even Atari Jaguar stuff is easier to find. And I look for used games frequently in the stores around here.

As for only buying the US version of a game, that's what I want to do. Sorry. If a game is too expensive or ridiculously overpriced on eBay, I just won't buy it. Maybe it'll show up locally some day, maybe it won't. Maybe the market will crash like Atari prices did a couple of years ago and I can come back in and snap it up on the cheap. Maybe I'll never own it. I don't even know if I can finish all the games I already own before I die. I'm not in a hurry.
I hope you at least get some Japanese import-only titles, given how many of the system's games weren't released in the US?

woodypop

I don't often see TG16/PCE games out in the wild. In fact, I received a couple of games as gifts several years ago, before I even had the system (I think they were Air Zonk and Fatal Fury 2). Once I started though, I went on a spree and quickly snapped up my must-haves, mostly on ebay. Like I said, this was several years ago, before much of the current inflating had begun. But after I established a small library, it was easier to be more patient. Now I primarily wait for shows and conventions to look for stuff. It seems these games, along with Neo Geo, are the less common when it comes to availability. I don't see it getting much better, as I'm sure the print runs were nowhere near the scale of Genesis/SNES/NES games.

EDIT:

And my import stuff (which I find more interesting):

Golden Axe is new/sealed, and will probably stay that way--I hear it's terribad. Gradius II is one of my faves, and SFII' is amazingly solid.

Just got my modded Duo back with new CD lens, and upgrades for S-video out, region switch and capacitor replacements to give it a complete refresh. Waiting for Galaga 90 to show up and making a list of imports to complement my current library...

R-Type
Cratermaze
Keith Courage
Dragon Spirit
The Legendary Axe
China Warrior
Pac-Land
Blazing Lazers
World Court Tennis
Ys Book I & II (2 copies, 1 TurboGrafx CD, 1 Turbo Duo)
Fighting Street
Monster Lair
Gate of Thunder / Bonk's Adventure / Bonk's Revenge

Teknoman

Not to knock your mod, but PC engine looks really good even composite...would S-video here be that big of a difference? Honest question since i'll probably get mine modded at some point, along with a region switch for Turbo Chips.

Mzo

I hope you at least get some Japanese import-only titles, given how many of the system's games weren't released in the US?

Yes, of course! I've been focusing mainly on US games but there's plenty I want to get that is Japan only.

I guess after talking so much shit I should put up pictures...

Boxed stuff:

Case only TurboChips and complete HUCards:

If anyone wants to get rid of any of the boxes for these, let me know! I don't want to hear shit against World Court Tennis. It and Final Lap Twin both have a really interesting Quest mode.

US and J Super CD and Arcade CD games:

The last three pictured are dirty, dirty bootlegs. Fun, though! I have a Riot Zone coming to replace the Crest of Wolf I got in a lot, and since I might never find Dynastic Hero, but the Wonder Boy games are probably my favorite series ever, I'll make do with the Japanese one for now.

woodypop

Yes, of course! I've been focusing mainly on US games but there's plenty I want to get that is Japan only.

I guess after talking so much shit I should put up pictures...

Boxed stuff:

If anyone wants to get rid of any of the boxes for these, let me know! I don't want to hear shit against World Court Tennis. It and Final Lap Twin both have a really interesting Quest mode.
I find it so strange that the games were sold in jewel cases in boxes, effectively doubling the packaging. But then again, the PS wouldn't go to standard jewel cases until 96/97(?) Were they boxed in Japan, too?

Mzo

No, Japan used the same cases as Keith Courage, no plastic clip, just a little, flat sponge thing.

I find it so strange that the games were sold in jewel cases in boxes, effectively doubling the packaging. But then again, the PS wouldn't go to standard jewel cases until 96/97(?) Were they boxed in Japan, too?

SuperGrafx games in Japan came in boxes with the jewelcase inside, TG16-style, but not PC Engine or PCE CD, no. And yeah, they don't have the clip in Japan, just a thing around the sides to keep the cart in place. Earlier Japanese games have just that, and if the cart isn't in a slipcover it can get loose inside the case because of the lack of the bar holding it in that they added to the US cases. Later Japanese HuCard releases have a slightly better design with these two tiny little hooks which you can hook the redesigned slipcovers onto, for better grip inside... though having to hook those little things on is kind of annoying. Also HuCard games have lots of variations of end-labels -- many colors are seen, some depending on the publisher, or genre, or what have you. Some, like Namco's, say the company name on the end too. CD games in contrast use unified "CD", "Super CD", or "Arcade CD" labels... less unique.

Either way, the US cases are better, particularly if you don't have the slipcover... until you get to those later releases (later '92 to '93) which don't include a jewelcase and just have a plastic tray in the outer box. :( The US has three HuCard case designs, with box and inside case with orange and black end-labels for the 1989 releases, box and inside case with black end-label with a smaller colored stripe for 1990-'92, and just box with tray for '92-'93.

Oh yeah, and earlier Turbo CD releases came in outer cardboard boxes with the jewelcase inside, but to save money later on they dropped the outer cardboard box for those, and redesigned the case art again -- notice how earlier TGCD games have their own design for the end-label of the case, some with "Turbo CD" on the end and some with "TurboGrafx-16" and a big "CD" written on the back to show that it's a CD game. I don't know why some say "16", like a 1990-'91 card release release, and others say "CD"... but either way, these ones also often don't have the CD logo on the jewelcase (manual) cover. Later Turbo CD releases use the Japanese "CD" and "Super" end-label labeling system, and do put the "CD" or "Super CD" logo on the front too. They should have just done that with the TG16 too, but I guess plastic trays in a cardboard box were cheaper. Bah.

Sega had packaging variants too, as from '89 to '93 people could put whatever on their Genesis cases as long as it had the Genesis logo on front, while the '94 and beyond games have the red side label, and Sega CD games go from the early ones with cardboard box and jewelcase inside to those plastic large jewelcases, and in Japan they had different stuff, but despite that Sega has fewer variants than NEC... and Nintendo didn't really have any, they designed a SNES box style for each region and stuck with it.

IrishNinja

Don't ask people to run certain games exclusively through you before they sell after only meeting them once *cough*IrishNinja*cough*.

hey man, i don't see anyone else offering you some taco bell for your copy of Sapphire around here. you said you were hungry, i figure what's the harm in askin amirite

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any interesting fan translations going on with the Duo scene? After Ys 4 it just seemed to stop, which is a shame since there are plenty of interesting-looking Japanese only games (the Tengai Makyo series in particular, also Startling Odyssey 2 and the rest of the Cosmic Fantasy series).

Oare

Yesterday, I dug up my old Coregrafx/Cd-Rom2/Interface Unit in order to play some Ys.
I hadn't touched the system for maybe 3 or 4 years.
When I turned it on, the CD wouldn't spin.
I opened up the unit and there is a small gear used to move the lens that's broken. Luckily, some guy on Yahoo Auctions is selling homemade replacement parts, so I've ordered one, and am currently waiting for it to arrive. Apparently this is a fairly common issue, so hopefully things should be good once the new part is in place.

But I'm having another problem with my controller.
The "down" direction on the d-pad and select button aren't responding. All the other directions and buttons are fine.
I tried googling the issue but found nothing.
Opening the controller didn't help, nothing looks wrong inside. So I'm suspecting it might be a cable problem?
Has anybody encountered a similar issue before?

woodypop

SuperGrafx games in Japan came in boxes with the jewelcase inside, TG16-style, but not PC Engine or PCE CD, no. And yeah, they don't have the clip in Japan, just a thing around the sides to keep the cart in place. Earlier Japanese games have just that, and if the cart isn't in a slipcover it can get loose inside the case because of the lack of the bar holding it in that they added to the US cases. Later Japanese HuCard releases have a slightly better design with these two tiny little hooks which you can hook the redesigned slipcovers onto, for better grip inside... though having to hook those little things on is kind of annoying. Also HuCard games have lots of variations of end-labels -- many colors are seen, some depending on the publisher, or genre, or what have you. Some, like Namco's, say the company name on the end too. CD games in contrast use unified "CD", "Super CD", or "Arcade CD" labels... less unique.

Either way, the US cases are better, particularly if you don't have the slipcover... until you get to those later releases (later '92 to '93) which don't include a jewelcase and just have a plastic tray in the outer box. :( The US has three HuCard case designs, with box and inside case with orange and black end-labels for the 1989 releases, box and inside case with black end-label with a smaller colored stripe for 1990-'92, and just box with tray for '92-'93.

Oh yeah, and earlier Turbo CD releases came in outer cardboard boxes with the jewelcase inside, but to save money later on they dropped the outer cardboard box for those, and redesigned the case art again -- notice how earlier TGCD games have their own design for the end-label of the case, some with "Turbo CD" on the end and some with "TurboGrafx-16" and a big "CD" written on the back to show that it's a CD game. I don't know why some say "16", like a 1990-'91 card release release, and others say "CD"... but either way, these ones also often don't have the CD logo on the jewelcase (manual) cover. Later Turbo CD releases use the Japanese "CD" and "Super" labeling system, and do put the "CD" or "Super CD" logo on the front too. They should have just done that with the TG16 too, but I guess plastic trays in a cardboard box were cheaper. Bah.
Great info!

All those labeling variants drive me nuts, cause the lined up spines look so haphazard when the games are organized alphabetically. =(

Is there a definitive legend/key for the "smaller colored stripe" colors? I've seen green (Bonk's Adventure, Legendary Axe II), purple (Devil's Crush, Last Alert), Yellow (Ys Book I & II), and orange (Raiden, Bloody Wolf, Cadash). I'm not sure if there's a light and dark orange, or if some of mine are just faded. lol

Enjoying Valis 2? And so very jealous about the PVM.

Kinda Turbo related as Dave Shadoff the PCE homebrewer and guy who was working on the CF1 PCE patch chimes in on that thread. Interesting stuff. Kinda funny as I was asking him about the patch on twitter a couple days ago.

Great info!
Honestly, the weirdest one for me are Japanese pre-1992 HuCard cases. I'm not sure when HuCard games switched over to the alternate design I mentioned, but I think it was 1992, because the two games I have with those cases are Bomberman '93 (Dec. '92 release in Japan) and SFII' ('93 release). The older Japanese case style is, like US HuCard cases, a solid plastic back with a CD jewelcase cover, but the newer style has a custom insert inside a normal CD jewelcase back. That custom insert is the thing with the two little hooks on it, for hooking the sleeve to. This means that the newer style has normal CD back-art on the back of the case, with some text describing the game, screenshots, etc.

But the earlier games have nothing! I really don't get this, I don't think I've ever seen a console with boxes that have no info about the game beyond their name, cover art, and maybe the price, but unless I'm missing something, that's all the early-style PCE cases have. They do have a circular sticker on the back of the case, saying the name, publisher, and sometimes game price (for when it was new), something you won't find on US '89-'91 cases (those have blank backs, apart from the end-label sticker overlap), but that sticker doesn't have any actual game information or pictures on it. At first I assumed the answer was that they had outer cardboard boxes like US games did, but they didn't... so yeah, what the heck? You just had to buy games blind or something? Hope you know what you're getting I guess... unless there was something else I don't know about, that could be.

All those labeling variants drive me nuts, cause the lined up spines look so haphazard when the games are organized alphabetically. =(
Heh... true. Isn't that sort of true for Super Famicom and JP Megadrive games too, though? And US Genesis games as well. I mean, none of those have consistent color systems either for the end-labels of their boxes; the US Genesis is the closest of those, since the 1994-and-later titles all have red, but the earlier ones have various colors.

Still though, I would agree that there's more variety of colors on the PCE than even the Genesis. And with cartridge systems you may not be keeping the game in the box, often, while for HuCards keeping the games in the cases makes a lot of sense, so people are much more likely to have the box out and visible, I think; that has to be a factor too. And then for CD games of course they go in the jewelcases, so do you sort those with all CD games together, all Super CD games together, and all Arcade CD gaems together, or some other way? If I sort games (some platforms are sorted, others not...) I prefer to sort games by genre, not how the case/cart is designed, so that means the CD and SCD games are all mixed together too.

Is there a definitive legend/key for the "smaller colored stripe" colors? I've seen green (Bonk's Adventure, Legendary Axe II), purple (Devil's Crush, Last Alert), Yellow (Ys Book I & II), and orange (Raiden, Bloody Wolf, Cadash). I'm not sure if there's a light and dark orange, or if some of mine are just faded. lol
It might be by genre, maybe? Though I don't know if Last Alert and Devil's Crush would really be similar genres... on the PCE there are all kinds of colors. There are fewer on the US cases, probably in part because there were fewer publishers and fewer games, but yeah, even though some color choices don't make sense, genre would be my only guess.

http://s667.photobucket.com/user/royvegas/library/Turbografx Games Reference?sort=6&page=1 This page is a great resource -- it's got pictures of complete copies of all US-released TG16 and TGCD games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If anyone wants to get rid of any of the boxes for these, let me know!

Do you not have R Type? I'm thinking of getting rid of my box for that one. Its the only box in my collection, lol

IrishNinja

^never a missed opportunity, haha

it may be #YearoftheSaturn but Turbo season is upon me! fellow gaffer bishopcruz got me a TG-16 shirt for my birthday (thanks again man), and thanks to baphomet my region/'RGB modded Duo is now fully functional & should be back here on friday. a sale at PCE forums brought me Bloody Wolf (CIB!) and Air Zonk (not so much, but still!) today, and bish spot me a nice burn of the 3-in-one pack (secret-4-in-one).

currently my turbo list is Legendary Axe 1/2, Bomberman '93 and the outside loose hope of Nuetopia 1/2 for less than my light bill one day. found a complete copy of Cosmic Fantasy 2 from a Working Designs fan for about $40, and just got an offer tonight for Akumajo Dracula X for $80 shipped, right when i said i was cutting myself off - every time i'm out...

IrishNinja

there goes my donor haha

what's the difference, is you guys' art typically less terrible or what? i mean terrible in a leftover iconic 80's way where Valis III looks like a Heavy Metal reject, mind you

ZealousD

there goes my donor haha

what's the difference, is you guys' art typically less terrible or what? i mean terrible in a leftover iconic 80's way where Valis III looks like a Heavy Metal reject, mind you

I'm not Canadian, but my box is. =)

Anyway, the artwork was exactly the same between the US and Canadian versions of R-Type as far as I could tell. The only difference I could see is that there was some extra French text on the back of the box.

robot

This thread reminded me, I really need to get a turbo booster. Damn things go for $100.

I scored a console complete in box with the plastic cover still on the controller. Not sure it was ever used. Have a library of about 14 games but RF really sucks.

$100 for a turbo booster is crazy, lol.

I guess people value it for collector reasons above anything else. For that money I'd RGB mod instead.

This thread reminded me, I really need to get a turbo booster. Damn things go for $100.

I scored a console complete in box with the plastic cover still on the controller. Not sure it was ever used. Have a library of about 14 games but RF really sucks.

Don't waste your money on one of those things. Save for either a Turbo CD drive with base unit, a fixed Duo, or a Duo-R or Duo-RX, and a region mod for Japanese HuCard games too. The TurboBooster isn't worth it because it's expensive and is useless once you get a CD drive, and a TG16 without a CD drive is only half a console...

Mzo

^never a missed opportunity, haha

it may be #YearoftheSaturn but Turbo season is upon me! fellow gaffer bishopcruz got me a TG-16 shirt for my birthday (thanks again man), and thanks to baphomet my region/'RGB modded Duo is now fully functional & should be back here on friday. a sale at PCE forums brought me Bloody Wolf (CIB!) and Air Zonk (not so much, but still!) today, and bish spot me a nice burn of the 3-in-one pack (secret-4-in-one).

currently my turbo list is Legendary Axe 1/2, Bomberman '93 and the outside loose hope of Nuetopia 1/2 for less than my light bill one day. found a complete copy of Cosmic Fantasy 2 from a Working Designs fan for about $40, and just got an offer tonight for Akumajo Dracula X for $80 shipped, right when i said i was cutting myself off - every time i'm out...

You can add my loose R-Type to that list since I recently got a CIC copy. Thank god the Duo-R nightmare is over...

Fox Mulder

you can make your own cable for like $5 of stuff from radio shack if you already have a random composite cable around.

IrishNinja

crap in a hat i am so dumb sometimes

so yeah got my systems in from baphomet (who mods the shit out of NES' & such, hit him up!), some of you may recall that for the life of me i couldn't get this Duo sorted: RGB & region mods were spot-on but no matter what i tried, i'd get a PLEASE SET DISC! error when running discs.

so you can imagine my horror when it came back - after bapho showed it working at his place with no problems - doing the same shit again. i was this close to going off on doujindace: we'd replaced the resistors, i really didn't know where to go from here. puzzled, bapho offered a simple suggestion: had i tried plugging it into a wall? perhaps a power strip just didn't quite give it enough voltage.

this sounded funky to me - i'd tried both US & JP Duo power adapters - but i sobered up & gave it a go, and BAM, mystery solved. legit discs, not-so-legit-discs, everything runs smooth as butter now..meaning, it prolly did the whole time, i just shipped this thing around & if nothing else got it cleaned & tuned up for the long haul at least...anyway, time to finally enjoy the system i bought like last summer, thanks & love again out to bapho for solving the case!

boy i bet someone on PCE forums told me to try that and i was prolly like YEAH WHATEVER MAN gonna go play Ninja Spirit and shit

ZealousD

crap in a hat i am so dumb sometimes

so yeah got my systems in from baphomet (who mods the shit out of NES' & such, hit him up!), some of you may recall that for the life of me i couldn't get this Duo sorted: RGB & region mods were spot-on but no matter what i tried, i'd get a PLEASE SET DISC! error when running discs.

so you can imagine my horror when it came back - after bapho showed it working at his place with no problems - doing the same shit again. i was this close to going off on doujindace: we'd replaced the resistors, i really didn't know where to go from here. puzzled, bapho offered a simple suggestion: had i tried plugging it into a wall? perhaps a power strip just didn't quite give it enough voltage.

this sounded funky to me - i'd tried both US & JP Duo power adapters - but i sobered up & gave it a go, and BAM, mystery solved. legit discs, not-so-legit-discs, everything runs smooth as butter now..meaning, it prolly did the whole time, i just shipped this thing around & if nothing else got it cleaned & tuned up for the long haul at least...anyway, time to finally enjoy the system i bought like last summer, thanks & love again out to bapho for solving the case!

boy i bet someone on PCE forums told me to try that and i was prolly like YEAH WHATEVER MAN gonna go play Ninja Spirit and shit

Haha yeah, that sounds like a pain man. Did I ever tell the story of how I had a couple Sega CDs that were driving me crazy because of a faulty AC adapter?

Top Bottom