• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Beat this game.

It's super easy, but I had good fun with it. If you level up your boots (and don't die in between), you can almost fly through the levels.

Aq8ejO2.jpg

My friend got hooked on this not too long ago.

This was released in the US as Cratermaze.

Seems like they changed quite a bit for the Turbo release:
- cookie-cutter lead character in stead of Doraemon
- some different enemy sprites as well
- you have to collect 16 treasures in stead of pancakes
- different end bosses (who throw projectiles at your character)
- different (Hawaii style) music

Fortunately the gameplay seems unchanged.

They're not bad changes, to actually get the game over here.

But I do have the Doraemon version since I only collect PC-Engine.

IrishNinja

wait is that the top-down doremon game where you dig holes for your enemies? i totally got that one in like a PCE grab bag & love it

IrishNinja

ahhh okay, makes sense...yeah, great game, just wish it had password/save, i always get mad far before passing out

there was this terrible game boy game with the asmik dinosaur game that was in the same vein but not nearly as fun, too

Mzo

ahhh okay, makes sense...yeah, great game, just wish it had password/save, i always get mad far before passing out

there was this terrible game boy game with the asmik dinosaur game that was in the same vein but not nearly as fun, too

Are you talking about famous mascot Boomer in Boomer's Adventures in Asmik World?

Actually Doraemon isn't the original character in the game either -- the arcade original has a third character as the one you play as. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9dvf7P9QJM

The Cratermaze guy probably looks more like the original character than Doraemon... I do have the Japanese version though, bcause it was cheaper than the US one and the games are pretty much the same. I might get Cratermaze eventually too to see the other version; it's a simple game, but fun.

Actually Doraemon isn't the original character in the game either -- the arcade original has a third character as the one you play as. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9dvf7P9QJM

The Cratermaze guy probably looks more like the original character than Doraemon... I do have the Japanese version though, bcause it was cheaper than the US one and the games are pretty much the same. I might get Cratermaze eventually too to see the other version; it's a simple game, but fun.

Interesting. The character in the original game looks uninspired too though. :)
I sort of like the silliness of collecting pancakes rather than treasure chests too.

Interesting. The character in the original game looks uninspired too though. :)
I sort of like the silliness of collecting pancakes rather than treasure chests too.
The Cratermaze version clearly tries to have the music sound more like the arcade soundtrack. And yeah, graphics too -- treasure chests and blue spaceman guy. It's really the Doraemon version that is the alternate, as far as those things go... I don't know which is better though, both look and sound good.

I'm not sure about bosses and stuff though, haven't played enough of the arcade/Cratermaze version to see how they compare.

The Cratermaze version clearly tries to have the music sound more like the arcade soundtrack. And yeah, graphics too -- treasure chests and blue spaceman guy. It's really the Doraemon version that is the alternate, as far as those things go... I don't know which is better though, both look and sound good.

I'm not sure about bosses and stuff though, haven't played enough of the arcade/Cratermaze version to see how they compare.

From what I've seen on Youtube the bosses in Cratermaze are just different (huge) sprites. But unlike in Doraemon, they throw projectiles (fireballs or something) at you.

Is my game broken?

I just got this game off of gamegavel, and no matter what I try, I can't get these corrupted graphics fixed. Any tips? Can turbochip games go bad?

kBhzhrn.jpg

EDXoVH7.jpg

Bar81

Have you tried cleaning the contacts? That looks like something that would happen if the chip wasn't getting good contact.

grendelrt

Yeah, tried rubbing alcohol. I could try brasso. Every other game works fine so I know it's not my tg16

Brasso is like a last resort, it will remove some of the contact material. Try rubbing the contacts with a pink eraser and then cleaning them with contact cleaner or alcohol if you have no contact cleaner. DeOxit is really awesome as well for contacts, I use it on my MVS games.

Eraser didn't fix it. Hmm. Based on the fact that the game looks exactly the same every time, I'm assuming the card is corrupted. Will see if I can get a refund.

piggychan

Eraser didn't fix it. Hmm. Based on the fact that the game looks exactly the same every time, I'm assuming the card is corrupted. Will see if I can get a refund.

I use white spirit (mineral spirits/turpentine) on the contacts using a q-tip and giving it a rub. Just wipe it dry afterwards. Usually this works for me especially when I get a game in the post and it comes up with a white screen, but I have never had graphics corrupt like yours tho..

I had a lot of trouble getting my copy of Kyuukyoku Tiger to boot at first. But in the end I did manage to get it to work. Not sure what was going on (dirt, something else, ..?)

Bar81

Is there a consensus on which one is more valuable?

Never seen the letter, though. That's pretty awesome!

My dealer friend thinks the initial print is rarer but I disagree based on what I've seen. I've seen "tons" of the initial print in comparison to the second magazine print. Here's what the letter from PC Engine Fan looks like (not sure what it says though):

magica10.jpg

Price wise I don't think there's much of a difference.

Mercutio

My dealer friend thinks the initial print is rarer but I disagree based on what I've seen. I've seen "tons" of the initial print in comparison to the second magazine print. Here's what the letter from PC Engine Fan looks like (not sure what it says though):

Price wise I don't think there's much of a difference.

Awesome! I had read that the initial print might be "rarer" too, but it seems like they pop up more often. Maybe "fans" kept it? Weird.

Would you mind scanning or shooting a higher res image of that letter? I'd love to have a buddy of mine translate it.

Mercutio

The real question is how much did he get it for? Also where was he? I assume this wasn't in Tokyo / Akihabara?

More than I wanted, but less than the going rate these days. I've got a personal emotional attachment to the game, so it was worth it. Toilet kids was less than 1/3 of the price I've seen it going for complete these days, so that was great. Oddities of the retro trip included prices of Rockman 4 for $70, and Rockman 6 for $100. Really strange. Both seem vastly inflated.

No, definitely not Tokyo. He found it in Osaka. Tokyo is horribly picked through. Any game store listed online is nearly empty. He said Friends is basically half empty shelves now. Of course Super Potato has a lot of stuff, but it's now all 2x normal prices. Apparently they're wiling to pay $20+ for copies of Bonk 1 and 2, if that gives any indication of how much they're going to charge when they sell them.

The only thing he found in Akibahara that seemed like a good deal was a copy of that god-awful Castlevania Legends GB game for $10.

Bar81

Awesome! I had read that the initial print might be "rarer" too, but it seems like they pop up more often. Maybe "fans" kept it? Weird.

Would you mind scanning or shooting a higher res image of that letter? I'd love to have a buddy of mine translate it.

The pic blows up and I think it should be legible.

Ban Puncher

Akihabara has been lousy for prices for almost a decade and Osaka is starting to catch on to the retro tax increase.

Travel out to the boonies though and amazing prices can still be found.

D.Lo

No, definitely not Tokyo. He found it in Osaka. Tokyo is horribly picked through. Any game store listed online is nearly empty. He said Friends is basically half empty shelves now.
Must have been a bad day. I was there like two months ago and there was heaps of stock. Very expensive however, basically the same prices as SP.

Bar81

Must have been a bad day. I was there like two months ago and there was heaps of stock. Very expensive however, basically the same prices as SP.

I've heard both versions - no stock and stock but ebay prices. Will be in Tokyo in the first half of next month and will see for myself.

Mercutio

I've heard both versions - no stock and stock but ebay prices. Will be in Tokyo in the first half of next month and will see for myself.

His impression in Tokyo was that the smaller stores were selling at eBay prices, but Super Potato was buying the good stuff from the smaller guys and jacking the prices up 50%-100%. Seems like Super Potato is such an icon and is so heavily trafficked that they have to keep stock up at ANY price, and things are okay for them.

Bar81

His impression in Tokyo was that the smaller stores were selling at eBay prices, but Super Potato was buying the good stuff from the smaller guys and jacking the prices up 50%-100%. Seems like Super Potato is such an icon and is so heavily trafficked that they have to keep stock up at ANY price, and things are okay for them.

50-100% over ebay? Wtf?

D.Lo

More like matches Yahoo Auctions prices. Most things cheaper than eBay, but certain things even more.

Obvious 'Holy grail' games (like Dracula X) do cost more than eBay, I guess because nerds want to get it and take it home and say they bought 'the rare lost castlevania' in Japan.

Hard off and Book off screw with your head though. I wanted to buy a Sengoku Blade for Saturn for like 5000 yen, in SP Osaka. This is an insanely good price. But I got so many awesome games for 108 yen each at book off etc that it seems insane in context.

Rydeen

Hard off and Book off screw with your head though. I wanted to buy a Sengoku Blade for Saturn for like 5000 yen, in SP Osaka. This is an insanely good price. But I got so many awesome games for 108 yen each at book off etc that it seems insane in context.
I think the Hard Off / Book Off chain works a lot like Goodwill where it's just up to the staff to price things as they see fit, there's not really a plan for pricing, it's just slapping stickers on items.

Top Bottom