• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Celine

I have yet to try it for the very first time. :) Including a good number of the other games tbh. I'll probably start with Soldier Blade or Coryoon.
Soldier Blade is amazing.
Mizubaku is a game simply priced outside my self-imposed budget :-\ (both the Saturn and PCE version).

I played a homebrew shooter on GBA called Super Star Shooter Advance and it captures the spirit of Hudson PC Engine caravan shooters quite well. Try it if you have the chance.

Little family portrait, lol.

I need Star Parodier, Final Soldier and the PSP Soldier Collection still though.

1toH6sb.jpg

Shining

Beautiful! I can never get enough of Soldier Blade.

Pretty tempted to get Dungeon Explorer II, but them prices! $200 is a bit too much. Seems like a really good game tho.

Beautiful! I can never get enough of Soldier Blade.

Pretty tempted to get Dungeon Explorer II, but them prices! $200 is a bit too much. Seems like a really good game tho.
The Japanese version should be $20 or under.

There's some text, but the actual game is pretty straightforward so far (a friend and I played through a few hours not too long ago).

piggychan

I have yet to try it for the very first time. :) Including a good number of the other games tbh. I'll probably start with Soldier Blade or Coryoon.

Taito did some pretty decent ports for the pc engine. They are not 100% arcade faithful but certainly the pc engine versions are unique ports put it that way..

I think the only stinkers Taito did were New Zealand Story and perhaps Don Doko Don.

Their space invaders plus and Hana Taka Daka !? are fantastic pc engine exclusives and you might like bari bari densetsu

edit:
sorry for blurry pics but my pce taito collection... I just want Tatsujin really bad... but at those market prices ughhh..

P1020452.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just got my new Doujindance Duo-RX! Modded for Region and RGB/S-Video.

cLxstut.gif

Mercutio

cLxstut.gif

Man, I have to get my Duo R modded for at least RGB one of these days. Did yours come with the 6 button controller? I need to decide if my friend who is going to Japan is going to bring me the Avenue version, or the Duo RX version...

Man, I have to get my Duo R modded for at least RGB one of these days. Did yours come with the 6 button controller? I need to decide if my friend who is going to Japan is going to bring me the Avenue version, or the Duo RX version...
RX controller stinks, get Avenue 6 or Hori.

ZealousD

The Duo RX controller is at least twice as expensive as an Avenue 6. Having both, I don't think the premium is worth it.

I need to get my Duo RX modded too!

In the meantime I got an external RGB mod start cable for my CoreGrafx and it looks amazing. Wish I had gotten that years ago!

Also, just got my GT re-capped. The screen's was dead for years. So chuffed now it's all working!

Happy days!

Celine

There really is no sensible reason to buy a PC-FX, is there?
Most think at PC-FX as the successor of mighty PCE but really to me it looks more a consolized PC-98 (with better 2D of course).
What I mean is that the most prominent aspect of the PC-FX is the library composed by games similar to the ones in the japanese computer scene in mid '90.

There are some interesting but most require to understand japanese and are on average pricy since it was such a niche system.
Here a few interesting games:

Chip Chan Kick!
Kishin Doji Zenki: Vajura Fight (good sidescrolling action game)
Super God Trooper Zeroigar (apart for the FMV seems a medicre shoot'em up)
Battle Heat (cinematic fighting game, it's hard to understand how it works at first)
Last Imperial Prince (side scrolling ARPG)
Blue Breaker (RPG also available on Saturn)
Fire Woman Matoigumi (one of the best reason to own a PC-FX)
Power Dolls FX (strategy game from a typical PC series)
Farland Story FX (same as above)
Megami Paradise 2 (another very interesting game)
Akazukin Cha Cha (fun board game)

In italics what I would get if I wanted to build a PC-FX collection and had unlimited money.

Mercutio

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Turbo Duo 3-in-1 pack. Stupid thing is getting more and more expensive, and I don't actually own any Bonk games. Seems a good deal cheaper than buying each thing individually, and I love Gate of Thunder with all my soul.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

So the game didn't come with spine / back art, right? Just three manuals? I found a bunch of replacement art to print and jam in there, including this:

Gate_of_Thunder_insert_c.jpg

ZealousD

So the game didn't come with spine / back art, right? Just three manuals? I found a bunch of replacement art to print and jam in there, including this:

Correct. the US version just has the disc and stuffs three manuals into a blank jewel case.

Due to wallpaper removal and painting, I'm trapped in my game room today.

I've been playing (and live-tweeting) Dragon Knight III this morning, I really miss 80's/90's anime art.

I was really planning on playing a variety of games during my "incarnation," but once I started Dragon Knight III I just could not stop. I beat it this morning (twice, since my Duo bombed out during the ending sequence). I'll write some in-depth impressions once I'm at a keyboard but I would give it a pretty high recommendation. It's cheap (~$10), it's classic Dragon Quest style gameplay, and it's short and speedy (and mostly easy to get through with a language barrier). Of course the cute girls are a plus, but this is the rare h-game that is simply enhanced by the ecchi as opposed to relying on it.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Turbo Duo 3-in-1 pack. Stupid thing is getting more and more expensive, and I don't actually own any Bonk games. Seems a good deal cheaper than buying each thing individually, and I love Gate of Thunder with all my soul.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Gate_of_Thunder_insert_c.jpg

That looks like Joe Redifer's handwork.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
For anyone that's bought a doujindance Duo R, is that model compatible with the TurboEverdrive? If not, has anyone had any luck asking him to build in that compatibility?

ZealousD

For anyone that's bought a doujindance Duo R, is that model compatible with the TurboEverdrive? If not, has anyone had any luck asking him to build in that compatibility?

I just got a Duo-RX from him and it worked just fine. As far as I'm aware, the Everdrive doesn't really have any issues with region-modded Duos, just region-modded OG PC Engines.

I just got a Duo-RX from him and it worked just fine. As far as I'm aware, the Everdrive doesn't really have any issues with region-modded Duos, just region-modded OG PC Engines.

It depends on how the mod is done, where the power for the switch is drawn from. All models can be modded to work with the Turbo Everdrive.

ZealousD

It depends on how the mod is done, where the power for the switch is drawn from. All models can be modded to work with the Turbo Everdrive.

The OG PC Engine is really the only one where you can screw it up, though, isn't it?

It is my understanding that you can get region-modded OG PC Engines to play the Turbo Everdrive, but it has to be a very high quality mod that is done specifically with the Everdrive in mind, pretty much.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Does anyone have any tips for playing Full Speed Delivery Boy as an english speaker? I saw it on Game Center CX and it looked really unique. Just got a copy in the mail yesterday and I've been using the episode as something of a walkthrough, but it would be a lot easier and more fun if I could understand what the pedestrians were saying, haha.

I invited a bunch of my friends over for gaming this weekend, one of them replied saying she was in Japan.

So of course there was shameless, shameless begging to buy me PC-Engine games.

D.Lo

White cables match Duo Rs better. though controller cords themselves are grey smh.

EDIT: Actually how funny is it, PCE started out white (original), then went (not exact order) grey (Core) grey (Core 2) grey (Duo) grey (Shuttle) grey (TG16) grey (LT) grey (GT) grey (SGFX) white (R) white (RX).

I have the first and last models ;)

White cables match Duo Rs better. though controller cords themselves are grey smh.

EDIT: Actually how funny is it, PCE started out white (original), then went (not exact order) grey (Core) grey (Core 2) grey (Duo) grey (Shuttle) grey (TG16) grey (LT) grey (GT) grey (SGFX) white (R) white (RX).

I have the first and last models ;)
You got me interested in the differences in color shades between models... and there are more than you say here.

Specifically, NEC used a bunch of shades of black and grey in between the white models. The differences are noticeable if you put the systems next to eachother, just like how the Majesco Game Gear is black, not grey like Sega GGs are.

Roughly in order of release:

PCE - white
CD - white
TG16 - black
Turbo CD - black
EU Turbografx - grey (clearly lighter shade than the US TG16)
Supergrafx - dark grey?
Coregrafx - dark grey? - Supergrafx & Coregrafx should be the same color.
Duo - black/dark grey (US & Japan models look the same color-wise)
Coregrafx II - grey
Super CD - grey - Super CD and Coregrafx II are the same shade of lighter grey.
Shuttle - grey
Duo R - white
Duo RX - white

PC-FX - white

Controllers also vary -- I've got one white controller style, PCE Turbo controller, two grey controller styles, Coregrafx 2 and Avenue Pad 3, and two black, TurboGrafx-16 and Avenue Pad 6.

Hopefully these image links all work!

These images should show how the Coregrafx 1 is a darker grey or maybe even black, while the Coregrafx 2 is lighter grey:
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608030111053646244&pid=15.1&P=0
http://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/14/42/80/06/9fff4810.jpg

Here we see the TG16 and Duo are darker than the Supergrafx.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2936/14283789052_b054146092_z.jpg

Another lineup, showing the TG16 as darker than the Duo:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2926/14099164668_1d5536e230_z.jpg

in order, Turbo Duo, TG16, PC Engine Duo. Sure looks like both Duos are the same color of dark grey, slightly lighter in color than the black TG16.
http://images3.static-bluray.com/htgallery/126848.jpg

Lots of controllers!
http://nfgcontrols.com/grafx/PCE-10-pads.jpg (The EU Turbografx is indeed lighter grey than the TG16, as is its controller there. And yes, the first PCE pad didn't have turbo switches.)

D.Lo

Sega did a similar thing with their entire line:

White SG1000
White SG1000 II
White Mark III
Black Master System
Black Mega Drive (+CD)
Black Mega Drive II (+CD)
Black Master System 2
Black 32X
Black USA Saturn
Grey Japan Saturn