• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mercutio

Maybe I misread, saw the words hucard, Magical Chase, and $100: Brain just jumped to conclusions.

Ahh, I see what happened. I said this in regard to Parasol Stars:

Oh wow, that's amazing. That sold price though... I guess the normal hucard goes for like $100 due to rarity right? You wonder what would happen if a prototype of Magical Chase showed up.

Parasol Stars goes for $100 or so. I was remarking what crazy price a proto of Magical Chase would go for, since that game is around $350+.

Mercutio

Too much Bomberman 94? Impossible.

04B593A2-2307-4E81-BE98-C15F4B1CF36F_zpsrocoffcq.jpg

Having trouble getting the TE on the wifi for multiplayer though.

piggychan

you want RGB for your pc engine??? You might want to look into this if you have the cash!!!

The PC-KD863G. A pc engine built into a RGB computer monitor with speakers......*DROOLS*

Maker: NEC Home Electronics
Release Date: 9/27/88
Price: 138,000 yen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_n5q59lWjH21rwszdgo1_1280.jpg

Mercutio

That's hot.

Some more neat PCE-compatable hardware; the Sharp X1 Twin:

sharp-x1-twin-02_small.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJp_xxrCu_c

I did a bit of research about that thing, and it's sounding like the computer half and the PCE half can't really co-exist... and the PCE side doesn't output RGB?

Man, Piggychan, sometimes I think I could collect ONLY Bomberman stuff and be totally happy. I sort of want to try the SRPG game(s?) at some point. They look vaguely FFT. Did anyone ever translate it / them?

Mercutio

Anyone up for beating my hi score on salamander ?

8948b888-15b2-4ced-b6e8-961fe96e2876.jpg

oooooooooooh. I'm totally going to take a shot at that tonight. I haven't played much Salamander though...so don't expect much.

the LT is so goregous in person, my friend got one last year and it still looks as good as when I first played it back in the late 90's

Is there any information on the LT that pertains to its creation? What market they were going for, why it was designed? I'd really love to hear that kind of stuff about it.

Also, I'm obsessed with the GT / Turbo Express now. Having Soldier Blade on my subway rides is the F'ing best.

CEarl-MWEAAenLv.jpg

Jaeger

you'll gonna need those 6 button pads/joysticks to get the most out of that game. It's a bit weird playing it with the 2 button controller. and pressing select to switch between punch and kicks.

One day when I am satisfied with this SFII port game-hunt, I will definitely invest in the systems and controllers needed to get the maximum out of them! For now my obsessions is collecting the games themselves (although I am making a few exceptions with a handful of key SFII related thingies).

Mercutio

you'll gonna need those 6 button pads/joysticks to get the most out of that game. It's a bit weird playing it with the 2 button controller. and pressing select to switch between punch and kicks.

Agreed. For like two years I've had the game without the 6 button pads. Now I've got them, and it really is a tremendously playable port with awesome sound.

D.Lo

The GT was insane back in the day, but while the tech is cool, I can't get behind the physical design of the GT or LT. Both are clunky looking. GT is a rounded fatty, and the LT looks like one of those briefcase laptops, busy and clunky with unnecessary edges everywhere.

White original PCE is sogood.gif, and I love the brutal 80s-ness of the Duo. PCE and Duo have that original Game Boy aesthetic, simple and brutal with nicely rounded corners and a few bits of flare.

Duo R is a bit of a fatty too, but still nice overall.

Mercutio

The GT was insane back in the day, but while the tech is cool, I can't get behind the physical design of the GT or LT. Both are clunky looking. GT is a rounded fatty, and the LT looks like one of those briefcase laptops, busy and clunky with unnecessary edges everywhere.

White original PCE is sogood.gif, and I love the brutal 80s-ness of the Duo. PCE and Duo have that original Game Boy aesthetic, simple and brutal with nicely rounded corners and a few bits of flare.

Duo R is a bit of a fatty too, but still nice overall.

I might be on your side about the NES controller stuff, but maaaaaaaan. Say what you will about the GT design, it's the most comfortable portable I've ever held.

D.Lo

Never seen or used either in real life mind you.

Being in Australia, in many cases the only obscure gaming hardware I've ever seen/used (e.g. Mark III, Twin Famicom, PCE consoles in general) are ones I own myself (apart from trips to Japan).

Mercutio

Never seen or used either in real life mind you.

Being in Australia, in many cases the only obscure gaming hardware I've ever seen/used (e.g. Mark III, Twin Famicom, PCE consoles in general) are ones I own myself (apart from trips to Japan).

The GT is, to my hands, ergonomically perfect. Modern portables are thin and my hands cramp after long play sessions. Not the TE / GT! Thick and meaty with awesome curvature. One of those things you just know was sculpted endlessly through prototypes until it felt great.

Fingers crossed but I may be picking up a PC Engine Turbo Duo that has a non working CD drive for around $50. Trying to buy off a friend of a friend who says the disc system says set disc and won't play anything. How hard is this to fix? Is there any reputable places I can get it repaired in the US? Thanks all!

piggychan

Fingers crossed but I may be picking up a PC Engine Turbo Duo that has a non working CD drive for around $50. Trying to buy off a friend of a friend who says the disc system says set disc and won't play anything. How hard is this to fix? Is there any reputable places I can get it repaired in the US? Thanks all!

You might need to get the capacitors replaced too...

Teknoman

PCenginefx forums and contact someone like Kieth Courage. Either that or i'm sure someone on GAF can?

eXistor

I recently got my region-free, RGB Modded PC engine DUO R (looks like new too) and it works fine, but I know the capacitors in Turbo Duo's are notoriously shitty. Is this something the DUO R suffers from too?

/edit: I 'll post pics when I get to them, still in the middle of a move so it's a bit hard right now.

piggychan

I recently got my region-free, RGB Modded PC engine DUO R (looks like new too) and it works fine, but I know the capacitors in Turbo Duo's are notoriously shitty. Is this something the DUO R suffers from too?

/edit: I 'll post pics when I get to them, still in the middle of a move so it's a bit hard right now.

I think the Duo R / RX are more reliable. But I can't find the links anymore that state this.

If you want to try caps replacing yourself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjauOGwmKH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XClkfqVDEPE

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3249.0

Mercutio

Duo R should be solid. Systems that seem to 100% have issues with caps: Turbo Duo, Game Gear, Turbo Express / PCE GT. All from about the same time production-wise. There might be others, but those ALWAYS need a replacement.

Mercutio

Did a lot of Multi-Player PC Engine on Saturday.

bomberman_zps2grhwadi.jpg

5 Player Bomberman with my motley collection of controllers.

bomberman2_zpska56rtzc.jpg

And quite a bit of Dungeon Explorer. So much better multi-player than alone.

dungeonExplorer_zps028cdxmm.jpg

I need a lot more extension cables though. Even with the multi-tap on one, people have to cluster way too close.

Mercutio

I like the li'l adapter for the Turbo controller, haha

Gives it a few extra inches, too. I actually find myself using the Turbo Pad the most, since it has a smooth D-Pad... a lot of the other NEC Avenue pads have weird raised markings on them.

Oh, hey, total side-track: anyone in here want download codes for Wii U Runner 2 and Guacamelee? I got the Humble Ninty bundle, but I've already got those games. PM me if you want them, first come first serve.

Did a lot of Multi-Player PC Engine on Saturday.

bomberman_zps2grhwadi.jpg

5 Player Bomberman with my motley collection of controllers.

bomberman2_zpska56rtzc.jpg

And quite a bit of Dungeon Explorer. So much better multi-player than alone.

dungeonExplorer_zps028cdxmm.jpg

I need a lot more extension cables though. Even with the multi-tap on one, people have to cluster way too close.

I got 5 of them from Monoprice for a good price back last year.

Sadness as my turbo duo purchase fell through......Found a guy online selling console only of the white pc engine and the Coregrafx for decent prices and thinking of biting on one. Assuming everyone will recommend the Coregrafx for the av out. Question is what cables can i use since it has NONE?

piggychan

Sadness as my turbo duo purchase fell through......Found a guy online selling console only of the white pc engine and the Coregrafx for decent prices and thinking of biting on one. Assuming everyone will recommend the Coregrafx for the av out. Question is what cables can i use since it has NONE?

PC Engine/TG Model
PC Engine Voltage: 9V , Amps: 650mA, Polarity: - ,Part No: PAD-105 + PAD-106
CoreGrafx I+II Voltage: 9V , Amps: 800mA, Polarity: - ,Part No: PAD-105 + PAD-106

you will need this one for the core grafx. The original white pc-e only has RF.
$(KGrHqJ,!q4FDnB9KCeTBRG3Mte56w~~60_35.JPG

alternatively you can get an AV booster which sits at the back bus port on either console.

LMdZuce.jpg

There is another booster which is larger and houses back-ram and AV out connectors.

But then you might later on want to mod your machine to improve the picture quality.....

piggychan

ah waiting over! This arrived today. The seller I bought it from doesn't have RGB monitors and neither can he supply RGB cables although he does know how to do the RGB mod.. so I took the chance with component instead. He's called Keith Courage from pc engine fx forums.

He also whitened and changed the gearing inside the cd rom player. The actual pc engine console is unmodded so perhaps I can get it RGB'd at a later date. The component image actually looks alright on my plasma and displays correctly. One thing I can't stand about Scart RGB in the UK is on our TV's the center alignment is always to the left so part of the left screen goes missing and there is a always a border on the right hand side. This was the case with all the consoles; pc engine, genesis/megadrive, SNES, playstation, Sega saturn, PS2...
d3d1801a-719a-4b9c-921b-eacf1cfb1747.jpg

c2b34662-d89a-4f2e-a36d-c981e96c491b.jpg

9989a832-de9f-4b39-a3b0-1d992a1b2b2a.jpg

Mercutio

So this thing came:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251958300618?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And it's not so good. The connector is clumsily shaved down from something larger, and it sort of weighs down the back of the system. Now, I'd be able to forgive that if it worked.

It doesn't work.

My XRGB just kind of freaks out, snaps to a black screen, and then back to "No Input." Additionally, there are slashes in the cable. Like actual long knife cuts in it. I don't know if any of them cut through the shielding and into the cable, but it does not bode well.

I requested a refund and I'm interested to see what the response will be.

So a follow up to this. The seller finally got the box back, and it tests fine on his European monitor that has native SCART. My XRGB Mini couldn't see it at all.

Anyone know what could be up with that?

piggychan

So a follow up to this. The seller finally got the box back, and it tests fine on his European monitor that has native SCART. My XRGB Mini couldn't see it at all.

Anyone know what could be up with that?

there was talk on the sega saturn thread about japan 21 pin RGB is not the same as Euro SCART 21 so that might be why ?

Mercutio

looking at that ebay auction he said he tested it with XRGB2 unit with with a Euro to Japanese pinout adapter cable??? Did you have that too?

I've got a Euro SCART to Japanese adapter for my XRGB Mini, yeah. It's worked with every other system I've ever tried it with.

Khaz

One thing I can't stand about Scart RGB in the UK is on our TV's the center alignment is always to the left so part of the left screen goes missing and there is a always a border on the right hand side. This was the case with all the consoles; pc engine, genesis/megadrive, SNES, playstation, Sega saturn, PS2...

Time to delve into the system menu of your TV.

piggychan

I've got a Euro SCART to Japanese adapter for my XRGB Mini, yeah. It's worked with every other system I've ever tried it with.

I can't really comment because I have no experience with XRGB's yet... last thing I am gonna ask ya is did you try it with a game inserted ? It might just be that this particular adapter might just be custom made to work only on their machine?

Time to delve into the system menu of your TV.

those old UK CRT's didn't allow options for screen alignments. I am sure the only way to have gotten over this was to use a monitor that had scart input.

Khaz

Are you really sure? I'm talking about the hidden service menu that you can only access with a secret cheat code.

Top Bottom