• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Hardware gurus! give a brother a hand here, wouldja?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Installed hardware:

? Multimedia Audio Controller
? Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

OK, I have NO IDEA who the manufacturers are, and I need to install drivers to get them to work (especially the audio controller, I'm transferring my videotaped pr0n to my HD and...never mind). Is there anyway to get the hardware signature from these so I can suss out the drivers? Anyone?

Korranator

Genrally, both of those drivers are related to either the motherboard, or the actual processor (Pentium), so you probably need a chip-set driver.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's a custom jobbie, so I dunno how that would help...plus I got the audio controller and installed it separately, but the guy who sold it to me didn't have the install CD. I figured I could just find it myself thanks to the POWER OF THE INTERNET but I'm coming up empty. :(

edit: Korranator, I get where you're coming from, but since it's a separate card I don't think that'll apply here. Stupid PCs! Why won't you just work!

If you don't know what kind of cards you have, you'll have to open up the case and look at the chips on the cards. If you're lucky, your sound card will have a sticker with a model name/number on it. Then you can just look up the manufacturers website, or just search on google or driverguide.com

USB drivers are usually part of the motherboard, so see what kind of motherboard chipset you have, it's probably either VIA, nForce or Intel.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My motherboard is VIA, so that's settled. Still doesn't help me with the audio input card - it's separate from my Soundblaster, if that helps.

Fuck it, I'll just take my PC apart and hunt for a freaking serial number or something. Thanks anyways guys.

Diablos

Bish.. download that program, your problem could be very simple. Just run it and click the mainboard tab:

A64.gif

Tell us what you see besides VIA.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology
Chipset VIA K7600
Southbridge VIA VT8237
Sensor IT 0

BIOS
Brand: Award Software International
Version F6
Date 07/03/2003

And this is what it gives me for the audio controller:

Audio controller
vendor ID 0x1412 (Audio controller)
device ID 0x1712
revision 0x2
sub vendor ID 0x1412 (unknown)
sub device ID 0xD634
class code 0x4
sub class code 0x1
bus 0, device C, function 0

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh for crying out loud...it's STILL not recognizing. I took the damn thing apart, identified it as an Envy24, installed the driver and it isn't working. Good grief.

Miguel

Well, since we're in the habit of helping people with simple PC problems...

I have an AMD Athlon 1800XP+, but it's only registering as 1150 mhz. What do I need to change? :p

I know I did it before, but I just can't remember what I did and I had to reset the bios about 6 mos ago and have been at 1150mhz ever since. I have that program downloaded...tell me what you need!

tenchir

What OS are you using? If you are using WindowsXP, then the USB drivers should be there if you have installed Service Pack 1. If it still doesn't install the drivers after installing SP1, try update driver and install automatically.

EekTheKat

I have an AMD Athlon 1800XP+, but it's only registering as 1150 mhz. What do I need to change? :p

I know I did it before, but I just can't remember what I did and I had to reset the bios about 6 mos ago and have been at 1150mhz ever since. I have that program downloaded...tell me what you need![/quote/

Well assuming you're not using junky memory -

Change your FSB from 100 to 133.

100fsb x 11.5 = 1150

133fsb x 11.5 = 1530 (which I think is the actual clockspeed of the Athlon xp 1800+ )

Miguel said:

I know I did it before, but I just can't remember what I did and I had to reset the bios about 6 mos ago and have been at 1150mhz ever since. I have that program downloaded...tell me what you need!

wait he said

EekTheKat

Oh for crying out loud...it's STILL not recognizing. I took the damn thing apart, identified it as an Envy24, installed the driver and it isn't working. Good grief.

------------------

Heh well from browsing all Gigabyte MB's that sort of fit the profile, it seems like the missing device may be a realtek codec or driver or the likes.

Try these :

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_List.htm

There's a VIA audio driver and a Realtek Codec on that page.

This is also a possibility :

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/D...FileList/Driver/driver_audio_realtek_whql.exe

Oh and I guess :

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/D...ard/FileList/Driver/driver_usb20_via_8235.exe

*might* solve your USB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom