• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Overclockers need your help.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright, i bought a pc from an online vendor recently (AVADIRECT), they did a great job with it, however after using it this weekend, and playing Crysis a bit, i loaded Crysis up again today and before doing anything, the screen when black and halted my computer. So, after some time i shut it down and restarted. Well something bad happened and it seems that the overclock they provided in my machine was now lost, and my stock 9550 settings have been restored to 2.83 ghz from 3.41. So....they provided a bunch of analysis reports for my overclock and such, and i have looked at those, and using CPU Z and various tools have reconfigured my bios to match the settings. Only problem is, now i seem to be getting some instability when trying to run some games. I tried running 3dmark 06, and after the first few demos which ran fine, it failed to load the balloon one and halted my machine again, but i didnt lose the new OC settings after restart.

Here is exactly what i changed on my P5E3 premium bios settings and im wondering if there are any other settings that i should be tweaking.

My computer: 9550, 2 sticks of 4 gigs corsair ddr 3 1333, corsair 750 watt psu, 4870 x2, ASUS p5e3 premium mb. Have a zalman 9700 cooler with an Antec 1200 case and max fans. CPU runs around 39-40c idle, and my 4870x2 i use expert tool to run fans at 70% and gpu 49c idle.

I changed these in bios:

Under AI TWEAKER settings;

AI overclock Tuner - Manual (was auto)
CPU Ratio setting- 08.5 (was auto)
FSB Frequency - 400 (was 333)
DRam Frequency - DDR3 - 1601
CPU Voltage- 1.38750 (the voltage in cpu z from AVA read 1.376, however with this setting i can only seem to get 1.36-1.368, does this need to be increased even more to match 1.376?)

In doing these changes i have been able to match the 3.41 ghz overclock and the same numbers that AVA provided in the various analysis sheets and images from cpu-z and such, however there are many more settings in the bios that they may have changed and i dont have a clue. So, is there anything i can do to rectify the weird random crashes im getting? This computer is brand new so i dont think its a total hardware failure. I can still run 3d intense games.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Try a 1:1 ratio on the RAM, in other words, dont overclock it, see what happens. The OC might have been screwed from the start, try reducing everything if it continues. I dont know though, im a Intel oc'er so im not sure whats the norm for AMD's.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Try a 1:1 ratio on the RAM, in other words, dont overclock it, see what happens. The OC might have been screwed from the start, try reducing everything if it continues. I dont know though, im a Intel oc'er so im not sure whats the norm for AMD's.
This is an Intel processor (9550). I was just able to run 3d mark to completion, matching almost exactly the numbers i got on the prior oc (19260 marks).

Also Im running VIsta Ultimate 64 sp1 if anyone needs that.

ianp622

Agent Ironside said:

I may be misunderstanding you but wouldn't a 1:1 overclock the RAM whenever the CPU is overclocked? The point of ratios is that you can raise the speed of the CPU higher than what your RAM will allow. The drawback is that performance isn't as good as a 1:1 ratio. I don't think you usually change the DDR frequency yourself, it's usually the ratio that determines the DDR frequency.

You can usually raise the CPU voltage as much as you want as long as the CPU stays cool.

I would also be very careful with overclocking the RAM. That DDR3 must have cost a ton.

Use Prime95 and Memtest to make sure your CPU and RAM (respectively) aren't getting errors.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright so i actually set the ratio and the dram freq back to auto and am achieving the same readouts in cpu z. I also have a full EVEREST report which i am now comparing and found my memory clocks were much higher. Hope i didnt fuck up my ram.

Xavien

You cant really mess up a component via overclocking, only if you mess with the voltages that could fry your ram/processor.

Personally, it sounds like your Ram was overclocked further than it could be supported. Unfortunately i have had an AMD processor for the past 4 years, so i cant really tell you much about how Intel overclocking works. Try to keep you RAM frequency lower, the speed at which your RAM can support and be overclocked by is dependant on the make/model of the RAM itself.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright so i am doing a match to everest reports and have gotten most of the numbers exactly the same except these discrepancies which i have found::

(disregard the trial notes)

Before:

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Beachwood X48
Memory Timings 9-9-9-24 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 2T
DIMM1: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1333C9DHX 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM3: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1333C9DHX 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2402.6 MHz (original: 2833 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 6x
CPU FSB 400.4 MHz (original: 333 MHz, overclock: 20%)
Memory Bus 667.4 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 10:6

Current:

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Beachwood X48
Memory Timings 6-7-7-20 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1333C9DHX 2 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM3: Corsair XMS3 DHX CM3X2G1333C9DHX [ TRIAL VERSION ]

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2402.6 MHz (original: [ TRIAL VERSION ] MHz)
CPU Multiplier 6x
CPU FSB 400.4 MHz (original: 333 MHz, overclock: 20%)
Memory Bus 400.4 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1

My memory timings are different and cpu speed ratio and memory bus are different.

How do i get those back to the same?

ianp622 said:
I may be misunderstanding you but wouldn't a 1:1 overclock the RAM whenever the CPU is overclocked? The point of ratios is that you can raise the speed of the CPU higher than what your RAM will allow. The drawback is that performance isn't as good as a 1:1 ratio. I don't think you usually change the DDR frequency yourself, it's usually the ratio that determines the DDR frequency.

You can raise the CPU voltage as much as you want as long as the CPU stays cool.

I would also be very careful with overclocking the RAM. That DDR3 must have cost a ton.

Use Prime95 and Memtest to make sure your CPU and RAM (respectively) aren't getting errors.

Ahhhh im thinking of DDR2 800 :lol a 1:1 ratio with a FSB of 400 would give you DDR2 800, bleh, anyway...

Threi

notag
What is the current command rate?

Try putting the timings up by one value as well.

And upping both CPU and RAM voltage.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Threi said:
What is the current command rate?

Try putting the timings up by one value as well.

And upping both CPU and RAM voltage.
CPU Z is telling me it is 2T for command rate, same as the previous everest report. My problem is is I dont know what to set to get my timings and the 10:6 ratio back on the memory. Im stuck at 400 right now.

bee

whilst its of no help i'd get in touch with the people who sold it you, they sold you an unstable overclocked pc get them to sort it out and for free

Threi

notag
~Kinggi~ said:
CPU Z is telling me it is 2T for command rate, same as the previous everest report. My problem is is I dont know what to set to get my timings and the 10:6 ratio back on the memory. Im stuck at 400 right now.
Looking at your report, the appropriate timings for 533MHz on the ram is 7-7-7-20, while you are at 6-7-7-20.

Xavien

Having a further look over your settings i would advise the following:

AI overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio setting- 8.0
FSB Frequency - 400
Divider: 4:3

That way you can get your overclock but keep your Ram within spec.

~Kinggi~

Banned
YES! I think ive done it to match the machine exactly back to the way that it was shipped to me. Here were the key changes i had to make:

FSB: 400
Dram Frequency: 1334

My ram is 1333 so thats not overclocking it right? I restored my timings to match what the shipped system had and it is now at the 10:6 ratio 667 mhz instead of 1:1 400 mhz.

Im putting some faith that AVA knew how to overclock. :p

Any input on this? Reports seem to match up 1:1 now so im back where i started and learned a little about overclocking too :D

Xavien

~Kinggi~ said:
YES! I think ive done it to match the machine exactly back to the way that it was shipped to me. Here were the key changes i had to make:

FSB: 400
Dram Frequency: 1334

My ram is 1333 so thats not overclocking it right? I restored my timings to match what the shipped system had and it is now at the 10:6 ratio 667 mhz instead of 1:1 400 mhz.

Im putting some faith that AVA knew how to overclock. :p

Any input on this? Reports seem to match up 1:1 now so im back where i started and learned a little about overclocking too :D

1066 Frequency is not overclocking the ram, but if it stays stable, i cant see a problem with it :)

If it happens again try the 4:3 Ratio, it'll give you more stability while maintaining your overclock.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Xavien said:
1066 Frequency is not overclocking the ram, but if it stays stable, i cant see a problem with it :)

If it happens again try the 4:3 Ratio, it'll give you more stability while maintaining your overclock.
so your ssaying setting my dram to 1334 is overclocking my 1333 ddr 3 ram? I thought that was a 1:1 match. 1066 sounds lower to me...

TheExodu5

Banned
The reason CPU-Z reads a lower voltage is because there's always a voltage droop resulting in lower actual voltage.

Usually straight up computer reboots is a result of an unstable overclock. To get the overclock stable, you usually need to raise the CPU voltage.

Xavien

~Kinggi~ said:
so your ssaying setting my dram to 1334 is overclocking my 1333 ddr 3 ram? I thought that was a 1:1 match. 1066 sounds lower to me...

Ah indeed, my mistake, i was going by your report (which has incorrectly said your ram can support 1066Mhz max), the actual RAM modules you have support 1333Mhz (with 9-9-9-24 Latency Timings though).

Top Bottom