• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

It's the taking part that counts! :)

A fun couple of hours for me, zero contact and some really tidy, sensible racing going on around me. Gotta watch that tyre wear though... starts to get sketchy after about 20 laps. Second stint didn't seem as bad so perhaps I was just overcooking it the first time.

Very quiet first stint for me. It was fun logging laps, but I lost touch with the couple of guys Betta was racing with when we did the driver swap. It was just a sea of people not on our lap! That's fine though. I'll happily be the tortoise amongst some of these guys.

I had the opposite experience from Betta, where my second set of tires were completely burnt off 10 laps from my 2nd stop. The first ones lasted much longer. It's hard to say why.

Anyway, good fun as always with the GAF crew!

Ark

Unfortunately, I'm no where near quick enough to race most of the guys in this split. I don't really get along with Sebring anyway, but it hurts being so slow :p

That said, we've kept it really clean so far so hopefully we can finish the race because that's all that really matters ;)

Hey, look on the bright side. If we were in a lesser split, there would be a greater chance of somebody doing something stupid. If we bring her home without a scratch on it, that's a good day in GT3! I think we'd all take it.

Ark

I've put it into the wall coming out of the last turn, and I was running quite consistently too :(

The good news is that the steering angle was only slightly out and the repairs are only eight minutes, so hopefully we'll be fine. Sorry guys :(

Ark

The car was fine after the repairs, although I was running about half a second to a second slower, probably more psychological issues than mechanical though. Betta and myself are finished now, Big Takeover is finishing up the race's final couple of hours.

Overall I really enjoyed this event, even if we were lapping around at the back all by ourselves :D Awesome job by everyone!

We certainly just got plenty of airtime there, unfortunately not for the right reasons. Our car has inadvertently taken out one of the leading HPDs... an awkward pit exit and presumably the spotter didn't work - it has been a bit temperamental. I'm only guessing however, as I wasn't watching it in the sim at the time. I'm sure Mr Takeover will give us a full report at the end ;)

45 mins to go!

Not to worry! Still a success in many ways. I was going to log in and cheer you over the line but my bed was looking increasingly more comfortable into the final hour so I just watched the stream instead!

Ha! Not to worry, it was not the most exciting thing in the world!

Did you see the crash on the stream? I only assumed he came from the pits. He came from the moon from my seat. Why didn't he cut under? Why did he run up beside me?

Oh yes, it was analysed in painful detail unfortunately! I'm sure you can find it if you skip back through the broadcast. I guess he didn't get a spotter call either.

Grrr, sorry team GAF. I'd feel much shame, but I was just as pissed as he must have been. I think the spotter must be shut off in that pit-out area, and it seems neither of us had any idea each other was there.

This is what I saw:

shunt.gif

This is what he saw:

him.gif

Maybe if he's got triples he sees me, but I don't know. He obviously sees nada with my aspect ratio. What terrible luck. A spot sure would have come in handy.

Watevaman

Second gif guy went way too wide on that turn. It's hard to tell who was in front at the time of incident but the second guy (open cockpit) looks like he was ahead, so "technically" he had the line. Shame for both parties involved, though.

Second gif guy went way too wide on that turn. It's hard to tell who was in front at the time of incident but the second guy (open cockpit) looks like he was ahead, so "technically" he had the line. Shame for both parties involved, though.

That's the pit exit.

I dunno, I guess I had the better chance of knowing he'd be there than he with me. He's in my frame, albeit for a fraction of a second. With him off in the corner of pit exit as I was already turned in, I guess I didn't expect him to close the gap to the exit so quickly. The RaceSpot guys killed me, and they're probably right unfortunately. It certainly doesn't look to be his fault.

Ark

It looked more like a miscommunication and he really should have taken that a lot easier considering the stage of the race and how dangerous of a pit exit it is in general. I wouldn't really lay blame on either of you to be honest. The Racespot guys, or Rachael in particular, was totally out of order in what she said. I've learned over time that, despite how often they bang on about 'professionalism', they are incredibly biased when it comes to the regular leading teams/drivers. But on the bright side, the livery got some great air time ;)

Ignoring that though, I'm really happy we managed to finish the race! 21st is pretty decent considering how quick everyone around us was. Awesome job all around!

mrsmr2

He's leaving the pits, surely his fault?

But, 'his view' doesn't look like he is leaving the pits. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is going on.

Watevaman

That's the pit exit.

I dunno, I guess I had the better chance of knowing he'd be there than he with me. He's in my frame, albeit for a fraction of a second. With him off in the corner of pit exit as I was already turned in, I guess I didn't expect him to close the gap to the exit so quickly. The RaceSpot guys killed me, and they're probably right unfortunately. It certainly doesn't look to be his fault.

Oh, I didn't read that he was exiting the pits, I thought he drifted wide. I don't know how iRacing works with the whole nearby car thing, but I think it's on the exiting car to check that they're clear before re-entering the track.

NHale

Yes it is. The problem is that HPD drivers think they own the road and believe GT3 drivers must let them pass anywhere.

It was unbelievable how many times a HPD (which was not fighting with anyone) forced an overtake on the corner before the back straight which ends up with the GT3 driver lifting off and lose at least 1.5 seconds when the HPD could perfectly wait an extra second behind and overtake safely on the back straight. Then crashes happen and people wonder why. It's because of the attitude of thinking GT3 cars are cucumbers and the HPD cars are all Vettels. Racespot coverage is a joke, so no wonder they only cared about their precious cars sponsored by semi-pro teams.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Betta, another quick question about the leather rim.

I'm rewatching the ISR video and was wondering... Is the stitching annoying with the thumb placement?

Last time I had a leather wrapped wheel it was the PWTS and the stitching would hurt your thumbs after a little while.

He's leaving the pits, surely his fault?

But, 'his view' doesn't look like he is leaving the pits. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is going on.
The HPD driver leaves the pits normally at what is a pretty unconventional pit exit. Unlike most tracks, where there is a clearly marked pit exit lane that channels onto the racing surface, there is no such thing at Sebring. You simply have to get up to speed and rejoin as late as possible, i.e. before the concrete becomes dirt, which is what he does.

Oh, I didn't read that he was exiting the pits, I thought he drifted wide. I don't know how iRacing works with the whole nearby car thing, but I think it's on the exiting car to check that they're clear before re-entering the track.
I spent some time today digging through PDFs and there is no specific rule in the iRacing code that says this, nor can I find it in any FIA or IMSA regulations. I believe in this situation both cars can be considered to be 'racing', in which case our car should have left room.

In hindsight, with such a dangerous pit exit, at that stage of the race, the HPD driver is probably thinking that it would have been better to back off and blast past before the next corner. However, backing off is less predictable than simply leaving the pits at the normal pace, so that's arguably not the right thing to do either.

Maybe if he's got triples he sees me, but I don't know.
For what it's worth, he does. G-Sync ones no less! ;) However, I'd say it's the driver on track that would have the better view of someone exiting the pits ahead of them, rather than the other way around. It was the worst possible timing in this case.

Hey Betta, another quick question about the leather rim.

I'm rewatching the ISR video and was wondering... Is the stitching annoying with the thumb placement?

Last time I had a leather wrapped wheel it was the PWTS and the stitching would hurt your thumbs after a little while.
After 4 hours of Sebring, my left thumb was a bit sore. It didn't blister though, and I just did a couple of Skippy races with no problems. I imagine my hands would've been sore no matter what wheel I was using - not used to such long runs!

You can certainly feel the stitching there, and it might be annoying if you're not used to it. I was using another stitched rim before this one, so it doesn't bother me very much, and I'm sure the thread and surrounding leather will become more comfortable over time. I wish they'd made the pattern a bit differently, so that the stitching line was further around the back, but that's not the easiest thing to do!

Megasoum

Banned
After 4 hours of Sebring, my left thumb was a bit sore. It didn't blister though, and I just did a couple of Skippy races with no problems. I imagine my hands would've been sore no matter what wheel I was using - not used to such long runs!

You can certainly feel the stitching there, and it might be annoying if you're not used to it. I was using another stitched rim before this one, so it doesn't bother me very much, and I'm sure the thread and surrounding leather will become more comfortable over time. I wish they'd made the pattern a bit differently, so that the stitching line was further around the back, but that's not the easiest thing to do!

Cool thanks. I really fell like buying a new rim but I can't decide between the leather one or the F1 rim.

In a way the F1 rim is a more logical purchase since it's very different from the stock TX rim so they would complement each other very well.

On the other hand the only thing I'm missing from my old Fanatec wheels is the bit of extra class (and less plastic) than the TM wheels have so the leather one is looking sexy as fuuuuuck.

I wish it was Alcantara leather though...

Raptomex

So what are the essential mods for Grand Prix Legends? Currently I'm looking for any mod to make the game widescreen. Any visual mods I should look for?

Megasoum

Banned
CART Extreme is great. I'm a sucker for open wheel cars using sequential shifters...

Now I need to figure our a good wheel setting (I'm terrible at that)... I tried multiple degrees or rotations but I always feel like I need to turn it too much.

Also I'll have to grab some tracks too.

So what are the essential mods for Grand Prix Legends? Currently I'm looking for any mod to make the game widescreen. Any visual mods I should look for?
Here's a good place to start :)

CART Extreme is great. I'm a sucker for open wheel cars using sequential shifters...

Now I need to figure our a good wheel setting (I'm terrible at that)... I tried multiple degrees or rotations but I always feel like I need to turn it too much.
540 and 22 lock works for me. I guess you could go as high as 25 if you really want it sensitive, but it just prompts more understeer the higher you go.

Megasoum

Banned
Here's a good place to start :)

540 and 22 lock works for me. I guess you could go as high as 25 if you really want it sensitive, but it just prompts more understeer the higher you go.

Yeah I dunno, I started with 540/22 and didn'T really like it... I'll have to play again with it tonight.

Maybe I'll just wait for the rf2 version instead... Less trouble.

Yeah, baby!

I hope more folks officially bring their rF mods up to GSC spec. That half-step forward is a nice, and easy way to keep them relevant. There are several teams, including the CART Factor dudes, that are jumping to rF2/AC too, but that's a much bigger undertaking.

I've already put my pre-order into Amazon for the leather TM rim. As you probably know, it gets released next week here in NA. I wouldn't have ordered it unless for my wheel's unfortunate fall. It's been OK thus far, but there has been weirdness going on with it. Buttons mysteriously being remapped, etc. I've half the mind that I should cancel my order, but today's mysterious problems are tomorrow's haywire ones. I better just bite the bullet now.

Getting off that lame TX rim would be great for you. I wouldn't look at it as a compliment to the F1 rim just because you'll never want to put it back on. Consider your purchase as a replacement.

Betta hooked you up with the relevant link. It's a bit of work to get it all up and running, but hey, it's GPL, of course it's worth it! Yeah, you can do widescreen, and as/more importantly you can get it to run 60fps rather than the original's locked 36fps.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, baby!

I hope more folks officially bring their rF mods up to GSC spec. That half-step forward is a nice, and easy way to keep them relevant. There are several teams, including the CART Factor dudes, that are jumping to rF2/AC too, but that's a much bigger undertaking.

I've already put my pre-order into Amazon for the leather TM rim. As you probably know, it gets released next week here in NA. I wouldn't have ordered unless for my wheel's unfortunate fall. It's been OK thus far, but there has been weirdness going on with it. Buttons mysteriously being remapped, etc. I've half the mind that I should cancel my order, but today's mysterious problems are tomorrow's haywire ones. I better just bite the bullet now.

Getting off that lame TX rim would be great for you. I wouldn't look at it as a compliment to F1 rim just because you'll never want to put it back on. Consider your purchase as a replacement.

Yeah... I'm pretty much decided on the leather rim... Now it's more a money issue lol.. I should be getting close to 180$ monthly tax return later this week so it is very very tempting lol.

I just checked Amazon for the full price with shipping and exchange rate... 240$CDN ughhhhhhh Fucking exchange rate is killing me.

Amazon.ca has the GTE for 140$ but not the TM 28.

lem0n

That's where I got mine.

I thought it may be the best move. How do you like it so far? I broke out my old Driving Force Pro just to try pCARS on my new rig, and it was awesome. I can only imagine with an actual clutch and manual gearbox!

TJP

With all this GSC stuff coming up, I was thinking... it's been a while since we've seen a Talk & Drive with Niels. Sure enough, I was right. Three months :(
This one's for you Shaneus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_mCCMjaao
;)

Speaking of Niels, here is a quote from 2012 taken from a LFS thread:
It seems the trend in sims is to have tire models that are all fancy and complex, which may be a bad thing from a modding point of view. I have absolutely no idea how I can ever design tires for rFactor 2 without some serious tools being released for it. Even then it may take hours per tire before you even know what it does..

I'm not against rF2 or other sims but I hope at some point they realize its more about having something flexible and somewhat transparant to mod rather than having the most complex finite element based einstein model. :)
I wonder if he's softened his views in the period since then.

Top Bottom