• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Yeouch TJP! Thanks for the quite synopsis.
Upscaled 360 game with some fancy lighting you say? So like MotoGP14 then. Ha!

Will still try the demo when I get back home after this week.

Looks like I won't import this day one after all.
Please download the demo and report back - PS4 or PC it's the same game; I'll be interested to read if Ride is for you. To be fair to Milestone, there are people who really enjoy the demo. Like a jilted lover, I can't find it in me to really like what Milestone produces nowadays. I pine for days when they pushed the genre forward and cared for their PC customers, now their focus appears to be console first and PC a long way down the priority list.

To me, Ride is take #2 of 'Super-Bikes: Riding Challenge' - how many people remember that release? Or any of Milestone games apart from the SBK and MotoGP games? I bet all of three people, myself included.

I've been speaking with a guy who is friends with a dev at Milestone and he says that Loeb Evo rally will be the true 'next-gen' game from Milestone and that Ride suffers from being a 'cross-gen' game. I hope he's right.

Edit: motherload of SimBin (and others) related mods here: ftp://87.229.14.12/hsw/

friday

rF2:

Atlanta Motorsports Park WIP from the track team:

It's is narrow, so I doubt it will be the best track for racing, but its a super fun track to turn laps on. Had my first track day there this last weekend and it was a blast. The carrousel and kink leading onto the front straight are particularly exciting.

Shame about Ride btw, I just tried out the demo. Why do they make motorcycle physics so stiff and slow. It is the complete opposite of actual motorcycle riding.

Megasoum

Banned
Ohhh yessss!

http://www.virtualr.net/cart-factor-game-stock-car-previews

CART Factor for Game Stock Car – Previews

Racing Line Developments popular CART Factor mod for rFactor is coming to Game Stock Car Extreme as Patrick Giranthon is working on an authorized conversion of the open wheel racing mod.

Below are plenty of previews, showing the mod’s four different car models sporting plenty of great-looking details.

Originally created by Racing Line Developments and released for rFactor in 2009, CART Factor features the full field of the 1998 CART season.

Included Car Models

Reynard 98i
Swift 009.c
Penske PC27-98
Lola T98/00

The original rFactor mod can be found here, the mod will also be converted to rFactor 2 as well.

Dave_6

LOL of course, after I buy rFactor last night just for that mod and then spent a bit installing it afterwards. Oh well.

I won't hesitate to get the SCE version though as it IMO is much better to work with.

Edit: I'm probably mistaken, but the rFactor version didn't come with any tracks. Is that right or did I mess up the install?

Dave_6

CART Factor in GSC? I can hear Empty Box spuffing his pants from here.

Haha no kidding! His videos are what got me to buy rFactor just for that mod. The CART series is/was possibly my favorite racing series ever. Such awesome machines.

Dave_6

The CART Factor site has a small list of tracks, but somewhere like rFCentral will have just about everything.

The easiest way to do it might be to reference the '98 season wiki, and Google search the track name + rFactor. For example, Homestead.

Thanks a ton for posting that link to the rld site! I googled Racing Line Development last night but didn't have any luck finding an official site except for a couple dead links.

It was super late and I was dead tired so I was probably simply overlooking it.

Ark

Long overdue! Looks very promising.

I made a video today:

https://youtu.be/3_VcwibdOb4

Awesome video!

That's fucking amazing. This game couldn't possibly ask for a better trailer.

What the game/service really needs, desperately even, is a community manager. I've never seen a service that would benefit so tremendously from more interaction with it's community, but for some reason they refuse. Even it was just weekly updates, or a weekly Q&A or something with various staff. That's what the game really needs, imo.

Wait...you have the new fancy rim?

I'm so jelly
I do indeed, thanks to my association with Sim Racer magazine.

Awesome video!

What the game/service really needs, desperately even, is a community manager. I've never seen a service that would benefit so tremendously from more interaction with it's community, but for some reason they refuse. Even it was just weekly updates, or a weekly Q&A or something with various staff. That's what the game really needs, imo.
Thanks! Yeah they should do more stuff like this, but as Gardner says, this is the culmination of years of discussion, so perhaps more regular updates just wouldn't be particularly exciting.

I hope you're watching the real Sebring event Ark? ;)

Ark

Thanks! Yeah they should do more stuff like this, but as Gardner says, this is the culmination of years of discussion, so perhaps more regular updates just wouldn't be particularly exciting.

I hope you're watching the real Sebring event Ark? ;)

Ah I totally forgot about that. I was too busy practising & racing at Sebring :p I think my PB is around a 2:01.7xx now, and my optimal is a 2:00.9xx. Finished the 12pm race in 4th, so I'll take that result for the week.

I've been trying out the Star Mazda, but I cannot for the life of me figure that car out. I can get within reach of most of the field, I've got a PB of 34.777 at Interlagos, but being consistent is ridiculously difficult.

Ah I totally forgot about that. I was too busy practising & racing at Sebring :p I think my PB is around a 2:01.7xx now, and my optimal is a 2:00.9xx. Finished the 12pm race in 4th, so I'll take that result for the week.
Sounds like some good pace! We should practice the driver changes sometime... and it would be good to have a fourth driver... any takers? :)

And yeah... I didn't get on with the Star Mazda either, although the last time I tried it was just after they made the big tyre model change a few seasons ago and it was frankly ridiculous. I believe it is better now.

I do indeed, thanks to my association with Sim Racer magazine.

I know Betta refuses to pimp his shit, but this guy is really doing some terrific work with this magazine. He's got a bunch of features in the current issue (AC review, rF2 interview, beginner's guide, etc).

If you like his videos, you'll find his writing is next level. No GAF-Goggles here, it really is very good. The rest of the magazine isn't as hot, but hopefully they can fix that going forward.

It only makes sense to buy the printed version if you live in the UK, but you can get digital versions on iOS and Android. Search for "simracer" on the App Store (One word, and one word only. Two words returns nothing // You guys should really fix this // App Store search sucks balls). Six bucks US.

Sounds like some good pace! We should practice the driver changes sometime... and it would be good to have a fourth driver... any takers? :)

That is good pace!

I would really like to get some practice in with these driver changes. I don't want to learn on the fly. I'll botch it for sure! I'll happily buy us a hosted room(s) whenever you guys would like to mess around ahead of time. Just shout.

Yeah, if we had one more guy that would be great. Come on, I know there's got to be interested party almost us somewhere!

I'd join in if I had the time. And if my sim-racing-pc had an internet connection. And if I had an iRacing subscription.

Still without a connection? Must rectify!

You, or anyone else that may be interested, can get a trial sub for next to nothing. That part is fairly easy.

The guys/gals living in Asia connect to the AU servers, and as far as I know that works pretty well. I can look into it more if you'd like. It's not like an iRacing sub would be no good to you. Whether you want one or not is obviously a different story.

Perhaps not now, but one day we'll hook up for some racing.

Dave_6

Just completed my first ever iRacing race with the Miata cup car at Summit Point. Qualified 3rd, got passed by a couple folks right off the start. Got back up to 4th after one guy lost it and went into the trees. Was on 3rd places' bumper and messed up myself and went off track. Recovered in 8th with the car out of alignment lol. Wound up 6th even with the car being off. I'm pretty happy but disappointed that I screwed up. My best lap (in practice) was a low 1:27.1xx and the guy that won got down in the low 1:26s.

Ark

That is good pace!

I would really like to get some practice in with these driver changes. I don't want to learn on the fly. I'll botch it for sure! I'll happily buy us a hosted room(s) whenever you guys would like to mess around ahead of time. Just shout.

Yeah, if we had one more guy that would be great. Come on, I know there's got to be interested party almost us somewhere!

The only day this week I'll be able to hop on is Friday; I accepted some late overtime so I can justify the T300 I'm going to buy eventually :p Actually, aren't there official Road Warrior practise sessions during the week? We could see if we could make one of those; though I don't know if they're team or individual sessions. Either way, I'll definitely be on all of Friday evening for some last-minute practise.

EDIT: I've already used driver swaps during the Spa 24 Hour last year, so if you guys want to practise them without me go ahead, I'm well versed in how they work :)

Just completed my first ever iRacing race with the Miata cup car at Summit Point. Qualified 3rd, got passed by a couple folks right off the start. Got back up to 4th after one guy lost it and went into the trees. Was on 3rd places' bumper and messed up myself and went off track. Recovered in 8th with the car out of alignment lol. Wound up 6th even with the car being off. I'm pretty happy but disappointed that I screwed up. My best lap (in practice) was a low 1:27.1xx and the guy that won got down in the low 1:26s.

The thing I've learned from iRacing is that you make the most positions by going slightly slower than your fastest time. Staying on the track is more important than getting on the guy-in-front-of-you's bumper. I went from 6th to 4th in an earlier GT3 race simply because the two guys in front of me both span and hit a wall :) I've found that aiming for 0x incidents and consistent times has netted me faaar better results than going for qualy laps for 40 minutes.

The only day this week I'll be able to hop on is Friday; I accepted some late overtime so I can justify the T300 I'm going to buy eventually :p Actually, aren't there official Road Warrior practise sessions during the week? We could see if we could make one of those; though I don't know if they're team or individual sessions. Either way, I'll definitely be on all of Friday evening for some last-minute practise.

EDIT: I've already used driver swaps during the Spa 24 Hour last year, so if you guys want to practise them without me go ahead, I'm well versed in how they work :)

Sounds good. If we can manage to all get together great, if not I think Betta and I are going to at least try and explore doing a driver swap simulation. If it quickly devolves into shenanigans that's fine too ;)

We can talk schedules and stuff at some point later in the week.

The thing I've learned from iRacing is that you make the most positions by going slightly slower than your fastest time. Staying on the track is more important than getting on the guy-in-front-of-you's bumper. I went from 6th to 4th in an earlier GT3 race simply because the two guys in front of me both span and hit a wall :) I've found that aiming for 0x incidents and consistent times has netted me faaar better results than going for qualy laps for 40 minutes.

Truth. 0x races should be your goal.

Dave_6

I have Cart Factor installed and working on my non-Steam rFactor install. It's currently the only mod installed on it. I've read that it's much better to create multiple installs for the sake of not having any issues installing a ton of mods together. For some reason I've had a hard time figuring out how to do this (PC gaming is still a little new to me). I found this a few mins ago: http://www.simracingnz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=708

Is that pretty much all I need to follow? Doesn't seem too complicated I guess.

EDIT: Sorry for all the noob questions I've asked lately!

LeBoef

racing clean is the first step. later on you ll need to race clean and hit qualy laps for 30min, if you want to win in top SOF races.

Ark

I have spent far too long working on this; unlike the GAF livery I did for the RUF, I decided to try and make the McLaren look as professional as I could. I've gone through three or four different iterations, and I've found the design that, I think, is almost perfect. Let me know what you think!

cbr0XyR.png

drJZIVG.jpg

vfNeLLc.jpg

bCRdkvK.png

sAomScj.png

EDIT: Man, I always forget how heavy the imgur compression is. And yeah, I totally stole the Motul SuperGT design ;D

Megasoum

Banned
I have spent far too long working on this; unlike the GAF livery I did for the RUF, I decided to try and make the McLaren look as professional as I could. I've gone through three or four different iterations, and I've found the design that, I think, is almost perfect. Let me know what you think!

EDIT: Man, I always forget how heavy the imgur compression is. And yeah, I totally stole the Motul SuperGT design ;D

That looks fucking amazing.

It's for what? AC?

Dave_6

I meant to reply to your post, Dave. Did you get your multiple installs figured out? It looks like you were on the right track.

Working on it now. Currently downloading the DRM Revival mod but it's going to be a few mins before it's done.

Edit: Well I've screwed something up. I'm tired and not gonna mess with it any longer. Think I'm just gonna stick with Cart Factor as my only mod (for rFactor).

It seems like Trading Paints may be acting a little funky with teams. For instance, neither my default team, nor the GAF team show up on their website. Thread.

I think we should be able to manually do it if need be. I'm going to check on how to do that because it's not immediately apparent to me at the moment.

--------

I'm sure nobody wants to spend the time painting up a custom driver suit. I know I don't, but (and I bet you already know this from doing the car) here are the color codes for GAF:

Orange - #F7971D
Dark gray - #333333
Light gray - #EEEEEE

You can use the iRacing tools to make a quick and dirty suit for our team. Throw your blue in there too if you'd rather that.

Zeth

T3PA-Pro pedals available soon? They seem like a great idea for someone who would prefer carpet-friendly pedals. I thought the T500 pedals had a pretty decent reputation. I think I might go with them over the clubsports as I doubt I'll be able to hard mount anything in the near future.

Another quick Thrustmaster question: How does the stock rim on the T300 compare to the available add-ons and the new GTE? In the GTE's case is it mostly the leather/construction quality? I've been pretty impressed by the stock rim:

Megasoum

Banned
T3PA-Pro pedals available soon? They seem like a great idea for someone who would prefer carpet-friendly pedals. I thought the T500 pedals had a pretty decent reputation. I think I might go with them over the clubsports as I doubt I'll be able to hard mount anything in the near future.

Another quick Thrustmaster question: How does the stock rim on the T300 compare to the available add-ons and the new GTE? In the GTE's case is it mostly the leather/construction quality? I've been pretty impressed by the stock rim:

Never seen it in person but it really looks like the standard (non leather) GTE rims.

In other news I've been feeling the urge to play some kind of career lately. pCARS has a great career mode but since we have to delete our profile every day right now you can't really make any serious progress.

I'm almost tempted to reinstall one of the Cody F1 games lol... The earlier games were the less broken but they are all using G4WL.... Also I hate to have to deal with KERS and DRS.... Too many buttons to manage while racing, its annoying. I wish there was an automatic driving aid for those.

Shaneus

With all this GSC stuff coming up, I was thinking... it's been a while since we've seen a Talk & Drive with Niels. Sure enough, I was right. Three months :(

Edit: I'm not sure what this is, but maybe be of interest to some people?
http://simracingoz.com/?page_id=1959

UPDATE-22/3/15

REIZA Studios have changed there support to the Project. Previously Reiza Studios were going to work on the "Holding" and put it into the GSCE Game and then SRA were to bring the 4 other cars as a pack to join it. But Reiza decided that the time to do this will impede the whole Project as well as Reiza's other plans for Cars and Tracks. So Reiza Studios will now be providing the Physics and Sounds with Official Licensing to SRA for official use and SRA will bring the whole 5 car pack as a Mod for GSCE.
UPDATE- 24/3/15

The Indegogo Kickstarter program will kick into LIVE status within 24hrs. This will ensure we will be able to get the Financial requirements needed to finish the Mod program.
So I have no idea what mods they're talking about or even exactly what that site is for (as far as an Australian league goes). May be official V8 Supercars? Or unofficial? No clue at all.

Ark

It seems like Trading Paints may be acting a little funky with teams. For instance, neither my default team, nor the GAF team show up on their website. Thread.

I think we should be able to manually do it if need be. I'm going to check on how to do that because it's not immediately apparent to me at the moment.

--------

I'm sure nobody wants to spend the time painting up a custom driver suit. I know I don't, but (and I bet you already know this from doing the car) here are the color codes for GAF:

Orange - #F7971D
Dark gray - #333333
Light gray - #EEEEEE

You can use the iRacing tools to make a quick and dirty suit for our team. Throw your blue in there too if you'd rather that.

I've added the paint to Trading Paints and also uploaded it as our official paint for the NeoGAF team. Does it show up for you now? It might have just needed a day or two to update the site.

Here it is in all of it's Trading Paints glory!

I'll get my race suit coloured correctly, too. EDIT: My driver is all coloured correctly now :)

Top Bottom