• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Spookie

Just want to say you should all really try that Raceroom demo. It's not as fancy as Project CARS but it works a damn sight better at the moment!

Spookie

What about it works better?

The AI pit correctly and don't dive bomb me on every corner? It also runs on AMD cards. :D

Hopefully with the AI tweaks next week we'll be able to apply rules to custom championships and they won't break intermittently on some longer corners.

LilJoka

What about it works better?

Well Pcars issues:
Physics
Cars crash into invisible obstacles
Not enough tire wear (compared to AI)
AI cars too quick in the rain
Car suddenly downshifts multiple gears
Gear ratios change on their own

Render
Cars stuttering during a replay
AMD performance not optimal NEW DRIVERS
Guiding Line not visible WORKAROUND
AI runs with lights off in the rain and fog
Cars missing in the replay
Distortion of Reflections in external camera views
Stutter even with high FPS WORKAROUND
Nights too bright
Cockpits are too bright from other headlights
FOV change changes Cockpit Exposure
SLI potential not fully used

Yeah and a whole lot more
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22315-Known-Issues-Collective-Thread-(PC)-Not-for-bug-reporting!-Updated-28-05

Makikou

iRacing announces a Licensing Deal with Mercedes-Benz:

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/...ounces-licensing-agreement-with-mercedes-benz

The new Mercedes-AMG GT3 will be coming to iRacing :)

mercedes-amg-gt3--2015-geneva-auto-show-live-photos_100502641_l.jpg

SmokyDave

Gotta say that although I'm digging Project Cars, I picked up Assetto Corsa a few days after PCars launched and I think I prefer that. The Cobra in particular is just sublime and AC has some fantastic P2P tracks to stretch it's legs.

Not really sure why I'm mentioning any of this. I think it's because I've transitioned from Race07 and rFactor to the exciting but unfamiliar world of the newer sims.

Atrophis

Gotta say that although I'm digging Project Cars, I picked up Assetto Corsa a few days after PCars launched and I think I prefer that. The Cobra in particular is just sublime and AC has some fantastic P2P tracks to stretch it's legs.

Not really sure why I'm mentioning any of this. I think it's because I've transitioned from Race07 and rFactor to the exciting but unfamiliar world of the newer sims.

Join the winning team. Get Game Stock Car.

I've got a serious car-crush on the AMG GT. I'll be excited for it when it shows up eventually.

GT3 is a terrific category of race car and sim car, but I'm really starting to feel fatigued by their omnipresence.

Ark

I've got a serious car-crush on the AMG GT. I'll be excited for it when it shows up eventually.

GT3 is a terrific category of race car and sim car, but I'm really starting to feel fatigued by their omnipresence.

I can deinfitely share that sentiment. I've completed less than ten race weeks in GT3 because work has been getting in the way of my sim racing, and whilst I do adore the series and the McLaren in particular, I'm seriously looking forward to the new GT1 category to bring some variety to my iRacing career.

I won't be over-extending myself next season. I'm going to aim to finish 8 races in both the Aston GT1 and the McLaren MP4. I haven't actually completed a whole season since my first RUF Cup season last year.

TJP

GSC Extreme

Version 1.33 Released including Superkart series & Suzuka:

Car added:
Added 250cc Superkart series (make sure to set steering rotation between 180º-220º for accurate steering ratio)

Track added:
Added Kansai (2 layouts)

Features & fixes:
Improved AI paths for Interlagos (all layouts);
Fixed fuel estimates for Guaporé;
Updated curb sounds for Marcas;
Various minor physics & AI updates;
Minor optimization for Buenos Aires.

Spookie

GSCEs big suprise next month is super v8's. They have created a real feel plug in for it. Then they forgot to remove it from this patch. Whoops.

Finally super v8s that don't drive like they are on ice. ;)

Ark

The worst feeling in the world is practising at Spa in a new car for several hours on the penultimate day of the iRacing week, and then totalling your car into the wall at the bus stop on lap one because you misjudged how soon the car in front of you would brake.

So many hours of practise resulting in a loss of over 100 IR and a bunch of SR. Dammit. I'm never going to reach 2500 IR ;_;

Btw, the season 3 schedules for GT1 and GT3 are sexy. I might have to commit myself to completing both series, since I own all of those tracks except Phillip Island (which I'll pick up when I buy the Aston).

Arucardo

Been doing laps of the tourist layout of Nordschleife in AC today and decided I'd record something.

Both videos were my first try in the particular car and it shows (mainly trying to find a 6th gear in a car that doesn't have one, missing a shift or two, weird choices on which gear to use, etc). Nothing spectacular but I definitely had fun doing it. Both done with no assists, manual gears (H-gated + clutch) and track set to fast condition.

Mazda 787B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H7tM4BlWCc

Ferrari F40 Stage 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnLTXth-zUU

Forgot to change the profile for the TrackIR in the Mazda run so you see a lot more head movement than usual.

The worst feeling in the world is practising at Spa in a new car for several hours on the penultimate day of the iRacing week, and then totalling your car into the wall at the bus stop on lap one because you misjudged how soon the car in front of you would brake.

So many hours of practise resulting in a loss of over 100 IR and a bunch of SR. Dammit. I'm never going to reach 2500 IR ;_;

Btw, the season 3 schedules for GT1 and GT3 are sexy. I might have to commit myself to completing both series, since I own all of those tracks except Phillip Island (which I'll pick up when I buy the Aston).

Oh, I like that schedule layout. Saved.

I really liked your videos, Arucardo. I didn't know you had a trackIR. Very cool!

Incredible video. I was surprised by the results.

Better motors equal better ffb even at the highest of highend. If all three wheels were on equal footing with their motors, it would be interesting to see if Accuforce would be seen as having a software advantage. It just seemed to complicate things really. Canned effects with your direct-drive wheel? Come on now.

With the OSW project, it's easy to see why the price will never come down on these things. These servo motors are insanely expensive!

-------

Atlanta Motorsports Park is amazing! As are the rebuilt DW12, and EGT update.

-------

I had very little interest in superkarts until watching that video. They look like a riot!

Box uses a CSW v2.

Ark

The Road Warrior series is heading to Montreal next weekend for the Canadian RUF Cup!

Driving the C-Spec in the RUF Cup is really where I found myself really enjoying iRacing, so I'm really looking forward to revisiting the car at one of my favourite tracks.

The new Race Room Racing Experience UI is out!! (oh and some other less important additions/fixes too). NEW UI NEW UI!

Should I post the change log? The mfer is gigantic! Nah, here's a link instead.

The servers seem to be choking on something, but I did get some time with it before that. I was mighty impressed with the tranny, AI, and of course the UI. I did find quite a few bugs and weirdness with the update though. Hopefully they'll get that straightened away quickly.

Jilt

I love the way these Sector 3 guys communicate!

We have received reports from users getting the 503 error on start-up and after gameplay. The issue turns out to be more complex then we initially thought and hoped for.

After a long and hard deployment day, we believe it is better that we continue to fix this tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes and brain.

We will have a stint of much needed shut eye and be back guns blazing in the office tomorrow morning first thing to squash this one.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused to the people that are eager to get in and check the latest and greatest out.

Signed,

The Sector3 Studios team

On paper it'll struggle against Forza and GT in terms of content, but Kunos appear to have that magic ingredient that draws people in - they've proved several times that they can punch above their weight in terms of getting licences, and I think the same will happen when attracting the console crowd. I imagine from a console gamer's perspective it's something a bit different, exotic... they're coming from the mysterious land of PC sims, a hardcore foundation, a highly respected team, an indie success story, Italian passion... it's an appealing mix. And like PCARS, with still no sign of GT, it could be another big seller on PS4 in particular.

Mascot

So.. what exactly are the barriers for unofficial user-generated-but-Kunos-converted content being released as DLC on consoles..?

Or how about if Kunos released robust course-making tools as part of the console releases, Kunos vet them and pick the best, then users just download them like, for example, Far Cry 2 maps were downloaded on prev-gen consoles?

Megasoum

Banned
So.. what exactly are the barriers for unofficial user-generated-but-Kunos-converted content being released as DLC on consoles..?

Or how about if Kunos released robust course-making tools as part of the console releases, Kunos vet them and pick the best, then users just download them like, for example, Far Cry 2 maps were downloaded on prev-gen consoles?

Lots of costs and legal issues.

It costs a LOT of money to release DLC on consoles.

There was talk from the console makers at one point about how they would welcome mods, but that's never come to fruit. For a variety of reasons I'm sure.

Racing games are not a good fit from their perspective though. The only thing people mod are properties owned by other companies. This stuff has somehow managed to stay mostly under the radar on PC. However high profile consoles, and user mods have a very public relationship.

Ask PD, a company that runs into the hundreds, how the robust course making is coming along :) Kunos is like eight Italian dudes shacked up in the infield at Vallelunga!

Megasoum

Banned
What about my second suggestion?

Sorry was busy with work all morning.

So yeah.. Sure they could do a course creator but this would also cost a LOT of money in manpower and time to create it and I'm sure it would still be very limited since it has to be doable using a controller.

Shaneus

Lots of costs and legal issues.

It costs a LOT of money to release DLC on consoles.
Wasn't there going to be some thing about a developer-run store on either PSN or One or something? Or am I making that up?
In the very least, they might have a way around it, like a course creator that no-one can use, but Kunos releases tracks/cars through for free or something. I know you can get level creators for one of the Trials games and that golf sim.

Megasoum

Banned
Wasn't there going to be some thing about a developer-run store on either PSN or One or something? Or am I making that up?
In the very least, they might have a way around it, like a course creator that no-one can use, but Kunos releases tracks/cars through for free or something. I know you can get level creators for one of the Trials games and that golf sim.

I level creator that only Kunos could use would be what they already have which mean they would need to pay for cert and QA for every DLC tracks they release. You can't put something in a game that is not actually accessible to the end user. That would be considered debug features and that's forbidden.

And yeah, like I said earlier, it's would be possible to do an actual track creator that people could use to share tracks around but that would be a SHIT TON of work to do and would be limited feature wise since it has to be simple enough to be used by "normal" people with a controller.

Top Bottom