• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

friday

The gameplay on display was filmed via string and a tin can. It hardly represents pcars and a better quality video could have been used to compare the two games.

It looks like the two source videos have been recorded at different FPS or something, it just looks off to me :).

It's true, the pcars footage looks like it is running without AA and at like 25 FPS. It's like the guy has a much better computer and capture setup now than when he recorded the pcars stuff.

The track list for Race Room seems kinda weak and a little pricy to buy one track. I guess I was expecting a bit more.

Watevaman

With the open beta can we post media from the closed beta or does the NDA still apply? I really want to post some stuff but I don't want to break the NDA.

Shaneus

Wait wait wait wait wait... how are people deducing that from an R3E trailer (keep in mind I haven't seen it yet) that GTR3 is completely off the cards? Did I miss something?

TJP

SimBin have never stated GTR 3 is not coming; anytime the GTR subject is mentioned, the response has been that RR-RE is current focus.

Looking at the RaceRoom announcement, it seems to be yet another PC sim with focus on GT and track cars, so here's a stupid question: With GT and Forza selling millions of copies on consoles, is the market for such a game on PC really that small, that sim developers can't even be arsed to add road cars?

1-D_FTW

Looking at the RaceRoom announcement, it seems to be yet another PC sim with focus on GT and track cars, so here's a stupid question: With GT and Forza selling millions of copies on consoles, is the market for such a game on PC really that small, that sim developers can't even be arsed to add road cars?

Don't really get this complaint. Which of the major sims don't have road cars? It's a pretty small list. Something like GTR can't be counted, since, well, it's based on the GTR license. I guess you could argue PC sims don't have a ton of road cars, but they don't have a ton of any cars. They definitely subscribe to the less is more school (making what they have really good in comparison to the consoles). Upside is they can have vastly superior handling physics. So that's that. Each has to make sacrifices. Consoles need to appeal to huge audiences to turn a profit and PC sims have to make the most of what they can include. Which means the car list is small, but they don't have to worry about making sacrifices to appeal to the mainstream audience.

TJP

Well said 1-D_FTW.

Really disappointed with SimBin's decision to charge €1 for the 'Get Real' mode. Cost isn't a factor but the principal behind it is.

Three60

Haven't tried RR yet but just to be clear, this game has no career mode, no A.I., no multiplayer right? Just time trials? Will try it, but in a long run definitly not for me..

SimRaceWay has plenty road cars and might I add the best car list of any PC sim > https://www.simraceway.com/cars?locale=en&page=1

Spookie

Haven't tried RR yet but just to be clear, this game has no career mode, no A.I., no multiplayer right? Just time trials? Will try it, but in a long run definitly not for me..

There is a SP & MP option there in the menu but neither are selectable at the moment. There is AI in the game when you practice on the tracks too. It's probably going to be coming later.

SimRaceWay has plenty road cars and might I add the best car list of any PC sim > https://www.simraceway.com/cars?locale=en&page=1

But it only has 100 people playing it at peak times. :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
But it only has 100 people playing it at peak times. :(

And the graphics are so depressing :(

But yeah, it is odd that there aren't any PC sims with lots of road cars. Maybe all of the developers think the PC is the home of all of the track car fans? I'm assuming their logic goes something like "PC sim racing is pretty niche. Track/GT cars are even more hardcore and niche. Sounds good."

Spookie

But yeah, it is odd that there aren't any PC sims with lots of road cars. Maybe all of the developers think the PC is the home of all of the track car fans?

Possibly the licencing fees it costs to get all the cars might put them off.

Edit: HURRAR got SR of 4+ and earned my self an instant promotion to Class D in iRacing. FINALLY. Tempted to run 4 more races so I can go straight to C next week. Though being currently out of work I'm not sure I could afford it!

Three60

And the graphics are so depressing :(

But yeah, it is odd that there aren't any PC sims with lots of road cars. Maybe all of the developers think the PC is the home of all of the track car fans? I'm assuming their logic goes something like "PC sim racing is pretty niche. Track/GT cars are even more hardcore and niche. Sounds good."

Graphics engine from 2005...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Possibly the licencing fees it costs to get all the cars might put them off.

Ah yeah. I knew there was a good reason I had thought of earlier. Haha. Well hopefully with these new PC sims coming out someone with a big budget realizes the potential of PC and can put out a Forza/Gran Turismo-esque game. One can dream... Hah
Or maybe I should stop being cheap and just buy an Xbox

Spookie

Ah yeah. I knew there was a good reason I had thought of earlier. Haha. Well hopefully with these new PC sims coming out someone with a big budget realizes the potential of PC and can put out a Forza/Gran Turismo-esque game. One can dream... Hah
Or maybe I should stop being cheap and just buy an Xbox

I've never found Forza much of a sim tbh. Last time I checked it had awful tire physics and built in assists you cannot turn off. Project CARS will likely have a lot of retail factory cars if shift is anything to go by.

DD

I've never found Forza much of a sim tbh. Last time I checked it had awful tire physics and built in assists you cannot turn off. Project CARS will likely have a lot of retail factory cars if shift is anything to go by.

They fixed it in Forza 4. It's really awesome!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Really disappointed with SimBin's decision to charge €1 for the 'Get Real' mode. Cost isn't a factor but the principal behind it is.

Whoah is this for real? If so then they can go fuck right off with that. Seems they're trying to emulate iracing's pricing model but they're going to fail miserably. I only do it with iracing because of its sophisticated and sanctioned online environment, and the racing is fairly serious and clean. If AC or PCARS can provide me with that eventually, then I''ll jump in head first

Shaneus

What's 'Get Real' mode?

I'm really not digging their focus on a F2P game. I just want one of the big sim companies to release a complete package that is self-contained. So far, there's nothing that isn't 50-billion years old :/

Shaneus

The real physics engine without aids or switchable aids like the 6 setting traction control which is adjustable on the fly. It is a reference to the GTR days.
So RaceRoom is a F2P game with an obvious focus on sim racers, but they're charging people to access the actual "sim" mode of the game. Ridiculous.

So the car selection in Simraceway is phenomenal, and the pricing seems kind of fair as well. Track list looks decent and while the graphics are hardly of todays standars, they look ok. Why doesn't anyone care about this game?

1-D_FTW

So the car selection in Simraceway is phenomenal, and the pricing seems kind of fair as well. Track list looks decent and while the graphics are hardly of todays standars, they look ok. Why doesn't anyone care about this game?

Personally, because I already own rfactor. Feel no desire to pay for the same mods I can download free and legally.

Three60

OK lets see about this >

Maserati MC12 GT1 > 12 $
Audi R18 TDI > 12 $
McLaren F1 LM > 12.50 $
Koenigsegg Agera R > 17 $
McLaren Racing MP4-25 > 19 $
McLaren Racing MP4-27 > 20 $
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport > 25 $
Bugatti Type 51 GP > 35 $
McLaren Racing MP4/4 > 38 $

?? Aw Hell NO..

These are just some examples, if you want all available cars thats 250+ $ easily..

TJP

While Three60 is correct about the high end car cost a mental amount, Simraceway has many cars that cost under a dollar and 52 cars are less than $3. Further, Simraceway offer car packs that further reduce the cost per car and 'Test Drive Tuesday' is usually a high cost car that one can drive for free and buy at half of its original price (and sometimes as high as 75% off). Simraceway don't charge a single cent for any of the tracks which is a great gesture too.

paskowitz

While Three60 is correct about the high end car cost a mental amount, Simraceway has many cars that cost under a dollar and 52 cars are less than $3. Further, Simraceway offer car packs that further reduce the cost per car and 'Test Drive Tuesday' is usually a high cost car that one can drive for free and buy at half of its original price (and sometimes as high as 75% off). Simraceway don't charge a single cent for any of the tracks which is a great gesture too.

I have spent about $12 on SRW and have like 15+ cars. Pretty good value if you ask me. The physics have improved a lot since last year. It is a shame the graphics suck so much because it could actually be a decent game.

TJP

I have spent about $12 on SRW and have like 15+ cars. Pretty good value if you ask me. The physics have improved a lot since last year. It is a shame the graphics suck so much because it could actually be a decent game.
I spent $20 and don't regret a single purchase I've made. Simraceway offers a very good experience (very good FFB and very solid physics) however the graphics are becoming dated. I find it strange that the SRW fantasy tracks are visually awful whilst the real world tracks are very well recreated - surely they can do both well.

I hope ISI licence their isiMotor 2.5 to third parties as rF2 can look very nice as many of the mods show and the new physics and tyre models are far more advanced than the older versions of the isiMotor as used by Reiza (GSC), SimBin (GTR, GTL & Race) and Ignite Game Technologies (SRW). One can only imagine the results of Reiza's upcoming Senna game using the rF2 engine or SRW with a graphical overhaul...

Anyone been playing Euro Truck Sim? I've been having problems with it since it came out and never found a solution.

Basically the game always thinks the pedal is on full speed, I've restarted the Logitech profiler, plugged out and in etc. No avail.

Arucardo

Is GTR3 still coming?

That's like asking the iRacing devs to release a 40/50 dollar game that has all the tracks and most of the cars. It makes no business sense for SimBin to make and release GTR3 any time soon with RaceRoom coming out, it's not like the two would have completely different cars and tracks.

ruttyboy

Never connected my G25 to a PC before, but was trying to test my wheel quickly (it was having calibration problems with GT5) so downloaded the demo of rFactor 1,

The calibration seems fine but the FF on rFactor is totally pish. Am I missing something? Do I need to get specific Logitech drivers for the wheel as rFactor recognised it fine so I assumed not?

Arucardo

Never connected my G25 to a PC before, but was trying to test my wheel quickly (it was having calibration problems with GT5) so downloaded the demo of rFactor 1,

The calibration seems fine but the FF on rFactor is totally pish. Am I missing something? Do I need to get specific Logitech drivers for the wheel as rFactor recognised it fine so I assumed not?

Don't even remember what the default ffb feels like now in rFactor, so used to having mods with realfeel(custom plugin of sorts for a different feeling ffb) support.

Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 are great ways to test the FFB on your wheel.

1-D_FTW

I've never tried running a G27 without Logitech drivers. If it feels that off, I'd definitely download and install. I always preferred using the RealFeel plugin with the original rfactor, but I tried the demo first and I don't remember the FFB being bad. So in all likelihood, that's your problem.

1-D_FTW

Did you reverse the force feedback (put it to a negative value) when testing?

Pretty sure you have to when using the default FFB profile.

Haha. Simplest answer is always the best. I bet that's it.

Does anyone here actually run their G25/27 without Logitech drivers though? Even with Windows 7/8, I still thought those things were mandatory.

ruttyboy

Did you reverse the force feedback (put it to a negative value) when testing?

Pretty sure you have to when using the default FFB profile.

Well, I installed the drivers and it was different but not better, in fact I'd struggle to even describe it as force feedback, just seemed to be a centering force, no change in the wheel on the grass, in the sand, when losing traction, nothing. Sticking it to -100% didn't seem to do anything either.

Thanks for the help anyway.

1-D_FTW

It's definitely not normal. If you want to post screenshots, I'm sure we could spot what the issue was.

But as someone else mentioned, if you're just doing it for testing purposes, download the Dirt 2 demo (available on Steam). That has guaranteed good FFB out of the box.

Top Bottom