• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

ruttyboy

I've uninstalled it now, sorry.

It was just for testing though and I didn't realise there was a demo for Dirt 2 so thanks for the tip, I'll download it.

ruttyboy

OH FFS, today is not my day.

Download the Dirt 2 demo, try to launch it and it just takes me back to the store page for it. A google tells me I need to install GFWL to get it to work, well fuck that.

I give up.

1-D_FTW

OK some news:

New iRacing build, release notes for members are here >
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2472116.page

Another R3E licence announced Audi R8 GT LMS Ultra >
http://insider.simbin.com/r3e-licensing-audi-r8-gt-lms-ultra/

Chris Harris on GRID 2, new trailer >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Do0_DIM2PQ8

My account literally expired a day or two ago. I knew that would happen. Oh, well. I'll try the new model some other time.

The thought of someone practicing with GRID 2 out of all games is way too funny. I like the first GRID, but mostly because it was an action racing game. After playing lots of sims it was impossible for me to go back. I literally couldn't drive the cars in that game.

Yeah. That game has completely fallen off my radar now. Even if I could adjust to it, it would just screw me up with other games. It encourages such unrealistic maneuvers you can't do in real racing games.

EDIT: Lack of cockpit really sticks out when they cut from the real footage to the in-game stuff. Ick.

Shaneus

The thought of someone practicing with GRID 2 out of all games is way too funny. I like the first GRID, but mostly because it was an action racing game. After playing lots of sims it was impossible for me to go back. I literally couldn't drive the cars in that game.
Fuck Codemasters.

PS. Dat piss filter! Fucking typical.

Arucardo

I liked the bits that wasn't the game :p . Based on that clip and the other ones I'm not seeing where this "extra detail" they got from removing cockpit view is going.

TJP

At least Codies hired the right guy. Everyone loves Chris Harris.
+1 Chris Harris along with the American fellow who hosts Tuned make the Drive channel worth watching.

Grid WONT be a day 1 or day 30 purchase - it'll be a Steam 75% off sale thanks to their stunningly shite efforts with F1 2012.

Shaneus

I liked the bits that wasn't the game :p . Based on that clip and the other ones I'm not seeing where this "extra detail" they got from removing cockpit view is going.
Just wait for when they announce that F1 2013 doesn't have cockpit either. Bet that'll go down a treat.

"People didn't seem to complain about the lack of them with Grid 2, so we removed them from everything else as well! Did we mention we're merging the F1 and the Race Stars games?"

Xanadu

Banned
bonnet cam>cockpit view

and chris harris is the man but its a shame he couldnt be a part of iracing or something and not that arcade trash

Branson

That Grid 2 video was fucking stupid. I'm sorry, but shouldn't he be strapped to the top of the car trying to drive or something? LOL COCKPIT VIEW. Ugh. Whoever uses Grid 2 to practice driving on a course is doing it wrong.

1-D_FTW

bonnet cam>cockpit view

and chris harris is the man but its a shame he couldnt be a part of iracing or something and not that arcade trash

Sucks video games can only have one option and not offer alternatives. I hate the inflexibility of the medium.

Dilly

Banned
I don't get Codemasters, they're obviously going all out on the arcade route with GRID2 but then they are advertising it as a simulator in that trailer.

Make up your damn minds.

Arucardo

bonnet cam>cockpit view

Bonnet cam is for babies. Imo a proper simulation needs to also "simulate" the visibility (or lack thereof) in the cockpit of certain cars. LeMans prototypes are good examples of this, some of them so little horizontal visibility it's insane (even with a triple screen or TrackIR) and the windshield itself is really far away from the driver.

Watevaman

I'll admit a lot of the time if I'm just going to drive and maybe try to set a fast lap I'll use the roof cams but if I'm racing with other people I'll use a cockpit view, albeit usually adjusted.

Xanadu

Banned
Bonnet cam is for babies. Imo a proper simulation needs to also "simulate" the visibility (or lack thereof) in the cockpit of certain cars. LeMans prototypes are good examples of this, some of them so little horizontal visibility it's insane (even with a triple screen or TrackIR) and the windshield itself is really far away from the driver.

bonnet cam/bumper cam is for people who want to see all the apex's perfectly and set the best lap times, you can choose to limit your view f you want to but i'll stick to what helps me drive the best

plus i see my wheel, hands and surroundings as the dash and the screen as the windscreen

I got an invite a few days ago to RaceRoom but they refuse to send me the activation email for my beta account so i am still unable to play. Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Ok nevermind, the email was sorted as junk :)

1-D_FTW

I got an invite a few days ago to RaceRoom but they refuse to send me the activation email for my beta account so i am still unable to play. Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Ok nevermind, the email was sorted as junk :)

Jeez. I never even thought to look in there (had only 12 items in it). Hauled my wheel out yesterday morning and set everything up, then I never got the confirmation e-mail.

And even before then, had to restart like 5 times (perfectly timing when to disable 3D Vision) to keep from getting just blackness. If the in-game doesn't support 3D, it'll be a big fat pass.

Arucardo

Jeez. I never even thought to look in there (had only 12 items in it). Hauled my wheel out yesterday morning and set everything up, then I never got the confirmation e-mail.

And even before then, had to restart like 5 times (perfectly timing when to disable 3D Vision) to keep from getting just blackness. If the in-game doesn't support 3D, it'll be a big fat pass.

It works but it's quite tricky to get working right now. I'll just wait till they fix it. Don't think TrackIR support is in yet either.

ruttyboy

Forget the shoe salesman's dude-bro game, try a demo with sublime FFB: http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/downloads.html

Game Stock Car 2012 demo is less than 900MB, features most of the cars and 2 tracks with five different layouts and will run for 30 days. Default FFB is excellent.

Took your advice and downloaded this over the weekend. The FFB is better certainly, but it's still missing something. I don't know if this is because I'm just so used to GT5 or what, but there seems to be no feedback between different levels of traction, driving on tarmac and driving on grass, or locking up for example, the steering never goes 'lighter', if you know what I mean.

I've heard so much about PC sims and how they blow GT away in feedback but I'm just not seeing it at the moment. This isn't me trolling by the way I was hoping to transition to PC only rather than the next-gen so I'm a little disappointed/worried at the moment. Especially as I don't want to spend hours installing mods and the like. Surely if they are releasing 'simulators' the FFB should work properly in the vanilla version? Especially for such a well understood wheel as the G25.

Arucardo

Took your advice and downloaded this over the weekend. The FFB is better certainly, but it's still missing something. I don't know if this is because I'm just so used to GT5 or what, but there seems to be no feedback between different levels of traction, driving on tarmac and driving on grass, or locking up for example, the steering never goes 'lighter', if you know what I mean.

I've heard so much about PC sims and how they blow GT away in feedback but I'm just not seeing it at the moment. This isn't me trolling by the way I was hoping to transition to PC only rather than the next-gen so I'm a little disappointed/worried at the moment. Especially as I don't want to spend hours installing mods and the like. Surely if they are releasing 'simulators' the FFB should work properly in the vanilla version? Especially for such a well understood wheel as the G25.

Make sure to go in to the wheel settings (the logitech gaming software) and set spring effect to 0% and uncheck the centering spring box and make sure "allow game to adjust" is checked. Also, setting the range down to 540 degrees is a good idea. You can put the FFB slider up to 107-110% too.

EDIT: you might have to play with the damper setting slider too but I forget if it does anything in GSC, usually it's better to have at 0%.

1-D_FTW

It does work properly in the vanilla version.

People rave about the physics because of how accurate they are. And they are. Not sure what to tell you. Are you disabling all the driving aides? Cause no PC sim should ever be judged with them on.

As for GT5, I owned that for my G27. It's good. But it's definitely on the gamey side even with all the aides turned off. You're never going to confuse GT5 feedback for what you'd get in a real car (atleast with a G25/27). It's got very aggressive feedback.

As for not having different levels of traction or never going lighter, I suspect you've got really bad settings somewhere. Even with wheel driver settings, I think wheels always ship with things sitting at 100 percent. Not sure what your spring effect/damper settings are in the Logitech panel, but most people keep them at 10 percent max (and some even run at 0). Not sure what the default is.

If that doesn't change things, are you sure the wheel even works properly anymore? What are you trying to test specifically?

The latest sims like rfactor 2 seem to be built on advanced simulations that really benefit from belt driven wheels. I found rfactor 2 much more forgiving using my T500 compared with my old G27. With the belt, it really is easy to get immersed and to feel like you're actually driving. Everything behaves like it should. That combo is leagues beyond anything you'll get on consoles.

EDIT: My mini-novel caused me to get beaten:)

2ND EDIT: Edit caused me to use unforgiving instead of forgiving.

Your description sounds like a broken wheel. But if it works in GT5 then I guess something is wrong with the driver/game settings.

ruttyboy

Thanks Arucardo, I’ll try that, I just have it set at whatever the drivers are at when they are installed.

1-D – It’s not my intention to start an argument about which is more ‘accurate’ as it’s not helpful and I’m sure the PC is miles ahead in data terms anyway. I’m just giving my impressions on the feedback I’m getting as a noob to PC sims, and hoping to get good advice on how to reach the PC-based nirvana I’ve always heard about :)

I admit this could very well be because my settings aren’t right, but as it is at the moment, what I get from GT is much closer to my real life experience in driving (including crashing!).

I have all the aids turned off that I can see and I’ll change the spring settings as suggested. Any other tips are gratefully received!

As for the wheel working, that’s the question. I moved house about six months ago and so have only just got the wheel out again. Just prior to packing it up it I was having calibration issues in GT5, in that, after a few laps the ‘centre’ of the wheel was moving to the right, so I was turning left to go straight. I can’t really get the wheel to the PS3 at the moment so I thought I’d test it on the PC to see if I need to ring Logitech/take it apart, but the weird thing is the calibration seems fine so far...

Is your feedback strength a negative value? In ISI-engined games the Logitech wheels need an 'inverted' feedback to feel right. I assume this is the case with GSC.

ruttyboy

Is your feedback strength a negative value? In ISI-engined games the Logitech wheels need an 'inverted' feedback to feel right. I assume this is the case with GSC.

Yes, the default setting on the demo is -100. I imagine it's the logitech drivers that need changing, I'll have a go tonight and report back :)

Darkdeus

Yea try changing your wheel to 540 degrees for GSC 2012 and then change the steering lock in the garage to 22-24 degrees before you drive. The ffb settings in GSC should be medium and -100% ffb strength. Make sure speed sensitivity is off too in the 2nd controller page.

It really does have some of best ffb ever so hopefully you can get it setup correctly.

1-D_FTW

Thanks Arucardo, I’ll try that, I just have it set at whatever the drivers are at when they are installed.

1-D – It’s not my intention to start an argument about which is more ‘accurate’ as it’s not helpful and I’m sure the PC is miles ahead in data terms anyway. I’m just giving my impressions on the feedback I’m getting as a noob to PC sims, and hoping to get good advice on how to reach the PC-based nirvana I’ve always heard about :)

I admit this could very well be because my settings aren’t right, but as it is at the moment, what I get from GT is much closer to my real life experience in driving (including crashing!).

I have all the aids turned off that I can see and I’ll change the spring settings as suggested. Any other tips are gratefully received!

As for the wheel working, that’s the question. I moved house about six months ago and so have only just got the wheel out again. Just prior to packing it up it I was having calibration issues in GT5, in that, after a few laps the ‘centre’ of the wheel was moving to the right, so I was turning left to go straight. I can’t really get the wheel to the PS3 at the moment so I thought I’d test it on the PC to see if I need to ring Logitech/take it apart, but the weird thing is the calibration seems fine so far...

Hard to imagine what could cause drifting in GT5 besides a hardware issue.

Smart idea to see if it's still an issue, cause who knows how much longer Logitech's legendary warranty service is going to last with them exiting the game.

ruttyboy

OK, made the adjustments recommended and it does improve things a lot, so thanks all. Was enjoying myself enough that I'd done quite a few laps of Taruma before I saw the little message in the corner informing me I was going the wrong way. I've never raced the circuit before and I did think that pit exit was a bit strange...

The FFB still seems far more subtle than GT5, but as you say that's probably just different approaches. However, in playing with the Logitech driver settings I found that if I set 'Centering Spring Strength' to 0% from the default 100%, it effectively removed all the FFB effects, even though I didn't have 'Enable Centering Spring in Force Feedback Games' box ticked, does that sound right?

Also, not only did my calibration problem return, but at one point when messing with the driver settings the wheel started freaking out and vibrating like crazy when changing gear. Going to have to ring Logitech and see what they can do for me :(

Darkdeus

Yea that does not sound right. The ffb should feel pretty strong. "Centering Spring Strength" should be set to 0 along with "spring effect strength" and "damper strength." Did you make sure to have "Allow game to adjust settings" checked?

Try setting those to 0 and then "overall effects strength" to 100-107% and see how it feels. Also make sure you don't accidentally hit "f1" while playing because this turns steering help on which messes up the ffb and the steering. All aids should be off except for ABS for the Mini. Just so you know you have to change the steering lock to 22 degrees for the V8's every time you play. Also change the steering from 270 to 540 in your controller.ini file.

TJP

OK, made the adjustments recommended and it does improve things a lot, so thanks all. Was enjoying myself enough that I'd done quite a few laps of Taruma before I saw the little message in the corner informing me I was going the wrong way. I've never raced the circuit before and I did think that pit exit was a bit strange.

Read this setup guide from the developer: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/setup-hints.32429/

According to Alex Sawczuk Reiza Studios on Race Department, the best settings for the G25 and G27 wheels are as follows:

Overall Effects 101%
Spring Effect 0%
Damper Effect 0%
Disabled Centering Spring
Centering Spring 0%
Degrees of rotation is user preference.

Reiza also posted the following regarding wheel rotation: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/degree-of-rotation-g27.40023/

"You should be fine sticking to whatever works for you with the V8s. The default settings (14 degrees of steering lock) are for 270º of rotation, 540º rotation / 20-22 of lock is recommended for all cars in the game. But it´s a matter of preference".

Keep the FFB settings at the default medium setting as any higher introduces canned effects that do not come from the game.

Three60

GRID 2 boxart, release date, preorder details:

MmiKlWV.jpg

May 31st UK
May 28th North America

http://community.codemasters.com/t5...e-Date-Pre-order-Details-And-More/ba-p/202278

I get track DLC packs, but bundling single track layouts and time configurations with different cars is bullshit.

McLaren Racing Pack

McLaren MP4-12C GT3 Special Edition
2 new routes around the Brands Hatch GP Circuit
Special Online Event

GTR Racing Pack

Nissan GT-R Spec road car
Yas Marina daytime circuit
Exclusive online event

TJP

I'm not touching another Codemasters racing game after F1 2012
+1 here. Never forget the unholy mess F1 2012 remains after 12 patches. Good to see Codemasters are following their Dirt 3 DLC plan - I'd wait for the 'complete' edition to be released or mega price drop in a Steam sale. None of our objections will stop Grid 2 from being a huge success though.

RaceRoom RE has been available for 2 days now; any thoughts on the pricing of cars and tracks?

Shaneus

So Raceroom is out of beta? Had no idea.

What *are* the prices?

PS. There's something I still don't like about there not being a full game there. It's just like having rFactor2 beta or pCARS or something like that, except you have to pay for the vast majority of content. Just want that career-ish mode :(

Top Bottom