• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Frawdder

gragy10 said:

Fanatec Porsche Carrera
+ ultra adjustable (important for F1 2011 re: steering range, lock etc)
+ Fanatec Bundle come with Fanatec Wheelstand
- expensive (£190)
- Belt drive instead of gear internals?

I'm quite sure a belt drive is the better option. Much smoother.

Kyaw

Is there any way to play iRacing offline without going through their website?

I have an itch to drive on iRacing but i have no stable/fast/unlimited internet atm to download updates + join official servers.

Kyaw said:
Is there any way to play iRacing offline without going through their website?

I have an itch to drive on iRacing but i have no stable/fast/unlimited internet atm to download updates + join official servers.

The only thing you can do "offline" is run practice laps, but you still need to connect to their website to launch the session. I know of no way to launch a practice run without going to the website.

gragy10

Thanks for the wheel advice all - a little wary of going secondhand g25 when average ebay price only seems to be £50'ish below a new G27.
Thoughts on the G25 vs G27 merits welcome.
Consensus seems to be leaning towards Logitech - are they simply better than Fanatec or is that a consequence of Logitech being the more widely available/advertised brand?..

Logitech's support is amazing, they've shipped me out brand gear for just a minor problem so that's something to consider when spending out.

Haven't tried the Fanatec Carrera but I prefer the G25 to the GT2 in many ways.

mclaren777

ISI just announced the minimum/recommended system specs for rFactor 2.

MINIMUM
CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
Memory: 2 GB of RAM
GPU: nVidia 8600 GT or ATI 3850
Storage: 4 GB

RECOMMENDED
CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2
Memory: 4 GB of RAM
GPU: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI 4870
Storage: 4+ GB

Iknos

Another option not mentioned here about new gaming PCs are laptops. I like the idea but the cost is the biggest problem.

Since it is being put on a projector I don't need to worry about triple screen video cards. It is a perfect size for my home theatre setup and I can take it with me if I wanted to. The price though...

mclaren777

Would any of you guys like me to include updates of Off-Road in this thread? I have my concerns about its physics model (jounce and rebound seem inaccurate) but I'll gladly post updates if people are interested.

Youtube video

VzoyG.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
how the hell did i miss this thread? awesome work

cant wait for rfactor 2

heres another 2 shots of CARS

fd4ymfjgwaeneehmqpmna.jpg

game-0320-012709.jpg

the wheels..wow

Ravenn17

mclaren777 said:
Would any of you guys like me to include updates of Off-Road in this thread? I have my concerns about its physics model (jounce and rebound seem inaccurate) but I'll gladly post updates if people are interested.

Youtube video

VzoyG.jpg

What the hell happened to this game? It seems like it has been limbo for some time now.

mclaren777

Ravenn17 said:
What the hell happened to this game? It seems like it has been limbo for some time now.
Apparently game development takes a long time in the Czech Republic. :)

It should be released next week on September 30th.

mclaren777

New info on the financial forecast for C.A.R.S.

Based on a two year development cycle at a cost of $5 million, Slightly Mad estimates that a $10 share will return $35 if the game hits a $25 million profit, or 657,000 traditional retail sales. A $250 share will return $875 and a $100,000 share $350,000.

Slightly Mad is targeting three million sales of C.A.R.S., a 90 per cent Metacritic and a profit of $52 million. The free-to-play game will include microtransactions priced from 10 cents to $10 and the company has already licensed a number of tracks and manufacturers.
Source

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mclaren777 said:
Slightly Mad is targeting three million sales of C.A.R.S., a 90 per cent Metacritic and a profit of $52 million. The free-to-play game
So they are targeting 3 million disc/game sales of a free-to-play game that will... wait, what?

Cptkrush

Didn't know where I should put this but this seems right.
I'm in the market for a new computer desk, I just ordered the new Fanatec CSR and it's bigger than my current steering wheel. Also I believe the feedback will destroy my wimpy desk. Are any of you guys using a computer desk as your stand? Any suggestions on which one I should get?

I'm so frustrated, I've been looking for a simple Table type desk that's over 40 inches wide with no keyboard tray and just legs and a top, but everything has drawers and shelving...

I've found a glass desk, but I'm worried the force of the wheel could have adverse effects on it, should I worry about that?

The Fanatec table clamp isn't great, it works better on a thinner table or desk top.

Not a lot of help but something to consider if you are buying one.

Toughened glass should be fine I guess, be more worried about scratches than it breaking.

Are you going to be using paddle shifters or the H shifter?

Cptkrush said:
Didn't know where I should put this but this seems right.
I'm in the market for a new computer desk, I just ordered the new Fanatec CSR and it's bigger than my current steering wheel. Also I believe the feedback will destroy my wimpy desk. Are any of you guys using a computer desk as your stand? Any suggestions on which one I should get?

I'm so frustrated, I've been looking for a simple Table type desk that's over 40 inches wide with no keyboard tray and just legs and a top, but everything has drawers and shelving...

I've found a glass desk, but I'm worried the force of the wheel could have adverse effects on it, should I worry about that?
Obligatory Ikea recommendation. They have many tables like you've described.

The thickness of Ikea's LACK table is pushing the limits of the wheel's clamp, it fits but slides around a little, just look for something a little less chunky.

Grayman

mclaren777 said:

Youtube video

VzoyG.jpg
I have had a lot of fun with a demo of that type of driving before. I picked up a 1c hummer game a few years ago but it had wonky pedal input.

Lately I have just been playing GT5 because my ad hoc setup works better at that tv. I have a media center keyboard on the way and am going to pick up a USB extention to get back to GTR Retro.

markao

drugstore_cowboy said:
The thickness of Ikea's LACK table is pushing the limits of the wheel's clamp, it fits but slides around a little, just look for something a little less chunky.
My old desk was like that and a little piece of additional wood/plank will help if necessary.

mclaren777

Ferrari Virtual Academy will soon be getting some DLC in the form of the "Adrenaline Pack", which will add the current 150° Italia Formula One car as well as the F458 Challenge to the title.

The pricing and a release date have not been announced yet.

50wm9.jpg

xTaHL.jpg

mclaren777

I decided to tweak the recent rF2 images because I think the HDR effect is overdone. We as players will be able to adjust everything to our liking so I just faked it with Photoshop.

Method: overlay the HDR version onto the standard version and then drop the opacity of the top layer to 50%

iLjaBh3ULGkav.jpg

iyC0I1c6laA82.jpg

iC9uWJ9Ol2DFZ.jpg

dubc35

For people who have played GTR2/GTL and rFactor, what would be your opinion of rFactor? I played the demo but with all the downloads and community content I don't feel like it's an accurate comparison. I played GTR2 quite a bit. GTR2 is still fun but kind of looking for something different. I'm not really interested in iRacing and I know my computer won't run rFactor 2.

mclaren777

dubc35 said:
I'm not really interested in iRacing and I know my computer won't run rFactor 2.
I'm clearly biased in favor of rFactor so I'll avoid that question for now at least.

But I'm curious to know the specs of your computer.

dubc35

mclaren777 said:
I'm clearly biased in favor of rFactor so I'll avoid that question for now at least.

But I'm curious to know the specs of your computer.
Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-Z520N)
Core 2 duo, p8400 2.26GHz
3GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS

mclaren777

@dubc35

Your GPU isn't ideal but I'm sure rF2 will have a beta or demo for you to try at some point.

I just found this video of DiRT 2 running on a laptop similar to yours and given that FRAPS eats the framerate a little, I'm sure you'll be able to handle rF2 at low to moderate settings.

dubc35

mclaren777 said:
@dubc35
Thanks! Hm, yeah...and I won't have the xmas tree dash ornament lol. Eventually I plan on building a proper PC since I have most of the components from old PC's lying around. I'll demo rF2 and see where I'm at for a future build.

mclaren777 said:

Youtube video

VzoyG.jpg

This was just released on Steam.

$35 is a little much. Wouldn't mind getting some impressions on it before purchasing.

Anyone here pick this up yet?

Ravenn17

I would appreciate impressions too. I haven't heard anything from the press, and I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now.

Top Bottom