• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Even with the same specs, a Desktop will rape it because it has a solid power supply and cooling.

Labtops have limited power and cooling so they can't run the hardware at full speed stable.

bionic77

teh_pwn said:
Even with the same specs, a Desktop will rape it because it has a solid power supply and cooling.

Labtops have limited power and cooling so they can't run the hardware at full speed stable.

Try walking around with your desktop though.

Diablos

The smaller the components are, the more expensive they cost to make.

Running hardware at full speed being stable blah blah blah.

I didn't notice a significant performance decrease from my Athlon XP 2400+ until I underclocked it from 2GHz to 800MHz. Honestly, CPU's are kinda maxed out right now for MOST applications. Hell, my 2400+ running at even 1700+ speeds runs damn near identical. It's only for certain bit torrent programs (ahem), games, mp3/video encoding, dvd ripping, etc. that having the fastest CPU EVAR OMG matters.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
teh_pwn said:

Pentium-M_Logo_100X129.jpg

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=2340

I'd say laptops can hold their own in terms of processing power. ;) It's everything else that hurts it. ;p

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Laptops are PCs.

Desktop vs. Laptop is what you mean.

teh_pwn

"Try walking around with your desktop though."

Try playing Doom III or Half Life 2 with a $1400 labtop at max settings.

xsarien

daedsiluap
teh_pwn said:
"Try walking around with your desktop though."

Try playing Doom III or Half Life 2 with a $1400 labtop at max settings.

I don't think anyone expects to be able to do that.

(You'd need a laptop that costs around $2000 to maybe consider it, and even then you'd be pressing your luck.)

teh_pwn

Well he was throwing functionality at me for no reason, so I threw some back. I thought the thread was about prices and performance, in which case desktops own.

xsarien

daedsiluap
teh_pwn said:
Well he was throwing functionality at me for no reason, so I threw some back. I thought the thread was about prices and performance, in which case desktops own.

You can still get a good price/performance ratio with a laptop, but you have to expect different things.

Also, you can't shove a desktop into a bookbag.

bionic77

teh_pwn said:

I agree that the desktop is totally worth more money if you are going to stay at home all the time with it (as most people do), but the extra price is for the portability which is priceless for a lot of people. I personally prefer desktops because they are cheaper, more powerful, and I hate those laptop trackpads and their keyboards. Didn't laptops start outselling desktops last year?

teh_pwn

"You can still get a good price/performance ratio with a laptop, but you have to expect different things.

Also, you can't shove a desktop into a bookbag."

True, but even as a computer engineer, I've never needed a labtop.

College provides labs everywhere. And I've got my desktop at my dorm.

When co-oping, my employer has like 10 desktops per person.

But I suppose it's best for some people for work. Not my cup of tea though.

bionic77

Wireless internet with a laptop is also officially the bomb. It is so cool to be able to use your laptop anywhere, including outside.

CaptainABAB

I prefer laptops, here are my reasons (besides portability):

- Quiet. The fact that I can't hear ANY fan noise or hard disk noise AT ALL is a godsend to me. In fact, I can't tell whether it is on or not based on sound/noise (DELL D800). Find me one desktop that comes close to this.

- When power goes out, I'm still running. The extra cost of laptops also involves the fact that mine has a battery that provides at least 3 hours.

- Wireless internet - especially when I'm at the airport and other places.

- Nviida GeForce 4 4200 GO Mobile - enough to run 3d games, but not the latest and greatest at super settings. Which is ok with me. On the other hand, I can connect a monitor to the back and I get instant dual monitor goodness.

Downsides
- not the top of the line in terms of graphics
- have to pay more for external hard drives, instead of adding cheaper internal drives
- I hate the trackpad/pointer, which is why I carry a mouse in my bag.
- I use a docking port at work with keyboard, monitor and everything, so it's like a desktop - but this obviously costs my company more
- can be stolen/broken easier (not yet tho)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I decided to go with what I'd consider to be the best of both worlds: I got a desktop replacement class laptop. It's not really any bigger than other 15" inch laptops, and not even that much heavier (the brick of an AC adaptor is a different story, though, but it doesn't matter to me, as the laptop came with a sturdy backpack to put everything in, and carrying it on my back is nothing) This laptop, from Alienware, is more powerful than all of my friends' desktop PCs. With a 3.2ghz processor and user-upgradable graphics card options, it should last a good long while. It's definitely not going to have a problem running Doom 3 or Half-Life 2. But there is a big difference between this PC and a desktop: PRICE. If you want a notebook like this, you're going to have to shell out a lot more money than you would for a desktop with the same specs; this laptop ran over $3,000.

I spent a lot of time researching various notebooks. The bottom line is that unless you're willing to shell out several thousand dollars for something top of the line, if you want to use a PC for gaming and other entertainment purposes, get a desktop. If all you're going to be doing is web browsing and such, a cheap laptop will work just fine. I almost went with a $2000 desktop and a $1000 laptop with the spending budget I had, but it didn't seem worth it in the end for what I wanted to do.

Sai

I guess this would be a nice opportunity to ask about mobile graphics technology. Has it come to a point where we can achieve comparable results to a high-end desktop? What would be the desktop equivelant to the graphics cards found in high-end notebooks these days?

teh_pwn

"With a 3.2ghz processor and user-upgradable graphics card options"

How's the power going to handle a P4 3.2 C (or worse and E) and video card on an application like Half Life 2 or Doom III? The battery would be sucked dry in 45 mins top.

"It's definitely not going to have a problem running Doom 3 or Half-Life 2."

The best you can get with video options is the Ati 9700 Pro mobile. That should be enough to run at medium settings if it truly is as fast as a real 9700 Pro.

If it doesn't come with video, there's no chance it'll run HL2 or Doom III. That processor will choke if it doesn't have help.

And as MAF stated, LCDs are terrible for gaming unless you buy $1000 ones that have no ghosting and have a frame rate of 100 fps at 1024x768.

"What would be the desktop equivelant to the graphics cards found in high-end notebooks these days?"

They don't exits. The highest is 9700 pro mobile. That card is 2 years old.

Timbuktu

I'm guessing that the reason laptop sales are equal/better than desktop nowadays is that for general applications (email, Word etc) laptops are perfectly capable and high-end specs of desktops are giving extra power that are no longer noticeable or needed.

GodsTyro

yeah so basically laptops suck right now (unless u get the best one in existence)..wth are the japanese doing? GET TO IT!!!

GodsTyro

Timbuktu said:
I'm guessing that the reason laptop sales are equal/better than desktop nowadays is that for general applications (email, Word etc) laptops are perfectly capable and high-end specs of desktops are giving extra power that are no longer noticeable or needed.

umm..high-end laptop are needed..people would love to play good games on a laptop...

teh_pwn

That and high end PC gamers build their own desktops, so they don't count as sales.

The fact that labtops sell higher is meaningless to me because the masses buy HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, and Sony computers. All of which are extremely terrible.

Ryu

I'm REALLY interested in the portability of the Sony Vaio TR series preferably the TR3AP2 found at the following link.

The processing speed worries me however. 1.0ghz? Seems slow... am I overreacting? Can it even run office 2003 and photoshop CS well enough? I really do like the portability it offers in terms of weight plus its features in its size are top notch with its wireless networking and the inclusion of an optical drive as most relatively light weight laptops do not include optical drives at all and I'm really not looking for some massive workhorse to play games online or anything like that.

I figured of all places I frequent, GAF would have the best knowledge in that respect. With that being said --

I am also considering a Mac laptop in the form of the iBook.

Aside from being relatively cheap compared to the Viao TR series, I would imagine the video editing of the iBook, namely in Final Cut Pro, would be far better then that of the Viao TR series. I'm not so sure about other apps such as Photoshop CS and Office 2003, but anyone with experience with one of these should feel free to share their insights on them. Am I better offing going with the larger and more expensive Powerbooks?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
teh_pwn said:

How's the power going to handle a P4 3.2 C (or worse and E) and video card on an application like Half Life 2 or Doom III? The battery would be sucked dry in 45 mins top.

Battery life wasn't a factor for me; I think it runs at maybe an hour and a half, tops, but this is a DESKTOP replacement...it's just that it's a hell of a lot easier to bring with me. :) There is nowhere I will ever be where I will need to use a computer and not have a power outlet near me. This laptop is a monster; everything I have read/been told tells me that Doom 3 and HL2 are not going to be a problem on this machine. Running at the maximum settings will obviously be a different story, but I get the feeling most people are going to be experiencing that "issue." :p

MrAngryFace said:
lcds still dont refresh fast enough for me.

I don't get ANY ghosting when playing games, but that's probably a result of the high price this thing cost.

Anyway, when I get a real job, I'm going to buy an ibook or a Powerbook as my main laptop, and leave the desktop replacement at home. For something really portable, I'd want the smallest laptop available, and the 12-inch Macs are awesome.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Lyte Edge said:
I decided to go with what I'd consider to be the best of both worlds: I got a desktop replacement class laptop. It's not really any bigger than other 15" inch laptops, and not even that much heavier (the brick of an AC adaptor is a different story, though, but it doesn't matter to me, as the laptop came with a sturdy backpack to put everything in, and carrying it on my back is nothing) This laptop, from Alienware, is more powerful than all of my friends' desktop PCs. With a 3.2ghz processor and user-upgradable graphics card options, it should last a good long while. It's definitely not going to have a problem running Doom 3 or Half-Life 2. But there is a big difference between this PC and a desktop: PRICE. If you want a notebook like this, you're going to have to shell out a lot more money than you would for a desktop with the same specs; this laptop ran over $3,000.

I spent a lot of time researching various notebooks. The bottom line is that unless you're willing to shell out several thousand dollars for something top of the line, if you want to use a PC for gaming and other entertainment purposes, get a desktop. If all you're going to be doing is web browsing and such, a cheap laptop will work just fine. I almost went with a $2000 desktop and a $1000 laptop with the spending budget I had, but it didn't seem worth it in the end for what I wanted to do.

Alienware definately makes some pretty cool laptops, though they're not the most portable things in the world. I'm curious as to how hot that sucker gets with all those heat-generating PC parts in such a confined space. Even mid-range laptops can get nice and toasty, and with those temp-activated fans kick in the noise starts getting a little annoying. Presently I have my ongoing gamerig PC at home and my now three year old P3-850MHz Dell laptop. It's far from bleeding edge, but to this day it does what I need...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MrAngryFace said:
lcds still dont refresh fast enough for me.

The refresh rates on higher-end LCDs are getting alot better and nothing beats the sheer geometric perfection of an LCD for web browsing, document editing, etc, but when it comes to gaming, I still prefer a CRT. I've yet to see an LCD that could match the black levels of a good monitor, plus with a CRT you're not stuck with one native resolution. When it comes to LCDs, you either run it at the resolution it likes, or you've got resampled crap. That always bothered me, but I suppose it's simply a limitation of the technology.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
teh_pwn said:

teh_pwn said:
Hey guys I don't know what I'm talking about and I want to make it QUITE clear.

Maybe you missed it above, but in the link I showed, you can see how a 2.0 GHz Pentium M is comparable to a P4 3.2 C. The merom architecture is so good in fact that Intel is adopting it as the wave of their future.

xsarien

daedsiluap
GodsTyro said:
yeah so basically laptops suck right now (unless u get the best one in existence)..wth are the japanese doing? GET TO IT!!!

They're really just showing off right now. The Sony X505 is arguably one of the thinnest, if not the thinnest laptop on the market right now.

vaio_x505.jpg

Shompola

Banned
Hey guys.. how good are the AMD64 cpus on the laptops? Comparable to the ones on desktops? How about current efficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom