• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State fans cheer, protesters turn backs during Paterno tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State fans gave a standing ovation after the first of the university's three videos honoring the late Joe Paterno, while some Temple fans in the upper deck turned their backs in protest.

One red-lettered sign, behind the Owls fans, said, "He turned his back. We'll turn ours."

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paterno's first game as head coach -- a 15-7 win over Maryland on Sept. 17, 1966 -- Penn State decided to honor the longtime coach with several videos "on the impact to student-athletes" and by having two co-captains from his first team participate in the coin toss before Saturday's 34-27 win.

The first video aired during a break early in the second quarter.

i

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...zing-anniversary-joe-paterno-first-game-coach

Gross. Penn State still showing they have their head thoroughly lodged up their own ass.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Embarrassing cult remains embarrassing. The alumni council is still waiting for the post death miracle to be confirmed so he can achieve saint hood.

DominoKid

You'd think they'd want to quietly erase him and this whole thing but no...

You erase him you erase the whole University ever being relevant. Short of news coming out that he himself molested kids they're not doing that even though they should.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Very odd thing to do tributes to him in the first place

You would think the university would have given him the Chris Benoit treatment

As a Penn State student, I'm proud to know our team's former coach was complicit in covering for a pedophile.

-a fucking stupid Penn State student

clav

I don't understand why the NCAA only becomes involved when a student accepts money (see Stanford football student). University had to issue a worldwide apology for violation shame.

Meanwhile, there is no response at all to rape. All these football schools continue to have their programs like nothing happened.

Is there no justice?

I would say the people protesting there, should probably just not show up at all. They'd be better off not contributing to this gross program anymore

Come on. Growing up a Penn State fan I liked Joe Pa at one point, but people need to get their priorities straight. I know it sucks having an idol fall, but it happens and you need to accept it and move on.

Ishan

You erase him you erase the whole University ever being relevant. Short of news coming out that he himself molested kids they're not doing that even though they should.

Do people actually study there, or is all they do play football and fuck kids?

Penn State is so fucking filthy, come the fuck on

Way to generalize everyone and insult ppl . A more better way to voice your opinion is this

Come on. Growing up a Penn State fan I liked Joe Pa at one point, but people need to get their priorities straight. I know it sucks having an idol fall, but it happens and you need to accept it and move on.

Thanks for being level headed and not insult all ppl from penn state unlike some posters .

Edit : as an international grad student here there are many things amazing about psu . Never got the unending admiration for joe pa . Yes it's a football school but quite frankly undergrad students ( ... We grads are another pool altogether) spend most of their time just being normal college students you know working partying Greek life etc . It's not like football rules their lives.

I do feel the joe pa thing continues due to 1) a misplaced sense of solidarity 2) he himself wasn't convicted of any crime 3) all these things apart him and his family did contribute to the area for example they took his statue down but our main library is still the patti and paterno library (him and his wife donated to set it up) ... He was just ridiculously revered here. I kid you not on my flight here I mentioned to a co passenger I was going to start at psu he said joe paterno I went who . And he went he's almost as famous as a president three you'll know who he is soon . So yes a definite cultist aspect around him too.

4) this will fade the next generation probably won't give two hoots about joe pA

Way to generalize everyone and insult ppl . A more better way to voice your opinion is this

I'm not generalizing. Penn State, the institution, is vile. Penn State is what ran this celebration of a child rape enabler only 5 years after he was fired for it. Penn State is the one that knew about these kids and did nothing to help them. Penn State is the one who fought it every step of the way and demanded their vacated wins back despite having gotten them at the expense of children. Penn State is the one that still sells Paterno merch in the bookstore. Penn State is the one that allows "Peachy Paterno" ice cream to be sold on campus. Penn State is the one that has a giant Paterno mural on the wall of their downtown bookstore, with a fucking halo of all things over his head.

So, no. I'm not generalizing. Penn State is repugnant, repulsive, and abhorrent. They're the walking epitome of a place where football success is placed above literally everything else, including child rape. It's the place that, by not loudly and frequently decrying Paterno from their premises, allows the Penn State community to continue to act as though they are the victims, not the kids that were raped. It's their actions that allow movements to restore Paterno's statue on campus, or for alumni to send vitriol to the student newspaper editor for daring to say they shouldn't be celebrating a man who aided and abetted a child rapist for decades on campus. One told her that they "hope God can forgive her, because [they] can't."

So, again: Penn State is the fucking worst. If there was any sense in this country they wouldn't have a football team at all right now. But no. If nothing else, Penn State reminds us that football reigns above all else. Including caring for the health and safety of children.

I'm not generalizing. Penn State, the institution, is vile. Penn State is what ran this celebration of a child rape enabler only 5 years after he was fired for it. Penn State is the one that knew about these kids and did nothing to help them. Penn State is the one who fought it every step of the way and demanded their vacated wins back despite having gotten them at the expense of children. Penn State is the one that still sells Paterno merch in the bookstore. Penn State is the one that allows "Peachy Paterno" ice cream to be sold on campus. Penn State is the one that has a giant Paterno mural on the wall of their downtown bookstore, with a fucking halo of all things over his head.

So, no. I'm not generalizing. Penn State is repugnant, repulsive, and abhorrent. They're the walking epitome of a place where football success is placed above literally everything else, including child rape. It's the place that, by not loudly and frequently decrying Paterno from their premises, allows the Penn State community to continue to act as though they are the victims, not the kids that were raped. It's their actions that allow movements to restore Paterno's statue on campus, or for alumni to send vitriol to the student newspaper editor for daring to say they shouldn't be celebrating a man who aided and abetted a child rapist for decades on campus. One told her that they "hope God can forgive her, because [they] can't."

So, again: Penn State is the fucking worst. If there was any sense in this country they wouldn't have a football team at all right now. But no. If nothing else, Penn State reminds us that football reigns above all else. Including caring for the health and safety of children.

This should be stickied into every Penn State thread.

Fluvian

Banned
It seems like they need to take a page from WWE's book, when one of their wrestlers does something awful, Chris Benoit, Hulk Hogan, Jimmy Snuka etc they completely blank them out from everything.

Brakke

Banned
I don't understand why the NCAA only becomes involved when a student accepts money (see Stanford football student). University had to issue a worldwide apology for violation shame.

Meanwhile, there is no response at all to rape. All these football schools continue to have their programs like nothing happened.

Is there no justice?

What are you talking about? The NCAA put sanctions on Penn State.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/penn-state-sanctions

Several of them were subsequently reduced, but the response was certainly more than "nothing".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You'll have an easier time convincing anti-vaxxers that vaccines are harmless.

Penn State/Paterno fans simply don't believe he was involved in anything.

It apparently was nowhere near enough.

The death penalty should have applied. And the penalties should have never been reduced. But money talks.

FStubbs

The Penn State creamery shows how sick the culture was. You mentioned Peachy Paterno. Well, apparently they had a "Sandusky Blitz" ice cream there too. I kid you not, it was, and I quote, "banana-flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl." I mean, they had to know! Sick.

It's actually an okay state school, but it would be no way famous if not for the football program. It's hardly the only school like that.

I mean, you can say that about the entire B1G sans Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisco. It's one of the reasons why CFB is still such a big thing, since it acts as advertisements for the schools themselves.

More people should read this.

This weekend, former players and tens of thousands of fans paid homage to the late Joe Paterno on the 50th anniversary of his first game as head coach. Paterno happened to win 409 games over 46 years and gave his college town a national identity as a football powerhouse before we found out his real legacy: enabler of a convicted pedophile who raped boys over at least four decades.

Joe Pa knew. He knew and he did nothing. He knew in 2001 and 1998 and, because of unsealed court documents, we learned this summer that he also knew as far back as 1976.

Leaders of men do not deserve to be commemorated if they cannot protect children. Taking the good parts of a man’s life and celebrating them – paying homage for all the character-building he did for his players – disrespects and demeans the boys who became men after they were abused by Sandusky, especially the ones whom Paterno knew about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom