• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentium 4 3.2 owned by Pentium M 2.0, 1.8 and oh yeah...the 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
CaptainABAB said:
Except for some encoding and similar benchmarks, Pentium M is having his way with his fat, sweaty brother, P4.

Did I mention that they also kick the Athlon 64 in the nuts a few times?

Check out the benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2129

It's important to note that the 3.2 P4 is running in single channel PC2700 to match the typical P4 notebook configuration, and probably at slower FSB as well.

Having said that, I can't wait until multi-core, dual-channel 64bit version of Dothan comes out for desktops.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
they did that to get rid of sub system advantages as they stated in the match up. I wouldnt be surprised if Intel scrapped the Pentium and went with the cooler running pentium M for their next gen.

CaptainABAB

Doh - I missed that section of the article completely!!

Tricky bastards!!!

"However, for our Athlon 64 and Pentium 4 tests, we had to use desktop platforms configured to the specifications of the Winbook W360 in order to produce comparable numbers. Thus, we used a laptop hard drive (IBM Travelstar 5400RPM drive), a Radeon 9600 clocked to the speeds of the mobility 9600 in the W360 (351MHz core, 189MHz memory) and limited ourselves to single channel DDR333 memory run at the same timings as the memory in the W360 (2.5-3-2-7).

While you can obviously find faster desktop platforms than this, our goal was to do as close to an apples-to-apples comparison of the mobile CPUs as possible - and remember that if you have a mobile Athlon 64 or mobile Pentium 4 system, they are going to be configured like this and not like a dual channel DDR400 desktop system (presently, there are no dual channel DDR mobile chipsets). "

MASB

The P4 is one of the worst designed chips in recent memory. It's built only for pure speed, efficenty has never been its strong point.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
My "Better Half" just got given a laptop by the Education Authority (at last! shes been waiting for one under the "Laptops for Teachers" initative for about 2 years)

It came about 2 weeks ago, and was nicely specced with a Dothan 1.6 & Mobility Radeon 9700. :)

Needless to say most of my gaming collection is on it already for those jaunts away from home. It really is an awesome performer. (Like me :D)

Vennt.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"there not even runnings XP 64bits."

3273.png

If you thought those were XPs, you're crazy. Those aren't even close to P4 Cs.

If you're implying that they're not running the *AMD 64s* at 64bits, then that doesn't matter. Intel has their own 64 bits of these processors coming out, and 64 bit tech isn't out yet. What's the point of a 64 bit processor now?

fart

Savant
i don't think anyone at intel predicted that the p6 core would have so much life in it after the intel thought control ray instructed them not to.

the p4 was designed to be clocked as fast as possible and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom