• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Jerk

Banned
Okay, I feel better now knowing what kind of resistance the game is throwing at me.

I am still not going to grind though...

The increased chance of missing is quite possibly the worse of the lot...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Peff said:
Every Combination Skill is now an item. I guess they did that to prevent people spamming Armaggeddon and Victory Cry, rendering the game a snorefest :lol

Those + the Orbs = instant win. I think it's perfect for NG+ runs though if you're trying to play for the story.

Yaweee said:
Information from the Japanese release wasn't very specific about difficulty levels, so its not sure what is perceived and what is real as far as tweaks are between Hard/Maniacs, and FES' Hard mode. Most of the new gameplay changes make it relatively easier, if everything else was equal, but the incorporation of P4's knockdown rules are a fairly large difficulty increase. In earlier versions of P3, casting an all-hit spell needed to hit every target with a weakness, but now even hitting one results in another turn. Absolutely devestating, as a *normal* hit from an enemy can take off more than 50% of your health on Maniacs.

Yeah, you have to always block if you are facing someone who can hit you with a spell that one of your party members are weak against.

Yaweee

Jerk 2.0 said:
Okay, I feel better now knowing what kind of resistance the game is throwing at me.

I am still not going to grind though...

The increased chance of missing is quite possibly the worse of the lot...

I'm not certain of that, though. None of the posts I've read elsewhere (or JP blogs crammed through Google Translate) say anything about hit chance. That's just how it seems to me, and it really isn't that much higher than normal if it is. It could also just be that I'm underleveled-- SMT combat algorithms are based heavily and explicitly on your level relative to the enemy's.

Jerk

Banned
Yaweee said:
I'm not certain of that, though. None of the posts I've read elsewhere (or JP blogs crammed through Google Translate) say anything about hit chance. That's just how it seems to me, and it really isn't that much higher than normal if it is. It could also just be that I'm underleveled-- SMT combat algorithms are based heavily and explicitly on your level relative to the enemy's.

I did not know that about levels...

Since I am always under-leveled in SMT games, it would explain why I usually have the most trouble in the beginning.

Lucky enough, by the time you start getting more tools, every single SMT game I have played becomes absurdly easy to exploit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So is getting tired something you have to plan around, or am i supposed to be preventing it somehow?

Curufinwe

I went to the end of the first block of Tartarus in one night without anyone in my party getting tired. Compared to the original P3, it seems to be a non-issue.

I'm glad I'm playing on Hard cause the boss battles are challenging so far, but having to pay 4x in the Compendium is going to suck when it comes to trying to always have a Persona of the right Arcana for S.Links.

Yaweee

12h40m, just finished the second month. Really liking it so far. It might be the best of the Persona games.

kman3000 said:
I just defeated the 5/9 full moon.

When do I gain access to the compendium?

Like, tomorrow or something. Really soon.

Curufinwe said:
I went to the end of the first block of Tartarus in one night without anyone in my party getting tired. Compared to the original P3, it seems to be a non-issue.

I'm glad I'm playing on Hard cause the boss battles are challenging so far, but having to pay 4x in the Compendium is going to suck when it comes to trying to always have a Persona of the right Arcana for S.Links.

Getting tired only happens after Tartarus, or if you leave their body on a floor and leave it.

I'm actually liking Maniac's increased costs. It adds quite a bit of interplay between the two halves of the game; I need to spend so much money on basic equipment and healing items that I can't just fill my inventory with the right Persona for S. Links, and I like that. It makes me weigh the relative benefits between where to spend my time, knowing that I'm not necessarily getting the max number of points per session.

mattiewheels said:
So is getting tired something you have to plan around, or am i supposed to be preventing it somehow?

No, you can use a Tired-b-gone or whatever it is you buy at the school store.

Jerk

Banned
Ugh, dying is so annoying.

Either I have to forfeit the night, use an expensive item or use a much weakened character.

I need recarm baaad.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Ugh, dying is so annoying.

Either I have to forfeit the night, use an expensive item or use a much weakened character.

I need recarm baaad.

The old trick I used to use was pretty straightforward. Run straight up the floors and avoid every Shadow. Flee from battles if you run into any by accident. Go all the way up to the floor boss and teleport down and save. Then teleport back up and clear the floors to your heart's content.

Also, Homonculus is your friend.

Jerk

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The old trick I used to use was pretty straightforward. Run straight up the floors and avoid every Shadow. Flee from battles if you run into any by accident. Go all the way up to the floor boss and teleport down and save. Then teleport back up and clear the floors to your heart's content.

Also, Homonculus is your friend.

The problem is that fighting then feels like a chore instead of automatic.

I think I will just stick it out until I get good enough skills to wipe the floor with the shadows.

Jerk

Banned
Was able to get to the first barrier.

I think I might place this game aside and play FES instead.

I think there is a lot that is lost with scenes being done the way that they are in the PsP edition.

Ok, I'm fairly early on in the game, reached level 7 of Tartarus no problem, but keep running into Death. I was able to run away a couple times, but on the third he killed me very quickly. I know I'm not supposed to fight him this early in the game, but how the hell do you avoid him? What the hell am I missing?

DidntKnowJack said:
Ok, I'm fairly early on in the game, reached level 7 of Tartarus no problem, but keep running into Death. I was able to run away a couple times, but on the third he killed me very quickly. I know I'm not supposed to fight him this early in the game, but how the hell do you avoid him? What the hell am I missing?
He comes if you draw the death arcana (very rare) or if you spend too long on a floor.

Giolon

I picked up this game off of PSN today knowing how much a friend of mine at work raved about the PS2 version back in the day.

I wasn't sure how much I'd like it since I wasn't a big fan of Devil Survivor. So far I think it's pretty awesome, though I got a game over after not saving for two hours at the hands of
Death
. I can't say Mitsuru didn't warn me. She told me to run away but like a dumbass I didn't. :lol

I feel kind of awkward as an adult roleplaying a highschool student though...it almost of feels creepy as all the characters are going "hey check out those hot girls!" or "hey are you together with so-and-so? She's cute." >.>.....

ShockingAlberto said:
He comes if you draw the death arcana (very rare) or if you spend too long on a floor.
Well, I definitely didn't draw the death arcana. I must have been on that floor too long, though I didn't think I was. But I was actually having a hard time finding the stairs to the next level.

It's no big deal, I had just saved before that happened, but I wanted to make sure I avoided him the next time I booted up the game.

Jerk

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Well, I definitely didn't draw the death arcana. I must have been on that floor too long, though I didn't think I was. But I was actually having a hard time finding the stairs to the next level.

It's no big deal, I had just saved before that happened, but I wanted to make sure I avoided him the next time I booted up the game.

I believe there to be an element of randomness when it comes to his appearance.

There have been floors that I have spent a good deal of time on and not met him, and there are others where he appears before I have seen half of the floor.

Not to mention the floors where he has a greater chance of appearing in (the ones where there are not any enemies are an example).

kman3000

Yaweee said:
12h40m, just finished the second month. Really liking it so far. It might be the best of the Persona games.

Like, tomorrow or something. Really soon.
Thanks, I figured this like seconds after posting that.:lol

PSA:

For those of you who prefer the original Japanese voice work (hello Fuuka! :lol), an undub version of P3P has been released to Teh Intarwebs! Google for it to get Fuuka's original cute voice! :lol

Yaweee

Giolon said:
I picked up this game off of PSN today knowing how much a friend of mine at work raved about the PS2 version back in the day.

I wasn't sure how much I'd like it since I wasn't a big fan of Devil Survivor. So far I think it's pretty awesome, though I got a game over after not saving for two hours at the hands of
Death
. I can't say Mitsuru didn't warn me. She told me to run away but like a dumbass I didn't. :lol

I feel kind of awkward as an adult roleplaying a highschool student though...it almost of feels creepy as all the characters are going "hey check out those hot girls!" or "hey are you together with so-and-so? She's cute." >.>.....

You can leave from virtually any floor, and return to the same exact floor by going into the main entrance rather than the portal on the side of the lobby. There's no reason at all to ever go more than ~20 minutes without saving.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it seems to be somewhat broken though as the battle voices are still in English, but that's fine.

Not anymore..:D

Some guys have done a 100% perfect undub of the game with all the voices in Japanese. X3.....

Giolon

Yaweee said:
You can leave from virtually any floor, and return to the same exact floor by going into the main entrance rather than the portal on the side of the lobby. There's no reason at all to ever go more than ~20 minutes without saving.
Yeah it was a big fat noob mistake.

Yaweee said:

Was this in FES as well?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
Yeah, you could always leave either via the pads or items/spells.

Here's one thing I've always wondered - for anyone who has played the Japanese version (or undub) of the game, how is Bebe represented?

I mean, the localization makes him into a "weaboo" and then makes him super French as well, which I imagine is a stereotype to annoy Americans who hate French people. I kind of wonder if in the Japanese version he's some super stud European guy or something.

firehawk12 said:
^
Yeah, you could always leave either via the pads or items/spells.

Here's one thing I've always wondered - for anyone who has played the Japanese version (or undub) of the game, how is Bebe represented?

I mean, the localization makes him into a "weaboo" and then makes him super French as well, which I imagine is a stereotype to annoy Americans who hate French people. I kind of wonder if in the Japanese version he's some super stud European guy or something.

You could seriously go back to the same floor you left from by going through the main entrance?

Yaweee

Baloonatic said:
You could seriously go back to the same floor you left from by going through the main entrance?

No, not in FES. You could leave via Traesto items, Fuuka's ability, or the one-way portals, but you wouldn't resume at the same floor you left at. That was added in P4, and is now in P3P.

Still can't get over Junpei's voice clip being cut to "Son of a...".

Obviously, you can tell that if that's my only complaint, I'm having a blast playing through this in Maniacs. It's just one of those "why just why" things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yaweee said:
No, not in FES. You could leave via Traesto items, Fuuka's ability, or the one-way portals, but you wouldn't resume at the same floor you left at. That was added in P4, and is now in P3P.

Ah, you could only go back to one of the checkpoint floors? I just don't remember that.

mollipen

Unknown Soldier said:
PSA:

For those of you who prefer the original Japanese voice work (hello Fuuka! :lol), an undub version of P3P has been released to Teh Intarwebs! Google for it to get Fuuka's original cute voice! :lol

Fuuka's English voice is awesome. This is crazy talk.

Curufinwe

firehawk12 said:

No way he can be a super stud looking like he does.

Peff

Holy Order Sol said:
Still can't get over Junpei's voice clip being cut to "Son of a...".

Obviously, you can tell that if that's my only complaint, I'm having a blast playing through this in Maniacs. It's just one of those "why just why" things.

That was like that in FES too as far as I remember... (we're talking about the All-Out attacks, right?)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Curufinwe said:
No way he can be a super stud looking like he does.

I don't know man... the whole "beautiful boy" thing is such an anime trope.

Also, Ken should not be a romance option. What were they thinking?

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it seems to be somewhat broken though as the battle voices are still in English, but that's fine.

There's a 2nd revision of that undub which fixes the battle voices in English.

shidoshi said:
Fuuka's English voice is awesome. This is crazy talk.

*gasp* THE ENEMY! :lol :lol

firehawk12 said:
Also, Ken should not be a romance option. What were they thinking?

They were probably thinking they had to hit the shotacon demographic? :lol

But yeah, fuck Ken. Fuck him right up the ass with a rusty broadsword. He had such a stupid side story and the little motherfucker
got Shinjiro killed
. I can never forgive him for that because of how awesome
Shiniro
was.

Yaweee

Finished the third full moon event, at 19 hours. That's shaving off about 20~30% of the time compared to my FES or P3 playthroughs, with added time spent in Tartarus due to Maniacs mode.

It's awesome so far.

RedSwirl

How updated does the male protagonist campaign feel? I don't think I'll be doing female protag.

Also, I still haven't gotten very far into FES.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unknown Soldier said:
But yeah, fuck Ken. Fuck him right up the ass with a rusty broadsword. He had such a stupid side story and the little motherfucker
got Shinjiro killed
. I can never forgive him for that because of how awesome
Shiniro
was.

Well, even that gets retconned, whether people like it or not. :lol

But seriously... P4 had the loli so I guess they had to go shouta here to make it even? :p

FredFish

ProudClod said:
But you should avoid it at all costs.

The Answer is the biggest PoS Atlus has ever made.

Opinions...everyone has them. I won't argue that The Answer is some pinnacle of gaming but it's hardly a "PoS". If you like the cast of characters it's worth going through as it fleshs out their stories more plus it has some excellent boss fights. Not everyone's cup of tea but neither are Atlus games in general

Peff said:
That was like that in FES too as far as I remember... (we're talking about the All-Out attacks, right?)

Yeah. Not sure about it being the case in FES though, I probably skipped manually more often than not.

Wizpig

Yeah he said "Come back here you son of a -!"
or something like that.

It's more comical this way, I'd say.

... And now, the question I wanted to ask: am I the only one still waiting for his copy?! T_T

Some questions:

- The campaign is similar enough to FES to be able to follow a S-Link guide? I heard some things about not being able to study after being in Tartarus, and similar things, that may made the S-Link FES guides obsolete.

- I have P4 option of manually control all the characters?

Wizpig

Wait, even in FES if you go to Tartarus you can't study afterwards.
At least I think it's like that.

Yes, you can control your party members, not just the MC, like in Persona 4.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DangerousDave said:
Some questions:

- The campaign is similar enough to FES to be able to follow a S-Link guide? I heard some things about not being able to study after being in Tartarus, and similar things, that may made the S-Link FES guides obsolete.

- I have P4 option of manually control all the characters?

For the Male character, you can follow the guide on GameFAQs AFAIK. There may be more efficient options because of the Game Center thing though.
For the Female character, someone translated a Japanese guide and posted it in the GameFAQs forums. An English FAQ is in the works though, because while you do get the right order to do things, it doesn't tell you which dialog options to pick to get the most points.

And yeah, you can control all the characters manually.

Top Bottom